Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

Strazdas wrote: »
    From what I can gather, trying to register a few days early will not speed up you getting a vaccine. You will get your vaccine with all the other 44 year olds and will not be able to skip into the vaccination centre a few days early.

(The 44 year olds are being invited right now btw)

I didn’t think it would, but I assume they’re just not encouraging people to swamp the servers, even if it is cloud based.

I’d just be worried it might get technically screwed up jumping in too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Will we have the daily vax numbers back soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

corkie wrote: »
    Can't find the post now in the various threads, but someone was asking of any reinfection cases in Ireland.

First details of Irish Covid-19 reinfection reported
    Updated / Tuesday, 1 Jun 2021 14:52

"It involved a 40-year-old female health care worker who was first infected in April 2020.

The infection was laboratory confirmed and she did not need hospitalisation.

Seven months later, she presented with symptoms and was found to have Covid-19, according to the study in the latest Irish Medical Journal.

In early May, data from the Health Protection Surveillance Centre showed there had been around 514 cases of Covid-19 reinfection here.
    "

Or here

Thats excellant is it not...just under a .2% reinfection rate the median taken from 11 research studies is .27% re nphets own meeting notes April.

And only 1 confirmed by sequencing... some of others first pcr will possibly have been a false negative (especially if asymtomatic)as we were running that back at over 40+ cycles spring/summer 2020 (and now 35 or under) and especially if not sequenced both times. Good news all round at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

So no change to timelines?

Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Anyone know?

Without an actual announcement from the commission it's hard to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Wolf359f wrote: »
    The increase from 200mil to 250mil for Q2 (bringing 50mil from Q3 to Q2) was announced back in the middle of April. This new update seems to be additional to that.
    Rough calculation has Q2 deliveries upped from 250mil to 280mil.

There is no increase in Q2 deliveries. In April and May we got 4 deliveries, we will get 5 in June. So far in Q2 we have received ~1330k with another ~1400k due (284k * 5). Next week's delivery will be light 30k doses. 2730k is within 1% of the original target.
    I have heard that deliveries could increase in July so that is where this increase might come from. It looks like they are trying to front load most doses from Q3 and Q4 into July and August.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

The portal is open for everyone over 40

Just registered
    Very easy system and very good to use. You would know that the HSE are not running it themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

ineedeuro wrote: »

Just registered
    Very easy system and very good to use. You would know that the HSE are not running it themselves
    But they are running the pretty excellent vaccination programme, the most important part of all of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Possibly been asked before and answered many times here but if I turn into 40 in a month, am I to register now this week or I have to wait for age 35-39 or next age slot?

Galego wrote: »
    Possibly been asked before and answered many times here but if I turn into 40 in a month, am I to register now this week or I have to wait for age 35-39 or next age slot?
    It seems to be the year of birth and it sounds like you should be eligible. You can go on and try to register.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Just registered

Yeah it's always been open to all the ages in a particular group, they ask you to do it day by day to stagger demand. Won't get you an appointment any quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Galego wrote: »

I'm in the same position and registered last night.

Just registered

They are running it themselves, but like almost any IT system, it’s built to order by Salesforce and IBM in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Without an actual announcement from the commission it's hard to know.

Guess I'll write to them and report back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Would year of births not been easier for registering people?

Example "People born between 1981 & 1977 can register now" instead of people aged between 40 & 44 cuts out the questions from 39 year old's who turn 40 later on in year.

Lucas Hood wrote: »

Example "People born between 1981 & 1977 can register now" instead of people aged between 40 & 44 cuts out the questions from 39 year old's who turn 40 later on in year.
    Age you know, year of birth depends on the day... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,052 ✭✭✭✭josip

A friend of mine at the weekend said that when designing processes such as these, including all the associated literature, signage, etc, they assume an intellectual age of 11.

So things on the front end are kept as simple as possible.
    People will more readily know their age than year of birth.
    Mark out each place to stand and wait in an MVC queue instead of assuming people will know what is 2m.

josip wrote: »
    A friend of mine at the weekend said that when designing processes such as these, including all the associated literature, signage, etc, they assume an intellectual age of 11.

So things on the front end are kept as simple as possible.
    Mark out each place to stand and wait in an MVC queue instead of assuming people will know what is 2m.

I don't agree with that. Age changes DOB doesn't.

Anyway not important.

The system will catch everyone anyway.

If you’re born in 1981 and register in this batch or the next batch it’s really not going to make very much difference. There’s an arbitrary cut of date whether it’s your birthday or the year.

Also birthdays aren’t just entirely evenly split across the year. You get spikes.

You can enter a birthday and see the way it moves here:

https://www.cso.ie/en/interactivezone/visualisationtools/howpopularisyourbirthday/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

josip wrote: »
    Jaysus, I don't know. I'll never forget what year I was born, but I regularly forget what age I am. And I'm not old enough to register yet!

You're right though, it is about simplicity. And messaging. So rather than the ads having to say, "If you were born in 1981 or earlier you can now register", while the minister in interviews says, "Everyone 40 and up can register", all messaging just goes for the latter. Keep it simple.

There will be about 30,000 people born in 1981 who aren't 40 yet. If they all get confused and don't register until the portal opens for 39 year olds, then it's not the end of the world.

• Advertisement

The system will catch everyone anyway.

If you’re born in 1981 and register in this batch or the next batch it’s really not going to make very much difference. There’s an arbitrary cut of date whether it’s your birthday or the year.

Also birthdays aren’t just entirely evenly split across the year. You get spikes.

You can enter a birthday and see the way it moves here:

https://www.cso.ie/en/interactivezone/visualisationtools/howpopularisyourbirthday/

What your link tells me is a lot of people are getting their leg over on New Years Eve.

Keep it simple!

I’ve been talking to friends elsewhere in Europe and by comparison the registration system here is extremely straight forward and slick.

I think they’ve genuinely done a good job on it.

Using the GP network for the over 70s also makes total sense as that generation isn’t as likely to be web savvy. When you get into 70s and 80s, there’s a stark difference in how they’ll approach technology. It’s just a generational issue, rather than any kind of cognitive argument. They’re less familiar with tech as they didn’t encounter it as much in day to day life.

I’ve just noticed that in some countries there are either very over complex registration steps. Some seemed to be more like ROS, where needed digital certificates. Some had postal registration steps involved and others had IT issues. I know people in Berlin who are saying it’s really glitchy and a mess.

It also looks like our system will be very easily able to provide vaccine certification for travel, without any mess.

It’s even using very solid levels of multi factor security : messages to your mobile etc, much like Google accounts or Facebook do.

It’s also fully mobile browser friendly. You can register flawlessly on your mobile.

And Eircode has made assigning vaccine centres an absolute breeze.

Nowhere else in Europe has a code per address like that.

So all in all it’s genuinely slick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

What your link tells me is a lot of people are getting their leg over on New Years Eve.

If you tell a group of people to go back 9 months from their birthday and see what family event was on, several will likely get sick as they realise they were conceived on either a parents birthday or an engagement/wedding anniversary.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Israeli study on link between Pfizer and myocarditis.
    There is a probable link between receiving the second dose (of Pfizer) vaccine and the appearance of myocarditis among men aged 16 to 30

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0602/1225511-coronavirus-global/

275 cases out of 5 million vaccinated. Don’t know how many men in that age group have been vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

There's also a lovely red block in mid December 9 months after Paddys Day.

What a country! :pac:

revelman wrote: »
    Israeli study on link between Pfizer and myocarditis.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0602/1225511-coronavirus-global/

275 cases out of 5 million vaccinated. Don’t know how many men in that age group have been vaccinated.

To be quite honest with that’s extremely low.

Think of it this way. If you made 5 million people a sandwich, how many of that 5 million will have an allergic reaction to something, accidentally choke on the bread, get food poisoning or just have an unfortunate incident like develop an illness that may or may not have anything to do with your sandwich, but may coincide with having eaten that sandwich?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

At some point, when we are at lower age groups, the system will need to change to work off age rather than year of birth. 16 is the age of medical consent in Ireland. A different process will be needed for those aged 15 and under involving parental consent. The system will need to hard stop anyone aged 15 registering without parental consent first even if they have the same year of birth as a 16 year old.

I’m wondering if at <16 we could just do a schools vaccination programme, much as they do for other vaccines. It’s an easy group to reach out to as they’re all in school.

You could use the online portal technology to make it easier though and help keep track of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

To be quite honest with that’s extremely low.

Think of it this way. If you made 5 million people a sandwich, how many of that 5 million will have an allergic reaction to something, accidentally choke on the bread, get food poisoning or just have an unfortunate incident like develop an illness that may or may not have anything to do with your sandwich, but may coincide with having eaten that sandwich?

Myocarditis in young people is caused by viral infection. Very few normal viruses circulating in the population at the moment. So hence the probable link to the vaccine. I agree, however, that this is extremely low. If you crudely divide number of Israeli vaccinated by 275, it works out at one in 20,000 (though presumably higher for younger age groups in men). Very low risk.

• Advertisement

Myocarditis is also not likely to be that high risk of bad outcomes, very much unlike the clotting issue that was identified with the viral vector vaccines. Once it’s identified, mostly you just get monitored in hospital for a few days.

My point though it’s extremely rare but also Pfizer itself doesn’t seem to be finding it in data.

Worth watching but at the same time, you’ll always expect some degree of reaction to everything, but the issue with these is they tend to trigger anti vaxxers, which seems to be a huge issue in some countries.

The USA for example has no issue with availability at all at this stage, but what they’re hitting a brick wall with is the conspiracy theorists and a high % of anti vaxxers in some segments of society.

France has an absolutely enormous issue with this. Germany has to some degree too.

I just think we need to be a little careful about media outlets blowing these things out of proportion entirely.

Ireland seems to be one of the places with a very positive view of vaccines. We’ve had the older cohorts quite literally achieving 100% uptake, which is very clearly why our death rate and hospitalisation rates have fallen so sharply.

If we get this thing beaten with vaccines, the pandemic is basically over for us.

There’ll be bubbling issues for a long time to come in places with patchy uptake.

Advertisement