Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Doc07

volono wrote: »
    I'm starting this thread for people to post any and all links to articles from verifiable sources regarding covid 19 vaccines, their trials, adverse reactions etc, about long covid and anything else others consider useful information re:same.
    My reason being , I posted my reasons for not wanting to get the vaccine from what little info. I could find out about them in the anti-vax thread. I was shouted down from the rooftops about they're being completely wrong and that I was an anti-vaxxer. Thankfully some responses I got where alot better and they provided logical reasons as to why , as I can see now , I was woefully misinformed about them. I think therein lies the problem and the reason for this thread
    the complete lack of information available to people that's out there, which probably does feed back into the anti-vax stance.
    I don't think it's acceptable for me and others to just be told, you have to take the vaccine to save yourself and others. Sorry but just NO, show me the science behind that. The what, why, where and when so to speak. I want and need to know!!!!
    I tried to find out this type of information by myself and realise now I failed miserably at it, totally misinformed tbf.
    I really think there's a need to have this information readily available to people, to allow them to comprehend the science and reasons behind it so as to alay their fears.
    This isn't a place for anti-vaxxers and tit for tat postings.
    Links to information as much as possible please.

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/human-regulatory/overview/public-health-threats/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/treatments-vaccines/covid-19-vaccines

Knock yourself out , pretty much anything a reasonable person would want to know about vaccines and links to far more detailed info also including the clinical data from the clinical trials of you are really interested.
    Lots of info on HPRA.ie also.

Ps vaccines work

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Any word on a shortage of AZ? I know 4 people all 60 who registered on the first available date but are still waiting on an appointment. Everybody aged 61+ and late 50s that we know are vaccinated. The under 60s were Pfizer.
    They all contacted the call centre and were just told that they shouldn't be waiting so long and it would be marked for escalation.

• Site Banned Posts: 58 ✭✭mikeorange

Micky 32 wrote: »
    From what i’m reading Indian variant : 33% after 1st dose. The UK variant : 51% after 1st dose.

Second dose 81% for the indian scariant and 87% for the UK scariant.

( symptomatic infection)

One and done J&J vaccine is in trouble then? If two doses are needed to neutralize Indian

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Is anyone living with parents that won't get vaccinated? Really tricky situation to be in.

Why not , WoollyRedHat ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Why not , WoollyRedHat ?

Don't know to be honest, my mum has said she's 'waiting to see' whatever that means, worried she has read some of the unsubstantiated claims online about the vaccines online and won't get them because of that. I appreciate vaccine hesitance because of clots issue, but don't think it's because of that, she said she doesn't fear Covid as much anymore, but she would be considered in groups that are at risk.

• Advertisement

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Any word on a shortage of AZ? I know 4 people all 60 who registered on the first available date but are still waiting on an appointment. Everybody aged 61+ and late 50s that we know are vaccinated. The under 60s were Pfizer.
    They all contacted the call centre and were just told that they shouldn't be waiting so long and it would be marked for escalation.

Yes I have heard of a few HCWs all over 12 weeks and still waiting for their call for 2nd dose .
    Being done in MVCs now so it must be what vaccine the particular centre is getting in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

she's 'waiting to see' .

It’s the exact same line i have been hearing from people all this week. 2 elderly people near 80 one with lung problems and their daughter and family. We’ll “ wait and see how this experimental vaccine works out”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I thought Holohan said there was data coming out from public health England that the vaccines weren't as effective against the India variant? Or was he misquoted?

The fact that they do work is brilliant, but completely unsurprising

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

I thought Holohan said there was data coming out from public health England that the vaccines weren't as effective against the India variant? Or was he misquoted?

I think the concern revolves around the fact that one dose is insufficiently protective. That’s why there is a rush in the U.K. to bring forward second doses. We still have a long way to go on this front. I’m guessing this is where the concern lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

It’s the exact same line i have been hearing from people all this week. 2 elderly people near 80 one with lung problems and their daughter and family. We’ll “ wait and see how this experimental vaccine works out”

I have unfortunately also come across it this week , an aunt of mine was all super excited to get her vaccine on Tuesday but seemingly her daughter convinced her to “ wait and and see “ after a few weeks . I wouldn’t mind but she is diabetic and obese . This is the second time her family have convinced her to hold off.

• Advertisement

It did come out

1st dose performs very poorly against it, needs 2 dose to stop it.

Dilema is if variant spreads fast, second dose will be needed much quicker than 12-16 weeks out and vulnerable who got doses in January might need a third dose/booster soon if variant is widespread in population.

Also as J&J is only a single dose it might be in trouble and booster needed

Race to get fully vaccinated as quickly as possible will be the goal now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

mikeorange wrote: »
    It did come out

1st dose performs very poorly against it, needs 2 dose to stop it.

Dilema is if variant spreads fast, second dose will be needed much quicker than 12-16 weeks out and vulnerable who got doses in January might need a third dose/booster soon if variant is widespread in population.

Also as J&J is only a single dose it might be in trouble and booster needed

Race to get fully vaccinated as quickly as possible will be the goal now
    Can you quantify "very poorly"? I'd be interested to see what numbers they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Unfortunately RTE didn’t follow up on this ( on the RTE news app anyway), they only reported Mr H’s comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Unfortunately RTE didn’t follow up on this ( on the RTE news app anyway), they only reported Mr H’s comments.
    This is something that's annoyed me throughout the whole pandemic. Maybe they ask these sort of questions, but we never see it. :confused: It appears as if they treat Tony as some messiah, and worship at his alter, rather than do their job - which is to investigate and report. If Tony makes these grand statements, he should be asked for this rational? On what grounds is he saying this? The UK are reporting that this Indian variant is not as bad as initially feared - now, where have I heard that before (SA, California, Brittany, etc, etc, etc):eek:

Can you quantify "very poorly"? I'd be interested to see what numbers they have.

33% after 1st dose, for context original strain was over 80% for 1st dose, but 2nd dose gives over 85% so it's not all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Jim_Hodge wrote:
    Any word on a shortage of AZ? I know 4 people all 60 who registered on the first available date but are still waiting on an appointment. Everybody aged 61+ and late 50s that we know are vaccinated. The under 60s were Pfizer. They all contacted the call centre and were just told that they shouldn't be waiting so long and it would be marked for escalation.

I don't believe that has anything to do with the supply of AZ. That age group can & was given just about all of the. Some centers are way behind others. Dublin is on the low 50s & even starting on the 40s. other centres still have some 60s left to get through

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

33% after 1st dose, for context original strain was over 80% for 1st dose, but 2nd dose gives over 85% so it's not all bad.

Where are you getting the data for those figures?

The boosters are there to keep the antibody/t-cell count high so there is an expected drop off, but 33% sounds very low given the mutations are already present in other variants.

J&J being 1 shot has shown to have long lasting high immunity levels meaning a second shot isn't required (particular vs. severe disease and death).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

astrofool wrote: »

The boosters are there to keep the antibody/t-cell count high so there is an expected drop off, but 33% sounds very low given the mutations are already present in other variants.

J&J being 1 shot has shown to have long lasting high immunity levels meaning a second shot isn't required (particular vs. severe disease and death).
    I'm sure there's a more detailed report: https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-pfizer-vaccine-nearly-90-effective-against-indian-variant-public-health-england-study-finds-12314048
    The wording is a little weird, they are suggesting 2 weeks after the 2nd dose of AZ, it's 60% effective against the Indian variant compared to 66% with the Kent variant.
    All the data presented by PHE had AZ up in the high 80/low 90% efficiency at a time when the Kent strain was dominant in the UK. All of a sudden it's now 66% effective???

Nervtag UK published them

33% is very low yes, 2nd dose is needed based on report they published as it increased to 81% with both doses.

J&J wasn't in use, so no data to prove one dose is enough against Indian. With 33% efficacy from Pfizer/Moderna/AZ its unlikely J&J one and done is enough.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

It's hard to try and collate all of the data coming out online, but I've found an epidemiologist who does a great job of updating the efficacy once there is data to back it up. Most recent chart below, along with the link to the page.

https://yourlocalepidemiologist.substack.com/p/vaccine-table-update-may-18-2021?fbclid=IwAR1mKqZBtMKUEkG9AKQSKeZ6regGNJZsdRhHLpxHGOn474rBgJLfbjE2E38

553823.jpg

• Advertisement

Wolf359f wrote: »
    I'm sure there's a more detailed report: https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-pfizer-vaccine-nearly-90-effective-against-indian-variant-public-health-england-study-finds-12314048
    The wording is a little weird, they are suggesting 2 weeks after the 2nd dose of AZ, it's 60% effective against the Indian variant compared to 66% with the Kent variant.
    All the data presented by PHE had AZ up in the high 80/low 90% efficiency at a time when the Kent strain was dominant in the UK. All of a sudden it's now 66% effective???

All those cross comparison percentage efficacy rates are meaningless unless you know exposure rate to each variant.

Don't know to be honest, my mum has said she's 'waiting to see' whatever that means, worried she has read some of the unsubstantiated claims online about the vaccines online and won't get them because of that. I appreciate vaccine hesitance because of clots issue, but don't think it's because of that, she said she doesn't fear Covid as much anymore, but she would be considered in groups that are at risk.

All you can do is support them and give them any proper information if they ask. You are very well up on everything but maybe too close.
    Is your GP any good ? Could you ask him or her to discuss it with them ?
    Or have they contact with any nurses they trust who might go through the pluses and ...pluses with them ?
    I am so sorry as I know you must be worried for them .

All those cross comparison percentage efficacy rates are meaningless unless you know exposure rate to each variant.

I'm not sure what you mean by exposure rate?

Clinical trials are usually done with various vaccines, at different times (so different strains) and with a different demographic. So that's 3 variables, which means making vaccine to vaccine comparison on efficiency a little meaningless.

PHE compared 2 vaccines at the start of the year (AZ & Pfizer) when the Kent strain was dominant, it found AZ was ~90% effective after 2 doses.
    Based on new reports, it appears AZ is now only 66% effective against the Kent variant.

I wish they would just crunch the numbers and say:
    unvaccinated: X% chance of hospitalisation.
    1 dose of X vaccine against Y strain: Z% chance of hospitalisation.
    2 doses of X vaccine against Y strain: W% chance of hospitalisation.
    etc...

Nervtag UK published them

33% is very low yes, 2nd dose is needed based on report they published as it increased to 81% with both doses.

J&J wasn't in use, so no data to prove one dose is enough against Indian. With 33% efficacy from Pfizer/Moderna/AZ its unlikely J&J one and done is enough.

Do you have the link? I took a look around and couldn't find anything with a few different queries.

Wolf359f wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you mean by exposure rate?

Clinical trials are usually done with various vaccines, at different times (so different strains) and with a different demographic. So that's 3 variables, which means making vaccine to vaccine comparison on efficiency a little meaningless.

PHE compared 2 vaccines at the start of the year (AZ & Pfizer) when the Kent strain was dominant, it found AZ was ~90% effective after 2 doses.
    Based on new reports, it appears AZ is now only 66% effective against the Kent variant.

I wish they would just crunch the numbers and say:
    unvaccinated: X% chance of hospitalisation.
    1 dose of X vaccine against Y strain: Z% chance of hospitalisation.
    2 doses of X vaccine against Y strain: W% chance of hospitalisation.
    etc...

I don't think they have the numbers to do that yet.

I don't think they have the numbers to do that yet.

It's very simple, anyone hospitalized with covid would be tested. You can check the strain they have (with hospitalizations so low, it's extremely important strains are sequenced). They can also access records if the patient was vaccinated and which vaccine it was. They would also know if they received 2 doses and how long after a dose they may have contracted covid.

Sounds simple to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Relative efficacy only matters when we are not supply limited.

Until then, the best protection comes from not being exposed, and that requires all available doses to be used.

The fine tuning can happen over autumn/winter when we're swimming in vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I don't believe that has anything to do with the supply of AZ. That age group can & was given just about all of the. Some centers are way behind others. Dublin is on the low 50s & even starting on the 40s. other centres still have some 60s left to get through

That doesn't work. The particular centre did all 61+ plus and then moved on to 50s but skipped 60 year Olds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Well the main substance of the PHE report is to get 2nd doses out ASAP particularly with AZ. Lots due 2nd doses around now to end of June particularly with HCW. Hopefully they will be sped up where possible

Advertisement