Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

is_that_so wrote: »
    Probably the end of next week for your age group but great to see the enthusiasm!

Yeah, well I've booked a few days away in Dingle in mid-August....so would like to be done for then! But also excited about actually getting it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

8 weeks today since my first AZ vaccine, 40 year old female in the high risk category, hoping to get my second dose soon.
    My husband got his first Pfizer vaccine 2 weeks ago, be good to have us both done at the same time and be able to move forward at last.

Reduction of dosing interval for AZ being phased in over the coming weeks.

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1400832188753584145?s=19

Also people who are under 50 and immunocompotent and tested positive within preceding 9 months only require one dose of AZ. It was previously 6 months and only for MRNA vaccines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Hardyn wrote: »

I'm one of those due to get a second AZ dose. I reckon I'll be getting mine in mid July now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭corkie

https://twitter.com/roinnslainte/status/1400838623747088384

"Today Minister for Health Stephen Donnelly TD is announcing a shorter interval between doses for the Vaxzevria® (AstraZeneca) vaccine. This follows updated recommendations from NIAC, which have been endorsed by the CMO"
    https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/c34d1-reduction-in-vaxzevria-astrazeneca-vaccine-dose-intervals-approved/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I wonder in reality how quickly it will happen as my work colleagues are now approaching 14 weeks since their first jab and no new appointment sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Also people who are under 50 and immunocompotent and tested positive within preceding 9 months only require one dose of AZ. It was previously 6 months and only for MRNA vaccines.

Would love to know how they are going to record that info so as not to waste appointment slots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭celt262

Would love to know how they are going to record that info so as not to waste appointment slots.

Dont think it makes a fiddlers i know two people who had Covid in March both work in health care and both got called for second shot and went and got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

celt262 wrote: »
    Dont think it makes a fiddlers i know two people who had Covid in March both work in health care and both got called for second shot and went and got it.

The announcement was made today. If they worked in health care high chance they got AZ which the announcement applies to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,057 ✭✭✭✭josip

xboxdad wrote: »
    Can I please get some instructions/advice on parking in the Helix and Aviva MVCs? (Wife got appointment in Aviva, myself in Helix.) Not quite sure where to park and how challenging it is at each location. Also, do I need to enter the queue by the specified time or need to arrive an hour or so early? Thank you.
    Qrt wrote: »
    I’d say Helix parking would be easy, Aviva on the other hand... best off getting the DART, P&R if you need to.

It doesn't get much easier than the Aviva parking, it's underground (under the Wanderers pitch) right beside the stadium. You emerge from the car park and that's where the MVC queue starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

When are they anticipating that we will hit 60% of population being fully vaccinated by? See it's 25% at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

When are they anticipating that we will hit 60% of population being fully vaccinated by? See it's 25% at the moment.

By end of July.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/new-vaccine-target-5452696-May2021/

After today's announcement, no later than 2 months after we have 60% on 1st doses or 2
    We are beyond 50% already without gp data on 1st or 2
    In practice sooner because Pfizer and moderna are the majority of those waiting 2nd doses and then there's the Johnson 1 shot people of which there should be over 400,000 by tge end of June
    In context that jaansen400000 is the same number as currently waiting 2nd AJ doses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭eoinbn

60% of the population by mid August.
    60% of adults by mid July.
    Edit: Journal link is saying 60% is 2.5m. If they are including 12-15 then yeah end of July would be accurate.
    You need to add a week or two before the second dose kicks in.

Marine Layer. Forget about J&J. It is done for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Another preclinical therapeutic and one that could end up as a nasal spray. Still very early days.
    A nasal spritz of a designer antibody offers strong protection against variants of the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 — at least in mice.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01481-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Another preclinical therapeutic and one that could end up as a nasal spray. Still very early days.

I wonder if it comes in flavours.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Is there any rough update anywhere as to where each county is in relation to vaccines? Eg. I heard meath and kildare are well behind (still scheduling 45/6) and westmeath is already scheduling 42.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

yellow hen wrote: »
    Is there any rough update anywhere as to where each county is in relation to vaccines? Eg. I heard meath and kildare are well behind (still scheduling 45/6) and westmeath is already scheduling 42.

I'd be happy just for a return of the daily national figures. Due to the IT systems cyber attack, our (rough) knowledge of the current vaccination numbers at the moment comes via a report from Paul Reid on RTE Radio 1 a couple of times a week..

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

CureVac always seem to be 'a couple of weeks away' but if they are on board and delivering by the start of July that would be great because there's a mountain of 2nd doses needed for other vaccines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,086 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Would be good for kids but so many variables associated with intranasal medication ( in humans , anyhow:)) that would not like to be relying on it as a method to immunise vast numbers .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Godot. wrote: »
    CureVac always seem to be 'a couple of weeks away' but if they are on board and delivering by the start of July that would be great because there's a mountain of 2nd doses needed for other vaccines.

They haven't even finished their efficacy trial, or the very least haven't reported on it. The world needs CureVac, like they Novavax and the rest. But I don't think it will play a part in the EU rollout.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

Will appointments continue to be texted out over the weekend or are they only processed Monday to Friday ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Will appointments continue to be texted out over the weekend or are they only processed Monday to Friday ?

Every day as far as I know. The MVCs operate seven days a week.

Wolf359f wrote: »
    They haven't even finished their efficacy trial, or the very least haven't reported on it. The world needs CureVac, like they Novavax and the rest. But I don't think it will play a part in the EU rollout.

Efficacy will likely be near the lower end of the spectrum -rumours have it around 70%. This would be in line with the info that came out of the P2 trials where it seemed to produce lower antibody levels than the other 2 mRNA vaccines.

It is odd that the trials are taking so long given that covid has been do rampant this year. Pfizer/Moderna took 4 months when the virus was less prevalent but Curevac are over 5 months. Maybe older people are much more cautious now than they were last summer/autumn and aren't getting infected.

eoinbn wrote: »
    Efficacy will likely be near the lower end of the spectrum -rumours have it around 70%. This would be in line with the info that came out of the P2 trials where it seemed to produce lower antibody levels than the other 2 mRNA vaccines.

It is odd that the trials are taking so long given that covid has been do rampant this year. Pfizer/Moderna took 4 months when the virus was less prevalent but Curevac are over 5 months. Maybe older people are much more cautious now than they were last summer/autumn and aren't getting infected.

What rumours? No one would have access to efficacy data yet.

eoinbn wrote: »

There may be a fair bit of noise in their data, it's possible some participants in the placebo group dropped out when offered an approved vaccine. I think they enrolled most of their participants in Germany and included a lot of health workers so when they rolled out their initial doses a lot of those people may have opted to unblind and get a vaccine that had been approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Belgium's forthcoming vaccine deliveries just announced. Ireland's would be roughly 42.8% of this. AZ becoming more predictable which is great for people expecting a 2nd dose in the near future.

E3HdJn4WQAQ7oa3?format=jpg&name=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

I registered today, late 40s. How long can I expect to wait for 1st vaccine?

• Advertisement

Belgium's forthcoming vaccine deliveries just announced. Ireland's would be roughly 42.8% of this. AZ becoming more predictable which is great for people expecting a 2nd dose in the near future.

E3HdJn4WQAQ7oa3?format=jpg&name=medium

Those Pfizer numbers have never been correct for us. In April/May they were under reporting and June was always too high.
    We are expecting less next week - 250k Vs 284k for this week. However those figures are suggesting that reduction will continue the following week. Seems Pfizer/BioNtech are having problems hitting their targets. Hopefully it will be corrected soon.

Advertisement