Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I got my vaccine from my GP , do i still need to register on the portal to see records etc ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Tenger wrote: »
    The digital green certificate is adifferent thing and it's implementation has yet to announced.
    The EU have announced a formal launch date for the EU cert of 1st July. Countries have six weeks from then to bring it in.

We're looking at mid-July before we start handing them out, but I think a couple of countries are planning to begin issuing them before the end of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

:(

Confidential meeting of health ministers: vaccine hope Curevac will "not come before August"
    The expected vaccine deliveries from the German company Curevac are still a long time coming: At a meeting of the health ministers on Monday, it was said that approval would probably only come in August.

The reason for the difficulties is that clinical studies have not yet been completed for approval.

A year ago, the German federal government entered the company with 300 million euros. But with the former hope Curevac, the critical inquiries are increasing.

It all sounded like a success story: a year ago, the federal government invested around 300 million euros in the Tübingen-based company Curevac. Similar to the Mainz company Biontech, Curevac gave hope that the corona pandemic would end. Like Biontech and Moderna, Curevac is developing an mRNA vaccine that is also said to be effective against various mutations.

But as it looks, we will have to wait for Curevac. At a confidential meeting of the federal and state health ministers on Monday afternoon, health minister Jens Spahn (CDU) said, according to participants, that the European Medicines Agency (EMA) did not expect the Curevac drug to be approved “before August”. A few weeks ago it was said several times that Curevac was expecting approval in June.

Apparently, however, there are problems with a larger clinical trial that is crucial for approval, it said. So there are simply not enough participants. In addition, due to many requirements for shelf life, the studies started a little later than Biontech and Moderna and are now also struggling with the various mutations of the coronavirus, against which the agent is also supposed to protect. The first data are promising here.

But the obvious delays, no matter how well they can be justified, are causing impatience, especially among those politically responsible. Because the vaccine is still rare in Germany, with Curevac the vaccination campaign should finally be able to be shifted up a gear. A few months ago, Curevac wanted to be able to produce 300 million cans by the end of the year.

At the end of May, internal delivery forecasts by the federal government said that 1.4 million doses of Curevac would come by the end of June, 9.4 million by the end of September and 28.9 million in the last quarter.

In the updated forecasts from June , however, Curevac does not appear at all for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,180 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

seamus wrote: »
    The EU have announced a formal launch date for the EU cert of 1st July. Countries have six weeks from then to bring it in.

We're looking at mid-July before we start handing them out, but I think a couple of countries are planning to begin issuing them before the end of June.

I hope the EU make a better fist of it than last years tourist "green areas" which became a bit of a farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

eddie73 wrote: »
    I registered today, late 40s. How long can I expect to wait for 1st vaccine?

2 days wait. Appointment is Thursday. Moderna.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

eddie73 wrote: »
    2 days wait. Appointment is Thursday. Moderna.

Where are you located... or which MVC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

GP rang at short notice .
    Delighted to get it .
    Back this day 4 weeks

Heading away the day after for 3 night staycation in home county which I’m a bit worried about now in case I get a reaction to second jab .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Tenger wrote: »
    You literally get handed a HSE vaccination card after they inject the dose.

This is your proof of vaccination.
    The digital green certificate is adifferent thing and it's implementation has yet to announced.

It will be interesting to see how your data gets onto the EU digital green certificate. I assume there will be some sort of central vaccination database which links up the green cert system, perhaps by using PPS numbers and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭noplacehere

km79 wrote: »

GP rang at short notice .
    Delighted to get it .
    Back this day 4 weeks

Heading away the day after for 3 night staycation in home county which I’m a bit worried about now in case I get a reaction to second jab .....

Other half was under the weather on the first dose and not a bother on the second pfizer. Hopefully all goes well. Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Did people really expect it before August though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

I suspect CureVac won’t be playing much role in the EU vaccine programmes at this stage. They’ll be complete long before it’s rolled out.

I think at this stage we’re looking at the vaccines that might licence later this year playing a role in other parts of the world.

Unless there’s a need for mRNA boosters next year here, we might never see them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,380 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Strazdas wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see how your data gets onto the EU digital green certificate. I assume there will be some sort of central vaccination database which links up the green cert system, perhaps by using PPS numbers and the likes.

That’s all been identified already and the API’s and similar interfaces between the national and EU systems have been specc’d out. Each member state is required to capture the information necessary to interact with the communal lookup system. It is assumed that the unique identifier to be used by Ireland seems to be the PPSN as that is attached to each record which is uploaded by GPS etc and which we know is required for the MVC portal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,922 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

everlast75 wrote: »
    Just rang the helpline, to be advised that they can only look at the appointment issue 21 days after you register.

Might be a helpful bit of info for anyone here...

Got a text at lunchtime, Pfizer appointment this Friday.

Whether that was connected or not to the call today is unknown. Probably a coincidence, but delighted to get an appointment considering everyone I know, younger and older, are done.

I was beginning to think it was personal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

I suspect CureVac won’t be playing much role in the EU vaccine programmes at this stage. They’ll be complete long before it’s rolled out.

I think at this stage we’re looking at the vaccines that might licence later this year playing a role in other parts of the world.

Unless there’s a need for mRNA boosters next year here, we might never see them.

I suspect that CureVac will be used as a mRNA booster - Covid will adjust, as will we, but it may be for those who are most venerable, like a flu jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

Just had my 2nd Pfizer/BioNTech via my GP. In and out in 2 mins. Cohort 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Speedo.ie

I would warn people against registering over the phone, if they are experiencing problems doing the registration on the HSE website.

I attempted to do the registration online on morning of 20th May and there was a problem with the site not taking the eircode and I tried more than one eircode. As a result I ended up doing the registration over the phone.

Fast-forward to 1st June and I had not received any text with the appointment date, was getting slightly worried, as friend of mine that was one year older had received his appointment text 5 days earlier. So phoned HSE Vaccine number up on the afternoon of 1st June. I said I had not had any text with my appointment details and could I check my contact details (phone number and email address). Checked and confirmed that they were correct.

Fast forward again to Friday 4th June still no text. So having seen that there was people from my area 2 years younger than me getting appointment dates I phoned up again and this time asked had I being given an appointment date yet. To which I was told that I had being given an appointment date already of 1st June. Explained that I never received the text and asked for it to be re-scheduled and fortunately about 2 hours later received a text giving me an appointment for 7th June.

Couple of things to note, firstly whoever I spoke to on 1st June did not think to tell me that I had being given an appointment. Secondly because I had registered over the phone I could not see my appointment details on the HSE site as it seemed to think that I was trying to begin the registration process.

So to cut a long story short, from my experience, if you are having problems registering on the website, try again in a few hours rather than doing it over the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,204 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Based off the previous gaps are we likely to see 35-39 signups start next week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

VinLieger wrote: »

I'd guess a bit longer tbh, lots of AZ 2nd doses coming due alongside Last months Pfizer/Moderna ones. Maybe registration towards the end of next week would be my guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

Question, if I am fully vaxxed and my friend and her kids have covid, can I go visit them and help take care of the 2 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

Question, if I am fully vaxxed and my friend and her kids have covid, can I go visit them and help take care of the 2 of them.

That's a good question. I doubt it's recommended, but this is my understanding.
    If you're caring for someone with covid you should restrict your movement, see https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/self-isolation/caring-for-someone-who-cant-self-isolate.html
    (On the side, note that "restrict your movement" does not mean "quarantine", see https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/managing-coronavirus-at-home/self-isolating-and-restricting-movements-differences.html)

BUT if you're vaccinated and a close contact then you don't need to restrict your movement https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/testing/if-you-are-a-close-contact.html#vaccinated

So you still should probably exercise caution, but you can take care of them and you don't have to quarantine or restrict your movements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Interesting WSJ article here (paywall) on where things are at with the vaccination of children under 12.

- Moderna started a study of its vaccine in children under 12 years in March, and could have results in September or October.
    - Pfizer expects data for children between the ages of 5 and 11 in September and, if positive, could potentially submit for an authorization later that month.
    - Data for children from 2 to 5 years could arrive very soon after that.
    - For children between 6 months and 2 years, data could come in October or November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,792 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I don't think so as you would then be a close contact yourself and need to isolate, the tranmision rate is reduced but not eliminated and we still have a lot of people to get vaccinated and then wait for their immune system to respond.

edit: ignore muddypuppy posted the official line (but I would still be careful): https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/testing/if-you-are-a-close-contact.html#vaccinated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

JTMan wrote: »
    Interesting WSJ article here (paywall) on where things are at with the vaccination of children under 12.

- Moderna started a study of its vaccine in children under 12 years in March, and could have results in September or October.
    - Pfizer expects data for children between the ages of 5 and 11 in September and, if positive, could potentially submit for an authorization later that month.
    - Data for children from 2 to 5 years could arrive very soon after that.
    - For children between 6 months and 2 years, data could come in October or November.

Have our Government made any recent comments on Vaccinations for Age 12-15 ?
    I know Pfizer is EMA approved for that Group but everything I read still talks about Age 18+ in Ireland even though EMA approval was always 16+ and more recently 12+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

VinLieger wrote: »

News stories today saying "within a week"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Have our Government made any recent comments on Vaccinations for Age 12-15 ?
    I know Pfizer is EMA approved for that Group but everything I read still talks about Age 18+ in Ireland even though EMA approval was always 16+ and more recently 12+.
    As has been suggested before it'll probably be done in schools. We'll do very well get two doses into all over 18s by the end of September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭Apogee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Got second shot at CityWest this morning. Great to get it. It wasn't as quick as the 1st one there though (that was brilliant)

Don't know what the difference was caused by so this is just a heads up for people going for their 2nd, it may not be as quick as the 1st one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I don’t understand how some GPs are vaccinating healthy 20+ year olds ? Did they get way too many doses or completely over estimated what they needed or how is it happening ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I don’t understand how some GPs are vaccinating healthy 20+ year olds ? Did they get way too many doses or completely over estimated what they needed or how is it happening ?

No shows and cancellations in my experience

My GP had a reserve list from the outset, oh got a call with a few hours notice to go in due to a cancellation

While he was there someone strolled in 2 hours late for their appointment and was told it had been reallocated

GPs have been told they can use reserve lists for any ages so they are not doing anything against guidelines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭blackcard

Apogee wrote: »

Based on that, you would say that our overall dose rate was 82 yet when you look at statistics for Europe, it shows us lagging at 46. Malta is showing at 124, Germany 64, UK 100

Advertisement