Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    Do you think J&J will be given to anyone younger than 40?

I doubt it. NIAC are very cautious on this.

However, you do have this option in some countries e.g. Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Can you get an early vaccine if you smoke or drink? Honest question.

Depends on the GP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,108 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

revelman wrote: »
    I doubt it. NIAC are very cautious on this.

However, you do have this option in some countries e.g. Germany.

They're not even giving it to younger high risk people. I know someone in their twenties who got vaccinated through Peter McVerry Trust the other day and they got Pfizer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

corkie wrote: »
    "
    To register online you need:

a mobile phone number
    an email address
    your PPS number – here's how to find your PPS number
    your Eircode – you can find your Eircode here or you can enter your address in the registration system

If you do not have these things, call the COVID-19 helpline to register by phone instead."

https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/user-guide/

You will be assigned a VC based on your Eircode, possibility of been assigned a one outside of your vicinity (due to supplies and demand on centers).

You don't get to pick the centre.

Thanks for that- I guess at that stage what's another few weeks especially as I'm likely to get Pfizer with only 4 weeks between doses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Pharmacies are getting Pfizer mostly afaik. Quite a few not signing up to it due to the hoops the HSE wanted them to jump through to get it. Seems to be more of a token effort by HSE than genuinely wanting pharmacies involvement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'm 50 and registered online due to my age, i am also in Cohort 4, very high risk.

I rang my GP numerous times and they referred me to HSE, Rang HSE and they referred me back to GP, was going round in circles for 2wks

Received an email from HSE Live last friday saying if in Cohort 4 then due to GP's being unable to access certain systems due to hack you must call HSE LIve, i did this and the lady refered me back to GP :pac::pac::pac:

At 11am i sent an email to Stephen Donnelly, cc'ing my local Sinn Fein TD and Padar Tobin, 12:30 i get a text with vaccination date for Wednesday for the Johnson jab

Complete and utter Shit show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Pharmacies are getting Pfizer mostly afaik. Quite a few not signing up to it due to the hoops the HSE wanted them to jump through to get it. Seems to be more of a token effort by HSE than genuinely wanting pharmacies involvement

Guidelines and rules aren't for the craic, I'd want to be sure any pharmacy I get a vaccine from knows what they're doing when it comes to storage and handling.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Guidelines and rules aren't for the craic, I'd want to be sure any pharmacy I get a vaccine from knows what they're doing when it comes to storage and handling.

I think you’ll find pharmacists know how to store and handle medicinal products and vaccines... they do have some experience of it. Also an incredible amount of guidelines and rules, the issue here isn’t an inability to do their job, it’s the HSE and their usual contempt of pharmacies and their staff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,033 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

If anybody knows how to store and handle drugs it's a pharmacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

The bit pharmacies probably will have to put the most extra effort into is patient care for adverse reactions. MVC and GP vaccination sites have plenty of people used to dealing with medical emergencies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Polar101

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    If anybody knows how to store and handle drugs it's a pharmacy.

I thought the problem for pharmacies was the low storage temperatures required, but maybe that was relaxed.

civdef wrote: »
    The bit pharmacies probably will have to put the most extra effort into is patient care for adverse reactions. MVC and GP vaccination sites have plenty of people used to dealing with medical emergencies.

There’s specific training given for responding to anaphylaxis with adrenaline/CPR if required and call for an ambulance. Same in CVCs they don’t have any other emergency drugs available to them, but may have people working that day with experience in it (also may not, luck of the draw really)

Polar101 wrote: »
    I thought the problem for pharmacies was the low storage temperatures required, but maybe that was relaxed.

Yes that has been changed, undiluted they can now be stored at normal fridge temps for up to 31 days which is a great improvement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,791 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

scudzilla wrote: »
    I'm 50 and registered online due to my age, i am also in Cohort 4, very high risk.

I rang my GP numerous times and they referred me to HSE, Rang HSE and they referred me back to GP, was going round in circles for 2wks

Received an email from HSE Live last friday saying if in Cohort 4 then due to GP's being unable to access certain systems due to hack you must call HSE LIve, i did this and the lady refered me back to GP :pac::pac::pac:

At 11am i sent an email to Stephen Donnelly, cc'ing my local Sinn Fein TD and Padar Tobin, 12:30 i get a text with vaccination date for Wednesday for the Johnson jab

You need to find yourself a new GP, seriously.

Our local got through cohort 4 many weeks ago, double shifting to get through them and ringing ahead to make sure people could make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

There’s specific training given for responding to anaphylaxis with adrenaline/CPR if required and call for an ambulance. Same in CVCs they don’t have any other emergency drugs available to them, but may have people working that day with experience in it (also may not, luck of the draw really)

True, it's basically a BLS course with some additional Anaphylaxis training along with the IM injection stuff though. I'm not sure all pharmacies would have an AED on hand prior to this?

The MVCs tend to have a predominance of nurses and EMT/Paramedic/APs working as vaccinators - it does mean a lot of relevant experience on hand when the stuff happens. The same can be said about GPs and practice nurses.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Lead story on the Midnight News on BBC R4 is of the UK's equivalent of the ISAG charlatans advising against the final lifting of restrictions on June 21st due to "rising cases". Rising cases are part of the reopening, we knew that beforehand.

It got me thinking. Imagine if we had ended up with a 55-60% efficacy vaccine that prevented severe illness/death but did not stop transmission. How could we have ever opened up without cases rising? It's genuinely amazing how effective the vaccines have turned out to be. We got very, very lucky here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

marno21 wrote: »
    Lead story on the Midnight News on BBC R4 is of the UK's equivalent of the ISAG charlatans advising against the final lifting of restrictions on June 21st due to "rising cases". Rising cases are part of the reopening, we knew that beforehand.

And they reported one death today! Sky News are at the same craic, constant doomsday predictions from "government advisors".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Literally their job to know how to store and handle these type of things. Christ it takes five years to get your qualification just to be a newbie never mid running the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Just a curious question here, could start a thread but it will probably get merged anyway. My housemate the chef had his first Moderna vaccine shot this morning and he gets his second shot in two weeks time. I always thought it was a month between Moderna and Pfizer shots, did they change the frequency to two weeks rather than 4 weeks? I think he had it done at the Ballybrit MVC.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Just a curious question here, could start a thread but it will probably get merged anyway. My housemate the chef had his first Moderna vaccine shot this morning and he gets his second shot in two weeks time. I always thought it was a month between Moderna and Pfizer shots, did they change the frequency to two weeks rather than 4 weeks? I think he had it done at the Ballybrit MVC.

4 weeks for Moderna. That ls the recommended interval per the manufacturers dosing interval.
    That hasn't changed.

Then fully vaccinated 2 weeks after 2nd moderna dose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

That sounds like an error call 1850 24 1850 and check it out. The gap should be 4 weeks.

Are you sure he hasn’t picks up someone saying that it takes 2 weeks for the first dose to have any effect as the booster date ?

They’ll be going strictly by NIAC protocols.

Getting a booster too soon wouldn’t be useful. There’s a specific timeline to maximise effectivity. Going earlier wouldn’t be a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

And they reported one death today! Sky News are at the same craic, constant doomsday predictions from "government advisors".

Most on sky news are not even government advisers, sky reporting are very good at playing with their the way they present there stories.
    Read past the headline.
    It usually ends up I would advise the government, ends up been some professor in a 3rd rate college,,looking to get there names in the spotlight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

astrofool wrote: »
    You need to find yourself a new GP, seriously.

Our local got through cohort 4 many weeks ago, double shifting to get through them and ringing ahead to make sure people could make it.

Yep my GP also..I'm cohort 4..one phone call to GP to get sorted.
    Had my second dose yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

scudzilla wrote: »

By the looks of it you're in Meath, where, like Louth, a lot of 50 somethings have been stalled for weeks. Lots of them called this week too. Should you be getting J&J as a part of group 4? I thought they were mRNA vaccines only.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

is_that_so wrote: »
    By the looks of it you're in Meath, where, like Louth, a lot of 50 somethings have been stalled for weeks. Lots of them called this week too. Should you be getting J&J as a part of group 4? I thought they were mRNA vaccines only.

Seems to be a commonly held view to be honest but no whatever is available based on age.

When this cohort initially started only AZ & Pfizer were available given the supply

I see the update this morning is that pharmacies will be getting some J&J initially for over 50s who want it, and then a smaller number will be getting Pfizer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

If they are so effective why are the UK rolling back restrictions with 60% vaccinated and 40% fully vaccinated?

What's the vaccinated percentage number they need vaccinated to have no restrictions if vaccines are 90-95%?

I'd be interested to hear the minimum vaccinated percentage to fully open, surely the data guys know that number?

Would be useful for us here in Ireland.

What restrictions are the and they rolling back?

I see the update this morning is that pharmacies will be getting some J&J initially for over 50s who want it, and then a smaller number will be getting Pfizer
    J&J is a no-brainer for pharmacies - in and out.

If they are so effective why are the UK rolling back restrictions with 60% vaccinated and 40% fully vaccinated?

What's the vaccinated percentage number they need vaccinated to have no restrictions if vaccines are 90-95%?

I'd be interested to hear the minimum vaccinated percentage to fully open, surely the data guys know that number?

Would be useful for us here in Ireland.

The issue is with the Indian variant that both doses are needed to get to a decent level of protection and there’s quite a high level of vaccine hesitancy in certain groups which is where the variant can be seen spreading quickly

• Advertisement

Seems to be a commonly held view to be honest but no whatever is available based on age.

When this cohort initially started only AZ & Pfizer were available given the supply
    Know people in that category who were Pfizer or Moderna only but obviously dealt with by their GP.

Advertisement