Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Cork2021

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I don’t understand how some GPs are vaccinating healthy 20+ year olds ? Did they get way too many doses or completely over estimated what they needed or how is it happening ?

Had an issue like that with a work colleague last week!
    Smokes like a trooper tobacco and hash only 23 years old and got his first dose last week because he had asthma when he was younger. Basically his mother badgered the GP!
    He didn’t give two fûcks! Pissed a lot of people off to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Had an issue like that with a work colleague last week!
    Smokes like a trooper tobacco and hash only 23 years old and got his first dose last week because he had asthma when he was younger. Basically his mother badgered the GP!
    He didn’t give two fûcks! Pissed a lot of people off to be honest.

I see posts from healthy 20-30 year old getting vaccinated by GP . I don’t understand it to be honest . Are some GPs taking the piss and ordering more than thry need ?
    Its galing when many Cohort 7 are still waiting for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭VG31

As someone in my early 20s, do I have any chance of getting my first dose by the end of July?

Stheno wrote: »
    No shows and cancellations in my experience

My GP had a reserve list from the outset, oh got a call with a few hours notice to go in due to a cancellation

While he was there someone strolled in 2 hours late for their appointment and was told it had been reallocated

GPs have been told they can use reserve lists for any ages so they are not doing anything against guidelines

Fair enough but very annoying when other GPs are not even vaccinating their cohort 7 patients

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭VG31

blackcard wrote: »
    Based on that, you would say that our overall dose rate was 82 yet when you look at statistics for Europe, it shows us lagging at 46. Malta is showing at 124, Germany 64, UK 100

I would imagine that gap is becuase of the lack of vaccine figures for the last few weeks due to the cyber attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Based on that, you would say that our overall dose rate was 82 yet when you look at statistics for Europe, it shows us lagging at 46. Malta is showing at 124, Germany 64, UK 100

56%/26% is of adults. The other figures you quote are of the total population.

We just past 3m doses. We have under 5m people thus we are over 60 doses per 100 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Cork2021

I see posts from healthy 20-30 year old getting vaccinated by GP . I don’t understand it to be honest . Are some GPs taking the piss and ordering more than thry need ?
    Its galing when many Cohort 7 are still waiting for it

Na it’s who you know i reckon. Know a few that have gotten both doses and perfectly healthy early 30’s.
    Owner of our business 42 no health conditions is fully vaccinated, his GP rang him saying he had “spare doses” at 10am in the morning but was notified on the Friday before........

This was early may

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

The 82 you refer to would be based on adult population. The figures quoted for Germany etc... Is total population.
    We'd be at about 61 when it's adjusted to total population.

The 46 was prior to the HSE hack. Hasn't been updated since.

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Na it’s who you know i reckon. Know a few that have gotten both doses and perfectly healthy early 30’s.
    Owner of our business 42 no health conditions is fully vaccinated, his GP rang him saying he had “spare doses” at 10am in the morning but was notified on the Friday before........

This was early may

Certainly it’s happening in some GP practices . It was bound to happen and I don’t even know why I am surprised

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Fair enough but very annoying when other GPs are not even vaccinating their cohort 7 patients

Its cohort 7 cancelling or not turning up in my GPs

• Advertisement

Its cohort 7 cancelling or not turning up in my GPs

Some of them are already vaccinated in MVCs via hospital consultants
    My own daughter had to cancel the GP as she already had a dose referred by the consultant .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

VG31 wrote: »
    As someone in my early 20s, do I have any chance of getting my first dose by the end of July?

Yes....I would say we will be very close to vaccinating the early 20s by that point, or actually doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Got 1st Pfizer jab today in PUC Cork. In and out in 40mins well run. Arm feels a little dead but nothing serious otherwise. All good so far.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Some of them are already vaccinated in MVCs via hospital consultants
    My own daughter had to cancel the GP as she already had a dose referred by the consultant .

So I'm not seeing your problem then? If GPS are having cohort 7 cancel/not turn up and use their reserve lists not to waste vaccines, what's the issue?

My own GP has an oine booking system that incites people to book at least ten days in advance so there will be cancellations if people are referred via another route

Or is your issue that cohort 7 are not being dealt with uniformly?

Thats an entirely separate issue tbh

Whinging bout GPs using reserve lists etc is irrelevant in that regard tbh

So I'm not seeing your problem then? If GPS are having cohort 7 cancel/not turn up and use their reserve lists not to waste vaccines, what's the issue?

My own GP has an oine booking system that incites people to book at least ten days in advance so there will be cancellations if people are referred via another route

Or is your issue that cohort 7 are not being dealt with uniformly?

Thats an entirely separate issue tbh

Whinging bout GPs using reserve lists etc is irrelevant in that regard tbh

Yes the lack of uniformity in vaccinating Cohort 7 is incredibly upsetting for many in that group and I feel for them
    Let down by some GPs who abandoned them and by the HSE who had no plan B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,777 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

They seem to be flying with the programme at present.

OH and a couple of in-laws, all in their early to mid 40s, registered late last week/over weekend, and are getting jabs at end of this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭tigger123

Apologies if this has been posted already; myself and my other half are living in Dublin; and she just got her vaccine appointment for Waterford at 09.30 in the morning ...?

Has this happened to anyone else?

She rang the HSE and was told that your appointment is your appointment. You can get a new one, but it will prbably just be Waterford again...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭eoinbn

VG31 wrote: »

Early August would be my bet for people in their early 20s. July will likely be slower than June for first doses as we will have a lot of second doses to give in July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

tigger123 wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been posted already; myself and my other half are living in Dublin; and she just got her vaccine appointment for Waterford at 09.30 in the morning ...?

Has this happened to anyone else?

She rang the HSE and was told that your appointment is your appointment. You can get a new one, but it will prbably just be Waterford again...?

Is she using her Dublin eircode?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭tigger123

JPA wrote: »
    Is she using her Dublin eircode?

Yep. When she rand the HSE she said there's a lot of people being sent to Waterford for some reason.

• Advertisement

Yes the lack of uniformity in vaccinating Cohort 7 is incredibly upsetting for many in that group and I feel for them
    Let down by some GPs who abandoned them and by the HSE who had no plan B

But you can't be blaming GPs like my own who are ploughing through vaccines and using every resource they can to ensure there is no waste

There are three GPs in my practice. On vaccine days two of them supervise nurses doing the vaccinations and they get through 24 people an hour x 7 hours so 168 people per day

If even 10% cancel thats almost 17 doses wasted and they have two vaccine days a week so 34

Multiple that by 100 practices and thats 3.4k doses a week going to waste

But you can't be blaming GPs like my own who are ploughing through vaccines and using every resource they can to ensure there is no waste

There are three GPs in my practice. On vaccine days two of them supervise nurses doing the vaccinations and they get through 24 people an hour x 7 hours so 168 people per day

If even 10% cancel thats almost 17 doses wasted and they have two vaccine days a week so 34

At no stage did I blame or questioned all GPs
    I didn’t blame your GP i dont know anything about him or her ?
    My own GP was amazing too , some are not and it was them I was posting about

There is absolutely no doubt that SOME GPs have been vaccinating some people who would not be yet entitled too it
    I personally know of 2 GPs who did

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

You can blame GPS though if they are knowingly ordering too much. We’ll never know if that’s the case though, one case of a fit healthy 20 year old getting it is just anecdotal.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Toodles_27

tigger123 wrote: »
    Yep. When she rand the HSE she said there's a lot of people being sent to Waterford for some reason.

Same issue just posted on the Limerick board. Someone living in Limerick city being sent to Waterford??

Surely that can’t be logistically correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Probably been asked already but how long do you need to wait before getting notification of appointment for dose 2. I'm vaccinated 2 and a half weeks now and was told my GP would be on to me (im cohort 7). I should be getting it in about 8/9 days based on the 28 days between doses but heard nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

Anyone in Louth get a text or app recently- wondering where they are now at age wise? 41 and heading away tomorrow till Sunday and hoping I won’t be scheduled before I’m back. Would love to put my phone away for a few days too …they were really far behind so I’m assuming I’m a good week off

At no stage did I blame or questioned all GPs
    I didn’t blame your GP i dont know anything about him or her ?
    My own GP was amazing too , some are not and it was them I was posting about

There is absolutely no doubt that SOME GPs have been vaccinating some people who would not be yet entitled too it
    I personally know of 2 GPs who did

I think in the grand scheme of things that there is way too much focus on some things to be honest

The HSE have ****ed up here as usual, that's the long and short of it

I've a family member with a BMI of 35+ who got scheduled for vaccination despite no underlying conditions.

It's a monumental failure by the HSE and their record keeping that this **** up has occured

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    You can blame GPS though if they are knowingly ordering too much. We’ll never know if that’s the case though, one case of a fit healthy 20 year old getting it is just anecdotal.

Going by my own practice, they are ordering doses for the relevant cohort and then addressing cancellations and no shows tbh

But that's anecdoctal too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

I think in the grand scheme of things that there is way too much focus on some things to be honest

I've a family member with a BMI of 35+ who got scheduled for vaccination despite no underlying conditions.

It's a monumental failure by the HSE and their record keeping that this **** up has occured

There has been an almighty **** up and they have been saved by an IT failure. To think that we had a major scandal over a few vaccines to teachers and yet they are getting away with this. Anyway….

• Advertisement

The HSE absolutely f... up on the high risk groups . I hope the media pick up on it at some stage .

Advertisement