Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Cork2021 wrote: »
    3 Millionth vaccine to be administered this weekend!

Anyone have an updated delivery schedule for vaccines for June?

https://twitter.com/donnellystephen/status/1400771873567301632?s=21

We've had a great few weeks. That puts us at just over 60 shots per 100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

robinbird wrote: »
    Apparantly over 90% of those that were given a choice of vaccine for second dose in Spain stuck with AZ. No real evidence it is less affectatious.

Do you have anything to back this up? I think you may be misinterpreting the stats. In Spain if you are under 60 you are getting Pfizer as a second dose. If Pfizer is not available you have the ability to sign a consent form to take AZ again. So if anything the numbers are incredibly small.

[url] https://www.google.ie/amp/s/english.elpais.com/society/2021-05-21/in-spain-under-60s-with-one-astrazeneca-dose-may-choose-between-two-options-for-second-shot.html?outputType=amp[/url]
    “The right to choose is not recommendable in this case and it is not recognized,” said Committee President Federico de Montalvo. “The correct decision, as agreed by the Public Health Committee, is a heterologous course of action with a second dose by Pfizer. But given the risk that a person could be left without a complete vaccination treatment, and considering what this means collectively and individually, if a person expresses rejection, then we recommend that they be offered a second dose of AstraZeneca.”

Offering different vaccine for second dose would undermine public confidence even further in AZ and they took the right decision not to do so.

Public confidence is already massively undermined with it. I think NIAC will kick the can down the road due to political pressure. If they make it through June without changing advice then there are no real issues as the under 40s will have been given the opportunity of a second dose. If the under 40s mass refuse, then things could get interesting.

And speaking of Spain it is better to take Pfizer after AZ. So given all the at risk groups given AZ, NIAC should be pushing for it to be a second jab of Pfizer.
    Meanwhile, the presence of neutralising antibodies rose sevenfold after a Pfizer dose, significantly more than the doubling effect observed after a second AstraZeneca shot.

[url] https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/spanish-study-finds-astrazeneca-vaccine-followed-by-pfizer-dose-is-safe-2021-05-18/[/url]
    Strong argument though for reducing time between doses to 8 or 10 weeks provided there is enough supply. And given that it is only being used for second doses there should be.

Don’t disagree here. Really reduce it for over 50s to 8 weeks and give under 50s Pfizer as a second dose if we are desperate to use the vaccine. Ideally everyone who got dose 1 of AZ gets dose 2 of Pfizer/Moderna…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭Rket4000

is_that_so wrote: »
    You'll be fine! Have been chatting with a few vaccinated, including some with a needle problem. Mostly they didn't even notice it being done.

You can include me in that cohort... Just looked away and it was literally done in a flash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Rket4000 wrote: »
    You can include me in that cohort... Just looked away and it was literally done in a flash

Agreed, it was fast and over in a flash, didn’t feel a thing, but I def didn’t look at the needle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

I’m dreading it too
    Can’t even watch a needle on TV
    Needs must though :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

snotboogie wrote: »
    We've had a great few weeks. That puts us at just over 60 shots per 100.

Was it at 65 Israel started to see the big drop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

pc7 wrote: »
    Was it at 65 Israel started to see the big drop?
    It was 60%, but fully vaxxed, that Israel's case numbers collapsed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

ddarcy wrote: »

Don’t disagree here. Really reduce it for over 50s to 8 weeks and give under 50s Pfizer as a second dose if we are desperate to use the vaccine. Ideally everyone who got dose 1 of AZ gets dose 2 of Pfizer/Moderna…

HSE hinted yesterday at their briefing that they are already working on the NIAC advice and making active plans to change the second AZ dosing. I got the impression this could start within days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

seamus wrote: »

That may have prompted Varadkars statement of “ 60% is where we need to be at”

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Strazdas wrote: »
    HSE hinted yesterday at their briefing that they are already working on the NIAC advice and making active plans to change the second AZ dosing. I got the impression this could start within days.

Have they been trialling mixing vaccines in Ireland? If so, I hope the results are published soon.

tThink I mentioned it a few posts ago, Germany, Spain have been trialling, UK too, with expected results soon to be announced- although the trial numbers were relatively small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Has there been any further update about vaccine digital certificates et for Ireland - EU Digital COVID cert. When expected etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

I just chatted away as normal and didn't look. it didn't hurt at all and it was over in a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Does anyone know what Luas stop do I get off at for the Citywest vaccination centre? Is it the Citywest Campus stop?

Have they been trialling mixing vaccines in Ireland? If so, I hope the results are published soon.

tThink I mentioned it a few posts ago, Germany, Spain have been trialling, UK too, with expected results soon to be announced- although the trial numbers were relatively small.

No ireland hasn’t done a clinical trial for this. There is a massive ongoing one in the Uk right now which is mixing all sorts of vaccines (don’t quote me exactly on this, but I believe they have done AZ-Pfizer (and reverse) which was the main goal of the study, Novovax-Pfizer/Moderna and AZ-Novovax).

Spain said there was a 7x antibody increase when it was AZ-Pfizer; AZ-AZ was 2x antibody increase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what Luas stop do I get off at for the Citywest vaccination centre? Is it the Citywest Campus stop?

The stop is Saggart and then a 5 minute walk

Has there been any further update about vaccine digital certificates et for Ireland - EU Digital COVID cert. When expected etc.

Yes, it becomes active in Ireland on Monday, July 19th.

Not clear yet though how it will actually work. Presumably, you have to download an app or something before this and enter in all your own details and it downloads your certificate from a central database or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Got an appointment for Tues Pfizer 1st jab. Issue is with 4 weeks between jabs I'm due for jury duty in 4 weeks. Anybody know if it makes a difference if my 2nd jab is delayed by a couple of weeks?

Yes I know from June 14th there will be a lot of AZ second doses already in the system for 12 weeks. That’s 12 weeks since the start of AZ after the first pause. They may just fill up the MVCs with AZ from this date instead of giving first doses to others. (Or just doses will be minimised to deal with the second dose Pfizer/Moderna needed as well too).

I think this is more for show though as you have supply issues and space issues. Hard to see them prioritising a 60 year at 8 weeks over a cohort 4/7 at 12 weeks. Only real way it will work is to give Pfizer/Moderna as a second dose. Could be wrong, but that’s what I see now currently from a logistical point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Got an appointment for Tues Pfizer 1st jab. Issue is with 4 weeks between jabs I'm due for jury duty in 4 weeks. Anybody know if it makes a difference if my 2nd jab is delayed by a couple of weeks?

No, 28 days is the first point from which you're ready for the second dose, not the exact time. I got mine after 30 days.

ddarcy wrote: »
    Yes I know from June 14th there will be a lot of AZ second doses already in the system for 12 weeks. That’s 12 weeks since the start of AZ after the first pause. They may just fill up the MVCs with AZ from this date instead of giving first doses to others. (Or just doses will be minimised to deal with the second dose Pfizer/Moderna needed as well too).

I think this is more for show though as you have supply issues and space issues. Hard to see them prioritising a 60 year at 8 weeks over a cohort 4/7 at 12 weeks. Only real way it will work is to give Pfizer/Moderna as a second dose. Could be wrong, but that’s what I see now currently from a logistical point of view.

One big incentive to do it is that it will speed up the 'fully vaccinated' numbers total considerably (which has to be the absolute priority). It's possible they could get the vast bulk of already vaccinated AZ recipients fully dosed by the end of July, depending on how they do it and what vaccines they use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well, they've already moved Group 2 back from 16 weeks and the first of the over sixties would now be from about 21 June if they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Daemonic

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    The stop is Saggart and then a 5 minute walk
    Was there today by Luas. When you get off at the Saggart stop walk in the same direction the tram was traveling. You'll see a blue sign on the lamppost about 100m on from the tram stop pointing you to Citywest.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Can I please get some instructions/advice on parking in the Helix and Aviva MVCs? (Wife got appointment in Aviva, myself in Helix.) Not quite sure where to park and how challenging it is at each location. Also, do I need to enter the queue by the specified time or need to arrive an hour or so early? Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

seamus wrote: »
    Haven't heard much on Israel in a while so did a quick search. In 6 months, they have effectively eliminated the virus, some going. Only restriction left in place is the mask mandate for indoors - which is exepected to be gone by the end of this month. International travel will still be subject to ongoing restrictions though for some time, as I expect will be the case for all of us. I think most people can accept that until other countries have comparable vaccination rates.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/middle-east/israel-lifts-almost-all-coronavirus-restrictions-as-daily-cases-near-zero-1.4581347

xboxdad wrote: »
    Can I please get some instructions/advice on parking in the Helix and Aviva MVCs? (Wife got appointment in Aviva, myself in Helix.) Not quite sure where to park and how challenging it is at each location. Also, do I need to enter the queue by the specified time or need to arrive an hour or so early? Thank you.
    The Helix is very easy, just follow where they direct you into the car park and show up at about the time they give you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Qrt

xboxdad wrote: »

I’d say Helix parking would be easy, Aviva on the other hand... best off getting the DART, P&R if you need to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,074 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Finally got my 2nd Pfizer vaccine dose, yay me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Haven't heard much on Israel in a while so did a quick search. In 6 months, they have effectively eliminated the virus, some going. Only restriction left in place is the mask mandate for indoors - which is exepected to be gone by the end of this month. International travel will still be subject to ongoing restrictions though for some time, as I expect will be the case for all of us. I think most people can accept that until other countries have comparable vaccination rates.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/middle-east/israel-lifts-almost-all-coronavirus-restrictions-as-daily-cases-near-zero-1.4581347

Once they got to 120 per 100 they essentially stopped. Malta overtook them per capita today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I'm starting to get impatient now....I just want to register! I'm 36 so wonder how long more I'll have to wait. A friend of mine is 42 and she was offically able to register today, but she chanced her arm 2 days ago and has an appointment for next Tuesday.

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    I'm starting to get impatient now....I just want to register! I'm 36 so wonder how long more I'll have to wait. A friend of mine is 42 and she was offically able to register today, but she chanced her arm 2 days ago and has an appointment for next Tuesday.
    Probably the end of next week for your age group but great to see the enthusiasm!

Advertisement