Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

hmmm wrote: »
    Knowing nothing about this, what is the live virus providing to people which the vaccines aren't? Would this suggest that a booster with something like an attenuated vaccine would fill in some sort of immunological jigsaw piece?

Isn't the dosage interval currently set at 16 weeks for AZ but they're gonna bring it back down to 12 shortly? So you'll be up in the next fortnight - if not sooner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

NIAC go out of the way to not say what the AZ gap in Ireland actually is https://rcpi-live-cdn.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/NIAC-Letter-to-CMO-re-horizon-scanning-24.05.2021-1.pdf
    Interval between first and second dose Vaxzevria® in view of emerging B.1617.2 (Indian
    variant). NIAC notes that the UK has reduced the interval between doses of Vaxzevria® and
    mRNA vaccines from 12 weeks to 8 weeks to provide earlier protection against this variant.
    NIAC notes that the interval between doses of mRNA vaccines in Ireland has not exceeded 4
    weeks and will keep the issue of the interval between two doses of Vaxzevria® under review.

HSE says at most 12 weeks https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/hcpinfo/guidelines/covid19.pdf page 24
    The vaccine is authorised as a two dose course 4-12 weeks apart. It is generally recommended the two doses are given 8-12 apart because of recent evidence which shows that higher efficacy of 82% was reported when the second dose was given after 12 weeks.If the interval between doses is longer than 12 weeks, the second dose should be given as soon as possible. The course does not need to be restarted.The minimum interval is 4 weeks (28 days). If the interval between doses is less than 28 days, a further dose is not required. If the second dose was given between 24 and 27 days after the first dose, it is a valid dose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Apogee wrote: »

That letter also seems to raise the possibility of u50 second doses of AZ (so HCW etc) being changed to MRNA which would further impact on rollout. Emerging data on second doses not as risk free as was thought. Hopefully they don't feel they need to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Freaky

I’m now 14weeks after my 1st dose AZ vaccine (HCW) and still waiting to hear about my 2nd. I should had been offered my 2nd 2 weeks ago as am high risk- so frustrating!

Have you called the HSE helpline and enquired when your vaccine is? I am also a HCW and recieved my second dose yesterday (at 13 weeks after first dose). I would have missed the appointment if I had not called them as the text never came through and appears to be a common issue. Best of luck and hope you get it soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Vaccination of 12-15 year olds:
    - EMA approval expected this week. Good news. Quicker than some expected. BUT ...
    - "NIAC is examining the incidence & severity of Covid-19 in infants & children". I really hope the NIAC examine the full picture. It is not just about stopping disease in children. It is also about stopping transmission and getting us closer to herd immunity. Ireland has the highest under 16 population in the EU.
    - NIAC "will consider recommendations for children with high risk medical conditions, those living with immunocompromised persons and the ethical issues of recommending the vaccine for healthy adolescents." Are NIAC hinting that they will attach pre-conditions to 12-15 year old vaccinations? Not good if so. The US and Canada have vaccinated 12-15 year olds without pre-conditions. We should do the same. Alternatively, are the NIAC simply saying that those with underlining health conditions will be done first?

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1397950261805654016

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭noplacehere

My father in law just rang saying that because I’m under 50 I won’t get the second dose of AstraZeneca I’ll be given something else? It was on the six o clock news apparently. I’m in my thirties and very high risk. I can’t find any information on line so did he misconstrue something?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

My father in law just rang saying that because I’m under 50 I won’t get the second dose of AstraZeneca I’ll be given something else? It was on the six o clock news apparently. I’m in my thirties and very high risk. I can’t find any information on line so did he misconstrue something?

He misheard.

I wouldn't blame him though, Geroge Lee was getting himself all worked up over it.

Point 1 of the NIAC letter to CMO they continue to keep dose 2 of AZ under review. No change

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭noplacehere

He misheard.

I wouldn't blame him though, Geroge Lee was getting himself all worked up over it.

Point 1 of the NIAC letter to CMO they continue to keep dose 2 of AZ under review. No change

Thank you. I was very much wtf that’s out of line for them. Like presumably we’d need to be fully redone with Pfizer or moderna then coz there’s no studies out yet if mixing vaccine types as far as I’m aware

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Thank you. I was very much wtf that’s out of line for them. Like presumably we’d need to be fully redone with Pfizer or moderna then coz there’s no studies out yet if mixing vaccine types as far as I’m aware

There are results out in Spain and some coming out in the Uk as well. You’d hope/ think that NIAC has more in depth analysis of these studies. Plus Germany, France are doing this too. The letter they sent seems to me like they are seeing a higher number in dose 2 of adverse events than expected. So we could very well see a change in the next week or two. If they don’t do it by then, there will really be no point in doing it (end of June/ first week of July is around the 12 week post period when they stopped giving it to under 50s).

A 44 year old BBC radio presenter in the UK died from blood clots after having the AZ vaccine. The case is being investigated.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-57267169

It's very sad, and it shows the human story behind the statistics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭chasm

Is it possible to change the vaccination centre location you are allocated? There is a vaccination centre in my nearest town, but they have given me an appointment for over 30 miles away, so will need to get a bus or train and then a taxi from the station!

Flying Fox wrote: »
    A 44 year old BBC radio presenter in the UK died from blood clots after having the AZ vaccine. The case is being investigated.

Yeah, I'm not touching AZ. I decided that long ago.

I'm getting second AZ dose in just over 3 weeks :eek::eek:

Was nervous getting 1st.

Hoping risk goes down with second dose.

Would'nt be happy at my wife getting AZ or J&J.

Heart Inflammation more likely in males for pfzier apparently.

Blood clots in brain more likely for women in J&J and AZ apparently.

Who would have thought 2021 would be so much fun?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

:rolleyes:

I'm getting second AZ dose in just over 3 weeks :eek::eek:

Was nervous getting 1st.

Hoping risk goes down with second dose.

Would'nt be happy at my wife getting AZ or J&J.

Heart Inflammation more likely in males for pfzier.

Blood clots in brain more likely for women in J&J and AZ.

Who would have thought 2021 would be so much fun?

Health in 2019 was only a passing thought.:rolleyes:
    The heart inflammation risk in men is statistical noise, with the caveat that with no circulating respiratory viral illnesses beyond Corona are really being reported, so it's a little odd how those cases arose. But still, the risk is remote.

You'd have a better chance getting hit crossing the road than having complications from AZ. I had pulmonary embolism (blood clots in the lungs) in January when I got covid and so did lots of people in the ICU with me. Your chance of getting blood clots are much higher from Covid than the vaccine, I think people should take whatever is offered to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Flying Fox wrote: »

What are the age constraints for AZ in the UK?

Or are there any at all?

The heart inflammation risk in men is statistical noise, with the caveat that with no circulating respiratory viral illnesses beyond Corona are really being reported, so it's a little odd how those cases arose. But still, the risk is remote.

They said that with AZ in UK until over 20 million rolled out.

Israel & US both investigating heart inflammation.

Cohort most likely affected appears to be under 30 males.

Who would have thought vaccinating the world was going to have no side effects.

Blood clots and heart inflammation common also in covid infection.

Woody79 wrote: »

Yep. I had both heart inflammation and blood clots with covid. I am a 31 year old male with no underlying health conditions. Thankfully the inflammation appears to have subsided and my lungs dont appear to be damaged (much). I was in the hospital for 10 days and in ICU for 3 days.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    What are the age constraints for AZ in the UK?

Or are there any at all?

40, but you can waive and take AZ if you wish.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-northern-ireland-no-deaths-fewer-than-90-cases-and-vaccine-programme-extended-40474926.html

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

You'd have a better chance getting hit crossing the road than having complications from AZ. I had pulmonary embolism (blood clots in the lungs) in January when I got covid and so did lots of people in the ICU with me. Your chance of getting blood clots are much higher from Covid than the vaccine, I think people should take whatever is offered to them.

You have people on these boards telling everyone how they personally “wouldn’t touch AZ”. I’m happy for them but I can’t help feel that this is normally the sort of thing you might say to yourself or your family rather than announcing it on a public forum. There are loads of us, working in healthcare and aged in 60s, who had no choice but to get AZ.

What I find strange is that people have no problem opening a packet of paracetamol or ibuprofen. Did you know that for people who are not on prescription painkillers, the risk of a gastric bleed is still 1 in 1000 for ordinary painkillers? https://www.reuters.com/article/us-painkillers-bleeding-idUSTRE6224XA20100303

The risk of a person in their forties getting a CVST from AZ is 1 in 100,000. The risk of dying is 1 in million.

• Advertisement

I have to cross the road. I don't have to take AZ. That's the point. I'll wait for Pfizer, I'm patient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,134 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

chasm wrote:
    Is it possible to change the vaccination centre location you are allocated? There is a vaccination centre in my nearest town, but they have given me an appointment for over 30 miles away, so will need to get a bus or train and then a taxi from the station!

Yes. A poster on the vaccine appointment thread was successfully doing this. He posted the update today so it should be easy to find on the thread

Yep. I had both heart inflammation and blood clots with covid. I am a 31 year old male with no underlying health conditions. Thankfully the inflammation appears to have subsided and my lungs dont appear to be damaged (much). I was in the hospital for 10 days and in ICU for 3 days.

Puts things in perspective.

Happy to have got 1st dose of vaccine.

Hope your doing well and continue to improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It tells you a lot that 20 million doses were required before any statistical significance was found. Blood clots and heart inflammation are common in covid, but certainly not with any vaccine.

I have to cross the road. I don't have to take AZ. That's the point. I'll wait for Pfizer, I'm patient.

Well not everyone was in your position. Many healthcare workers felt they had no choice but to take AZ because that was what was available and their job mean that they were exposed to COVID.

Woody79 wrote: »
    Puts things in perspective.

Happy to have got 1st dose of vaccine.

Hope your doing well and continue to improve.

Thanks :) I am doing well, back to about 90% health I think and I shouldn't (touch wood) have any long term complications. I got my first vaccine yesterday (Pfizer), I dont have any underlying conditions... except the hospital stay for covid so I am thinking maybe I was given the vaccine because of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,134 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

revelman wrote:
    The risk of a person in their forties getting a CVST from AZ is 1 in 100,000. The risk of dying is 1 in million.

What is the risk someone in their 40s when taking Pfizer by comparison?

It tells you a lot that 20 million doses were required before any statistical significance was found. Blood clots and heart inflammation are common in covid, but certainly not with any vaccine.

1 in 100,000 is common enough tbh.

Sleeper12 wrote: »

There is no comparable risk that I know of for Pfizer. There are reports of a theoretical link to myocarditis but it tends to be in people under 40 and that link is still theoretical. So, for someone in their 40s, Pfizer would seem to pose no significant risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Sleeper12 wrote: »

The risk is about 1 in 50,000 for AZ.
    No known risk for Pfizer.

Advertisement