Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

robinbird wrote: »
    Germany 52 million doses delivered. 700,000 a day at the moment.

You can certainly make Ireland look worse by adding a few million onto Germany's figures. Their official data is here. 49.5 million doses administered

https://impfdashboard.de/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭rogber

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I personally know of a 71 year old in Berlin who is due his first dose on June the 10 th

Am also in Berlin and I can tell you the rollout here is disastrous. The portal for booking appoointments has been malfunctioning for weeks, from 7th June it's a total free for all, anyone from 12 to 80 can battle for an appointment. Everyone I know who's getting vaccinated is relying on word of mouth recommendation of GPs who have extra stock, mostly of Astra. Irish system at least follows logic and you know when it's your turn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

rogber wrote: »
    Am also in Berlin and I can tell you the rollout here is disastrous. The portal for booking appoointments has been malfunctioning for weeks, from 7th June it's a total free for all, anyone from 12 to 80 can battle for an appointment. Everyone I know who's getting vaccinated is relying on word of mouth recommendation of GPs who have extra stock, mostly of Astra. Irish system at least follows logic and you know when it's your turn

No no, apparently thats the way to do it and we have it all wrong here. According to some informed people on here.

/sarcasm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Once again we uber organised Irish triumph over those disorganised, devil may care, Germans!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The astonishing bit about my friends in Berlin is that his two sons are vaccinated because they work with public or something and he ( age71) is waiting for weeks now and only got a date for June 10th . Thats a full two months after over 70’s in my family here in Dublin
    He said the rollout is shocking and no logic at all to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Same in Holland. All my family have at least 1 jab, the two sisters in the UK are fully vaccinated, and the sister in Holland still has heard nothing. She's 55.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

My brother lives in Germany, GPs are making it impossible for people to qualify, it’s all wink-wink stuff. Vaccine hesitancy is also sky high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,108 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

astrofool wrote: »
    I didn't say we were behind, I guessed that if the numbers were updated we would be within a couple of percentage points of everybody else, we don't have the latest data so we don't know, we do have data from 23rd May which shows us right on track, there's no reason to think we have regressed since then as we never have before.

Latest figures are that we're at 2.7m doses (54 doses/100).

Germany are at 45.1m doses in 83m pop, or 54.35 doses / 100 pop.

https://www.thejournal.ie/new-vaccine-target-5452696-May2021/

https://qap.ecdc.europa.eu/public/extensions/COVID-19/vaccine-tracker.html#distribution-tab

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Poland is the same, no one cares anymore. Vulnerable have got it and people have moved on, we have big national lottery now and all kind of incentives in local towns and villages to get it, people are laughing they will get new Volkswagen's in future if they hold out.

We had a local mayor try to force mandatory vaccination on a full town and he was almost lynched for doing it, all kind of doctors spoke out that there is no proof previous covid infected even need a vaccine and wanted medical debates with the mayor, but he declined and he gave in on mandatory vaccination.

Poland is very anti government right now and government are being far too pushy with the vaccines for many people's liking which is playing into anti-vaxxers hands

There has been a large uptake in the 20 to 30 age bracket since the introduction of the travel certificate.
    Still just over 20 million have received at least their first dose.
    Surprisingly for me it's the over 60s who are most likely not to avail of vaccination
    Walk in vaccination centres seem to be be getting a better influx of people wanting vaccination rather than age based with was originally used.
    My wife's uncle sadly died from covid two weeks ago.
    He refused to get a vaccination before Christmas. Thankfully a lot of his siblings and elderly in the village change there view on vaccinations and attended the walk in vac centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    The astonishing bit about my friends in Berlin is that his two sons are vaccinated because they work with public or something and he ( age71) is waiting for weeks now and only got a date for June 10th . Thats a full two months after over 70’s in my family here in Dublin
    He said the rollout is shocking and no logic at all to it

Which is surprising. You would expect the German authorities to conduct this with the utmost efficiency - it sounds like strategic mistakes have been made with the rollout.

One possible explanation is that it is a federal state and does not have a central government, with the 16 "Länder" (regions) competing against each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Strazdas wrote: »
    Which is surprising. You would expect the German authorities to conduct this with the utmost efficiency - it sounds like strategic mistakes have been made with the rollout.

One possible explanation is that it is a federal state and does not have a central government, with the 16 "Länder" (regions) competing against each other.

Very surprised myself . I lived in Berlin and it was incredibly organised and efficient in my day . Maybe they got bogged down in bureaucracy , they do bureaucracy very well !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I've a compromised immune system too, the only thing I'd say is no one in that position will be the same
    Look closer at how you've reacted to infections so far or flu's
    You've got 14 months into this intact
    Worst comes to worse this pandemics affects on people like us will be hobbled by the overwhelming amount of people taking the vaccine

I have had 14 months into this intact because I have been mostly shielding since March 2020. I finished my medical treatment on December 2019 and after 3 years of various operations and treatment including chemo I was looking forward to 2020 becoming a good year for me. Sadly at the moment going out and doing what I used to do is a pipe dream.

As regards flu's etc i never got it last year as living alone I am around nobody else and I was hardly out and about. I have had it in previous years and when I started my chemo it would take me 6 weeks to shake off the flu even when I had the flu jab.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Thread cleaned up, misinformation removed along with responses and poster banned. As you were folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Same in Holland. All my family have at least 1 jab, the two sisters in the UK are fully vaccinated, and the sister in Holland still has heard nothing. She's 55.

She can log in to https://coronatest.nl/ and register for her vaccination. 42 and 43 year olds are being invited to register today. The call for 55 year olds to register was about two weeks ago: [url] https://www.rivm.nl/nieuws/mensen-geboren-in-1965-uitgenodigd-voor-coronavaccinatie?fbclid=IwAR0buJ1AkEbvnHPWl3-h22R1RVSk61HPm71T9u7SlaFAhKyHi87GSmnZJL0[/url]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Once again we uber organised Irish triumph over those disorganised, devil may care, Germans!

Actually yes the Irish system is far more organised. Okay, the younger you are, the longer you wait and I understand that's annoying for some, but that's better than having 50, 60, 70 year olds who can't get an appointment, as is the case here.

Strazdas wrote: »

The airport was roughly a decade late in opening and it still has problems.
    You think the Berlin government could organise a mass vaccination competenly? Fat chance.
    I have an appointment for this week, but again only because someone told me about a GP with extra supplies. Anyone else I know it's the same story or they get it via their company doctor.
    Though maybe in Dublin not so different. A friend of mine there, early 40s, today got an appointment for vaccine this week, via his GP. Not in a risk group

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DonnieCorko

Hi there,

My gf is a health care assistant. She started working again as one in Feb/march after taking a three month break. They offered her a vaccine after maybe a month of working but she was sick that week and actually had to get a covid test which was negative. For the past two and a half months they have told her they are waiting for a new list from the HSE with her on it. Obviously she is worried about covid, working clearly with patients in and out of hospital. I have heard GPs can also vaccinate. Anyone know other routes to get vaccinated? Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The airport was roughly a decade late in opening and it still has problems.
    You think the Berlin government could organise a mass vaccination competenly? Fat chance.
    I have an appointment for this week, but again only because someone told me about a GP with extra supplies. Anyone else I know it's the same story or they get it via their company doctor.
    Though maybe in Dublin not so different. A friend of mine there, early 40s, today got an appointment for vaccine this week, via his GP. Not in a risk group

The Irish rollout still seems to be going a lot better than that in Berlin. We've heard a few complaints but most people seem pretty happy with how the MVCs are operating.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Any one else having side effects from Pfizer like this...

Tuesday afternoon 1st shot.

Sore arm, head cold feeling with a touch of nauseous for 36 hours after. No biggy.

But from Wednesday I've been getting shooting pains down my sternum. It doesn't last long. It reminds me of having a broken rib (if anyone has had that it's not quite as shooting and excruciating as a broken rib, but kinda like it.)

I'm 51 and a smoker and toker but I've never had a pain there. Morning it mostly strikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,047 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Who is "they"? Her employer or the HSE?

Anyway, here's the details of how healthcare workers can get the vaccine. Unfortunately the process for HC workers under 45 was affected by the ransomware hack, and it seems a new process hasn't been put in place yet. But I guess it will be detailed on this page when it is:

https://healthservice.hse.ie/staff/coronavirus/policies-procedures-guidelines/covid-19-vaccine-materials.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Contact her Union.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,051 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭JPup

Hi there,

My gf is a health care assistant. She started working again as one in Feb/march after taking a three month break. They offered her a vaccine after maybe a month of working but she was sick that week and actually had to get a covid test which was negative. For the past two and a half months they have told her they are waiting for a new list from the HSE with her on it. Obviously she is worried about covid, working clearly with patients in and out of hospital. I have heard GPs can also vaccinate. Anyone know other routes to get vaccinated? Thanks!

What age is she? She might be quicker just waiting to be vaccinated by age along with the general population at this stage.

Who is "they"? Her employer or the HSE?

Anyway, here's the details of how healthcare workers can get the vaccine. Unfortunately the process for HC workers under 45 was affected by the ransomware hack, and it seems a new process hasn't been put in place yet. But I guess it will be detailed on this page when it is:

https://healthservice.hse.ie/staff/coronavirus/policies-procedures-guidelines/covid-19-vaccine-materials.html

Presumably HSE through the employer offered it. Will look at that, thanks..

Contact her Union.

Not really sure she has a union. Im pretty sure she doesn't pay union fees anyway. Sorry should have said. She is a healthcare assistant so not likely to be unionised as they are often temporary workers

JPup wrote: »
    What age is she? She might be quicker just waiting to be vaccinated by age along with the general population at this stage.

32. That could be another two months though and I mean that's the obvious outcome if she can't get it through another means but she shouldn't have to wait for her age bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭niamh247

Which vaccines are being administered right now for the first dose? Is it still based on the age group criteria (AZ for above 50 etc)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Turtwig wrote: »
    He's not wrong. Compared to the wildtype the vaccines don't work as well. They do still work! They're still very effective and there's nothing yet to suggest they fail at preventing severe illness. Staines knows this. He's gotta. Yet he keeps saying it in a way that someone could easily misunderstand as meaning the vaccine is useless.

Loss of efficacy is a problem. It means herd immunity requires a higher threshold - and depending on how high that threshold becomes things could get problematic.

That said, If Staines isn't careful he'll actually make it a self fulfilling prophecy whereby we can't make herd immunity because enough people think the vaccine wouldn't work for them.

So he is wrong...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Qrt

My take on the variants is this; they’ll reduce the burden of serious illness and disease to a tolerable level, with reduced transmission as an added bonus, while retuned vaccines are developed and distributed, bringing this all to an eventual end.

They’re not ideal. Not terrible, just not great.

Advertisement