Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭touts

skimpydoo wrote: »
    This shouldn't be merged as it will then be lost in the noise.

Well a vague post from an anonymous poster being told by an unnamed source that an unspecified underlying condition means the vaccine won't work sounds a lot like the rest of the noise to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

ypres5 wrote: »
    Just wondering does anyone better informed than me know when someone I'm their early 20s with no conditions other than being a bit chubby will be likely to get vaccinated?

I would guess late June or some time in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

delly wrote: »
    Just to update my last post, I was heading down the stairs to lock up, when I started swaying to one side. So looks like I'm a bit off balance, a bit like when you've had a few too many and are trying to look like you can walk normally. Definitely not a feeling I'd ever experience on occasion and never suffer from vertigo.

I also felt a bit woosey / Wobbly for a period a few hours after my phizer shot. Nothing serious but decided then it was time for bed. Other than a sore arm that was it and after a good nights sleep, was no more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

touts wrote: »
    Well a vague post from an anonymous poster being told by an unnamed source that an unspecified underlying condition means the vaccine won't work sounds a lot like the rest of the noise to me.

Here is more info. I have the exact same illness as Nicola. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-9620503/Nicola-Mendelsohn-feels-like-inconvenient-footnote-successful-vaccine-roll-out.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

ypres5 wrote: »
    Just wondering does anyone better informed than me know when someone I'm their early 20s with no conditions other than being a bit chubby will be likely to get vaccinated?
    I'd say late July or early August for the first dose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Strazdas wrote: »
    I would guess late June or some time in July.

Unless they decide to open it up to everyone once they get to the under 40s, I don’t think there is even a slight chance that someone in their early 20s will get vaccinated in June. It will be well into July, best case scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I got a text yesterday for my jab tomorrow.
    I suffered a head injury 7 weeks ago and I'm still getting bouts of nausea,fuzzy head and fatigue at times.
    Is it a cause for concern getting the jab on top of everything else I'm wondering?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tfeldi

What I can't get my head around is why case numbers in Ireland are not dropping as we are rolling out the vaccine. The daily numbers are surprisingly stable for last 2 months. I'm aware that we have taken reopening steps. However, I'm comparing this to the situation in other EU countries, specifically Germany, where case numbers are dropping significantly in recent weeks while reopening in similar fashion as we do here.

Do we already have more of the Indian variant here than we think or what else is behind it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭celt262

blade1 wrote: »
    I got a text yesterday for my jab tomorrow.
    I suffered a head injury 7 weeks ago and I'm still getting bouts of nausea,fuzzy head and fatigue at times.
    Is it a cause for concern getting the jab on top of everything else I'm wondering?

You need to talk to a doctor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,108 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

tfeldi wrote: »
    What I can't get my head around is why case numbers in Ireland are not dropping as we are rolling out the vaccine. The daily numbers are surprisingly stable for last 2 months. I'm aware that we have taken reopening steps. However, I'm comparing this to the situation in other EU countries, specifically Germany, where case numbers are dropping significantly in recent weeks while reopening in similar fashion as we do here.

Do we already have more of the Indian variant here than we think or what else is behind it?

I don't think the Indian variant is required as an explanation, but the epidemiology reports have stopped since the hack so all we have is speculation.

Cases are rising amongst the unvaccinated because there is increasing social contact. It's obviously not a massive rise because the majority of the population is still unvaccinated.

There are lots of people who have been careful not because they fear for themselves, but because they are protecting older family members who are now vaccinated. So they're now being less careful.

Germany is recovering from a wave of infection. It's a normal pattern to have low levels after a peak for various reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Panrich

I’d imagine that the majority of new cases are due to young people mixing socially again. Until we get the younger groups vaccinated we won’t see the numbers drop.

I had my first vaccine jab recently and I found out earlier this week that I probably won't get any antibodies from the vaccine because of an underlying health condition that I have. I know there are others who will be in the same boat, hopefully we get sorted soon.

I've a compromised immune system too, the only thing I'd say is no one in that position will be the same
    Look closer at how you've reacted to infections so far or flu's
    You've got 14 months into this intact
    Worst comes to worse this pandemics affects on people like us will be hobbled by the overwhelming amount of people taking the vaccine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It just looks more like another get vaccinated get goodies deal. These things will disappear in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭blade1

celt262 wrote: »
    You need to talk to a doctor.

I have an appointment with my (new)doctor on Wednesday but I'll give a phone call in the morning.
    Have you tied getting a doctor lately?
    Had to get rid of my old doctor as he cleared me for work after getting 13 staples and cut an artery in my head.
    I nearly collapsed at work.
    Took 5 week to find a new doctor and she is 40 miles away.
    You'd swear we lived in a third world country at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Not surprising considering how litigious the average US person is, multiply that by 10 for those that will refuse to take the vaccine and you've got a fairly good reason for this. People will absolutely start trying to sue if they catch it at an event.

Also the US is already a two tier society in regards to healthcare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,134 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

ypres5 wrote:

It all depends on vaccine delivery. I'd imagine July. I'd guess mid to late July but it's really crystal ball gazing at the moment

tfeldi wrote:

As we open further the government are allowing more contact. The more contact the more the virus spreads. We need to keep an eye on any increase in the numbers.

The main point now is that most /almost all of the age groups that were getting very ill or dying are vaccinated. So although the numbers of cases stay the same or even increase it shouldn't have major impact on hospital /icu beds, fingers crossed. Hopefully deaths will be rare

• Registered Users Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Got my second dose of Pfizer vaccine on Thursday, my arm is a whole lot sorer the second time around with it and I had bouts of tiredness Friday and Saturday. Other than that I feel absolutely fine :-) fully vaccinated!! Hooray!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Is there anything to be said for just opening the vaccination now for everyone under the age of 45, or from under 40?

In terms of risk, is there really much risk of someone in their early 40s getting seriously ill than someone in their 20s? It seems to be those in their 20s who are getting it in higher numbers, so it would help stop transmission.

Also would it be possible to determine if someone had contracted Covid since January (maybe from PPS number), and anyone who has had Covid in the past 6 months are at the bottom of the list? Studies show that those how have have had Covid have an immunity for about 6 months. Hundreds of thousands have had the virus since the beginning of this year, could we perhaps try and get better immunity through targeting those who don’t have any as opposed to vaccinating those who do?

Yes there is.

Data frrom the last available epidemiological report* prior to the cyber attack detailing hospital statistics show the following percentages of the total of people in hospital with covid..

19-24 yrs 4%

25-34 yrs 13.6%

35-44 yrs 16.8%

Case number also show an increase with age
    I’d imagine they would, if only for travel reasons.

I don't believe that's the primary purpose for vaccination

*29/04/2021 up to 12/05/2021

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,379 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

We haven’t had detailed breakdowns of case incidence for weeks now, because of the ransom ware attack. For the 6 weeks up until then it was very clear that the average age had trended down enormously. Approx 1/3 of cases were in under 18s and the average age was 29. That cohort remains substantially unvaccinated and social mixing has rapidly returned. There’s little chance of any significant reduction in case numbers until the vaccines hit into the 20s. Hospital numbers remain stubbornly low (below 100 for a while now +/-5 and ICU in early 30s, many of whom may have been there for a period of time).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

gozunda wrote: »
    Yes there is.

Data frrom the last available epidemiological report* prior to the cyber attack detailing hospital statistics show the following percentages of the total of people in hospital with covid..

19-24 yrs 4%

25-34 yrs 13.6%

35-44 yrs 16.8%

Case number also show an increase with age

I don't believe that's the primary purpose for vaccination

*29/04/2021 up to 12/05/2021

But if people in their 20s are getting it in greater numbers, perhaps more are getting sick than the early 40s. Also, would it be likely those aged 35-44 have medical concerns which would’ve had them vaccinated under cohorts 4 and 7?

No, it’s not the purpose of the vaccination, but if it means more people who are in the group more likely to catch the virus get vaccinated, does it matter?

I don’t know, it doesn’t affect me either way, I was just putting it out there to see what the thoughts were!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,791 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Your only chance of a normal life is for the country you live in to get to herd immunity, there's very little else that can be done here bar getting your immune system working again, this also means that you will be highly susceptible to other viruses such as the common cold and flu (presumably you already know this).

The other option is that you constantly take risks or hope that if you do catch a virus that you can be treated for it (treatments are available and being developed but efficacy is highly variable).

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭robinbird

Northern Ireland
    Vaccine booking open for all over 18s

Germany
    J&J vaccine available for anyone that wants it.
    Vaccine booking open for all over 18s from June 7th

France
    Vaccine available to all over 18s.

US
    California announces $116millionin incentives to encourage people to get vaccine

Ireland
    Outrage as young people start to socialize outside.
    Restaurants, pubs remain closed.
    Govt refuse to release data on number of vaccines held in storage.
    Vaccine portal to open sometime soon of over 40s
    MVCs close for a few days to give staff a break.

Everybody: Isn't Ireland doing an amazing job with the vaccine rollout.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    As we open further the government are allowing more contact. The more contact the more the virus spreads. We need to keep an eye on any increase in the numbers.

The main point now is that most /almost all of the age groups that were getting very ill or dying are vaccinated. So although the numbers of cases stay the same or even increase it shouldn't have major impact on hospital /icu beds, fingers crossed. Hopefully deaths will be rare

Yes, but the long term effects of covid are a concern.
    AFAIK, there are indicators that ppl who develop very mild symptoms or no symptoms at all are prone to get long term issues from the infection.

Does anyone else remember news about this form a while ago? Was this claim busted since / can it be busted at all without observing what happens in the coming years/decades?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

But if people in their 20s are getting it in greater numbers, perhaps more are getting sick than the early 40s. Also, would it be likely those aged 35-44 have medical concerns which would’ve had them vaccinated under cohorts 4 and 7?

No, it’s not the purpose of the vaccination, but if it means more people who are in the group more likely to catch the virus get vaccinated, does it matter?

I don’t know, it doesn’t affect me either way, I was just putting it out there to see what the thoughts were!

As detailed in that report covid case numbers increased with age. Most under 50s are still unvaccinated

Serious case of covid and hospitalisations also rise by age.

Until the under 50s etc are vaccinated - that won't change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,791 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

robinbird wrote: »
    Northern Ireland
    Vaccine booking open for all over 18s

Germany
    J&J vaccine available for anyone that wants it.
    Vaccine booking open for all over 18s from June 7th

France
    Vaccine available to all over 18s.

US
    California announces $116millionin incentives to encourage people to get vaccine

Ireland
    Outrage as young people start to socialize outside.
    Restaurants, pubs remain closed.
    Govt refuse to release data on number of vaccines held in storage.
    Vaccine portal to open sometime soon of over 40s
    MVCs close for a few days to give staff a break.

Everybody: Isn't Ireland doing an amazing job with the vaccine rollout.

Yes, the reason we haven't opened up bookings to everyone is because the demand for vaccines is so high. Countries with lower demand have opened up bookings to everyone, this is a bad thing from a reopening perspective.

We have the same amount of vaccines used as other EU countries, ours are used more effectively to reduce death, this is a good thing.

xboxdad wrote:
    Does anyone else remember news about this form a while ago? Was this claim busted since / can it be busted at all without observing what happens in the coming years/decades?

From what I remember is that there is concern that possibly we may be doing lots of lung transplants in the future. I think this could include younger people who had covid without even knowing it. Mild covid without symptoms.

Last I read about it was an article from a US surgeon. This was a few months ago so maybe opinion has changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

astrofool wrote: »
    Yes, the reason we haven't opened up bookings to everyone is because the demand for vaccines is so high. Countries with lower demand have opened up bookings to everyone, this is a bad thing from a reopening perspective.

We have the same amount of vaccines used, ours are used more effectively to reduce death, this is a good thing.

Right now we have no data to know what the situation actually is. No tweets either so wondering has vaccine rate reduced? It is right that people ask questions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    From what I remember is that there is concern that possibly we may be doing lots of lung transplants in the future. I think this could include younger people who had covid without even knowing it. Mild covid without symptoms.

Last I read about it was an article from a US surgeon. This was a few months ago so maybe opinion has changed?

That's extremely worrying if true. Until this is busted, we need to treat all age groups as high risk - especially children - in my view.

Advertisement