Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If someone is immunocompromised, no amount of doses will do it for them.

For the most part they have no immune response to the vaccine - thats the problem. Giving them more vaccine wont change the fact that their immune system doesnt work: hence immunocompromised

You forgot the word properly

Immunocompromised does not mean your immune system doesn't work at all

It means it works less well in various stages of less well dependent on the underlying condition

Immunocompromised people therefore need all the help they can get with this virus from vaccines

Studies have been done on immunocompromised people of varying conditions - some with autoimmune diseases can come off their medication for a while in order to un-suppress their immune system, but plenty of others cannot.

Most organ donation patients pre and post op elicit no immune response whatsoever, no antibodies detected after 2 doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Well that's just lies and misinformation. There have been studies conducted well over a year now and have found a third dose does increases the immune response: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2108861

From 4% after 1st dose, to 40% after second dose and up to 68% after a third dose. It's not going to work for all immunocomprised people, but that's no reason not to roll out a third dose for them. Seeing as how in UAE & Isreal they reported over 50% of fully vaccinated ICU patients/severe illness (only 2 doses at the time) were immunecompromised. So just using crude figures, if half of our ICU are fully vaccinated and half of them were immunocomprised and had a third dose..... well, we could have a lot less in ICU.

You are talking utter rubbish

I am immunocompromised by the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Just looking at the county figures and i see Waterford City has the highest infection rate. But not so long the figures released show that Waterford had the highest vaccination rate at 99%+. I have always doubted the vaccination numbers as. I know this is anecdotal evidence but i work in Waterford and know way to many people who aren't vaccinated which got me thinking about how the vaccination figures are calculated. For example i live in Co. Kilkenny but got vaccinated in Waterford. Am i then counted in the Waterford figures? So the government look at the number of vaccines administered in a county and compare it to the county CSO figures for the population in that county and it skews the numbers. I imagine this would have an impact on the figures for a lot of counties. i.e. Limerick would have a lot of people from Clare and Tipperary going there to be vaccinated.

I don't doubt the vaccination figures at all because people lie but pps numbers don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Ok but that doesn't answer my question. How are these vaccination figures calculated and how does Waterford have a vaccination rate of 99.7% of adults fully vaccinated and also have the highest incidence rate.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

The pps numbers are very accurate as to where you live and who you are,Age,Sex etc

So that answers your question on the 99%

Vaccines do not compketely prevent you getting the disease asymptomaticly

Their power to do even that wanes after about 5 months

Increasingly there's a lot of those

As to why Waterford is currently one of the worst,who knows,you'd have to ask every positive what it is they were at and most wouldn't tell you

Its very random and it's varying as to Where's worst a lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭47akak

Quick question. If you're fully vaccinated, and you come into contact with SARS-COV-2, and the antibodies and/or memory immune cells created by the vaccine eliminate the virus before you develop disease, so it's asymptomatic and you don't notice, do you acquire additional protection from that process? And if yes is that additional protection the same as if you had been vaxxed, and acquired Covid with moderate symptoms?

Really my question is if I'm fully vaccinated and I keep bumping up against infectious people, will I keep doing that until I get sick? Or if I do that and my vaccine protects me against symptomatic infection once, is that it then I'm in the clear?

I assume the answer is yes especially if memory cells are alerted and begin creating antibodies. But can't find an easy answer.

The asymtomatic infection as I understand it will leave you in Bojo's words bursting with antibodies if you're vaccinated

I would not go testing that though as you do not know what effect covid might have on you long term or short term if you haven't had it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Munstergirl854

I got vaccined very recently after being against it all along.

The pharmacist wrote down some of the reasons people hes vaccined lately gave for not getting it along...

New world order,not trusting the government.

He said it was good to see people getting it at this stage and started describing the hospital situation and ICU

If I'm to be honest I'd love to say I thought of my fellow man when deciding to get it but the truth is I got it for a selfish reason,with no end in sight for the vaccine pass and hospitality I thought it would effect my mental health more to be excluded from things.I also dont think we should always equate people who for whatever reason dont get it with conspiracy theories which are bonkers in my opinion.I never thought it was a Bill Gates microchip or whatever...people who get vaccined get it and move on with their lives whereas the people who never get it consume material about it and obsess over it without even having it.The anti vaxxers are driven by an anxiety and fear that is abnormal imo.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

So you got it for no other reason than you don't see an end in sight for passports and you wanted your freedom back. Not because you were afraid of getting sick or passing it on?

Yet you criticize others for not wanting to participate in a passport scheme.... because they don't see an end in sight and believe it is a way of removing their freedoms?

Right.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,029 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I don't see them giving the third dose to non-risk groups as early as January.

When has it ever been stated that non-risk groups are going to get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,698 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Being in pretty much the last non vulnerable group (13 or 14 wasn't it?) I don't expect to be getting a booster till this time next year (along with the annual flu vaccine).

Only thing I could see changing that would be if there was a nasal vaccine brought to market and made available for the mass market (as it would likely reduce transmission rates a lot more than then the current intramuscular vaccines). They're in development but the timeline for them seems a few quarters away (will be interesting to see how Novavax gets on if they ever get approved and start shipping product even though it's intramuscular).

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ShayNanigan

Not yet but I wouldn't be surprised. I remember back when they started vaccinating healthcare personnel and risk groups with the first dose casually mentioning to a nurse taking a blood test how I wondered when our turn would be. She said "oh no, there's no indication regular people will get it". With the recent developments and research on vaccination efficacy, I certainly would not rule it out that there will be a third dose for all (could be offered in a slightly different manner than the previous two, more optional).

Unless of course they manage to create the pan-coronavirus vaccines sooner than expected in which case I'd hope there would be the possibility of taking one of them. Rather than discussing the possibility of a third dose, I was more interested in the new vaccine. I really do hope they are successful in developing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Russman

I'd say it will be sooner than that. Purely an opinion though, so who knows. I do think we'll, eventually, follow the likes of Israel and others and boost everyone, and the vaccine will default to being a 3 dose regimen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Boosters for healthcare workers just approved by Donnelly. Rollout starting immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,803 ✭✭✭hynesie08

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

No NIAC sent him advice today and he just approved it

I might have the sums wrong but working from this would suggest average efficacy of around 78% against infection from the vaccines we've used, which is very good.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/four-in-10-new-covid-19-cases-are-among-vaccinated-people-data-shows-1.4716340

That's interesting, it's the first time we have been given a breakdown of the % of new cases in fully vaccinated vs unvaccinated people.

So of the 58.5k cases, 14k were 12 and under. So 44.5k cases in the eligible vaccinated population, of which 25,433 were in fully vaccinated people and 19,095 in the unvaccinated people. 88% of the eligible population is vaccinated, so 57% of new cases come from 88% and 43% come from 12% of the eligible population.

Be fooked if I can figure out the efficacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

What are Waterford hospitalisation rates ? That really is the measure that needs to be kept close watch on.

Close contact rules mean that vaccinated people are less likely to be tested

As long as they are displaying no symptoms. Gives a good representation of how the vaccines do vs symptomatic infection.

With antigen tests being posted out to fully vaccinated close contacts that should change though. Be curious if they even report on them. They don't seem to report any other tests other than PCR though.

Assume 1 million 12 and under.

4 million eligible for vaccine

88% vaccinated = 3,520,000

12% Unvaccinated = 480,000

Cases Vaccinated = 25,433

Rate Vaccinated = 0.7%

Cases Unvaccinated = 19,095

Rate Unvaccinated = 3.97%

Reduction in rates = -82%

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭political analyst

RTÉ News has stopped giving vaccination statistics, including the percentage of people aged 12 or over who are fully vaccinated. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,698 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

IPAK seems to be getting used to publish anti-vax misinformation, do you have the original sourcing website rather than a link to a pdf?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Apogee

Advertisement