Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Maryanne40 wrote: »
    I was the same. No reaction at all after the first Pfizer jab but had my second one on Thursday just gone and had quite an unpleasant Friday. Really sore arm, dull headache all day and complete exhaustion. No fever though. Back to normal today, apart from my arm which is still quite sore...I can live with that though. Like yourself, I'm happy to see a reaction in one way, as it seems to prove the immune system is working....(I think!)

Yeah all good today thankfully - onwards and upwards once we hit the two week barrier!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

hmmm wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it was emotional, but it felt special as I got my first shot of Pfizer today.

I've been on Boards a long time, and sometimes you do get the occasional special threads. The world is such a complex place that sometimes we underestimate the value of having a group of smart people, from multiple backgrounds, who have the ability to interpret data and share their opinions in a bit of an inter-disciplinary melting pot. I suspect there have been some proper experts hiding on this thread, but even those of us who aren't have some ability to find data, decide whether the data is relevant, read reports, absorb the input from multiple experts and distill the opinions of these experts into streams of most likely and least likely outcomes, and also identify risks to those outcomes. Those are skills which can be applied to a lot of complex subjects. We won't always be correct, but even the "wrong" answers are helpful as there has almost always been someone who could challenge an incorrect assumption or a risk that hasn't been considered :)

I think we knew from an early stage that there were some new technologies which even though unproven had amazing potential. We could see the animal model results, the phase 1s (with excitement really building), then the anecdotal feedback from doctors monitoring the phase 2 and 3 trials, the stunning first phase 3 results, and then ran the gauntlet (and worry) of the terrible media reporting of mink-gate and variant-gate. I remember us all assuming AstraZeneca would be the front-runner, and watching Pfizer doing an amazing job of coming from behind to becoming the dominant vaccine. I've had a crash-course in identifying who the charlatans are when it comes to virology and medical science, and who the media experts are who have been both the best informed and the most realistic (for me Luke O'Neill in Ireland & Gottlieb overseas).

I posted this back in January at what I think was the darkest point for all of us, largely based on what I was reading in this thread, and you know I don't think it was too far out. That belief that we were on an exit path was hugely personally important to my own resilience to get through this, particularly at difficult times:   https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=116062569

So while it's not over yet and I know lots of you are still waiting to get vaccinated, for me personally this thread has kept me variously informed, entertained, challenged and above all else given me a sense of realistic optimism that we will be able to get out of this. I have no worries at all about variants, once I get my second shot. Thank you all :)

Lovely lovely post and you have it bang on.

So happy to hear you got a vaccine.

We're getting there. Thanks for your posts here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Seems we've hit the three million mark in doses. Well done to all concerned (including the recipients), it's been a fantastic effort

https://twitter.com/fiannafailparty/status/1401515712238305284

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭JPup

Great news! Hopefully we can hit 4m before the end of the month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Should be very attainable, are we still doing around 320k a week?

Really hope they are able to get the vaccine dashboard back this week.

• Advertisement

What’s the link to check the status of vaccine registration? Can only find link for new registration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,053 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

What’s the link to check the status of vaccine registration? Can only find link for new registration

https://vaccine3.hse.ie/s/login/

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

everlast75 wrote: »
    Registered 3 weeks ago this coming Wednesday.

Have been checking the portal daily.

Nothing yet.

I was two weeks getting an appointment, I called the HSE and they said wait 3 weeks and if no appointment text arrives then contact the HSE helpline.

It depends on the test centre is my guess. A straw pole of my friends showed the Aviva was about two weeks ahead of Croke Park.

Thanks. Not my finest moment. Was already on that page and completely missed the “already have an account link at the bottom”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Thanks. Not my finest moment. Was already on that page and completely missed the “already have an account link at the bottom”

Not just you , loads of people missed it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

The Daily Mail claim to have got hold of the plans in the UK for the Autumn booster programme here:

- Mix and match approach. People will be recommended to get their third shoot via a different brand of vaccine. But more data needed to ensure there is no side effects to this approach.
    - Boosters will be given at the same time as to winter flu vaccine.
    - Boosters will follow same age prioritisations.
    - Plans are also advancing for the vaccination of 12-15 year olds subject to further approvals. The Times have said that there is pressure to ensure that the vaccinations of 12-15 year olds in Scotland are completed before schools reopen.

Looks like the UK will be proceeding with an Autumn booster programme even if many experts say there is little evidence to suggest significant waning occurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

JTMan wrote: »
    The Daily Mail claim to have got hold of the plans in the UK for the Autumn booster programme here:

- Mix and match approach. People will be recommended to get their third shoot via a different brand of vaccine. But more data needed to ensure there is no side effects to this approach.
    - Boosters will be given at the same time as to winter flu vaccine.
    - Boosters will follow same age prioritisations.
    - Plans are also advancing for the vaccination of 12-15 year olds subject to further approvals. The Times have said that there is pressure to ensure that the vaccinations of 12-15 year olds in Scotland are completed before schools reopen.

Looks like the UK will be proceeding with an Autumn booster programme even if many experts say there is little evidence to suggest significant waning occurs.
    It's just a plan and it's to show they are finally in control. Schools will be back in about 8 weeks over there so that seems an unlikely action.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

JTMan wrote: »

Better to plan to be safe than sorry. They can always pull the boosters down the road if they are not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Is the booster for all age groups, or just vulnerable?

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Is the booster for all age groups, or just vulnerable?

It appears to be for the entire population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

So what are folks thinking will be the timing for opening the 35-39 age bracket. Monday 14th June?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

Unless data shows that a varient is not well covered by the vaccine I have, I will not be taking a booster. I'm not anti vax and I have my 2 doses but I don't see the need for a booster unless things go drastically downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭JPup

Unless data shows that a varient is not well covered by the vaccine I have, I will not be taking a booster. I'm not anti vax and I have my 2 doses but I don't see the need for a booster unless things go drastically downhill.

Yeah I agree. I thought the point of the boosters was for when they had tweaked or improved the vaccines in future to better attack new variants. Why give people 3 doses of the current generation of vaccines? Especially when so many people in other parts of the world are still waiting on a first dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭deeperlearning

The majority in the UK have has the AstraZeneca vaccine. A small South African study found that two dosed AZ vaccine had minimal (approx 10%) effectiveness against the beta (B.1.351/South African) variant. The UK are planning a booster campaign targeting the beta (B.1.351/South African) variant in the Autumn.

I think we are also likely to offer a Pfizer booster in Autumn to those who have had AstraZeneca vaccine. The EU signed a contract with Pfizer to secure 1.8 billion additional doses of the of the current vaccine and of a vaccine adapted to variants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

So what are folks thinking will be the timing for opening the 35-39 age bracket. Monday 14th June?

I came to ask the same question. I don't think it will be Monday. Going by other older age groups, I think registration opened on a Wednesday, I could be wrong though.

It's either opening Wednesday 9th or Wednesday 16th. My guess is Wednesday 9th because I said this somewhere else, they have to look as if they are going down in age quickly, so I don't them waiting until the 16th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Polar101

I think we are also likely to offer a Pfizer booster in Autumn to those who have had AstraZeneca vaccine. The EU signed a contract with Pfizer to secure 1.8 billion additional doses of the of the current vaccine and of a vaccine adapted to variants.

My mother (who doesn't live in Ireland) had her 2nd jab of AZ on Friday, she had a choice of getting a 2nd AZ jab or "switching over" to a MRNA vaccine. So some EU countries seem to be doing that already.

She got AZ, because she didn't think a vaccine cocktail sounded good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Polar101

It's either opening Wednesday 9th or Wednesday 16th. My guess is Wednesday 9th because I said this somewhere else, they have to look as if they are going down in age quickly, so I don't them waiting until the 16th.

It might slow down a bit, because around that time all the 45-49's will be getting 2nd jabs, so unless the supply increases more of the supply will go to 2nd jabs. Ideally there wouldn't be a big delay between registration and appointment, now some people are already waiting 2-3 (or more) weeks.

The majority in the UK have has the AstraZeneca vaccine. A small South African study found that two dosed AZ vaccine had minimal (approx 10%) effectiveness against the beta (B.1.351/South African) variant. The UK are planning a booster campaign targeting the beta (B.1.351/South African) variant in the Autumn.

But the SA variant is not the dominant one in Britain is it? I thought it was either the Indian or UK variant?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Strazdas wrote: »
    But the SA variant is not the dominant one in Britain is it? I thought it was either the Indian or UK variant?

It's a weird one. AZ is still effective vs the Indian strain, but (I know the results are really questionable) less so vs the SA variant. There could be a train of thinking that is Covid mutates along the SA lineage, a booster based on the SA variant could be effective.

I'm curious how AZ can start using manufacturing facilities in the EU contract to produce a booster shot while still failing to deliver the EU contract for initial doses.
    Assuming the UK are using AZ for boosters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Strazdas wrote: »

The more evasive will become the most dominant in theory, so once enough 2nd doses are given to keep the lid of the indian variant, the SA one will possibly become the most evasive again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,288 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Ffs are we really bringing back up that SA study again that was discussed plenty here over the last few months along with its many flaws

Ffs are we really bringing back up that SA study again that was discussed plenty here over the last few months along with its many flaws

I'm almost certain the AZ study vs the Indian strain which reported ~60% efficacy after a second dose will be increased upwards as more data comes in with second doses of AZ over time.
    The SA study would probably have went the same way, but they took it as 10% efficacy and moved on, yet it's still been dragged up as a final figure.

If only the real world studies followed the same routine as phase 3 trials, keep going until X number of positive cases are recorded in a vaccinated and placebo group etc... There's far too much knee jerk reactions regarding variants.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,288 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Wolf359f wrote: »
    I'm almost certain the AZ study vs the Indian strain which reported ~60% efficacy after a second dose will be increased upwards as more data comes in with second doses of AZ over time.
    The SA study would probably have went the same way, but they took it as 10% efficacy and moved on, yet it's still been dragged up as a final figure.

If only the real world studies followed the same routine as phase 3 trials, keep going until X number of positive cases are recorded in a vaccinated and placebo group etc... There's far too much knee jerk reactions regarding variants.

For sure.

That's my issue that the 10% SA figure is as you say still being dragged up, despite the multiple holes it had.

Agree with regards to AZ & Indian variant, longer time frame needed to really understand efficacy

For sure.

That's my issue that the 10% SA figure is as you say still being dragged up, despite the multiple holes it had.

Agree with regards to AZ & Indian variant, longer time frame needed to really understand efficacy

As I said before, the 2nd dose vaccine vs the Indian variant in the PHE study actually had a 10x higher mortality figure in fully vaccinated vs unvaccinated.
    So if people are treating that study as gospel, why are they not worried the vaccines are causing the Indian variant to be more lethal in fully vaccinated people? It's ripe data for anti-vaxxers!

Of course when you use common sense and see the figures for fully vaccinated is tiny so a single death skews the figures massively and the fact the majority of those people would have been elderly etc... it makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

Wolf359f wrote: »
    As I said before, the 2nd dose vaccine vs the Indian variant in the PHE study actually had a 10x higher mortality figure in fully vaccinated vs unvaccinated.
    So if people are treating that study as gospel, why are they not worried the vaccines are causing the Indian variant to be more lethal in fully vaccinated people? It's ripe data for anti-vaxxers!

Of course when you use common sense and see the figures for fully vaccinated is tiny so a single death skews the figures massively and the fact the majority of those people would have been elderly etc... it makes sense.

Also AFAIK India is using Sinovac which seems to be about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike

Advertisement