Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mossie

mossie wrote: »
    How long have people been waiting for second Pfizer? My 28 days is up on Monday and just wondering what the general experience is.

Have just got my appointment for Monday so bang on the 28 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭esposito

Apologies if this was asked already but what is the gap between 1st and 2nd doses of Pfizer vaccine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

esposito wrote: »
    Apologies if this was asked already but what is the gap between 1st and 2nd doses of Pfizer vaccine?
    28 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,060 ✭✭✭✭josip

Any chance a 34 year old will be double dosed by August 1st going by age based roll out ?

I think there's a chance if you're based in Cork or one of the MVCs that seem to be a year or two ahead of everyone else.

Very back of envelope: doing 43yo at the moment, 2 weeks ago they were doing 48yo.
    I think the reduced uptake among the 35-45yo will counterbalance the need for 2nd doses from the 250k weekly supply.
    So by the 4th of July they will be doing 36/35 yo and in Cork 34yo.

gJzqN2Y.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

It was always going to be the case that the UK and EU gap would close due to the EU ramping up to very high speed. We were saying this months ago. There were initial delays, but the resources were thown at the challenges and once things got going, it's been full steam ahead, with enormous ability to produce what's needed.

The fact that the irish rollout is more mRNA vaccine focused, and is sticking to the 4 weeks between doses means we will likely see that gap close faster too.

The UK is also now at the laggards / trying to convince the reluctant stage and the US is even more mired in that.

If both the UK and Ireland get good rates of uptake this is a huge benefit to both jurisdictions, as we share a common travel area and have open borders.

It's is a marathon, not a sprint though. What will ultimately matter is reaching very high % uptake and we seem to be on course to do that. So does the UK.

A lot of countries are going to struggle to get to 80%+ uptake because of attitudes, not supply issues but it looks like we may not be one of them.

The reality is we are in one of the places that has the best access to vaccines in the world and also to very high quality vaccines and infrastructure to deliver them and we had the luxury of being able to afford to and be able to take measures to control spread too. Many, many places neither have those kinds of public health, financial or social resources.

We've also had relative calm, chilled out and cooperative approaches to this too. Society didn't collapse. People didn't end up rioting. It was stressful but we've managed it. Don't underestimate Ireland's cohesiveness and resilience in a crisis.

All in all, as bad as covid is, we have been one of the better places to be, as have many of our neighbours in Europe.

One unexpected aspect of this pandemic for me is it's highlighted that Ireland is much more inward looking than I expected, for a first world country we've had some of the longest toughest restrictions compared to other places and people don't seem to realise it.
    I think because we have a big work from home cohort the big financial costs of this year are being ignored, me and many I know lost a lot of earnings this year that we wouldn't in other places and will be paying it back for the next 4 years.

This idea that it's a marathon not a sprint is fine but it doesn't take into account the disproportionate economic impact of restrictions on parts of the population that comes with a slow and steady pace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

I'm 38 and my age group can now make an appointment for it. Is anyone else here wondering whether to get it or not? I know an older lady who got Bell's Palsy after her vaccine so I am a bit on the fence. I'm also healthy. I've never had the flu and rarely have a cold so I'm wondering do I actually need to get it.

I've no interest in foreign holidays either so I'm not looking for proof of vaccination for anything. What do people think? I'm not anti vaccination but I'm just wondering if I need to get the thing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭JRant

josip wrote: »
    I think there's a chance if you're based in Cork or one of the MVCs that seem to be a year or two ahead of everyone else.

Very back of envelope: doing 43yo at the moment, 2 weeks ago they were doing 48yo.
    I think the reduced uptake among the 35-45yo will counterbalance the need for 2nd doses from the 250k weekly supply.
    So by the 4th of July they will be doing 36/35 yo and in Cork 34yo.

gJzqN2Y.png

Croke Park and Helix seem to be on 47/46 year olds going by people I know being called. It really depends on the postcode lottery but you won't be much longer after that date.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Qrt

Mules wrote: »
    I'm 38 and my age group can now make an appointment for it. Is anyone else here wondering whether to get it or not? I know an older lady who got Bell's Palsy after her vaccine so I am a bit on the fence. I'm also healthy. I've never had the flu and rarely have a cold so I'm wondering do I actually need to get it.

I've no interest in foreign holidays either so I'm not looking for proof of vaccination for anything. What do people think? I'm not anti vaccination but I'm just wondering if I need to get the thing at all.

The risk of Bell’s Palsy is extremely, extremely low, and it’s made all the rarer by you knowing somebody who’s had it. Very unlikely (statistically) for two people who know eachother to have the same extremely rare side effects.

I’d say just get it. I can’t wait to get mine and I’m only 22.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Pfizer committed to a 100 day turnaround for a new vaccine if it is required
    https://twitter.com/zacharybrennan/status/1403145901418369024?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Mules wrote: »

Aren't they still only registering the Over 40s or am I wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Apologies if this has been asked about already. I'm 43, living in the the mid west and registered on Wednesday of last week. My wife and I have still not received any text for appointment. Should we have by now? Hearing of locals who registered and have already been for the first dose, all in their early 40's....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Apologies if this has been asked about already. I'm 43, living in the the mid west and registered on Wednesday of last week. My wife and I have still not received any text for appointment. Should we have by now? Hearing of locals who registered and have already been for the first dose, all in their early 40's....
    The appointment can be anything from a few days to 3 weeks and it seems to depends where you are. Once you get to 3 weeks you should be prioritised. If you haven't been called by Day 14 give them a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Pat_bottom

Got the Pfizer yesterday all OK this morning no side effects as of yet apart from what's like a slight punch in my arm but nothing uncomfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,922 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Getting Pfizer'd this morning. Looking forward to it, borderline excited/relieved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Tomorrow (Saturday) will be your day 7 as far as I'm aware. I know you registered early but that's my read of it. 43 year old's were asked to register on Saturday 5th I think. Registering early was handy to get it out of the way but that's the only benefit to doing that. Going by the appointments thread, its nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Got AZ vaccine 30th of March have heard nothing about 2nd dose, in actual fact have heard nothing on media outlets regarding AZ whatsoever. Has anybody had 1st or 2nd dose of AZ in recent days.

everlast75 wrote: »
    Getting Pfizer'd this morning. Looking forward to it, borderline excited/relieved

Was saying to Mr's Bottom yesterday that it's a surreal feeling that we been following stories of a vaccine maybe possible within 2 years to reading about the first ones going to various trials and then the rollout starting and thinking will it ever be us.... To now be of us getting our first jab.

cyclops999 wrote: »
    Got AZ vaccine 30th of March have heard nothing about 2nd dose, in actual fact have heard nothing on media outlets regarding AZ whatsoever. Has anybody had 1st or 2nd dose of AZ in recent days.
    Know people who were done in April and have got the 2nd shot. Posters have mentioned AZ being used in May for 1st shots, but now seems exclusively 2nd shots. It is very likely to be the usual AZ supply issue and the HSE policy of not notifying people until they have supplies. Seems common enough to be in your situation when the appointment just pops up.

Tomorrow (Saturday) will be your day 7 as far as I'm aware. I know you registered early but that's my read of it. 43 year old's were asked to register on Saturday 5th I think. Registering early was handy to get it out of the way but that's the only benefit to doing that. Going by the appointments thread, its nothing to worry about.

You may also get lucky the odd time and get an appointment quick. I wasn't due to be registered until Sunday but had already got my appointment for yesterday on Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Qrt wrote: »
    The risk of Bell’s Palsy is extremely, extremely low, and it’s made all the rarer by you knowing somebody who’s had it. Very unlikely (statistically) for two people who know eachother to have the same extremely rare side effects.

The risk of OP developing bells palsy is not reduced by knowing someone who had it. The risk remains the same.

It is rare and and in most cases so far temporary.

• Advertisement

They literally state up to 3 weeks when you register. I was 15 days after the proper registration date.

There's so many people getting quite concerned due to comparing themselves to when others are receiving appointments. A bit more patience is required - they'll get there.

The way that they're assigning appointments is a bit random which isn't helping, but there's hopefully method to it. Saying that my wife received her appointment 3 days before me, but was vaccinated 2 days after in a different centre - almost 1 year difference in age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

JazzyJ wrote: »
    They literally state up to 3 weeks when you register. I was 15 days after the proper registration date.

I know that. Its just the advice given here was to ring them after 2 weeks but you know yourself, the first thing they'll say is 'oh I see you registered early, well actually blah blah'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I know that. Its just the advice given here was to ring them after 2 weeks but you know yourself, the first thing they'll say is 'oh I see you registered early, well actually blah blah'.

There's often poor advice here. You won't be entertained until you've hit 3 weeks, 2 weeks is well within the expected time frame.

Hurrache wrote: »
    There's often poor advice here. You won't be entertained until you've hit 3 weeks, 2 weeks is well within the expected time frame.
    Indeed - case in point here! Know of a few who called after two weeks and were told it was being "escalated". There is no harm doing it and it may draw attention to people who may have been overlooked. With such huge numbers going through the system that will happen and it's not called a helpline for nothing.

Qrt wrote: »

I’d say just get it. I can’t wait to get mine and I’m only 22.

While agreeing with your point about the risk being extremely low the highlighted is bad statistics.

The odds of any two individuals experiencing the issue are independent of each other. The fact that one has had the side effect does not impact the odds of the second experiencing the same thing in any way

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Pfizer committed to a 100 day turnaround for a new vaccine if it is required
    https://twitter.com/zacharybrennan/status/1403145901418369024?s=21

Looks like all the approved vaccines are working on fast turnaround next versions. - boosters and next generation. All good news. Also interesting and inspiring is the potential for these vaccines for other illnesses - the technology etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

One unexpected aspect of this pandemic for me is it's highlighted that Ireland is much more inward looking than I expected, for a first world country we've had some of the longest toughest restrictions compared to other places and people don't seem to realise it.
    I think because we have a big work from home cohort the big financial costs of this year are being ignored, me and many I know lost a lot of earnings this year that we wouldn't in other places and will be paying it back for the next 4 years.

This idea that it's a marathon not a sprint is fine but it doesn't take into account the disproportionate economic impact of restrictions on parts of the population that comes with a slow and steady pace

What this has highlighted for me, is how stressed and busy our medics and care teams already were and now ven more so - burn out a reality plus with such a disjointed system. The HSE needs a belt and braces restart - a joined up system that talks to other systems, pharmacy, dentist, cross county,. To put it one way, the left index finger knew what the left thumb was doing, but had no easy way to communicate, the left thumb had to use the left little finger to access systems.
    Things need to change - its been said soo many times before, but it really needs to.
    I am in NO WAY criticising of the people on the ground at the coal face, my hat off and many thanks, however it is the reality we are in. A fi for purpose medical system and mechanism is a right for all. I feel like we are short-changed and get fobbed off.

On BBC news there now,PHE have just stated the Delta variant is 60% more transmissible according to their latest study

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

votecounts wrote: »
    Aren't they still only registering the Over 40s or am I wrong

Ages 30 to 39 can register from next week.

• Advertisement

On BBC news there now,PHE have just stated the Delta variant is 60% more transmissible according to their latest study

60% more than the original covid or the UK/alpha variant? The UK one was meant to have a similar increased transmissibility, but from the looks of the numbers its been outcompeted by the delta one.

Advertisement