Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Israel an example of how to vaccinate and reopen done right for now anyway. How will the UK fare? They've some big decisions to make over the next few weeks. Biggest unknown is how cases in unvaccinated and partially protected will translate to health services burden. They could take a cautious approach and it not be necessary. Or they could wait for hospitalisations to rise before taking any action but by then if cases don't plateau and slow they could be in trouble.

No easy choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Turtwig wrote: »
    Israel an example of how to vaccinate and reopen done right for now anyway. How will the UK fare? They've some big decisions to make over the next few weeks. Biggest unknown is how cases in unvaccinated and partially protected will translate to health services burden. They could take a cautious approach and it not be necessary. Or they could wait for hospitalisations to rise before taking any action but by then if cases don't plateau and slow they could be in trouble.

No easy choices.

I'm wondering how reopening on June 7th will work out for us.

I thought we'd need a few more weeks to reach vaccination levels where it's relatively safe to start reopening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

xboxdad wrote: »

I thought we'd need a few more weeks to reach vaccination levels where it's relatively safe to start reopening.
    It's more down to what's happening with cases, they are very stable and hospital numbers have not risen very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Great news for teenagers in the US. Hope the NIAC read this WSJ article about the delight that vaccinations has brought to US teenagers lives.

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1398481760153919488

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Sounds like NIAC will only give the vaccine to teenagers who are high risk or living with someone immunocompromised

• Advertisement

So just to update this

She still hadn’t heard anything so reregistered using a different pps number on Thursday ( her pps number was changed for some reason about 14 years ago ) this time she used the pps number on the card she uses for the children’s allowance, appointment text came through last night, Moderna, Limerick MVC

So basically,if you text new,you go to the back of the queue
    That rhymes
    But it also increases the percentage offered a vaccine
    Basically if you look for a new appointment,your place goes ,you're still counted as offered one and your free space has allowed a new offer to come to some one else sooner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Stark wrote: »
    Sounds like NIAC will only give the vaccine to teenagers who are high risk or living with someone immunocompromised
    Where are you seeing it.

I haven't seen any NIAC comments since the first vaccine got approved for use in people as young as 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

Where are you seeing it.

I haven't seen any NIAC comments since the first vaccine got approved for use in people as young as 12.

I haven't seen any further comment either. I hope they approve for high risk soon. They can take their time with a decision for the general population as there will be no supply for this age group for a couple of months yet.

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's more down to what's happening with cases, they are very stable and hospital numbers have not risen very much.

Yeah it's how cases trend among the various the demographics and how they translate into hospitalisations. The latter is the big unknown right now. We know the burden from cases to hospitalisations should be proportionally fewer. The question is by how much?

Stark wrote: »

My impression was that they would prioritise this group above older age groups. They're basically part of cohorts 4 and 7. The general pop of teens will eventually be vaccinated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Turtwig wrote: »
    My impression was that they would prioritise this group above older age groups. They're basically part of cohorts 4 and 7. The general pop of teens will eventually be vaccinated.

This is my understanding too.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭adam240610

Lumen wrote: »
    33% protection in which case?

Indian variant protection in astrazeneca is what he's referring too, my dad keeps quoting 33% protection as they seemingly said that on rte the other day.

Can someone clarify as I highly doubt it's even remotely that low, and is more down to lack of results or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Polar101

xboxdad wrote: »

We do, but the June 7th isn't a full reopening, and more people are vaccinated each day. By the July reopening we should have reached the 80% (or is it 75% now) target.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭Azatadine

adam240610 wrote: »
    Indian variant protection in astrazeneca is what he's referring too, my dad keeps quoting 33% protection as they seemingly said that on rte the other day.

Can someone clarify as I highly doubt it's even remotely that low, and is more down to lack of results or something

33% after one dose against SYMPTOMATIC disease......very effective against hospitalisation and death....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

adam240610 wrote: »

It was 33% for both AZ and Pfizer a few weeks after dose 1. After dose two it was 60 something % for AZ and higher for Pfizer (80 something %?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,791 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

amandstu wrote: »
    Seems there is about 33% protection in this case

What does that 33% protection cover against and what might be the figure that would apply for severe /serious illness ,hospitalization or death ?

Thanks

That figure is misleading, it was carried out in the UK and only accounts for a 2 shot dosing regime for the vaccine, it also doesn't adjust for when the person was vaccinated and for the severity of the illness. It also doesn't adjust for the AZ vaccine immune response becoming greater as length of time passes vs. Pfizer which starts waning before the second shot is given. The protection from both vaccines is very high after the dosing regime is followed.

The headline is that the Indian variant is less of a worry than the SA variant and vaccines are already effective against the SA variant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭amandstu

astrofool wrote: »
    That figure is misleading, it was carried out in the UK and only accounts for a 2 shot dosing regime for the vaccine, it also doesn't adjust for when the person was vaccinated and for the severity of the illness. It also doesn't adjust for the AZ vaccine immune response becoming greater as length of time passes vs. Pfizer which starts waning before the second shot is given. The protection from both vaccines is very high after the dosing regime is followed.

The headline is that the Indian variant is less of a worry than the SA variant and vaccines are already effective against the SA variant.

Yes, but I know someone (no not me) who is reluctant to take a second dose of the Pfizer and missed their appointments so that I suspect they may struggle to get another appointment quickly (they may miss that too)

How might that 33% protection against symptomatic disease translate into protection against more serious disease /hospitalization/long covid etc (after just the one dose)?

Perhaps those figures are not yet available?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Yes, but I know someone (no not me) who is reluctant to take a second dose of the Pfizer and missed their appointments so that I suspect they may struggle to get another appointment quickly (they may miss that too)

How might that 33% protection against symptomatic disease translate into protection against more serious disease /hospitalization/long covid etc (after just the one dose)?

Perhaps those figures are not yet available?

I would have thought the 33% after one dose and over 80% with the second, would be all that person needs to know.

charlie14 wrote: »
    I would have thought the 33% after one dose and over 80% with the second, would be all that person needs to know.

Some kind of a knowledge embargo on this site?

It was myself who asked the question btw and not that person.

Some kind of a knowledge embargo on this site?

It was myself who asked the question btw and not that person.

From your post of someone not being you reluctant to take the second dose of Pfizer an easy conclusion to come to I believe.
    No knowledge embargo on this site that I have every noticed. In fact of all the Covid threads this one is by miles the most informative and helpful.

That said, I still do not know when knowing the different protection levels of one dose compared too two anybody would even consider not getting the second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭deeperlearning

astrofool wrote: »

This is basically spin and surmise.

Very little of what you say has been substantiated.

That said, I still do not know when knowing the different protection levels of one dose compared too two anybody would even consider not getting the second.
    You are living in an idealized world,it seems to me.

I do know of this situation and am asking
    if there have been any trials (or predictions of likely outcomes) that cover it.

I am not trying to encourage people to take one dose when two are recommended(in fact I am going to take my second jab as soon as it is available) but this is not so with the case I am closely aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 luckypenguin

I don't know how effective the vaccine will be. But I can say one thing - do it, if there are no contraindications. I was sick two months ago and took it very hard. The treatment is very expensive, I was helped by my family, I took out loans and still didn't have enough. Now I understand that this is no joke and it is necessary to protect yourself if you can.

You are living in an idealized world,it seems to me.

I do know of this situation and am asking
    if there have been any trials (or predictions of likely outcomes) that cover it.

I am not trying to encourage people to take one dose when two are recommended(in fact I am going to take my second jab as soon as it is available) but this is not so with the case I am closely aware of.

I am far from believing I live in an ideal world, but if the percentage difference between one dose and two are not enough for this person you are closely aware of, then I don`t see what else you or anyone can do to convince them of the benefits of getting their second dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Next delivery of AstraZeneca has been postponed to next Monday (31/05) and is also smaller than previously announced, namely 335,200 instead of 374,000 doses. An important delivery for the campaign given the increasing number of 2nd injections.

This news has just been confirmed through the new delivery schedules, which are also not very optimistic for the other suppliers. Pfizer may have to abandon the additional deliveries that were previously foreseen. J&J remains very limited and at Moderna the numbers remain very modest.

https://twitter.com/jorisvaesen/status/1398610464700088325

I am far from believing I live in an ideal world, but if the percentage difference between one dose and two are not enough for this person you are closely aware of, then I don`t see what else you or anyone can do to convince them of the benefits of getting their second dose.

That may be so (and cajoling is out of the question) but it is still good to have accurate facts (or projections) to hand in case one is asked for advice.(as well as for how the situation affects oneself)

The question I have in my head is "what level of protection might a one jab Pfizer recipient have against serious (not just symptomatic) illness have in the case of this new Indian variant?"

I appreciate this may be unknown at this time but,in that event what might it be reasonable to expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

80% first doses by early July target out the window now especially with all the 2nds due. Can we treat people like adults and get rid of the age restrictions for AZ & J&J please? Hundreds of thousands of people know the risks and would still only be too happy to opt in for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Wolf359f wrote: »
    I wouldn't hold by breath, was early May, late May, early June, now late June.....
    They haven't even released their phase 3 results. When they do that, hey still need to apply for approval. They still haven't announced how many doses they have available and ready to deliver.

Yes, CureVac has been a constant disappointment. Should've just let Trump have it when the US tried to move it there, I'd say America would've done a better job at getting the research done quickly and manufacturing scaled up. Even if it meant Europe had to play 2nd fiddle it'd probably have been here by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

Ffs
    I don’t know a single person in the 45-49 age group who have been called for vaccine by the hse since registering as it is
    Only people of that age around here (south mayo ) that have gotten one have been through a phone call to/from GP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

km79 wrote: »
    Ffs
    I don’t know a single person in the 45-49 age group who have been called for vaccine by the hse since registering as it is
    Only people of that age around here (south mayo ) that have gotten one have been through a phone call to/from GP
    I'm 49 and registered on the 19th which was the first day I could and I only got the text last night that I can get the vaccine (moderna) on Monday. I'm in Monaghan not Mayo though.

Advertisement