Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Strazdas wrote: »
    No, it will have no effect - people should really wait until their designated day to register.

Absolutely. I'm hearing a lot of people registering before their designated day. This is why we can't have nice things!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Widescreen wrote: »
    thanks, I take your point. I'm 9 weeks next week since first jab, if I don't get called until 12 weeks I will take it, obviously be careful in meantime.
    That's down to the HSE and probably supplies.

Absolutely. I'm hearing a lot of people registering before their designated day. This is why we can't have nice things!

The designated day is just to stop the website crashing
    Its nothing to do with when you get your text

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

is_that_so wrote: »
    The system works by age anyway so in principle 44 year olds will be done first regardless.

In principle only. 43 year olds in Cork got appointments yesterday in Cork, a day before they were supposed to register. Meanwhile plenty of the 45-49 cohort in Cork still waiting. I assume this was some mess-up though. In general though you are correct that the system works by age. That said even before yesterday, I knew 45s who got appointments in Cork 10 days ago at a time when many 49s still didn't have appointments. Maybe the geographical size of Cork leads to anomalies?

In principle only. 43 year olds in Cork got appointments yesterday in Cork, a day before they were supposed to register. Meanwhile plenty of the 45-49 cohort in Cork still waiting. I assume this was some mess-up though. In general though you are correct that the system works by age. That said even before yesterday, I knew 45s who got appointments in Cork 10 days ago at a time when many 49s still didn't have appointments. Maybe the geographical size of Cork leads to anomalies?

That anomaly is eircode and mvc specific
    The city mvcs are vaccinating so fast they are running out of patients
    Its a wonder people in the rest of the country haven't started using random cork city post codes and get vaccinated down there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

The designated day is just to stop the website crashing
    Its nothing to do with when you get your text

It's quite important that the website doesnt crash.

That anomaly is eircode and mvc specific
    The city mvcs are vaccinating so fast they are running out of patients
    Its a wonder people in the rest of the country haven't started using random cork city post codes and get vaccinated down there

It's nothing to do with eircodes and MVCs I'm afraid. Several people on here (yours truly included!) Have posted that they are waiting two weeks as part of cohort 45-49 while our younger spouses, who registered yesterday as part of the 40-44 cohort (and of course share a postcode and locality of MVCs) got appointments within hours.

It's nothing to do with eircodes and MVCs I'm afraid. Several people on here (yours truly included!) Have posted that they are waiting two weeks as part of cohort 45-49 while our younger spouses, who registered yesterday as part of the 40-44 cohort (and of course share a postcode and locality of MVCs) got appointments within hours.

It does actually, it just probably means your younger other half has probably been lucky enough to benefit in a change of mvc to post code
    This has been happening a lot so obviously there's human intervention going on but not intuitively enough to bother with people left behind
    Ie they shift a lump of new cohort members only

It does actually, it just probably means your younger other half has probably been lucky enough to benefit in a change of mvc to post code
    This has been happening a lot so obviously there's human intervention going on but not intuitively enough to bother with people left behind
    Ie they shift a lump of new cohort members only

Can you just explain that further please, as you may be right and I'd love any explanation at this stage. What exactly do you mean by change of mvc to postcode? Thanks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you're not getting the text, especially after a week or two, you absolutely have to start checking the portal every day. Lots of people are reporting that they've got no text, but there's an appointment waiting for them on the portal.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    If you're not getting the text, especially after a week or two, you absolutely have to start checking the portal every day. Lots of people are reporting that they've got no text, but there's an appointment waiting for them on the portal.

As you know you get a text to verify most, but not all of the time (about half the time that you refresh the page you can do so without needing a verification code) you check the portal. Since I registered I seem to have (just counted) about 60 texts giving verification codes. Then there are the times I checked by refreshing and didn't need a code. So I reckon the 100+ times I have checked over the last two weeks should have me covered (not that I'm becoming obsessed or anything:o)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Toodles_27 wrote: »
    Any idea where Limerick MVC is at the minute? Gone back through the thread but nothing mentioned recently.

Do you mean that literally or what age they are currently doing? If literally, they are at the Radisson until Saturday, closed Sunday in order to facilitate the move to the Racecourse. They should hopefully reopen there on Monday. If age group, they are doing some 45 year olds tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭JPup

VonLuck wrote: »
    Seems to be a very regular question, specifically for this age group. I wonder if the forums are largely populated by 30-35 year olds, or maybe they're the most vaccine eager in society!

The forum was flooded with posts for the past couple of weeks asking when 40-44 year olds could register. So not specific to 30-35 year olds. It's natural that whatever group is next in line will be eager for more information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not quite about vaccines but a summary of work on the Pfizer antiviral pill. Lots of links to other more detailed sources in here as well.
    Where most antiviral agents we've tried to treat Covid-19 target the inflammatory and immune response resulting from infection, Pfizer's pill directly targets SARS-CoV-2 — the virus itself.

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2021/0602/1225628-pzifer-covid-pill/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

They seem to be arranging it by age, right down to the day by the looks of it... I have a family member that ran into and old school pal of his with the exact same DOB

So if there are more 49 year olds in Cork than there are in Waterford for example it means Waterford would move to the 48 year olds earlier than Cork would

The same logic could be applied to every county and every age group

Can you just explain that further please, as you may be right and I'd love any explanation at this stage. What exactly do you mean by change of mvc to postcode? Thanks...

People in the NE being sent to the Helix instead of local
    People in North wexford eg husband sent to Greystones, wife to Enniscorthy
    Same house 2 years younger
    People in Enniscorthy being sent to carlow
    This shuffling is going on a lot by age group or DoB

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Navy blue

Sorry if this has been asked already, but I am just registering for my vaccine and I am wondering if you have to use your home Eircode or can you use your work Eircode? The vaccination centre nearer my work would suit me better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

People in the NE being sent to the Helix instead of local
    People in North wexford eg husband sent to Greystones, wife to Enniscorthy
    Same house 2 years younger
    People in Enniscorthy being sent to carlow
    This shuffling is going on a lot by age group or DoB
    They're obviously not doing a great job if people in the same house are waiting for an appointment and are older, while a younger person is already vaccinated at their local vaccination centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,791 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

They're obviously not doing a great job if people in the same house are waiting for an appointment and are older, while a younger person is already vaccinated at their local vaccination centre

I would put it that they're doing an excellent job at getting people vaccinated in a timely fashion the cost of that is some inefficiencies in the order people are being vaccinated in, which is probably fine if the delay is less than a few weeks. I'd be more concerned with issues in the 60+ level where people have fallen through the cracks in the system.

Thread title also needs to be updated :)

The algorithm doesn't appear to allow for that
    Its more to do with Age,vaccine availability, slot use and the schedulers mood on any given day I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Sun2Snow

astrofool wrote: »
    I would put it that they're doing an excellent job at getting people vaccinated in a timely fashion the cost of that is some inefficiencies in the order people are being vaccinated in, which is probably fine if the delay is less than a few weeks. I'd be more concerned with issues in the 60+ level where people have fallen through the cracks in the system.

Agreed, believe they are doing an outstanding job.
    I have heard of partners going to different centres, while they were close in age husband was over 50 and wife was under. Wife went for mRNA I believe that is what we want to hear.
    It is a worry how some 60+ are falling through the cracks but I don’t believe that is necessarily the system. I was talking to a 60+ last week who didn’t know how to register, we sorted that and they are up and running now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Sun2Snow

Agreed, believe they are doing an outstanding job.
    I have heard of partners going to different centres, while they were close in age husband was over 50 and wife was under. Wife went for mRNA I believe that is what we want to hear.
    It is a worry how some 60+ are falling through the cracks but I don’t believe that is necessarily the system. I was talking to a 60+ last week who didn’t know how to register, we sorted that and they are up and running now.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

The algorithm doesn't appear to allow for that
    Its more to do with Age,vaccine availability, slot use and the schedulers mood on any given day I think

I rang the HSE helpline and they advised that people within an a certain age group are picked at random.

For example a 46 year old could be vaccinated before a 49 year old. This has been the experience among my friends aged 45-49 in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Sun2Snow wrote: »

This is very true and happening everywhere. There was a poster complaining a few days ago that his sister in Holland is 55 and hadn't heard anything yet from the Dutch vaccination program. I'm also in the Netherlands and pointed out that that age group had been invited 2 weeks previously and they were at the 40 year old age group by that stage. It's all over the news, social media, expat forums etc etc so you'd want to be actively not engaging in order to miss it. Understandable if over a certain age (kind of, Dutch "elderly" would be highly insulted by a suggestion that they're not tech literate :pac:), but 55 isn't old.

strongback wrote: »
    I rang the HSE helpline and they advised that people within an a certain age group are picked at random.

For example a 46 year old could be vaccinated before a 49 year old. This has been the experience among my friends aged 45-49 in Dublin.

The HSE helpline has a different answer for every call ie its useless
    Its only for people really with no Internet who need to register
    They make it up is the experience of this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

It's quite important that the website doesnt crash.

My Whatsapp group of old college buddies (Ranging between age 41-43) was hopping on Tuesday night when one of the lads found out you could register early.

They nearly all went on and registered, thinking they were skipping the queue. I'm sure many many more were like them. Won't make an iota of difference to when they're called, all they were doing was putting extra pressure on the system. As someone said earlier....this is why we can't have nice things!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Sarah1916

Navy blue wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked already, but I am just registering for my vaccine and I am wondering if you have to use your home Eircode or can you use your work Eircode? The vaccination centre nearer my work would suit me better.

I have heard of people using work eircodes as it is more convenient for them. I wasn't asked for proof of address when getting my vaccine. I am pregnant and all Coombe patients were sent to Citywest so I am not sure if that is the reason but I don't think my dad was asked for proof of address either.
    They just want people vaccinated now - I would find it hard to believe they would turn someone away because you gave the wrong address.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

Do you ever stop moaning -give it a rest your repeating this point for the last 2 days zzzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Le Bruise wrote: »
    My Whatsapp group of old college buddies (Ranging between age 41-43) was hopping on Tuesday night when one of the lads found out you could register early.

They nearly all went on and registered, thinking they were skipping the queue. I'm sure many many more were like them. Won't make an iota of difference to when they're called, all they were doing was putting extra pressure on the system. As someone said earlier....this is why we can't have nice things!

Obviously not ideal but in the long term we'll be better off as a society if the registration system is under heavy pressure as opposed to no one using it :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Done, we will go with the *official* line and I'll change it again tomorrow etc etc ;)

Advertisement