Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Holy Duck

Sorry if covered already but who else was supposed to get Jannsen, thought it was mainly for the fifty something's?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

robinbird wrote: »
    Confusion over statistics. My fault. I have no idea where we are in relation to other countries with this metric ( 1st doses in adult population)

The EU metric is total doses per 100 in population.
    On this we are the only country in western europe that is still below 50

https://covid19-vaccine-report.ecdc.europa.eu/#3_Uptake_of_at_least_one_vaccine_dose_among_adults

I think that Table 3.1.1. in the link shows that, as of May 23, Ireland's vaccination pace is pretty much in line with rest of EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,379 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I got my injection 2 weeks ago. I am still suffering the after effects of being lumbered in with a group of people with humped backs, zimmer frames, walking sticks, triple glazed glasses, tufts of grey hair protruding from their ears and noses. "Are you sure I'm in the right age group?", I asked. "Afraid so", smiled the nurse.

Ha ha; I had that 4 weeks ago for the first dose. Today I saw more 18-23 year olds receiving a first cohort 7 dose as I received my second cohort 4. I thought myself a charlatan the first time around. I still think I’m a cynic but I would have taken any of them. Even the Chinese ones which use different technologies and have different efficacy levels. My point is simple, millions have taken each with extremely limited adverse effects. These are not thalidomide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Anyone know how long it takes to get another appointment after texting New?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

vicwatson wrote: »

Pot luck it seems. I've seen some say a day but another guy posted earlier saying it was 9 days and counting for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,134 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

vicwatson wrote:

Anywhere from 24 hours to 3 weeks depending on the centre you will be attending. Mine is the Helix and I was offered an appointment each day for almost a week. Rescheduled and I had a new appointment within 24 hours. Helix has done lots in the 45 to 49 age group. Other centres seem to be still on late 50s and 60s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Is it a back of the list job?

vicwatson wrote:
    Is it a back of the list job?

Back of the list is never more than 3 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,108 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The Twitter thread below has been posted somewhere on this forum recently but didn't generate any discussion and I can't find it now.

It is concerning. I realise nobody wants to hear that word, or variants, but the facts are that Bolton's case rates, if applied to the whole of Ireland, would be around 3,200/day.

Despite Hancock implying that there was an issue with vaccine hesitancy, Bolton is fairly mid ranking in terms of rollout at 68% of adults with at least one dose on 24 May, so I guess we can assume their % pop with one dose is similar to the UK average of around 55%.

I have been clinging to the idea that we can and should fully unlock when we get to Israel's early March levels of vaccine rollout (perhaps 55% of population with at least one dose) but I am doubting that now.

We know that Bolton's demographics and housing situation are unfavourable, and can perhaps hope that our greater use of Pfizer will be more protective, but overall I'm a bit less bullish that 55% of population with one dose is a magic number.

We'll probably be there around the third week of June, so I think a cautious June is not a bad idea, whatever cautious means. Certainly running ahead of the UK in relative terms seems like a bad idea.

Sources:

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1397995388267810818?s=19

https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n1345

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/23/covid-rates-in-sefton-and-bolton-tell-a-tale-of-two-demographics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I think the current plan is OK for now. Need a two week gap between phases and increased surveillance to hopefully keep any variants of concern as suppressed as possible. Our initial indications are not good. But time is still on our side. What concerns me is that if we have to readjust the reopening plan and our government has to take proactive action will they? I don't think they will.

Really felt Hancock remarks were unhelpful. We've known since the start of this that lower socio economic classes suffer disportionately. Covid like many diseases is one of inequality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Rosereynolds

I’m due my first Pfizer, but I’ve to leave the country shortly after and won’t be back until late august. That would leave a gap of 12-14 weeks between jabs. I presume I can’t just keep sending NEW in an sms for that length until my return? Ideally I’d get the J&J, but I’m under 40, and don’t have a choice anyway.

I’m due my first Pfizer, but I’ve to leave the country shortly after and won’t be back until late august. That would leave a gap of 12-14 weeks between jabs. I presume I can’t just keep sending NEW in an sms for that length until my return? Ideally I’d get the J&J, but I’m under 40, and don’t have a choice anyway.

You can indeed keep sending New via texts. You could get new appointments everyday & that can become annoying. I'd be more concerned about such a long gap between jabs though

Lumen wrote: »
    The Twitter thread below has been posted somewhere on this forum recently but didn't generate any discussion and I can't find it now.

It is concerning. I realise nobody wants to hear that word, or variants, but the facts are that Bolton's case rates, if applied to the whole of Ireland, would be around 3,200/day.

Despite Hancock implying that there was an issue with vaccine hesitancy, Bolton is fairly mid ranking in terms of rollout at 68% of adults with at least one dose on 24 May, so I guess we can assume their % pop with one dose is similar to the UK average of around 55%.

I have been clinging to the idea that we can and should fully unlock when we get to Israel's early March levels of vaccine rollout (perhaps 55% of population with at least one dose) but I am doubting that now.

We know that Bolton's demographics and housing situation are unfavourable, and can perhaps hope that our greater use of Pfizer will be more protective, but overall I'm a bit less bullish that 55% of population with one dose is a magic number.

We'll probably be there around the third week of June, so I think a cautious June is not a bad idea, whatever cautious means. Certainly running ahead of the UK in relative terms seems like a bad idea.

Sources:

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1397995388267810818?s=19

https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n1345

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/23/covid-rates-in-sefton-and-bolton-tell-a-tale-of-two-demographics

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1397995403442851840

From the same source - some areas have already seen bump and fall offs in the indian variant indicating it ran out of hosts

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1397995403442851840

From the same source - some areas have already seen bump and fall offs in the indian variant indicating it ran out of hosts

And to follow up further

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1397995412431245315

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Where are you going? You might be able to get a vaccine there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭jellybear

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    You can indeed keep sending New via texts. You could get new appointments everyday & that can become annoying. I'd be more concerned about such a long gap between jabs though

Ok sounds like a plan. I’m not too worried, one jab is highly effective, not too pushed if I ever get the second, just getting a green cert will make life easier for travel

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Ok sounds like a plan. I’m not too worried, one jab is highly effective, not too pushed if I ever get the second, just getting a green cert will make life easier for travel

You need the 2nd for long term protection. While dose 1 does give good protection you absolutely need the 2nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You need two Pfizer for it to be highly effective. AZ and J&J are different types of vaccines.

You need the 2nd for long term protection. While dose 1 does give good protection you absolutely need the 2nd.

Agreed, what I mean is I’m anxious to get my first, I’ll relax then and if the second one is delayed I’m not that pushed, but I will get it.

• Advertisement

Agreed, what I mean is I’m anxious to get my first, I’ll relax then and if the second one is delayed I’m not that pushed, but I will get it.

Yes but you also referenced the travel cert, you won't get that without 2 doses it looks like & if not fully vax it's PCR tests every time you travel, not worth the hassle testing wise imo

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Turtwig wrote: »
    What concerns me is that if we have to readjust the reopening plan and our government has to take proactive action will they? I don't think they will.

I don't think they will either.
    After months of lockdown, with a symbolical "event" approaching (1st Christmas, now last chance for Summer holidays) masses of people demand to let steam out and they will get it. Politicians couldn't afford to block this at Christmas and they won't be able to afford to block it in the Summer.
    Once ppl let their steam out / recharged a little, only then can politicians afford to tell them more bad news.
    That's why we have waves and not a constant good or constant bad situation in terms of virus spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Yes raind. I agree as regards the mRNA vaccines. I have read similar.
    My original caveat was in regard to the twitter feed posted by hmm which seemed to imply that people previously 'infected' may have lifetime immunity, without booster vaccination.
    I was simply saying that this is not true as of yet it has not been shown that wild infection does anything more than prevent reinfection with that particular virus or similar, and not against the stronger variants.
    This has been shown again and again in healthcare workers in some of the worst affected countries where they have been reinfected but with for example in Brazil, the P1 variant.
    And to add that while we need more information on it, 33 healthcare workers in India have been reinfected and hospitalised, despite having been fully vaccinated with Astra Zeneca.
    Now I will add also that studies have shown reinfection by frontline healthcare workers is twice as likely than those in the general population due to increased exposure and viral load, so that might only mean the general population need to be aware and take normal precautions, if a vóc about, but it is not good news for us hcws.

HCW in India infection and fully vaccinated - has there been anything released about when they were infected? - how soon after 1-2nd doses, cant find anything. the viral loads they must be receiving is scary. Hats off to all our HCW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,332 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This reported earlier: https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0528/1224368-coronavirus-ireland/

Bit concerning when health professionals are openly expressing doubts over a particular vaccine???????

I'm thinking this story will gather legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Furze99 wrote: »
    This reported earlier: https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0528/1224368-coronavirus-ireland/

Bit concerning when health professionals are openly expressing doubts over a particular vaccine???????

This is all so f*cking exhausting :(

Can't really blame them to be fair.

She wants clarification today ? Shouldn't be an issue to give them that.

It's pretty straightforward, advice hasn't changed from NIAC, they'll get their 2nd dose. That's as much clarification as they can get.

The cynic in me would think this is a bit of a ploy from the union so that there isn't a delay past 12 weeks.

She wants clarification today ? Shouldn't be an issue to give them that.

It's pretty straightforward, advice hasn't changed from NIAC, they'll get their 2nd dose.

The cynic in me would think this is a bit of a ploy from the union so that there isn't a delay past 12 weeks.

That logic doesn't really follow. They're concerned about the safety of the AZ second dose. I don't think that means they're desperate to get that second dose ASAP. Sounds like they want the possibility of an mRNA booster explored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

This again? Nothing new at all in this. The first time the HSE told them what was going to happen and it's likely to be the same this time.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    This again? Nothing new at all in this. The first time the HSE told them what was going to happen and it's likely to be the same this time.

It's not come out of the blue, it's as a result of the NIAC letter to the CMO referencing the latest data re: clots following a second dose. That is new, as it shows the incidence rate is higher than initially thought.

Advertisement