Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

is_that_so wrote: »
    Know people in that category who were Pfizer or Moderna only but obviously dealt with by their GP.

Likewise know people who got AZ via GP.

It was predominantly Pfizer and then Moderna also when some of that came in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

By the looks of it you're in Meath, where, like Louth, a lot of 50 somethings have been stalled for weeks. Lots of them called this week too. Should you be getting J&J as a part of group 4? I thought they were mRNA vaccines only.

It’s based on age. If you’re cohort 4 and 50 you could get any of the 4. This is true from when NIAC changed who could get it in April/ then changed in May.

Currently if you’re cohort 4/7 and going for a vaccine and under 40, you’ll get mRNA only. 40-49 can opt out of viral vector and take mRNA (it’s seems this is only being offered to that age group), over 50 has the gun to the head of take it or leave it no matter what cohort you’re in.

But that might change if novovax / curevax gets approved, Jansen is allowed for all ages, mRNA is used for second doses of AZ for under 40s, AZ is re-approved for all ages, etc. So a lot can still change going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

If they are so effective why are the UK rolling back restrictions with 60% vaccinated and 40% fully vaccinated?

What's the vaccinated percentage number they need vaccinated to have no restrictions if vaccines are 90-95%?

I'd be interested to hear the minimum vaccinated percentage to fully open, surely the data guys know that number?

Would be useful for us here in Ireland.

They haven't rolled back on anything, they are more open than any other country in Europe (open to correction on that one).

I believe what you may be referring to is what was originally supposed to be the date for the end of all restrictions entirely (June 21st), this may be pushed back by a few weeks to make sure more people are fully vaccinated due to the threat of the Indian variant.

Delaying the full reopening isn't the same as reintroducing restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,766 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Reading worrying stories of kids >6 needing to be vaccinated to fly.

Boll1x to that, no way I will be having my kids vaccinated.

I think its kite flying at present, but they are saying CV19 tests will likely be needed for them, which will add to the cost of a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Apologies if this already asked.

Re AZ, I had first dose early April, two days later all the blood clot stuff escalated.

Due to get my 2nd dose end of June and I heard on radio last night that NIAC due to decide by end of June whether the 2nd dose should then be an mRNA vaccine instead!

If they decide end of June that mRNA should be used is that basically saying anyone who got the AZ 2nd dose during June prior to that announcement was wasting their time?

Or the cynic in me says they are phasing out Astra Zeneca and just trying to exhaust the existing supplies before they do.

Is that because of supply issues or efficacy of vaccine?

Any opinions, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

NIMAN wrote: »

I think its kite flying at present, but they are saying CV19 tests will likely be needed for them, which will add to the cost of a holiday.
    That major flaw of unvaccinated kids travelling was never addressed in the whole digital passport approach. Someone mentioned an EU fund to subsidise PCR tests for travel but not much detail that I can find.

Widescreen wrote: »

Re AZ, I had first dose early April, two days later all the blood clot stuff escalated.

Due to get my 2nd dose end of June and I heard on radio last night that NIAC due to decide by end of June whether the 2nd dose should then be an mRNA vaccine instead!

If they decide end of June that mRNA should be used is that basically saying anyone who got the AZ 2nd dose during June prior to that announcement was wasting their time?

Or the cynic in me says they are phasing out Astra Zeneca and just trying to exhaust the existing supplies before they do.

Any opinions, thanks.
    They are phasing out AZ anyway and it is doubtful that anyone will get a first jab of it now. The current position is that you will get the second shot as long as you have no underlying conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Any opinions, thanks.

Due to a higher rate of adverse events after the second dose than they thought making the risk/benefit analysis less clear. It’a still much lower than the first shot and both are very small risks to begin with. The suggestion was that for under 50s they might change the second dose to an mRNA vaccine for safety

They are phasing out AZ anyway and it is doubtful that anyone will get a first jab of it now. The current position is that you will get the second shot as long as you have no underlying conditions.

are they? Link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

It’s much more strict than that. If you got the first you’re getting the second. The only way out is if you had a blood clot/ really bad reaction. Although that may change going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

InitialG wrote: »
    are they? Link?
    Lazy but here you go. That's where such information lives. HCWs/Group 2 are now getting their second doses regardless of age as will the 60-69 in about 4 weeks.

https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/astrazeneca/

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭adam240610

NIMAN wrote: »

Why not just vaccinate them? You would've vaccinated them for several other things already surely

I don't agree that they should need one for travel though, anything under 12 is excessive surely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Stark

adam240610 wrote: »
    Why not just vaccinate them? You would've vaccinated them for several other things already surely

I don't agree that they should need one for travel though, anything under 12 is excessive surely

Well at the moment there's no vaccine approved for under-12s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

That major flaw of unvaccinated kids travelling was never addressed in the whole digital passport approach. Someone mentioned an EU fund to subsidise PCR tests for travel but not much detail that I can find.

Posted this in another thread. But its relavent to this.

The original EU proposal at the beginning of May was that
    Children who are excluded from vaccination should be able to travel with their vaccinated parents if they have a negative PCR COVID-19 test taken at the earliest 72 hours before arrival area. In these cases, Member States could require additional testing after arrival.

That appears to have changed as of yesterday ...
    To ensure family unity, minors travelling with parents should be exempted from quarantine when the parents do not need to undergo quarantine, for example due to vaccination. Children under 6 should also be exempted from travel-related testing

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_21_2782

This seems to indicate that children (under 6) are permitted to travel where parent(s) are vaccinated regardless whether they have been recently diagnosed with covid or not

Lazy but here you go. That's where such information lives. HCWs/Group 2 are now getting their second doses regardless of age as will the 60-69 in about 4 weeks.

https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/astrazeneca/

I googled about the halt in astrazeneca vaccines and found nothing. I tend to google before posting here. Thanks...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

I read that "update" as children of vaccinated parents don't have to quarantine but if age 6-17 still need 'travel related testing' as they call it now!

InitialG wrote: »
    I googled about the halt in astrazeneca vaccines and found nothing. I tend to google before posting here. Thanks...:rolleyes:
    The EU is looking for its missing supplies but are not planning to order any more. There is plenty on that out there. From our perspective AZ will stop once we've done the second doses.

DSN wrote: »
    I read that "update" as children of vaccinated parents don't have to quarantine but if age 6-17 still need 'travel related testing' as they call it now!

Its this bit
    To ensure family unity, minors travelling with parents should be exempted from quarantine when the parents do not need to undergo quarantine, for example due to vaccination. Children under 6 should also be exempted from travel-related testing

I think another issue is regards the status of children under six who test positive during a holiday / prior to a return journey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭celt262

gozunda wrote: »
    Its this bit

I think another issue is regards the status of children under six who test positive during a holiday / prior to a return journey

They wont be tested though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,791 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I wish people would stop posting this.

The order for 300M doses of AZ still stands, it's nowhere near complete, and deliveries will keep happening until it does hit 300M, probably sometime in October or November (with it being used for COVAX or as a booster).

There is no plan to take up the extra 300M option or make new orders as the EU is focusing on mRNA based vaccines (and possibly protein based depending on how Novavax gets on).

celt262 wrote: »
    They wont be tested though.

Not as part of travel requirements. But its possible children under 6 may pick up covid on holiday. Not sure if that's covered atm.

Another poster here already posted about that issue as they have booked to go on holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Widescreen

The EU is looking for its missing supplies but are not planning to order any more. There is plenty on that out there. From our perspective AZ will stop once we've done the second doses.

so from this, yes , we are just using up vaccines then, irrespective that they do the job required or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,791 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

so from this, yes , we are just using up vaccines then, irrespective that they do the job required or not.

All SARS-COV2 vaccines being used in Ireland do their job fantastically effectively, let's not be unclear about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭Peckham

gozunda wrote: »
    Not as part of travel requirements. But its possible children under 6 may pick up covid on holiday. Not sure if that's covered atm.

Another poster here already posted about that issue as they have booked to go on holiday.

We're going to France in August. Campsite sold us an additional insurance policy to cover such instances.

If one of us tests positive meaning that some or all of the family can't return home, then it pays out for an extended stay.

Presumably similar policies are available in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭JPup

Any opinions, thanks.

It is neither supply issues or vaccine efficacy. We have enough AZ vaccines ordered to give a 2nd dose everyone who has had one already and the vaccine has been proven to be highly effective at preventing serious illness from Covid-19.

The reason for considering using an mRNA vaccine for a 2nd dose, especially in the under 50s, is to do with concerns around blood clots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

astrofool wrote: »
    All SARS-COV2 vaccines being used in Ireland do their job fantastically effectively, let's not be unclear about this.

Let's be clear about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

For those who are in the aged-based vaccinations how long before you get your second dose of Pzfizer do you get a notification for your appointment?

• Advertisement

NIAC has precluded AZ being used for the under 40s so yes second doses and largely done. It hasn't been used in any great quantity since the over 60s. As posted earlier I'd also expect it to go into COVAX.

Advertisement