Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

Next Sunday will be 12 weeks from my first AZ dose, haven’t heard anything yet. Hopefully will get an appointment in the coming week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭thejuggler

I received my second Pfizer vaccine two days ago. No symptoms after first jab other than a sore arm.
    Second vaccine lead to flu like symptoms a day after vaccination: headache, muscle pain, shivers etc. A restless nights sleep followed. Symptoms easing today - in a way it’s good to see my immune system responding to the vaccine. Hopefully over the worst now 24 hours after vaccination.
    Of course as the American’s would say - Your mileage may vary…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭Maryanne40

thejuggler wrote: »
    I received my second Pfizer vaccine two days ago. No symptoms after first jab other than a sore arm.
    Second vaccine lead to flu like symptoms a day after vaccination: headache, muscle pain, shivers etc. A restless nights sleep followed. Symptoms easing today - in a way it’s good to see my immune system responding to the vaccine. Hopefully over the worst now 24 hours after vaccination.
    Of course as the American’s would say - Your mileage may vary…..

I was the same. No reaction at all after the first Pfizer jab but had my second one on Thursday just gone and had quite an unpleasant Friday. Really sore arm, dull headache all day and complete exhaustion. No fever though. Back to normal today, apart from my arm which is still quite sore...I can live with that though. Like yourself, I'm happy to see a reaction in one way, as it seems to prove the immune system is working....(I think!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Maryanne40 wrote: »
    I was the same. No reaction at all after the first Pfizer jab but had my second one on Thursday just gone and had quite an unpleasant Friday. Really sore arm, dull headache all day and complete exhaustion. No fever though. Back to normal today, apart from my arm which is still quite sore...I can live with that though. Like yourself, I'm happy to see a reaction in one way, as it seems to prove the immune system is working....(I think!)

This seems to be commonplace. People not bad at all after the first Pfizer dose but then quite ropey after the second one (whereas it appears to be completely the reverse with AZ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

eddie73 wrote: »
    I registered today, late 40s. How long can I expect to wait for 1st vaccine?
    You might be quicker than some, as you should already be in line by now.
    Anything from a few days to 2 weeks+ seems to be the range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,625 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Getting close to the 30s

31 myself and ill be very disappointed if I don't have at least 1 dose by the end of June

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,380 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Getting close to the 30s

31 myself and ill be very disappointed if I don't have at least 1 dose by the end of June

When they talked about 82% firsrt doses by 30/6 it came to about 35 years of age. Given that, with J&J delays, they don't expect to hit 82%, I would be surprised if they get to age 31 by 30/6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Marcusm wrote: »
    When they talked about 82% firsrt doses by 30/6 it came to about 35 years of age. Given that, with J&J delays, they don't expect to hit 82%, I would be surprised if they get to age 31 by 30/6.

Agreed ,32 myself, mid July is more likely to get first jab say.

Maybe the portal might be open by end of this month.

Marcusm wrote: »

Government and there promises, you have to laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭hynesie08

It was never a promise though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Two weeks isn’t that bad of a delay is it?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Two weeks isn’t that bad of a delay is it?

Its acceptable but they would want the portal to be at least open by the end of June for the 30's

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

It's hard to believe so many in their 30's here will probably not be fully vaccinated by the end of the summer yet in the US they are having a lottery with millions in prizes to encourage people to have a vaccination because the take up is slow.

Personally I would have paid to be vaccinated and I'm fairly sure the majority would have done likewise in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭JPup

TefalBrain wrote: »
    It's hard to believe so many in their 30's here will probably not be fully vaccinated by the end of the summer yet in the US they are having a lottery with millions in prizes to encourage people to have a vaccination because the take up is slow.

Personally I would have paid to be vaccinated and I'm fairly sure the majority would have done likewise in Ireland.

If you include August as part of the summer then everyone in their 30s who wants one should have a vaccine by then and most will have had two doses.

If you are using a July cut off then most 30 somethings should have one shot by then with a reasonable amount (maybe 1/3rd?) fully done.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

I'm just curious if anyone's had any notifications this weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Getting close to the 30s

Well then get set for disappointment as you have absolutely zero chance of getting it by the end of June.

You’ll get it in late July most likely.

But chill out - covid is over baby

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

Well, it's two factors:

1) Ireland's not the US and couldn't just apply command economy style approached with the Defence Production Act nor did the EU take the approach of an absolute ban on exports of vaccines. For example, if we had behaved like the US, the UK would have been cut off from all but its own domestic supplies of AstraZeneca. They'd have had no Pfizer until a few weeks ago. That's exactly what the US did to Canada and Mexico etc.

2) The US has a major anti-vaxxer problem. They have probably vaccinated all the people who are willing to be vaccinated and they're now in the space of needing to encourage as many people to come forward as possible, so that will need gimmicks like lotteries that in West Virginia even included shot guns and rifles as prizes. https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/news/20210602/west-virginia-covid-vaccine-incentives

For the US to get to 80% uptake will be a much bigger struggle than here because of attitudes, not supply and it's likely to be a bigger challenge in some of the 'red states' where conspiracy theories are rife.

We'd a slower start, but we are now moving at a really serious pace and are likely to actually pass them out in a few weeks time on uptake. Irish uptake in the 60+ year old age groups has been pretty much 100%.

The comparison between who gets to what level first isn't really going to matter in a few weeks time.

The US, Europe and UK will all have had world leading vaccine programmes, but what will matter is who gets to 80%+ and that's not looking like all of the EU. Ireland, Denmark, some of the nordic countries, Spain, Portugal and Italy etc are very likely to. So is the UK. Of the major countries in the EU France is looking unlikely to, Germany may struggle to, some of the eastern member states might not even get to 40% - Bulgaria for example has huge issues with conspiracy theorists and distrust of vaccines.

The US has a huge problem getting the volumes up and are actually spending $2bn on messaging - which is bigger than the entire Coca-Cola advertising campaign for the year for example.

But, don't confuse Irish lack of stuff like lotteries as being a negative thing. It's actually down to the fact that we simply don't need to do that kind of incentivising as the population isn't made up of 30-40% conspiracy theorists, unlike some places.

You're also looking at a situation where uptake, certainly in cohorts to-date has been 100% or very close to it, so there hasn't been calls for people in younger age groups to come forward to take up spare doses, as has been the case in Germany for example. They're moving down the age groups faster than we are because people haven't come forward in the same numbers.

From what I can see in Ireland, the vast majority of the population want these vaccines and are very willing to come forward and annoyed about any delays.

Reaching the end goal of 80-90% uptake is going to be what achieves the end of COVID, not getting to 60%-70% in a rush and then getting stuck trying to deal with a bunch of people who think vaccines give you better 5G reception.

The anti-vaxxer issue was always going to be a bigger barrier in certain countries than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I wouldn't say it was emotional, but it felt special as I got my first shot of Pfizer today.

I've been on Boards a long time, and sometimes you do get the occasional special threads. The world is such a complex place that sometimes we underestimate the value of having a group of smart people, from multiple backgrounds, who have the ability to interpret data and share their opinions in a bit of an inter-disciplinary melting pot. I suspect there have been some proper experts hiding on this thread, but even those of us who aren't have some ability to find data, decide whether the data is relevant, read reports, absorb the input from multiple experts and distill the opinions of these experts into streams of most likely and least likely outcomes, and also identify risks to those outcomes. Those are skills which can be applied to a lot of complex subjects. We won't always be correct, but even the "wrong" answers are helpful as there has almost always been someone who could challenge an incorrect assumption or a risk that hasn't been considered :)

I think we knew from an early stage that there were some new technologies which even though unproven had amazing potential. We could see the animal model results, the phase 1s (with excitement really building), then the anecdotal feedback from doctors monitoring the phase 2 and 3 trials, the stunning first phase 3 results, and then ran the gauntlet (and worry) of the terrible media reporting of mink-gate and variant-gate. I remember us all assuming AstraZeneca would be the front-runner, and watching Pfizer doing an amazing job of coming from behind to becoming the dominant vaccine. I've had a crash-course in identifying who the charlatans are when it comes to virology and medical science, and who the media experts are who have been both the best informed and the most realistic (for me Luke O'Neill in Ireland & Gottlieb overseas).

I posted this back in January at what I think was the darkest point for all of us, largely based on what I was reading in this thread, and you know I don't think it was too far out. That belief that we were on an exit path was hugely personally important to my own resilience to get through this, particularly at difficult times:   https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=116062569

So while it's not over yet and I know lots of you are still waiting to get vaccinated, for me personally this thread has kept me variously informed, entertained, challenged and above all else given me a sense of realistic optimism that we will be able to get out of this. I have no worries at all about variants, once I get my second shot. Thank you all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

hmmm wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it was emotional, but it felt special as I got my first shot of Pfizer today.

I've been on Boards a long time, and sometimes you do get the occasional special threads. The world is such a complex place that sometimes we underestimate the value of having a group of smart people, from multiple backgrounds, who have the ability to interpret data and share their opinions in a bit of an inter-disciplinary melting pot. I suspect there have been some proper experts hiding on this thread, but even those of us who aren't have some ability to find data, decide whether the data is relevant, read reports, absorb the input from multiple experts and distill the opinions of these experts into streams of most likely and least likely outcomes, and also identify risks to those outcomes. Those are skills which can be applied to a lot of complex subjects. We won't always be correct, but even the "wrong" answers are helpful as there has almost always been someone who could challenge an incorrect assumption or a risk that hasn't been considered :)

I think we knew from an early stage that there were some amazing new technologies which even though unproven had amazing potential. We could see the animal model results, the phase 1s (with excitement really building), then the anecdotal feedback from doctors monitoring the phase 2 and 3 trials, the amazing first phase 3 results, and then ran the gauntlet (and worry) of the terrible media reporting of mink-gate and variant-gate. I remember us all assuming AstraZeneca would be the front-runner, and watching Pfizer doing an amazing job of coming from behind to becoming the dominant vaccine. I've had a crash-course in identifying who the charlatans are when it comes to virology and medical science, and who the media experts are who have been both the best informed and the most realistic (for me Luke O'Neill in Ireland & Gottlieb overseas).

I posted this back in January at what I think was the darkest point for all of us, largely based on what I was reading in this thread, and you know I don't think it was too far out. That belief that we were on an exit path was hugely personally important to my own resilience to get through this, particularly at difficult times: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=116062569

So while it's not over yet and I know lots of you are still waiting to get vaccinated, for me personally this thread has kept me variously informed, entertained, challenged and above all else given me a sense of realistic optimism that we will be able to get out of this. I have no worries at all about variants, once I get my second shot. Thank you all :)
    I wouldn't say it was emotional, but it felt special as I got my first shot of Pfizer today read that post.
    Fair play, you've remained steadfastly postive throughout all of this, and I completely agree with everything you've outlined above. Delighted to hear you've got the vaccine. Better times are ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I got my second jab this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

I got my 2nd vaccination also today, again a great set up in CIT Cork, very efficient and I met a very friendly vaccinator.
    Was busier there today that 4 weeks ago so may have had more vaccinators on site .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭Russman

I've been on Boards a long time, and sometimes you do get the occasional special threads. The world is such a complex place that sometimes we underestimate the value of having a group of smart people, from multiple backgrounds, who have the ability to interpret data and share their opinions in a bit of an inter-disciplinary melting pot. I suspect there have been some proper experts hiding on this thread, but even those of us who aren't have some ability to find data, decide whether the data is relevant, read reports, absorb the input from multiple experts and distill the opinions of these experts into streams of most likely and least likely outcomes, and also identify risks to those outcomes. Those are skills which can be applied to a lot of complex subjects. We won't always be correct, but even the "wrong" answers are helpful as there has almost always been someone who could challenge an incorrect assumption or a risk that hasn't been considered :)

I think we knew from an early stage that there were some new technologies which even though unproven had amazing potential. We could see the animal model results, the phase 1s (with excitement really building), then the anecdotal feedback from doctors monitoring the phase 2 and 3 trials, the stunning first phase 3 results, and then ran the gauntlet (and worry) of the terrible media reporting of mink-gate and variant-gate. I remember us all assuming AstraZeneca would be the front-runner, and watching Pfizer doing an amazing job of coming from behind to becoming the dominant vaccine. I've had a crash-course in identifying who the charlatans are when it comes to virology and medical science, and who the media experts are who have been both the best informed and the most realistic (for me Luke O'Neill in Ireland & Gottlieb overseas).

I posted this back in January at what I think was the darkest point for all of us, largely based on what I was reading in this thread, and you know I don't think it was too far out. That belief that we were on an exit path was hugely personally important to my own resilience to get through this, particularly at difficult times:   https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=116062569

Well said. I had my first shot on Thursday and your post sums up my feelings exactly. The vaccine threads have been so informative, interesting and reassuring since this began, and a beacon of light and hope in the covid forum compared to the hysterics on some other threads. I think I just misspelt horsesh1t !! :D:D
    Joking aside, a huge thank you to everyone on here for helping this layperson gain some rudimentary understanding of it all. As you say it’s not over and there’s a way to go, but we’re definitely closer to the end than the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Will I be protected by law if my boss refuses to get himself vaccinated?
    It should work like on airplanes in my view. Do your part to protect us all or stay at home..

...or it'll be legal to expose everyone and their families to extra risk every day in the office because you just "don't believe in" the vaccines?

xboxdad wrote: »
    Will I be protected by law if my boss refuses to get himself vaccinated?
    It should work like on airplanes in my view. Do your part to protect us all or stay at home..

...or it'll be legal to expose everyone and their families to extra risk every day in the office because you just "don't believe in" the vaccines?
    If you're vaccinated , you are not at risk of serious illness or worse so why should you care? Some will not or cannot get vaccinated and the 80% odd of us who will be, will ensure that it is at such a low level as not to be any great risk. What law are you thinking of here BTW?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,920 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Registered 3 weeks ago this coming Wednesday.

Have been checking the portal daily.

Nothing yet.

everlast75 wrote: »

Nothing yet.
    From posters here and real life anecdotes it seems that those waiting 3 weeks get done once they hit that limit. There seems to be an element of Eircodes, local demographics and supply involved for some. If you haven't put a call into the helpline, you should.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Nothing yet.

Age?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,920 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Age?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

That Wednesday was for 49 year olds, so you’d technically have been 2 weeks yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Great post.

I feel the same, and I got my first Pfizer yesterday too. It was a superbly well organised process, and a shout out to all the workers, including the army lads from Collins' Barracks (I was in Pairc Ui Chaoimh), who were marshalling and vaccinating in great numbers.

The last year or so highlighted to me, as if I didn't know it anyway, that a place remains for forum based online discussion.

Social media in general has become an uninformed cesspit, where contrary opinion is swiftly followed by illiterate abuse. It brings out the collective worst in people.

For all the toing and froing here, on this topic alone, there has been a high degree of insightful as opposed to inciteful commentary, and also a sense of shared and collective learning. I know I am certainly the wiser for it.

As well as that, and as you touch upon in your own excellent contribution, reasoned and balanced opinion here has served as a great reassurance to people, who may have otherwise fallen victim to the hysteria of the Facebook nans and others who regurgitate every bit of nonsense they can find.

Boards and its members have played a blinder throughout all this, and have given me a new appreciation for this place, which I had somewhat lost over the years.

Advertisement