Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,134 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Marcusm wrote:
    Myocarditis in 62 out of 5m cases is more than 1 in 100,000! Need to get past the comparative “safeness†unless you are in a particularly affected group as otherwise you might find the disease arrives before the immunity! Both clotrisk and heart risk is greater in those infected.

Jury is still out on that

I'm comparing deaths caused by the side effects of the different vaccines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,379 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

revelman wrote: »
    The interesting thing about Myocarditis is that it is normally caused by viral infection. There are far fewer normal viruses circulating at the moment. So you can see why the CDC is investigating it. Hopefully, it will turn out to be just a coincidence.

Indeed, my brother had viral myocarditis about 10 years agog for developed atrial fibrillation He was cardio-averted on multiple occasions while on duty (A&E doc) before he had it sorted. I guess I should be happy that I had my first dose of Pfizer today. I would have been equally happy to have a single dose of J&J 4 weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,280 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

delly wrote: »
    It may be a question for the cohort 7 thread, but I'm curious if anybody is aware of the potential reduction of vaccine effectiveness if taking steroids or other forms of immune suppressing medication. Chronic asthmatics for example would be in that category, but there is a lack of published data for obvious reasons.

It's worth listening to Luke O'Neill today on Pat Kenny, that cohort isn't at much of risk as you'd expect. When it comes to asthma they noticed they were pretty much avoiding serious illness that's why doctors in the UK can prescribe Pulmicort by AstraZeneca for early intervention it also goes by the name budesonide, think it's a pretty standard asthma inhaler.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-asthma-treatment/common-asthma-drug-cuts-covid-19-hospitalization-risk-recovery-time-oxford-study-idUSKBN2A92DA
    The vaccine is effective and can be taken.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I got my first dose of pfizer today after declining j&j several times over just under a week. The system works. Happy days

Maybe stay off vaccine boards today of all days arguing pros and cons of a particular vaccines and chill for your own sake.

Irrelevant now for you.

I did when I got AZ.

funnydoggy wrote:
    Why not a one-and-done? Not arguing just genuinely surprised at that opinion!

Don't like the side effects of death by blood clots. I wasn't in any hurry. I was happy to wait till the autumn rather than take J&J. As it turns out I waited less than a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭Azatadine

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Why not a one-and-done? Not arguing just genuinely surprised at that opinion!

Wondering the same thing......what's the negative to Janssen? Got it myself in Monday and delighted to be done!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭robinbird

snotboogie wrote: »
    2.6 million doses as announced today puts us at 52.5 per 100, pretty much in the middle of the pack. What you are saying was definitely true a week or two ago but we have caught up over the last week, at least to the middling group in the EU. We are not doing brilliantly but we are not doing terribly either.

Not according to Minister Donnelly who was delighted to share earlier today that we would reach 50 "soon". So we are still bottom of western europe in terms of vaccinations.

Which is why they won't officially release the stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Don't like the side effects of death by blood clots. I wasn't in any hurry. I was happy to wait till the autumn rather than take J&J. As it turns out I waited less than a week.

Jaysus......bit over the top.....

Woody79 wrote:
    Irrelevant now for you.

Irrelevant for everyone when you look at it. Pretty much no one will be getting AZ except for 2nd dose & almost no j&j arriving in Ireland until its too late. Its hardly going to be offered to 30s age group.

Irrelevant for everyone when you look at it. Pretty much no one will be getting AZ except for 2nd dose & almost no j&j arriving in Ireland until its too late. Its hardly going to be offered to 30s age group.

You got pfzier and want to slate all other vaccines.

I'm delighted for you.:rolleyes:

I'm not engaging anymore.

• Advertisement

Azatadine wrote:
    Jaysus......bit over the top.....

It is a fact though. All vaccines have side effects and risks. Some have a higher death rate. If you have the choice they why go for the more risky one? Or even slightly more risky?

Woody79 wrote:
    You got pfzier and want to slate all other vaccines.

You suggested that I shouldn't comment on vaccines because I actually have received Pfizer yet you comment and you have already gotten your vaccine.

You see where I'm going with this? Kettle black much?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

It is a fact though. All vaccines have side effects and risks. Some have a higher death rate. If you have the choice they why go for the more risky one? Or even slightly more risky?

I would imagine most of us would be happy to be given any vaccine to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

robinbird wrote: »
    Not according to Minister Donnelly who was delighted to share earlier today that we would reach 50 "soon". So we are still bottom of western europe in terms of vaccinations.

Which is why they won't officially release the stats.

50 what soon? 50% of adults with at least a first dose?
    That's not far off.
    But that's completely different 50 doses administered per 100 people.

Hard to release the figures due to the HSE hack. Or you think that's all a smokescreen for hiding the vaccination figures?

You suggested that I shouldn't comment on vaccines because I actually have received Pfizer yet you comment and you have already gotten your vaccine.

You see where I'm going with this? Kettle black much?

Im saying you should chillout directly after your vaccine and the days afterwards
    for your mental and physical wellbeing to gain a good immune response over the next few weeks.

I got my vaccine last month.

You see where I'm going with this? :rolleyes:

funnydoggy wrote:
    I would imagine most of us would love to be given any vaccine to be fair

I followed the advice given. I didn't take risks over the last year. I could have waited months. Even with vacation I won't be rushing out to the pub or shops. I am very careful & low risk. I'm autistic so didn’t have to alter my lifestyle to stay safe.

Woody79 wrote:
    You see where I'm going with this?

Yes. You responded when you said that you wouldn't. I am good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

I followed the advice given. I didn't take risks over the last year. I could have waited months. Even with vacation I won't be rushing out to the pub or shops. I am very careful & low risk. I'm autistic so didn’t have to alter my lifestyle to stay safe.

That's fair! Again as I said I wasn't arguing.

Have a good evening Sleeper12!

Wolf359f wrote: »

Hard to release the figures due to the HSE hack. Or you think that's all a smokescreen for hiding the vaccination figures?

Yes.

Yes.

So did he say 50% of the adult population will have a first vaccine soon or do you still maintain we're under 50 doses per 100?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

I got my injection 2 weeks ago. I am still suffering the after effects of being lumbered in with a group of people with humped backs, zimmer frames, walking sticks, triple glazed glasses, tufts of grey hair protruding from their ears and noses. "Are you sure I'm in the right age group?", I asked. "Afraid so", smiled the nurse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,085 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

hmmm wrote: »
    Knowing nothing about this, what is the live virus providing to people which the vaccines aren't? Would this suggest that a booster with an attenuated vaccine would complete some sort of immunological jigsaw?

Don't know is the answer, from me anyway.
    When I read your post last night I couldn't see the studies either as it was behind a pay wall and the Twitter feed seemed to be saying that wild immunity negated need for vaccine at all ..apologies for misunderstanding.
    As you know I am very pro vaccine !
    I still think the jury's out on the variants if concern but it us looking much more hopeful alright.

Having had Covid early last year and a double dose of vaccine , do you think my plasma would boost the immune system of an individual who was unable to take a vaccine , for example ?
    Maybe they will commence harvesting plasma of recovered and vaccinated healthcare workers soon !

Wolf359f wrote:
    So did he say 50% of the adult population will have a first vaccine soon or do you still maintain we're under 50 doses per 100?

He actually said by this weekend.

"Despite the continuing supply problems, he confirmed half of the State's adult population will have received at least one Covid-19 vaccination by the end of this week."

He actually said by this weekend.

"Despite the continuing supply problems, he confirmed half of the State's adult population will have received at least one Covid-19 vaccination by the end of this week."

Confusion over statistics. My fault. I have no idea where we are in relation to other countries with this metric ( 1st doses in adult population)

The EU metric is total doses per 100 in population.
    On this we are the only country in western europe that is still below 50

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Panrich

Confusion over statistics. My fault. I have no idea where we are in relation to other countries with this metric ( 1st doses in adult population)

The EU metric is total doses per 100 in population.
    On this we are the only country in western europe that is still below 50

They said on RTE that we have administered 2.6M vaccines in total. that is over 50%.

Panrich wrote: »
    They said on RTE that we have administered 2.6M vaccines in total. that is over 50%.

He's already been corrected on that but ignored it.
    2.6mil doses, puts us at about 53 per 100 people. A definite ramp up over the past 10 days or so.

Panrich wrote: »
    He's already been corrected on that but ignored it.
    2.6mil doses, puts us at about 53 per 100 people. A definite ramp up over the past 10 days or so.

Mea culpa. 2.6 million announced and this is more than 50 per 100 of population. Not sure where this puts us in relation to other EU countries as stats can be a few days old but we are not far off the average.
    So I guess we have caught up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Sleeper12, it's extremely irritating the way you are going on. There are hundreds of people checking in on these threads absolutely desperate to get vaccinated. With whatever is offered. You've cancelled multiple times which is your choice and you got what you wanted, good for you. I'm happy for you. You just don't need to keep using the language that you are using when describing AZ or JJ, it's annoying. Ok Pfizer is safer, there you go. Can you just leave it?

I'm sorry mods, it's just so annoying in such a useful thread. Fantastic information and thanks all for the updates.

Mea culpa. 2.6 million announced and this is more than 50 per 100 of population. Not sure where this puts us in relation to other EU countries as stats can be a few days old but we are not far off the average.
    So I guess we have caught up.

It's hard when we all rely on daily figures, when we don't get them, it's hard to keep track. We were way below the EU average about a week ago, we're now above it. I was kinda vocal about us slowing down after we started fast, but it's really picking up speed now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Interesting article in the BMJ about how the countries that were first lauded for keeping the virus out - Cambodia, Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam - are now really struggling with the spread of the virus and variants. Just demonstrates the necessity of vaccines. No other way through this really.

https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n1359

Advertisement