Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,791 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

amandstu wrote: »
    Yes, but I know someone (no not me) who is reluctant to take a second dose of the Pfizer and missed their appointments so that I suspect they may struggle to get another appointment quickly (they may miss that too)

How might that 33% protection against symptomatic disease translate into protection against more serious disease /hospitalization/long covid etc (after just the one dose)?

Perhaps those figures are not yet available?

As the vast majority in the study will have gotten the second dose, it's really statistically impossible to say what immunization would be for someone skipping the second dose, it's probably higher than 33% (the gap between first and second doses will mean that some people will have had the full antibody response while others are only just starting the response).

Either way, someone skipping the second dose is being incredibly stupid and should be told that they are being incredibly stupid and to go and get the second dose, probably in big loud words with lots of hand gestures as their stupidity has been well established so there should be no room left for them to misinterpret what they should do.

And no, those figures will probably not be available because most people aren't stupid, so they'll have very limited company and probably not enough people to draw any statistically meaningful results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Polar101

Godot. wrote: »
    80% first doses by early July target out the window now especially with all the 2nds due. Can we treat people like adults and get rid of the age restrictions for AZ & J&J please? Hundreds of thousands of people know the risks and would still only be too happy to opt in for them.

I don't disagree, but would it make a big difference to the targets? J&J supplies seem to be Moderna-like (as in small), and AZ is needed for 2nd doses - so I'm not sure if a lot of people could receive a an AZ/J&J 1st dose any time soon, even if they did remove the age restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Are there now issues with supplies of Pfizer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

There's a shortfall of 30,000 in one delivery that's being made up in June. Wouldn't call that issues tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

30k shortfall according to Donnelly yesterday but they aren't bothered by it as Pfizer has committed to Q2 totals and has previously been on time with any other orders to be processed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Considering Pfizer have often exceeded the targets and largely been the workhorse of the state's vaccination program I'm not really worried. They have enough good will built up that we can forgive them a little hiccup here and there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Yes, CureVac has been a constant disappointment. Should've just let Trump have it when the US tried to move it there, I'd say America would've done a better job at getting the research done quickly and manufacturing scaled up. Even if it meant Europe had to play 2nd fiddle it'd probably have been here by now.

Equally, the EU might have done something to facilitate Moderna production. Trump ensured that it was developed in good time, it is a good vaccine, and if it was produced in somewhat bigger volumes it would have helped out the Pfizer/Biontech volumes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Wolf359f wrote: »
    I wouldn't hold by breath, was early May, late May, early June, now late June.....
    They haven't even released their phase 3 results. When they do that, hey still need to apply for approval. They still haven't announced how many doses they have available and ready to deliver.

The world needs to stop hedging their bets, there's a single dose vaccine which is effective and cheap, the world should be mass producing J&J to get out of this pandemic. Then again, mRNA seem to be the only ones able to scale up on a massive scale rapidity, but more expensive.
    CureVac has been June, late June even for results for a long time and it's pencilled in as a Q3 vaccine. It's only recent speculation that has brought May into it. Bear in mind too that it's been under EMA rolling review since February so approval should be pretty fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭amandstu

astrofool wrote: »
    As the vast majority in the study will have gotten the second dose, it's really statistically impossible to say what immunization would be for someone skipping the second dose, it's probably higher than 33% (the gap between first and second doses will mean that some people will have had the full antibody response while others are only just starting the response).

Either way, someone skipping the second dose is being incredibly stupid and should be told that they are being incredibly stupid and to go and get the second dose, probably in big loud words with lots of hand gestures as their stupidity has been well established so there should be no room left for them to misinterpret what they should do.

And no, those figures will probably not be available because most people aren't stupid, so they'll have very limited company and probably not enough people to draw any statistically meaningful results.
    Look to America if you want to find very large stupid sections of the population .

Do you think we don't have comparable stupidity over here?

We need the stupid people to vaccinate for all our benefit.

Calling them stupid in a loud voice seems counterproductive to me.(and not how I notice the health care professionals behave either)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

km79 wrote: »
    Ffs
    I don’t know a single person in the 45-49 age group who have been called for vaccine by the hse since registering as it is
    Only people of that age around here (south mayo ) that have gotten one have been through a phone call to/from GP

Everyone that I know who registered in that age group in my location have appointments for Mon/Tues/Wed next so they are def happening

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭johnmck

Can we have a minutes silence please for the 44 year old, female BBC reporter who died of blood clots due to the covid vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

solerina wrote: »
    Everyone that I know who registered in that age group in my location have appointments for Mon/Tues/Wed next so they are def happening

It seems to be very dependent on location. We are in the North-East and the youngest people we know locally (not at risk or HCW) who have been vaccinated or who have appointments are all 50+.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Mammy is saying her arm is getting somewhat sorer and increasingly redder. Got the second mRNA dose on Monday last. Dya think she should give southdoc a buzz?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,609 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

When will the 30s age bracket get the vaccine ?

Look to America if you want to find very large stupid sections of the population .

Do you think we don't have comparable stupidity over here?

We need the stupid people to vaccinate for all our benefit.

Calling them stupid in a loud voice seems counterproductive to me.(and not how I notice the health care professionals behave either)

I'm someone on the internet, you know this person who is acting incredibly stupid, treat them as such and they might get the message.

It should also be fairly easy to trick this person as well, so just say immunity is doubled after the second dose and that there is a high risk of severe side effects after the first if they don't get the second, it doesn't need to be true.

The health care professionals will pretty much say whatever the person wants to hear as long as it ends with them getting vaccinated.

"yes, I've heard that <vaccine you're getting> has the best response".
    "Oh, I can't wait to go on holidays once fully vaccinated, where are you planning on going after your second dose?"

edit: I will note that no one thinks that they are dumb, you know this person is dumb, use that to your advantage in this case.

johnmck wrote: »
    Can we have a minutes silence please for the 44 year old, female BBC reporter who died of blood clots due to the covid vaccine

Ah you're back I see, welcome, I presume you're here to respond to all those questions that you ran away from a couple of weeks ago?

I presume you'll be running away again very soon, so if I miss it, cya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Mammy is saying her arm is getting somewhat sorer and increasingly redder. Got the second mRNA dose on Monday last. Dya think she should give southdoc a buzz?

Which vaccine? A very small number of people people get a temporary rash on their arm with Moderna afaik

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-05-hypersensitivity-reaction-moderna-covid-vaccine.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Is there anything to be said for just opening the vaccination now for everyone under the age of 45, or from under 40?

In terms of risk, is there really much risk of someone in their early 40s getting seriously ill than someone in their 20s? It seems to be those in their 20s who are getting it in higher numbers, so it would help stop transmission.

Also would it be possible to determine if someone had contracted Covid since January (maybe from PPS number), and anyone who has had Covid in the past 6 months are at the bottom of the list? Studies show that those how have have had Covid have an immunity for about 6 months. Hundreds of thousands have had the virus since the beginning of this year, could we perhaps try and get better immunity through targeting those who don’t have any as opposed to vaccinating those who do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,373 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Is there anything to be said for just opening the vaccination now for everyone under the age of 45, or from under 40?
    In terms of risk, is there really much risk of someone in their early 40s getting seriously ill than someone in their 20s? It seems to be those in their 20s who are getting it in higher numbers, so it would help stop transmission.

They are probably the least likely to bother getting the vaccine so this seems a doubtful plan tbh.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

odyssey06 wrote: »
    They are probably the least likely to bother getting the vaccine so this seems a doubtful plan tbh.

I’d imagine they would, if only for travel reasons.

• Advertisement

Regarding side effects

I got strong shivers and shaking for about a half hour roughly 6 hours after my first shot of pfizer
    Next day I was tired and my body felt shook but nothing troublesome
    Grand the day after
    I didn't take any paracetomol or anthing either before or after

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I'm about 28 hours post the first Pfizer and the only side effect so far is the sore arm. It's like a permanent dead arm similar to those friendly school day digs.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

funnydoggy wrote: »

I got my second mRNA (Pfizer) 9 days ago, and I still have a sore arm. It was swollen til yesterday and still has a small lump.

I did call my GP who thankfully wasn't concerned. It may be nothing but it'd do no harm at all to ring to be sure, but mine wasn't at all concerned about a similar issue with my arm :)

You are well named.Feel free to ignore me.

It does seem increasingly apparent that there may not be a friend... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I had my first vaccine jab recently and I found out earlier this week that I probably won't get any antibodies from the vaccine because of an underlying health condition that I have. I know there are others who will be in the same boat, hopefully we get sorted soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

In before the merge :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

In before the merge :)
    This shouldn't be merged as it will then be lost in the noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

More evidence the vaccines work - cases are plummetting in the US. Down 50% so far this month. Lowest case figure today since March 2020.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Just to update my last post, I was heading down the stairs to lock up, when I started swaying to one side. So looks like I'm a bit off balance, a bit like when you've had a few too many and are trying to look like you can walk normally. Definitely not a feeling I'd ever experience on occasion and never suffer from vertigo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

Just wondering does anyone better informed than me know when someone I'm their early 20s with no conditions other than being a bit chubby will be likely to get vaccinated?

Advertisement