Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

muckisluck wrote: »
    Well that is debatable. I think any 59/60 yr olds I know in Drogheda have every reason to believe they have been forgotten. Its a very difficult situation to be in when we hear other parts of the country are vaccinating those 12/13 years younger already. When do you think their turn should cone? After the 12 year olds?

That's a whole other topic, so I'm not sure why you're having a go at me here? I think it's dreadful that the North East is so far behind.

The poster I was responding to has an issue about the portal not being open for 40-44 yet, and that's what was being discussed. Whether it opens today or next week, it doesn't change your place in the queue.

Why you think I want 12 year olds vaccinated ahead of 60 year olds I don't know, seeing as I said nothing of the sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

EMA approval for Pfizer to be used ages 12-15

https://twitter.com/EMA_News/status/1398287202099073025?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

muckisluck wrote: »
    Well that is debatable. I think any 59/60 yr olds I know in Drogheda have every reason to believe they have been forgotten.
    Seems to be moving a bit now with some appointments in The Helix next week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Flying Fox wrote: »
    We were due to hear an announcement this week. Nobody ever said it would be open for registration this week.

You're not going to be forgotten about, and you'll get your vaccine when you turn comes. There's no need for the angst.

That's simply not correct, originally it was to open this week. Anyway, let's just agree to disagree. Hopefully MM will clarify shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

How is it decided which vaccine center you will attend? Is it the center closest to your home address?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

[QUOTE=Flying Fox;117293614 Why you think I want 12 year olds vaccinated ahead of 60 year olds I don't know, seeing as I said nothing of the sort.[/QUOTE]

Think he meant 12 or 13 years younger than 58/59, ie people 46, 47 and 48....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,373 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

strongback wrote: »
    How is it decided which vaccine center you will attend? Is it the center closest to your home address?

Not necessarily the closest, people in Dublin closer to the Helix were being sent to City West.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Not necessarily the closest, people in Dublin closer to the Helix were being sent to City West.

Are the different centers seeing different age groups?

A colleague a couple of years younger than me (45-49) who applied after me has got a vaccination date in the Aviva.

I still have no appointment and live in town on the northside, also 45-49.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,373 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

A colleague a couple of years younger than me (45-49) who applied after me has got a vaccination date in the Aviva.

I haven't heard that, could be a possibility... maybe sure to login to your vaccine portal account to keep an eye on it in case your appointment text goes astrray.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

EMA approval for Pfizer to be used ages 12-15

I wonder how they will rollout the vaccine for high risk teenagers. I have one, and would be great to get her sorted soon. I hope it's better organised than the adult high risk rollout.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Currently in my GPs waiting room for my 15 minute post jab wait. Early 40s with no underlying conditions, but live with cohert 4 people. Great feeling tbh and grateful that my GP is thinking beyond just the cohert 4 individual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,086 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

She wants clarification today ? Shouldn't be an issue to give them that.

It's pretty straightforward, advice hasn't changed from NIAC, they'll get their 2nd dose. That's as much clarification as they can get.

The cynic in me would think this is a bit of a ploy from the union so that there isn't a delay past 12 weeks.

You are being cynical . She is 100% right in this . Other countries like Spain have started vaccination with 2nd doses of mRNA vaccines for the groups left hanging by AZ .
    Healthcare workers and especially nurses are at highest risk, and while there is some protection with one dose as you know 2 is best .
    These essential workers need to be prioritised now along with all vulnerable older cohorts who were given AZ .
    It is not good enough at this stage .
    Some are waiting longer than 12 weeks for their 2nd shot , being patient , bu
    T now we hear yesterday that AZ are going to be delayed yet again.
    I am all for all age groups getting vaxxed as you know , but it beggars belief that a large proportion of healthcare workers as well as over 60s are still not protected .
    I don't think anyone should be talking about opening travel until these cohorts are fully protected !

JPup wrote: »
    It still applies unless it changes, which it might in light of the new information.

If you are a 30 year old nurse, your risk of dying from Covid is now probably lower than from getting a second dose of AZ. So very hard to justify giving that person the vaccine in that basis.

It's not just risk of dying it is of getting sick again in the course of their work , and needlessly .
    Risks for healthcare workers especially nurses are much higher than the general population.

Healthcare workers all over the world ...have been vaccinated along with extremely vulnerable elderly , for obvious reasons ..

She is advocating for a workforce that have pretty much quietly faced into work everyday during this pandemic and risked both their health and their families health .

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's the INMO looking after its own members, again. They kicked up a stink when members weren't being vaccinated and then when AZ was the vaccine they had another hissy fit.

You are very anti nurse and union.
    You have repeatedly voiced this but not usually on this thread , but other less salubrious ones.
    Why the hell should they not be advocating for their members who have worked face to face with patients while others hid behind their screens !

This thread is meant to deal with vaccination and not your anti union / hcw rhetoric .

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Why the hell should they not be advocating for their members who have worked face to face with patients while other HSE muppets hid behind their screens !
    Take your very toxic commentary somewhere else .
    This thread is meant to deal with vaccination and not your anti union / hcw rhetoric .

It's horribly dismissive isn't it? A union simply doing its job for the people that have been going in day in day
    out, knowing they might get sick, worried about bringing a virus back to their families. In the early days they didn't even have adequate PPE, yet when their union expresses genuine concerns it is described as a hissy fit. Just nasty.

Flying Fox wrote: »
    Calm down.

There is plenty of data out there about the risk v benefit for AZ across various age groups. This data has informed regulators' decisions to place restrictions on AZ. See MHRA, Winton Centre, EMA, etc.

The risk of harm from AZ is higher for a 30 year old than the risk from covid. Especially when the person already has a first dose giving them a certain level of protection.

Even younger nurses at higher risk than most others .
    That risk from studies by CDC is estimated at almost twice that in general population.
    We have had this borne out by 30% of healthcare workers being infected.
    Estimates of risk were never applied for front facing healthcare workers as they were always intended to be vaccinated with the very vulnerable .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Are people still complaining about AZ? Take what you're given.

revelman wrote: »
    In the context of the Nursing Union issue, this is interesting:

In Spain, people under 60 who have received AZ have been given an option for a different vaccine for second dose. So far, over 90% of them have stuck with AZ for the second dose:

https://english.elpais.com/society/2021-05-27/most-under-60s-with-first-astrazeneca-shot-choosing-to-repeat-vaccine-for-second-dose.html

Where they have supplies..no problem .
    Where people are waiting longer than they should HCWs and vulnerable over 60s should be offered mRNA .
    NIAC are looking at this at the moment and the EMA have said today they are happy with it but it is down to individual countries regulating authorities to decide .

I registered online on Tuesday, same age group as you and I've an appointment in Aviva for 1st June. I live in the City Centre. A mate of mine of the same age is in the same day as me. I have to admit, I was surprised by the extremely quick turnaround.

It's not just risk of dying it is of getting sick again in the course of their work , and needlessly .
    Risks for healthcare workers especially nurses are much higher than the general population.

Healthcare workers all over the world ...have been vaccinated along with extremely vulnerable elderly , for obvious reasons ..

She is advocating for a workforce that have pretty much quietly faced into work everyday during this pandemic and risked both their health and their families health .

I put the blame with NIAC. They seem very unsure of AZ. Granted its an evolving situation, but they have made far too many changes:

1. Not safe for over 70's
    2. Suspended it briefly
    3. Not safe for under 60's
    4. Not safe for under 50's
    5. Possibly safe for 40-50's

They actually have given up now and are just posing lots of questions to Tony Holohan to address.

Should we shorten length between doses?
    Should we give Pfzier as second dose?

My opinion is they have a responsibility to instill confidence in vaccines. They have made too many changes and approaches in relation to AZ.

If they were to offer a certain cohort Pfzier then quite rightly many who had one dose of AZ will want this approach too.

Your also into the realm of a live trial given the small number of people who got an AZ and then a Pfzier.

Rollout will be delayed also for all beneath them.

Chance of getting blood clot second time is between 1 in 600,000 to 1 in a million.

Chance of dieing is probably one in a few million.

Has anyone in ireland died of AZ blood clot?

I have had one dose of AZ and am slightly nervous of getting second dose but im probably being irrational when you look at statistics.

The overall public good is:

Keep giving AZ second shots.
    Were shots are available let over 50's get second shot after 8 weeks.

• Advertisement

You have repeatedly voiced this but not usually on this thread , but other less salubrious ones.
    Why the hell should they not be advocating for their members who have worked face to face with patients while other HSE muppets hid behind their screens !

Oh, I find it more than a tad dishonest that a very small number of the 150K HCWs have persistently imagined they are more special than everyone else but each to their own.

I don't think they will as it puts more pressure on supply and will lead to a longer rollout. There's also not enough data on AZ dose 2 yet, the UK will be ahead of us in this aspect.

We'll see what happens but I don't think they'll make any change on the 2nd dose in terms of type, interval perhaps yes, I could see a situation (supply dependent) where the 12 weeks might drop to 8 weeks.

This..is just what I have been saying is incorrect, sorry.
    We know and you have said it yourself earlier in the thread today to another poster, that 2 doses are necessary for protection .
    It is more important that those at highest risk of serious illness and death , older , vulnerable and healthcare workers are protected if there is going to be any talk of opening up to UK or areas with a high percentage of variants that may evade vaccination with one dose.
    Protect these people first fully then everything else follows.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Oh, I find it more than a tad dishonest that a very small number of the 150K HCW workers have persistently imagined they are more special than everyone else but each to their own.

Just proven my statement above .
    If you choose to ignore that healthcare workers are more at risk then I really don't know what you have learnt over the last year or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭Rket4000

SJFly wrote: »
    I wonder how they will rollout the vaccine for high risk teenagers. I have one, and would be great to get her sorted soon. I hope it's better organised than the adult high risk rollout.

If your high risk teenager is 16 or older you should contact your GP - they might get it that way. And just because the EMA has approved it for 12-15, doesn't mean it'll automatically be recommended in each individual country

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Deireann an Taoiseach go mbeidh na vacsaíní ar fáil do dhaoine idir 40 agus 44 an tseachtain seo chugainn, mar is eol daoibh cheanna. Will open next week, says Taois. No details yet on what day it will open.

Deireann an Taoiseach go mbeidh na vacsaíní ar fáil do dhaoine idir 40 agus 44 an tseachtain seo chugainn, mar is eol díbh cheanna. No details yet on what day it will open.
    Wednesday was suggested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,134 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Are people still complaining about AZ? Take what you're given.

Our front line health workers were given anything just to give them some sort of protection at the peak of pandemic. These workers are all age groups. It's now known that there are safer options for them and particularly the younger ones. It's now known that the 2nd jab carries more risk than originally thought.

If it's safer for our front line staff to get 2nd dose with a different vaccine then this is what we should do. It's the least that they deserve. This is a no brainer imo. If it slows down the roll out by a week or so then so be it.

No problem if AZ is available but this pussyfooting around about AZ intervals , supplies and not protecting those who are still at risk while talking of opening up travel is stupid at this stage and self defeating..
    There are questions about safety but I don't think these are as risky as leaving large groups of people at higher risk not fully vaccinated .
    It is not personal to me as already fully vaxxed as a high risk hcw way back, but I know of many that I work with who are increasingly worried and upset about it .

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Our front line health workers were given anything just to give them some sort of protection at the peak of pandemic. These workers are all age groups. It's now known that there are safer options for them and particularly the younger ones. It's now known that the 2nd jab carries more risk than originally thought.

If it's safer for our front line staff to get 2nd dose with a different vaccine then this is what we should do. It's the least that they deserve. This is a no brainer imo. If it slows down the roll out by a week or so then so be it.
    It's still absolutely minuscule and it would slow it down by a lot more than a week or so. As we're already looking at J&J delays it could be out to the end of July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,134 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Woody79 wrote:
    I put the blame with NIAC. They seem very unsure of AZ. Granted its an evolving situation, but they have made far too many changes:

Woody79 wrote:
    1. Not safe for over 70's 2. Suspended it briefly 3. Not safe for under 60's 4. Not safe for under 50's 5. Possibly safe for 40-50's

We disagree on a lot but I'm 100 percent behind your above comments.

To me, the message they put out is that it's a dangerous vaccine at worst and we don't actually know at best.

Confusing messages to say the least

Advertisement