Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

cyclops999 wrote: »
    Got AZ vaccine 30th of March have heard nothing about 2nd dose, in actual fact have heard nothing on media outlets regarding AZ whatsoever. Has anybody had 1st or 2nd dose of AZ in recent days.

There is “supposed” to be a big delivery in the week of the 21st. The moving of the dates for AZ I believe is mostly for show. If you are in the 8-12 week range right now, I don’t think you’ll see anything different then what you would have been originally penned down for. I’d say you’ll get contacted next week. Potentially the over 60s will see some slight reduction, but I still think they’ll be waiting 10-12 weeks to actually get it. Unless AZ comes through with a massive load of doses, but even then you need to find slots in the MVCs to handle this new traffic.

Mules wrote: »
    Ages 30 to 39 can register from next week.

Could be wrong but I don’t think that’s the case now, no confirmed date at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IQO

Mules wrote: »
    I'm 38 and my age group can now make an appointment for it.
    It's still over 40s I believe now though?

Anyone has any idea when the next age group will open up?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Pat_bottom

IQO wrote: »
    It's still over 40s I believe now though?

Anyone has any idea when the next age group will open up?

I'd imagine announcement next week for the week after.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

Pfizer CEO at the G7 yesterday:
    Speaking alongside President Biden as the two officially announced the donation of half a billion shots of the Pfizer vaccine to low-income nations, Bourla stressed that the jab has so far proven effective against existing variants.

“None of the existing variant strains have escaped the protection provided by our vaccine,” Bourla said, emphasizing: “None.”

However, if this were to change, Bourla said the company has a plan and the infrastructure in place to turn around a new vaccine within 100 days.

He also reiterated that Pfizer is working on an oral treatment against Covid-19, which he is hoping will be approved by the end of the year.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimamcevoy/2021/06/10/pfizer-ceo-says-new-shot-could-be-made-within-100-days-to-tackle-variants-if-needed/?sh=734c72ed7a5c

• Advertisement

JazzyJ wrote: »
    60% more than the original covid or the UK/alpha variant? The UK one was meant to have a similar increased transmissibility, but from the looks of the numbers its been outcompeted by the delta one.

The UK one was already way more transmissible
    It got us to 5 or 6k cases a day infected pre level 5
    Shuddering at what delta could do even still

On the Guardian Coronavirus blog today at 10:48
    There’s another little nugget in the Public Health England data released today which PA have picked up. As of 7 June, there have been 42 deaths in England of people who were confirmed as having the Delta variant of Covid-19 and who died within 28 days of a positive test, according to Public Health England.

Of this number, 23 were unvaccinated, seven were more than 21 days after their first dose of vaccine, and 12 were more than 14 days after their second dose.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2021/jun/11/coronavirus-live-news-g7-leaders-to-discuss-reconstruction-japan-may-downgrade-emergency-until-olympics-start?page=with:block-60c331258f08971c08d9a7a8#block-60c331258f08971c08d9a7a8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The UK one was already way more transmissible
    It got us to 5 or 6k cases a day infected pre level 5
    Shuddering at what delta could do even still
    Not much if it has increasingly fewer people to infect. Current UK problem with it comes from superspreader religious festival events and of course that vaccine gap of 16 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,276 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Stupid bloody Britain.

They were warned and warned and WARNED about putting all their eggs in one basket by rolling out first doses while delaying the boosters and claiming it as a win.

But no, Johnson just wanted Britain to look good at something, ANYTHING!! And it has backfired spectacularly and people are dying. The criminally inept fool.

Will be interesting to see the data of how many partially vaccinated are getting sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,682 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Stupid bloody Britain.

They were warned and warned and WARNED about putting all their eggs in one basket by rolling out first doses while delaying the boosters and claiming it as a win.

But no, Johnson just wanted Britain to look good at something, ANYTHING!! And it has backfired spectacularly and people are dying. The criminally inept fool.

Will be interesting to see the data of how many partially vaccinated are getting sick.

It hasn't backfired at all? What are you on about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Skygord wrote: »
    42 deaths ... 12 were more than 14 days after their second dose

That's concerning. Hopefully vaccination continues to keep driving the case numbers down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

There’s another little nugget in the Public Health England data released today which PA have picked up. As of 7 June, there have been 42 deaths in England of people who were confirmed as having the Delta variant of Covid-19 and who died within 28 days of a positive test, according to Public Health England.

Of this number, 23 were unvaccinated, seven were more than 21 days after their first dose of vaccine, and 12 were more than 14 days after their second dose.

I'm not sure that tells us a whole lot though. We know that one dose of AZ does not provide much protection against the Delta variant, so the 7 that died after having the first dose isn't all that surprising. The 12 that died after getting their second dose, well do we know whether they were infected before the second dose was administered? My impression is that on average those that die from covid have been infected weeks previously. You know, X amount of days for symptoms to show up, X amount of days for symptoms to get bad enough for hospitalisation, X amount of days in intensive care etc.

Of course if 12 people were infected more than two weeks after their second dose, and ended up dying from the virus, that is of concern. But that's not really what the statistic published by the Guardian is telling us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

Flying Fox wrote: »
    More of a supply issue than capacity to be fair.

Not sure if I would agree with that, deliveries from May onwards when we already had a good chunk Moderna and Pfizer from a large end of April dDelivery. Basing it on the Belgian deliveries (removed additional contract Belgium have for Pfizer) below of total vaccines (Exluded J&J although there is over 100,000 vaccines of this delivered at this stage)

Date Belgium Del Ireland Del
    02-May 824,800 346416
    09-May 512,800 215376
    16-May 438,800 184296
    23-May 503,800 211596
    30-May 1,145,300 481026
    06-Jun 832,800 349776

We have received 1.8 million Vaccines and administered 1.25 in the period. There is a large volume of healthcare workers who could be done with the second AZ dose with what is currently in the fridge following NIACs reduction to 8 weeks yet its still lagging behind. I know there is operational issues but I think we are probably maxed out at 300k a week when the target was 400k a week.

We are going to be receiving over 300k mRNA vaccines per week until the end of the month and probably close to 100k a week on average of AZ. I think we are becoming restricted a bit by capacity rather than supply. I also find it interesting the HSE have not mentioned their own target to get 90% of vaccines received out within a week in a few weeks.

A 250-280k target is underwhelming given stocks available

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Stupid bloody Britain.

What on earth are you talking about.? Eggs are not in one basket. UK is using Moderna, Pfizer and AZ - just like Ireland and other countries.

The situation in UK was awful as were others - and the government should have done things differently, (care homes etc) but tell me which if any other country wouldn't have done things differently.
    AZ is a slow burner and dosing intervals for all vaccines chosen as a MAX of twelve weeks at the time, averaging 10.5 weeks until a few weeks ago.

The Indian variant is here and as we open up, it will grow, no doubt about it.

The situation has changed so many times, evolved - hindsight is a wonderful thing. The plan was to stop give some protection to as many people as possible and reduced hospitalisation.

JDD wrote: »
    I'm not sure that tells us a whole lot though. We know that one dose of AZ does not provide much protection against the Delta variant, so the 7 that died after having the first dose isn't all that surprising. The 12 that died after getting their second dose, well do we know whether they were infected before the second dose was administered? My impression is that on average those that die from covid have been infected weeks previously. You know, X amount of days for symptoms to show up, X amount of days for symptoms to get bad enough for hospitalisation, X amount of days in intensive care etc.

Of course if 12 people were infected more than two weeks after their second dose, and ended up dying from the virus, that is of concern. But that's not really what the statistic published by the Guardian is telling us.

I read that the one dose of AZ and Pfizer give the same amount of protection c33%.

JDD wrote: »

yeah, I can't find the source from PHE referring to those deaths, only the Guardian report on it. Irish Times now running it...
    As of June 7th, there have been 42 deaths in England of people who were confirmed as having the Delta variant of Covid-19 and who died within 28 days of a positive test, according to Public Health England. Of this number, 23 were unvaccinated, seven were more than 21 days after their first dose of vaccine and 12 were more than 14 days after their second dose.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/delta-variant-accounts-for-more-than-90-of-english-covid-cases-1.4590621

Edit to add, whilst scary, a positive is that current fears of the Delta variant may help retain the high vaccine uptake rate as we reach the younger age groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Toodles_27

This is mad! Limericks vaccination rollout will come secondary to horse racing.
    Worst county in the country presently and this is now happening after being unable to vaccinate to facilitate move for the bones of 3 days already.

https://twitter.com/live95limerick/status/1403285566666559488?s=21

Toodles_27 wrote: »
    This is mad! Limericks vaccination rollout will come secondary to horse racing.
    Worst county in the country presently and this is now happening after being unable to vaccinate to facilitate move for the bones of 3 days already.

https://twitter.com/live95limerick/status/1403285566666559488?s=21

Couldn't make it up really could you :mad:
    That is shocking - what on earth is going on in Limerick?

The PHE report from this morning. Very clear that the majority of cases and hospitalizations are in the unvaccinated. Out of over 33000 cases only 16% are in the partially vaccinated and 5% in the fully vaccinated

https://twitter.com/kallmemeg/status/1403272035304882179?s=19

what on earth is going on in Limerick?

Many people been asking this for many years :)

• Advertisement

Hardyn wrote: »
    The PHE report from this morning. Very clear that the majority of cases and hospitalizations are in the unvaccinated. Out of over 33000 cases only 16% are in the partially vaccinated and 5% in the fully vaccinated

https://twitter.com/kallmemeg/status/1403272035304882179?s=19

Race is really on to get them jabs done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

It is somewhat disappointing to hear that of 42 deaths from confirmed Delta variant that 12 of them were over 2 weeks since second dose. If that can happen to vaccinated people, what's the way out of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

How effective is J&J against the delta variant?

Couldn't make it up really could you :mad:
    That is shocking - what on earth is going on in Limerick?

Horse racing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

It is somewhat disappointing to hear that of 42 deaths from confirmed Delta variant that 12 of them were over 2 weeks since second dose. If that can happen to vaccinated people, what's the way out of this?

I wouldn't read too much into it yet,
    They didn't release which vaccination was used, age of the person, were they compromised from a different illness ect

You have to be careful how you look at the data. Those who are most likely to not get a sufficient immune response from a vaccine are also those most likely to die from the virus. 12 deaths may actually have bee 250 without a vaccine

Keep on vaccinating, and FAST.

Maybe these people's immune systems were already weakened and couldn't build a full response, but even with a very small % of people who are not fully protected after vaccination, the more people that are = less hosts, and less virus in the community to infect anyone. It really is a race towards herd immunity, and with the Delta Variant taking off in UK, inc NI, and soon inevitably I guess, here, it seems it could be a very close run thing between pace of expansion of the variant and pace of vaccinations.

You have to be careful how you look at the data. Those who are most likely to not get a sufficient immune response from a vaccine are also those most likely to die from the virus. 12 deaths may actually have bee 250 without a vaccine

Also with the 12 week interval that group is likely overrepresented by older and vulnerable individuals. Considering they previously represented the vast majority of deaths in the UK that's a huge improvement.

Keep on vaccinating, and FAST.

Maybe these people's immune systems were already weakened and couldn't build a full response, but even with a very small % of people who are not fully protected after vaccination, the more people that are = less hosts, and less virus in the community to infect anyone. It really is a race towards herd immunity, and with the Delta Variant taking off in UK, inc NI, and soon inevitably I guess here, it seems it could be a very close run thing between pace of expansion of the variant and pace of vaccinations.

If you even look at if from a simple cases to deaths ratio. In January cases peaked on the 9th in the UK and deaths on the 23rd. The ratio of peak death number to peak cases was 1:50.

The ratio of deaths yesterday to cases 14 days ago is 1:350.

• Advertisement

Mrs Skygord is cohort 4 and was 1st vaccinated by her hospital back in March.

She didn't use the HSE portal for 1st dose, as it was organised by her hospital consultant, but the hospital elected to utilise an MVC as the place to deliver the vaccine.

She's now coming up to 11 weeks since the 1st dose.

Anyone know whether she'll hear from her hospital, or the HSE, with an appointment for the 2nd dose?

Advertisement