Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Widescreen wrote: »
    Apologies if this already asked.

Re AZ, I had first dose early April, two days later all the blood clot stuff escalated.

Due to get my 2nd dose end of June and I heard on radio last night that NIAC due to decide by end of June whether the 2nd dose should then be an mRNA vaccine instead!

If they decide end of June that mRNA should be used is that basically saying anyone who got the AZ 2nd dose during June prior to that announcement was wasting their time?

Or the cynic in me says they are phasing out Astra Zeneca and just trying to exhaust the existing supplies before they do.

Is that because of supply issues or efficacy of vaccine?

Any opinions, thanks.

Don't think anyone who has had AZ were wasting their time, the vaccine work as it is designed to do. Stop serious illness. I suspect like the flu vaccine, there will be boosters each year as the virus mutates. I know that Spain have a trial mixing vaccines 1st and 2nd dose. Think Germany/Italy are carrying out a trial of similar mix too - but may well be wrong there. Is there a trial in Ireland like this too? I am sure I read that UK are trialling this at the moment, results to be published soon.

Widescreen wrote: »
    so from this, yes , we are just using up vaccines then, irrespective that they do the job required or not.

Can you explain which vaccines aren't doing their job and how!
    That is quite a sweeping statement. All the vaccines are working as they are designed to do. STOP getting serious covid. -

• Registered Users Posts: 41 tamova

Has anyone had experience with GPs giving Pfizer before 28 days? My vaccination was delayed for three weeks and I'd already signed a contract for a job abroad, so won't make my second dose, the latest I can get is 23 days.

HSE.ie is saying: "If a dose is given between 17 and 21 days, this is considered a valid dose." (see: https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/hcpinfo/covid19vaccineinfo4hps/faqscovidvacc/)

My GP practice flat out refused initially, but said they'd check back after speaking to my actual GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mioniqa

is_that_so wrote: »
    Lazy but here you go. That's where such information lives. HCWs/Group 2 are now getting their second doses regardless of age as will the 60-69 in about 4 weeks.

https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/astrazeneca/

Because 60-69 got AZ, would their second doses not start at the end of July/start of August? c.12 weeks from first dose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

So we should have the 3 millionth dose this weekend roughly. I miss the daily data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

mioniqa wrote: »
    Because 60-69 got AZ, would their second doses not start at the end of July/start of August? c.12 weeks from first dose?
    Yep, just being a bit premature! About 21 July for first groups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

mioniqa wrote: »

Currently yes they would start getting there doses starting mid-July. Those in there 50s will be starting early august. So through august you’d need AZ.

There could be a change to 8 weeks, but nothing official yet. NIAC are looking at that as well as potentially changing the second dose to mRNA for under 50s

ddarcy wrote: »
    Currently yes they would start getting there doses starting mid-July. Those in there 50s will be starting early august. So through august you’d need AZ.

There could be a change to 8 weeks, but nothing official yet. NIAC are looking at that as well as potentially changing the second dose to mRNA for under 50s
    Are there many with AZ in their fifties? Seeing more Pfizer and J&J mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Really looking forward to tomorrow (44 y/o)

I know it's only the registration and it will be a number of weeks before I get my first shot but at least I have some measure of certainty now.

Last week I posted frustration on the lack of details on the registration date and on or 2 posters basically told me to be patient it will come, sure enough it did but I still feel they knew on Friday there were going to open it on Wednesday so why wait until Monday to announce it.

The constant snail pace of drip feeding information is very frustration especially people who suffer from anxiety.

Anyways I'm delighted now to have some certainty but I feel for people with anxiety under the age of 40, their next 3-4 weeks is going to be a long a frustrating wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

ZX7R wrote: »
    Most on sky news are not even government advisers, sky reporting are very good at playing with their the way they present there stories.
    Read past the headline.
    It usually ends up I would advise the government, ends up been some professor in a 3rd rate college,,looking to get there names in the spotlight.

That's why I said "government advisors" i.e. that's what Sky are calling them. Anyone with sense knows they're just academics looking for publicity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Peckham wrote: »
    We're going to France in August. Campsite sold us an additional insurance policy to cover such instances.

If one of us tests positive meaning that some or all of the family can't return home, then it pays out for an extended stay.

Presumably similar policies are available in other countries.

What puts me off about travelling this year is partly the cost of testing my kids to travel, but mostly the Risk that if one of the party tests possitive on the test before returning home, the lot of us will probably have to quartine in some small spanish/french hotel room for 2 weeks. I mean I love my kids, but that sounds like hell :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

is_that_so wrote: »
    Are there many with AZ in their fifties? Seeing more Pfizer and J&J mentioned.

Definitely some, but hard to know the exact number. I think they used up all they could, but not sure of the total number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,073 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

My 2nd dose Pfizer delayed again as GP didn't get in yet

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭adam240610

Stark wrote: »
    Well at the moment there's no vaccine approved for under-12s.

Good point, until they're approved for that age it makes no sense at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭corkie

Can't find the post now in the various threads, but someone was asking of any reinfection cases in Ireland.

First details of Irish Covid-19 reinfection reported
    Updated / Tuesday, 1 Jun 2021 14:52

"It involved a 40-year-old female health care worker who was first infected in April 2020.

The infection was laboratory confirmed and she did not need hospitalisation.

Seven months later, she presented with symptoms and was found to have Covid-19, according to the study in the latest Irish Medical Journal.

In early May, data from the Health Protection Surveillance Centre showed there had been around 514 cases of Covid-19 reinfection here.
    "

Or here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

ddarcy wrote: »
    Definitely some, but hard to know the exact number. I think they used up all they could, but not sure of the total number.

Very possible the second AZ dose will be brought forward, especially as it doesn't seem to be being used much as a first dose at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ll31

For those who are in the aged-based vaccinations how long before you get your second dose of Pzfizer do you get a notification for your appointment?

I would love to know, due 2nd dose by next Monday, but tbf got text 3 days before 1st dose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Weird mini protest outside DCU. Something to do with Pfizer having been fined for fraud some years back :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Puurs given approval for another increase in capacity

https://twitter.com/SKyriakidesEU/status/1399761149885878273?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

Registration open for 40-44

km79 wrote: »
    Registration open for 40-44

I'm not seeing that.

I'm not seeing that.

Just register and ignore the age notices as you go along

I'm not seeing that.
    At most it's 12 hours away anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

Just register and ignore the age notices as you go along

Try and register .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

The recommendation is expected to "have a significant and immediate impact on the supply of Comirnaty, the COVID-19 vaccine developed by BioNTech (22UAy.DE) and Pfizer, in the European Union," the European Medicines Agency said.

Unfortunately I can't find what the figures are.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Handy11

km79 wrote: »
    Try and register .....

Worked fine there for me. Delighted to have finally registered! Cheers for the excellent info on this thread - daily lurker for months.

So you just pretend to be 45 to 69 on that first page?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Irish Times article on the approval of the Belgian site here.

- EMA said the decision would “have a significant and immediate impact on the supply of Comirnaty, the Covid-19 vaccine developed by BioNTech and Pfizer, in the European Union”.
    - The increase due to Ireland will bring the number of Pfizer doses delivered to the country to roughly 2.75 million between April and the end of June.
    - According to Pfizer, the acceleration in manufacturing will allow them to reach the deliveries they had already promised, meaning Ireland is about to get more doses than it has been receiving up until now.

Advertisement