Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mossie

How long have people been waiting for second Pfizer? My 28 days is up on Monday and just wondering what the general experience is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Any word on Carlow is progressing, What age are they doing now?
    Be a while for myself, just curious

• Registered Users Posts: 15,289 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

mossie wrote: »
    How long have people been waiting for second Pfizer? My 28 days is up on Monday and just wondering what the general experience is.

Mother got her 1st dose on Saturday 15th, getting 2nd dose this Saturday 12th.

Uncle got his 2nd yesterday bang on time as well.

Haven't heard of any issues so far with dose 2.

Mother got her 1st dose on Saturday 15th, getting 2nd dose this Saturday 12th.

Uncle got his 2nd yesterday bang on time as well.

Haven't heard of any issues so far with dose 2.

How far in advance did they get texted for those? Was it something like 48 to 72 hrs? Or was it longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,289 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

How far in advance did they get texted for those? Was it something like 48 to 72 hrs? Or was it longer?

The uncle only got 1 days notice for 2nd dose. Mother got 1 day notice for her first dose but plenty notice for 2nd dose, got the text earlier in the week. Hit and miss really but both knew what day the 2nd was due so was just a waiting game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I’m 43 female and I got the first Pfizer vaccine yesterday. Delighted to get it at last as I was very sick with Covid in March 2020.

I’m in bed now with temp of 38.6…. Chills, weak and pain out my back like a uti…

Hope it won’t last too long.

Husband hasn’t had a reaction at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Has anyone seen that the vaccines stats include those done by GPs since the cyber attack?
    Seen conflicting comments but not clear confirmation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Other half got the AZ first dose 13 weeks ago and has had no contact from anyone. Got it through work with the HSE. Anyone any idea what’s the story with her second dose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    Other half got the AZ first dose 13 weeks ago and has had no contact from anyone. Got it through work with the HSE. Anyone any idea what’s the story with her second dose?
    They are doing them now. From people I know, it just appeared and about that 13-14 weeks. At the mercy of supplies with AZ as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

MM seemed to indicate on Newstalk this morning that AZ would also have some very large deliveries last 2 weeks. Looks like a repeat of the end of Q1 for AZ when they tried to claw back some of the decreases in the last week or two

Belgium are expecting 640000 AZ doses on 21 June. That would be about 275000 for us. Is this more than we would use for second doses? Not sure what we will we do with the leftovers

https://mobile.twitter.com/jorisvaesen/status/1401145054626975746/photo/1

• Advertisement

Belgium are expecting 640000 AZ doses on 21 June. That would be about 275000 for us. Is this more than we would use for second doses? Not sure what we will we do with the leftovers

We'll very likely donate any extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

is_that_so wrote: »
    We'll very likely donate any extras.

Yeah maybe although I wonder could they make it available in pharmacies and people can get it if they want it, or wait for MRNA if they prefer. I think this is consistent with NIAC advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

They are doing them now. From people I know, it just appeared and about that 13-14 weeks. At the mercy of supplies with AZ as usual.

Thanks. She’s early 30s and sceptical about getting a second dose of AZ since theyre no longer using it for that age cohort (I think?). Talking about no getting a second dose or getting another vaccine.

Is there any data for mixing vaccines? Or what can I say to ease her fears!

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

It was always going to be the case that the UK and EU gap would close due to the EU ramping up to very high speed. We were saying this months ago. There were initial delays, but the resources were thown at the challenges and once things got going, it's been full steam ahead, with enormous ability to produce what's needed.

The fact that the irish rollout is more mRNA vaccine focused, and is sticking to the 4 weeks between doses means we will likely see that gap close faster too.

The UK is also now at the laggards / trying to convince the reluctant stage and the US is even more mired in that.

If both the UK and Ireland get good rates of uptake this is a huge benefit to both jurisdictions, as we share a common travel area and have open borders.

It's is a marathon, not a sprint though. What will ultimately matter is reaching very high % uptake and we seem to be on course to do that. So does the UK.

A lot of countries are going to struggle to get to 80%+ uptake because of attitudes, not supply issues but it looks like we may not be one of them.

The reality is we are in one of the places that has the best access to vaccines in the world and also to very high quality vaccines and infrastructure to deliver them and we had the luxury of being able to afford to and be able to take measures to control spread too. Many, many places neither have those kinds of public health, financial or social resources.

We've also had relative calm, chilled out and cooperative approaches to this too. Society didn't collapse. People didn't end up rioting. It was stressful but we've managed it. Don't underestimate Ireland's cohesiveness and resilience in a crisis.

All in all, as bad as covid is, we have been one of the better places to be, as have many of our neighbours in Europe.

Yeah maybe although I wonder could they make it available in pharmacies and people can get it if they want it, or wait for MRNA if they prefer. I think this is consistent with NIAC advice.
    Perhaps but you get the impression HSE don't want to deal with AZ any longer than required. At over 3m doses distributed it seems likely it'll have a very small role from now on. J&J too looks just about finished after this month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

50-70 year olds will need a second dose plus many HCWs too I presume ?

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    50-70 year olds will need a second dose plus many HCWs too I presume ?
    Yeah, over 60s and the very large Group 2. Not sure if any of 50-59 got AZ.

I am hoping I get my second dose before the 12 weeks . Fingers crossed

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Its gone down to 8 weeks has it not?

Neighbour waiting too.

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Its gone down to 8 weeks has it not?

Its going down in increments . They wont manage to get everyone done within the 8 weeks . Starting at 12 then 11 then 10 etc

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Its going down in increments . They wont manage to get everyone done within the 8 weeks . Starting at 12 then 11 then 10 etc
    Ah did not know that

Hopefully you get it asap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

I read it’s between 400k-500k second doses needed. They seem to be hitting HCWs now then there is the Group 4/7 that got it, followed by the 50+ groups.

Stheno wrote: »
    Ah did not know that

Hopefully you get it asap

Just glad to have one anyway !! But I understand the 60-70 being a bit impatient as they see way younger people get a second dose before them . That’s the way the cookie crumbled so I just accept it

Just glad to have one anyway !! But I understand the 60-70 being a bit impatient as they see way younger people get a second dose before them . That’s the way the cookie crumbled so I just accept it

I think if they bring it back to 8 weeks it will bring a greater parity

One of my friends got jansen and is done next week

ddarcy wrote: »
    I read it’s between 400k-500k second doses needed. They seem to be hitting HCWs now then there is the Group 4/7 that got it, followed by the 50+ groups.

4 and 7 mainly got Pfizer via GPs or in MVCs

ddarcy wrote: »
    I don't think the 50-59s have been done with it. For them it seems to be J&J or mRNA vaccines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Polar101

Lisha wrote: »
    I’m 43 female and I got the first Pfizer vaccine yesterday. Delighted to get it at last as I was very sick with Covid in March 2020.

I’m in bed now with temp of 38.6…. Chills, weak and pain out my back like a uti…

Hope it won’t last too long.

Husband hasn’t had a reaction at all.

Hopefully it will pass soon!

I didn't get a fever, but was pretty sick on the second day (which was yesterday) - spent most of the day in bed and had to take some paracetamol because I got a bad headache. But today I'm feeling back to normal. So at least the side effects didn't last very long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

4 and 7 mainly got Pfizer via GPs or in MVCs

Iirc cohort 4 was largely AZ.

• Advertisement

At least 7 or 800 50 to 59's got AZ in Greystones on May 18th when they ran out of pfizer

Advertisement