Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

What a ridiculous headline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

There will come a variant that will break through the vaccines, I'm sure of it. But I'm also certain pharmaceutical companies will be able to be able to produce vaccines at unwordly scales in the coming years and be able to 'tweak' them rapily to overcome variants.

Vaccination boosters every year will be the new normal. But maybe after a while the protection will be able to be offered in tablet form instead and posted to every household and homeless shelter.

The saying 'we're not safe until everyone is safe' has never rang more true.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

https://twitter.com/redouad/status/1400392659232071681

For context, it was one billion on 24th April, five and a half weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭robinbird

95% are seemingly in arms within one week. Rollout is generally going well so far.

Even if that claim is true it is very misleading as this is 95% of all vaccines delivered over last five months. The 5% of total held back becomes larger with each passing week.

Just a rough calculation on what we know. Estimated deliveries this week would be about 400,000 ( 280,000 pfizer confirmed, probably 40,000 AZ, at least 80,000 Jansen and Moderna) Although only a guess as they won't release figures. In addition there were 650,000 in storage when last official figures were released.

Next week the plan is to further decrease number of vaccines administered to approx 260,000.

We need to stop congratulating ourselves and ask instead why so many vaccines are being held back.

Proportion of vaccine doses distributed to the EU/EEA countries that have been administered (%)

The proportion of vaccine doses distributed to EU/EEA countries that have been administered as of 30 May 2021. It reflects the utilisation of the available stock of vaccine doses in each country.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/covid-19/vaccine-roll-out-overview

Austria 99%
    Belgium 95%
    Denmark 99%
    Germamy 90%
    Italy 90%
    Spain 95 %

Ireland 82%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,079 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Registered earlier, kind of terrified of the injection, will not be watching. If it turns out that the vaccine doesn't work properly the government should offer assisted suicide for perfectly healthy people from January 2022 onwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

ixoy wrote: »
    Folks I finally registered for the vaccine thirty seconds ago but haven't yet gotten an appointment. Should I get on to someone :pac:

You'll get your appointment next week when boards is closed for maintenance and you won't be able to tell us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

robinbird wrote: »
    Even if that claim is true it is very misleading as this is 95% of all vaccines delivered over last five months. The 5% of total held back becomes larger with each passing week.

Just a rough calculation on what we know. Estimated deliveries this week would be about 400,000 ( 280,000 pfizer confirmed, probably 40,000 AZ, at least 80,000 Jansen and Moderna) Although only a guess as they won't release figures. In addition there were 650,000 in storage when last official figures were released.

Next week the plan is to further decrease number of vaccines administered to approx 260,000.

We need to stop congratulating ourselves and ask instead why so many vaccines are being held back.

Proportion of vaccine doses distributed to the EU/EEA countries that have been administered (%)

The proportion of vaccine doses distributed to EU/EEA countries that have been administered as of 30 May 2021. It reflects the utilisation of the available stock of vaccine doses in each country.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/covid-19/vaccine-roll-out-overview

Austria 99%
    Belgium 95%
    Denmark 99%
    Germamy 90%
    Italy 90%
    Spain 95 %

Ireland 82%

Literally 2 seconds looking at that report and I can see that Irelands data has been impacted by the ransomeware attack. Given you hang around here quite a bit, I would be certain you can see that too but chose to ignore it as it suited your agenda.

Interestingly, the information you linked says that Ireland had 2.85m doses in the country as at 30 May. And we know from the HSE that we reached 2.9m doses in arms on 2 July, just 3 days later. So we have more doses in arms than were even in the country to date just 3 days earlier, sounds like we are right on the edge of running out of doses, not storing them.

Interesting how you didn't lead with that information :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Registered earlier, kind of terrified of the injection, will not be watching. If it turns out that the vaccine doesn't work properly the government should offer assisted suicide for perfectly healthy people from January 2022 onwards.
    You'll be fine! Have been chatting with a few vaccinated, including some with a needle problem. Mostly they didn't even notice it being done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

95% are seemingly in arms within one week. Rollout is generally going well so far.

Have you a link to that stat.

• Advertisement

Have you a link to that stat.

It's from February but he keeps repeating it. Moderna requires a 50% hold as per manufacturer and we all know about AZ deliveries.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40229378.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,388 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I really am sick of people falling for clickbait articles.

Vicxas wrote: »
    I really am sick of people falling for clickbait articles.
    Are you referring to the link I provided? The poster was looking for a link to that oft-repeated 95% usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Polar101 wrote: »
    Headline is a bit dodgy.. from the text:
    What a ridiculous headline.

It does also state that:

According to the research, in people who had received two doses of the Pfizer vaccine, levels of neutralising antibodies were more than five times lower against the Indian variant when compared to the original strain, upon which current vaccines are based.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Zipppy wrote: »
    It does also state that:

According to the research, in people who had received two doses of the Pfizer vaccine, levels of neutralising antibodies were more than five times lower against the Indian variant when compared to the original strain, upon which current vaccines are based.

5 times lower antibodies ≠ 5 times lower efficiency.
    They need to start putting the information across in terms of:
    Vs original strain: 95% reduced risk of hospitalisation.
    vs Kent strain: 90 reduced risk of hospitalisation
    Vs Indian strain: etc....
    Media certainly won't, as 5x less antibodies will get more clicks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,388 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

is_that_so wrote: »
    Are you referring to the link I provided? The poster was looking for a link to that oft-repeated 95% usage.

Nope, referring to that ITV tweet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,791 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Literally 2 seconds looking at that report and I can see that Irelands data has been impacted by the ransomeware attack. Given you hang around here quite a bit, I would be certain you can see that too but chose to ignore it as it suited your agenda.

Interestingly, the information you linked says that Ireland had 2.85m doses in the country as at 30 May. And we know from the HSE that we reached 2.9m doses in arms on 2 July, just 3 days later. So we have more doses in arms than were even in the country to date just 3 days earlier, sounds like we are right on the edge of running out of doses, not storing them.

Interesting how you didn't lead with that information :)

It has become a case of the boy who cried wolf, the willful ignorance of how to read the data and to look at the dates is a worry. What is the agenda there, or is it just a dislike of the HSE? I can't believe they didn't see the May 23rd date on the Ireland data as it's been pointed out to them oodles of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

As far as I can tell the EMA are currently doing a rolling review of the following vaccines, date rolling review started in brackets... If I've missed one please feel free to call me out as I am only human

NVX-CoV2373 - Novavax (03/02/21)
    CVnCoV - Curevac (12/02/21)
    Sputnik V - Gamaleya (04/03/21)
    Vero Cell - Sinovac (04/05/21)
    Vir-7831 - GSK/Vir Bio (07/05/21)

So we can probably expect new vaccines by the end of 2022 at the EMAs current rate of approval

Wolf359f wrote: »
    5 times lower antibodies ≠ 5 times lower efficiency.
    They need to start putting the information across in terms of:
    Vs original strain: 95% reduced risk of hospitalisation.
    vs Kent strain: 90 reduced risk of hospitalisation
    Vs Indian strain: etc....
    Media certainly won't, as 5x less antibodies will get more clicks!

A legitimate concern is so far these studies have been carried out in the UK anyway in a lock down mostly and not in a fully opened society yet
    You'd have to be watching what happens in a full opening where a virus has more reign
    There was a pretty sick person interviewed isolating at home on itv news last night who had just one shot
    It wasn't said which one

As far as I can tell the EMA are currently doing a rolling review of the following vaccines, date rolling review started in brackets... If I've missed one please feel free to call me out as I am only human

So we can probably expect new vaccines by the end of 2022 at the EMAs current rate of approval
    Think the EMA have now adopted the rolling review as a standard approach. It's far faster.

There is also a pre-clinical trial of a GSK/CureVac mRNA 2nd generation vaccine.

http://www.pmlive.com/pharma_news/positive_results_for_gskcurevacs_covid-19_vaccine_1370045

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

On the topic of variants and antibodies, and protection from disease:

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.06.01.446491v1.full

Highlights:

1. SARS-cov (SARS) vaccine protects against SARS-cov-2 (Covid-19) with only having 76% sequence identity between the two spikes
    2. All vaccines induce cross-reactive antibodies to other coronaviruses (OC43 might be on its way out)
    3. Disease is controlled by T cells and antibodies (one or the other, or both will protect).
    4. There are two highly conserved T cell epitopes in the Spike among most coronaviruses, they are also immunodominant (i.e. recognized by most individuals)
    5. Dendritic cell based vaccines are a thing

Now I want to see how a SARS-cov-2 prime would work with a SARS-cov booster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Folks, is there a one-stop resource I can look at re: vaccines and protection from variants? I'm hearing stuff from co-workers at work that I am 99% sure is awful b*llocks but I can't be 100% sure :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Furze99 wrote: »
    Who's queuing up to take it?? The room noise is that it's less effective against newer variants and that the issue with potential clots is across all ages.

Particular type of clot is a known in both AZ and Jansen, differing types of clots are a known in all the approved vaccines.
    Myocarditis is now a known link and side effect for young people and has been reported in various countries. As more younger people receive vaccines, it will be watched for - as are clots.

The effectiveness for both Pfizer and AZ against the D (Kappa variant) is helpfully explained here. The result being that AZ are expected to be on parr with Pfizer, c85-90%.

The results from PHE mentioned that due to the second dosing days interval. AZ is expected to catch up to c85-90%
    This thread is really helpful at explaining the effectiveness against Kappa Indian variant - with source data.

The second jab is key - whatever jab you are offered, take it.

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1396409964239917056

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Particular type of clot is a known in both AZ and Jansen, differing types of clots are a known in all the approved vaccines.
    Myocarditis is now a known link and side effect for young people and has been reported in various countries. As more younger people receive vaccines, it will be watched for - as are clots.

The effectiveness for both Pfizer and AZ against the D (Kappa variant) is helpfully explained here. The result being that AZ are expected to be on parr with Pfizer, c85-90%.

The results from PHE mentioned that due to the second dosing days interval. AZ is expected to catch up to c85-90%
    This thread is really helpful at explaining the effectiveness against Kappa Indian variant - with source data.

The second jab is key - whatever jab you are offered, take it.

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1396409964239917056
    funnydoggy wrote: »
    Folks, is there a one-stop resource I can look at re: vaccines and protection from variants? I'm hearing stuff from co-workers at work that I am 99% sure is awful b*llocks but I can't be 100% sure :pac:

Let's get this much clear...

The best vaccine you can get is the first one you are offered,

Stats like efficacy, suppliers, manufacturers, number of doses, none of it matters in the bigger scheme of things as we are all likely to get boosters in a few months time anyway

USA are using mainly pfizer/biontech and moderna

The UK are using a mix but have a substantial order for Ox/AZ

Israel has used pfizer/biontech exclusively

In all 3 countries we have seen that case numbers and deaths have plummeted J&J data looks good also but I don't have a country-wide example of same as it's so new to the market

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

A legitimate concern is so far these studies have been carried out in the UK anyway in a lock down mostly and not in a fully opened society yet
    You'd have to be watching what happens in a full opening where a virus has more reign
    There was a pretty sick person interviewed isolating at home on itv news last night who had just one shot
    It wasn't said which one

Antibody response has feic all to do with lockdown. You don't produce more antibodies locked down compared to the economy being open. Same goes for efficiency.

Do you know when this sick person contracted covid, underlying conditions, how long before/after their first jab etc...

Even the data from PHE comes with the caveat that those who contracted the Indian variant and had both doses of AZ, contracted it very soon after their second jab. The data is incomplete. If you were to use it as gospel, you could say the mortality rate after a second jab is 10x higher than unvaccinated (the data on second jabs is so little)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

It wasn't said which one

So they interviewed someone who was not fully vaccinated!!!

If the person had their two jabs and had waited the time period after the second jab to be considered fully vaccinated and then after that became ill then it would be of interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Jasus, I feel guilty for clicking on that link and contributing to the continuing decline of journalism. The selective nature of these kind of articles are approaching parody levels now though. The media are so desperate to extend the gravy train that is Covid, that they are willing to print and emphasise all the worst-case scenarios, hypotheticals, and incomplete data. I know that's in their best interest, and sells papers/generates traffic but, at this stage, it is approaching journalist negligence at best and undermining the trust and integrity of the vaccine programme at worst. If Covid has accelerated anything, it's the era of informing is long gone, only to be replaced by hyperbole and hysteria.

Rolling review means they are looking at preliminary data prior to submission to speed up approval once the submission is made. How many of those have actually applied for market approval?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

UK approves Pfizer for 12-15 year olds

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57358446

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Cork2021

3 Millionth vaccine to be administered this weekend!

Anyone have an updated delivery schedule for vaccines for June?

https://twitter.com/donnellystephen/status/1400771873567301632?s=21

Advertisement