Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

km79 wrote: »
    Turn up 4 weeks to the day at same time ?

No, you cannot turn up at a MVC without an appointment. You have to be down to be vaccinated on the list for the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

Strazdas wrote: »
    No, you cannot turn up at a MVC without an appointment. You have to be down to be vaccinated on the list for the day.

I’ve pretty sure I’ve seen a fair few people on this thread day they haven’t heard back about second dose and were advised to just turn up 28 days later at same time and they would be on the list . Which they did and were vaccinated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭celt262

I’ve pretty sure I’ve seen a fair few people on this thread day they haven’t heard back about second dose and were advised to just turn up 28 days later at same time and they would be on the list . Which they did and were vaccinated

Yep have seen that here myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mossie

Turn up 4 weeks to the day at same time ?

I was told second appointment would be approximately 28 days not exactly 28 so wait for text.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

mossie wrote: »
    I was told second appointment would be approximately 28 days not exactly 28 so wait for text.

But if the text hasn’t come is the issue ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

is_that_so wrote: »
    That's why there is a 3 week window, enough time to do all of an age group! That said some of the posts on the appointments thread would disagree with the claim.

A 26 year colleage at work tells me he has a GP appointment to get vacinated next week. He says his 21 year old brother has been vacinated.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    The same happened to me when i went for my first shot. My old school pal with the exact same DOB as myself was sitting in the chair next to me. :pac:

If it is done strictly by date then Croke Park is two weeks behind the Aviva in getting through the 45-49 year olds.

Got the text 15 days after applying. Appointment in Croke Park.

Getting the first shot 3 weeks to the day after applying (45-49 group)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,408 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

US finally to start releasing real quantities of vaccines to COVAX, UN and allies

https://www.thejournal.ie/biden-sharing-us-vaccines-5457392-Jun2021/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Anyone heard of people rocking up to a mVC at the end of the day chancing their arm? I’m thinking people who have registered and in the system but havnt got an appointment yet?

There must be spare doses or how are the managing that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,920 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Anyone heard of people rocking up to a mVC at the end of the day chancing their arm?

Pun intended?

Oh right, but those people are presumably scheduled to be vaccinated that day. I was saying though you cannot just turn up without any appointment at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ll31

Oh right, but those people are presumably scheduled to be vaccinated that day. I was saying though you cannot just turn up without any appointment at all.

Yeah just turning up seems wrong tbh.. might ring helpline at weekend and see what they advise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Theres no comparison study between 8 and 12 weeks so I wouldn't worry
    Trust the scientists before the armchairs

I see Kingston Mills says AZ vaccine does not protect against serious illness from the Delta variant. We should be given 2nd Pfizer dose instead he says.

Therefore why would anyone bother taking 2nd dose of a vaccine that doesn’t give you a pathway to almost normal life again.

The plus 60 people are going to be at high risk now, crazy stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Widescreen wrote: »
    I see Kingston Mills says AZ vaccine does not protect against serious illness from the Delta variant. We should be given 2nd Pfizer dose he says.

Therefore why would anyone bother taking 2nd dose of a vaccine that doesn’t give you a pathway to almost normal life again.

The plus 60 people are going to be at high risk now, crazy stuff
    Not true

The second dose of AZ gives a much higher efficy than the first . 60-66% against the Indian variant .

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/uk-57214596.amp

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Folks I finally registered for the vaccine thirty seconds ago but haven't yet gotten an appointment. Should I get on to someone :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,288 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I see Kingston Mills says AZ vaccine does not protect against serious illness from the Delta variant.

Well that's just not true at all and the UK is proving it in terms of Indian variant and groups that would be fully vaccinated. 2 doses are protecting so why wouldn't you get the 2nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Polar101

astrofool wrote: »
    The full article and headline from one of the virologist behind the study

Sources for what I posted were https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-11963971 and https://www.hs.fi/kotimaa/art-2000008023464.html
    but I couldn't find an English version yet so I didn't include the links.

Well that's just not true at all and the UK is proving it in terms of Indian variant and groups that would be fully vaccinated. 2 doses are protecting so why wouldn't you get the 2nd.

I think Mills' comments have gotten a bit jumbled up. He seems to be urging the state to quickly vaccinate AZ recipients with a second dose of any vaccine, including AZ itself (to combat the Indian variant).

He's talking about a single dose of AZ not being effective and that people need the second dose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,408 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Journal on UK hospitalisations for Delta variant

Of the 479 people who attended A&E in England between 1 February and 31 May and who were confirmed as having the Indian variant, 309 were unvaccinated while 18 had received both doses.
    And of the 137 cases where attendance at A&E resulted in an overnight inpatient admission, 90 were unvaccinated while seven had received both doses.

https://www.thejournal.ie/delta-variant-dominant-uk-5457542-Jun2021/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Widescreen

I think Mills' comments have gotten a bit jumbled up. He seems to be urging the state to quickly vaccinate AZ recipients with a second dose of any vaccine, including AZ itself (to combat the Indian variant).

He's talking about a single dose of AZ not being effective and that people need the second dose.

Sorry a bit late! You’re right ,first dose. He still thinks over 60’s should get 2nd dose of Pfizer though as was done in Germany and several other countries.

Sorry a bit late! You’re right ,first dose. He still thinks over 60’s should get 2nd dose of Pfizer though as was done in Germany and several other countries.

Well, apparently the plan is to give them the second AZ dose after 8 weeks (providing they can get their hands on sufficient doses). They are planning for this as we speak - it was mentioned at the HSE briefing today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭corkie

ixoy wrote: »
    Folks I finally registered for the vaccine thirty seconds ago but haven't yet gotten an appointment. Should I get on to someone :pac:
    ^^^ Mod: Sci-Fi & Fantasy, Stargate, ZTest

Use the SG & time travel 3 or up to 21 days into future and see when your appointment is? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭majo

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Not true

The second dose of AZ gives a much higher efficy than the first . 60-66% against the Indian variant .

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/uk-57214596.amp

I also saw a scientific article that described AZ as a “slow burner”. Author said that a few weeks after second dose, AZ gave a very high degree of protection- 80% plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭robinbird

majo wrote: »
    I also saw a scientific article that described AZ as a “slow burner”. Author said that a few weeks after second dose, AZ gave a very high degree of protection- 80% plus.

Apparantly over 90% of those that were given a choice of vaccine for second dose in Spain stuck with AZ. No real evidence it is less affectatious.
    Offering different vaccine for second dose would undermine public confidence even further in AZ and they took the right decision not to do so.

Strong argument though for reducing time between doses to 8 or 10 weeks provided there is enough supply. And given that it is only being used for second doses there should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭robinbird

HSE announces that vaccines administered will be reduced again next week and will probably be at least 50,000 less than two weeks ago. At a time when we should be ramping up we seem to be instead ramping down. Anecdotally MVCs now operating at well below capacity.
    And this is a week where Pfizer alone delivered 280,000 doses. Would be very interesting to see how many they are holding in storage at the moment. When they stopped releasing storage figures there were 650,000.

Surely when there are still hundreds of thousands still waiting on registration by age they should be going through the age cohorts quicker and giving out what they have rather than holding vaccines back.

Just this weeks Pfizer delivery alone would probably have done for all the 35-39 yr olds left willing to register.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

everlast75 wrote: »
    Pun intended?

Nope -but it would have been good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

robinbird wrote: »
    HSE announces that vaccines administered will be reduced again next week and will probably be at least 50,000 less than two weeks ago. At a time when we should be ramping up we seem to be instead ramping down. Anecdotally MVCs now operating at well below capacity.
    And this is a week where Pfizer alone delivered 280,000 doses. Would be very interesting to see how many they are holding in storage at the moment. When they stopped releasing storage figures there were 650,000.

Surely when there are still hundreds of thousands still waiting on registration by age they should be going through the age cohorts quicker and giving out what they have rather than holding vaccines back.

Just this weeks Pfizer delivery alone would probably have done for all the 35-39 yr olds left willing to register.

95% are seemingly in arms within one week. Rollout is generally going well so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Polar101

Headline is a bit dodgy.. from the text:
    The study found that after just one dose of the Pfizer jab, people are less likely to develop antibody levels against the Delta variant, as high as those seen against the previously dominant Alpha variant, which was first discovered in Kent.

Advertisement