Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Just found out from the parents that my old GP called up asking for me to offer a vaccine. Unfortunately I'm not living there anymore so they've taken me off the list now. I'm only 32 so surprised they're calling so early. No particular relevance to anything, just sharing in case it's of interest (and venting my frustration that I'll have to wait longer now :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

duffman13 wrote: »
    Not sure if I would agree with that, deliveries from May onwards when we already had a good chunk Moderna and Pfizer from a large end of April dDelivery. Basing it on the Belgian deliveries (removed additional contract Belgium have for Pfizer) below of total vaccines (Exluded J&J although there is over 100,000 vaccines of this delivered at this stage)

Date Belgium Del Ireland Del
    02-May 824,800 346416
    09-May 512,800 215376
    16-May 438,800 184296
    23-May 503,800 211596
    30-May 1,145,300 481026
    06-Jun 832,800 349776

We have received 1.8 million Vaccines and administered 1.25 in the period. There is a large volume of healthcare workers who could be done with the second AZ dose with what is currently in the fridge following NIACs reduction to 8 weeks yet its still lagging behind. I know there is operational issues but I think we are probably maxed out at 300k a week when the target was 400k a week.

We are going to be receiving over 300k mRNA vaccines per week until the end of the month and probably close to 100k a week on average of AZ. I think we are becoming restricted a bit by capacity rather than supply. I also find it interesting the HSE have not mentioned their own target to get 90% of vaccines received out within a week in a few weeks.

A 250-280k target is underwhelming given stocks available
    You need to be careful taking the Belgium figures and just using 42%
    If you look through the previous confirmed Irish deliveries, you would see that AZ were bang on that 24%, same for J&J and Moderna. We always received close to 50% of the Belgium Pfizer deliveries (perhaps Belgium didn't take up their full allotment?)
    The additional contract you mention, is that not Pfizer just bringing forward Q4 deliveries into Q2? Same as what they have done already with the additional 50mil Q3 doses brought forward to Q2?
    Also worth mentioning, Moderna % will vary from Belgium now as Ireland didn't purchase any additional doses from the extra options. That part of the order is being brought forward (similar to Pfizer) so we will be getting less than 42% of Belgium's figure.

Simple answer is... we don't know what the current official delivery figures we have for Ireland are. Last update was back in May 12th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Got Pfizer at 11:45 am yesterday,
    by 2pm I felt noticeably tired - particularly around the eyes - as if I had been reading for hours.
    Slept ok-ish last night but arm was / is quite sore - cant lift it above shoulder level.
    Very tired today still, probably take an early day from work and get some rest in.

Delighted to have the 1st dose done though.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

Skygord wrote: »
    Mrs Skygord is cohort 4 and was 1st vaccinated by her hospital back in March.

She didn't use the HSE portal for 1st dose, as it was organised by her hospital consultant, but the hospital elected to utilise an MVC as the place to deliver the vaccine.

She's now coming up to 11 weeks since the 1st dose.

Anyone know whether she'll hear from her hospital, or the HSE, with an appointment for the 2nd dose?

Ring the 1850 24 1850 number and ask and also talk to your GP. If she’s categorised as high risk, she should be vaccinated by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

It is somewhat disappointing to hear that of 42 deaths from confirmed Delta variant that 12 of them were over 2 weeks since second dose. If that can happen to vaccinated people, what's the way out of this?

A headline figure, its disappointing but not unexpected at all to be honest. People receive a flu vaccine every year yet vaccinated people die every year too. It will be interesting to see the breakdown of the data in terms of time post vaccine, age and also which vaccine was usedd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,584 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Interesting research on dose-stretching published:

A Half Dose of Moderna is More Effective Than a Full Dose of AstraZeneca

https://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2021/06/a-half-dose-of-moderna-is-more-effective-than-a-full-dose-of-astrazeneca.html

"Today we are releasing a new paper on dose-stretching co-authored by Witold Wiecek, Amrita Ahuja, Michael Kremer, Alexandre Simoes Gomes, Christopher M. Snyder, Brandon Joel Tan and myself.

The paper makes three big points. First, Khoury et al (2021) just published a paper in Nature which shows that “Neutralizing antibody levels are highly predictive of immune protection from symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infection.” What that means is that there is a strong relationship between immunogenicity data that we can easily measure with a blood test and the efficacy rate that it takes hundreds of millions of dollars and many months of time to measure in a clinical trial. Thus, future vaccines may not have to go through lengthy clinical trials (which may even be made impossible as infections rates decline) but can instead rely on these correlates of immunity.

Here is where fractional dosing comes in. We supplement the key figure from Khoury et al.’s paper to show that fractional doses of the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines have neutralizing antibody levels on par with those of many approved vaccines. Indeed, a one-half or one-quarter dose of the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine looks to be more effective than the standard dose of some of the other vaccines like the AstraZeneca, J&J or Sinopharm vaccines. The point is not that these other vaccines aren’t good–they are great! The point is that by using fractional dosing we could rapidly and safely expand the number of effective doses of the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines."

Link to working paper:

https://bfi.uchicago.edu/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/BFI_WP_2021-68.pdf

Could Vaccine Dose Stretching Reduce COVID-19 Deaths?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,584 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Vaccine-Efficacy-Figure_Social-and-Web-Share-Graphic_v04.jpg

Geuze wrote: »
    Vaccine-Efficacy-Figure_Social-and-Web-Share-Graphic_v04.jpg

Having received the text for the Moderna 1st dose yesterday, this chart pleases me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

https://twitter.com/sinnfeinireland/status/1403310430651621376

I wouldn't have thought this was the smartest move considering the high cases in Limerick, surely the health of people trumps a feckin horse race meeting

votecounts wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/sinnfeinireland/status/1403310430651621376

I wouldn't have thought this was the smartest move considering the high cases in Limerick, surely the health of people trumps a feckin horse race meeting

Who owns the racecourse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

It is somewhat disappointing to hear that of 42 deaths from confirmed Delta variant that 12 of them were over 2 weeks since second dose. If that can happen to vaccinated people, what's the way out of this?

Those vaccinated ppl only died because there are tons of unvaccinated people who they could meet.

Once it'll be really hard to run into unvaccinated ppl, vaccinated ppl's risks will drop dramatically. (not looking forward to being forced to sit next to a couple of flat earther unvaccinated colleagues once back to office)

"no one is safe until everyone is safe"

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Who owns the racecourse?

YEAH, EXACTLY, bloody awful to close tomorrow. Sending people to Dublin an other locations because of a horserace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

My vaccine portal has now updated to reflect I have gotten vaccine 1
    I got it from the GP though so wasn’t sure what would happen with the online portal
    Looks like all the information is collated together which is good as I may end up going to MVC for second shot

12 deaths so far of Fully vaccinated people from the delta variant in England according to BBC news
    Thats actually a lot
    They don't say what ages,underlying conditions or which vaccine
    I'd be prepared almost to bet its AstraZeneca

Who owns the racecourse?

I assume it's owned, used by and visited by people involved in a sport that gets lots of state funding...

YEAH, EXACTLY, bloody awful to close tomorrow. Sending people to Dublin an other locations because of a horserace.

It was a genuine question. Who owns the racecourse? Because if it’s not the state, the agreement to use would certainly have included a provision for use for pre planned activities or required compensation in the event of cancellation.

And are people being sent elsewhere or or appointments not just being planned for tomorrow? There is tonnes of capacity so no one is missing out by more than a couple of days

Whatever about the contract, it's a PR and political disaster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

More excellent news:

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0611/1227522-coronavirus-ireland/

“” Eight adult hospitals have no Covid-19 inpatients today including St James's hospital in Dublin and hospitals in Sligo, Galway and Waterford.””

Whatever about the contract, it's a PR and political disaster!

Because certain parties love making mountains out of molehills while ignoring the real issues because that would actually involve applying some logical reasoning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Got Pfizer at 11:45 am yesterday,
    by 2pm I felt noticeably tired - particularly around the eyes - as if I had been reading for hours.
    Slept ok-ish last night but arm was / is quite sore - cant lift it above shoulder level.
    Very tired today still, probably take an early day from work and get some rest in.

Delighted to have the 1st dose done though.

Exactly the same myself.
    I get a sore arm any time someone sticks a needle in it so nothing new there, but the tiredness wasnt expected. Fine after a sleep though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Micky 32 wrote: »
    More excellent news:

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0611/1227522-coronavirus-ireland/

“” Eight adult hospitals have no Covid-19 inpatients today including St James's hospital in Dublin and hospitals in Sligo, Galway and Waterford.””

I watched St James on a TV documentary filmed during high Covid cases
    The staff were absolutely exhausted and stressed . I am so pleased for them that they can hopefully take a break and get time off and recharge their batteries now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Delivery update on ecdc. Two weeks but I think it is missing this week.

Pfizer... 2352k +466k
    AZ...........779k +153k
    Moderna 348k +65k
    J&J..........133k +72k

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Pat_bottom

xboxdad wrote: »
    Those vaccinated ppl only died because there are tons of unvaccinated people who they could meet.

Once it'll be really hard to run into unvaccinated ppl, vaccinated ppl's risks will drop dramatically. (not looking forward to being forced to sit next to a couple of flat earther unvaccinated colleagues once back to office)

"no one is safe until everyone is safe"

This is a really good post on my opinion and it answers all the people you meet that claim "oh I'm not getting that because even tho you still have it we still ain't safe" I don't know how people can't get their heads around this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Pat_bottom wrote: »
    This is a really good post on my opinion and it answers all the people you meet that claim "oh I'm not getting that because even tho you still have it we still ain't safe" I don't know how people can't get their heads around this.

It could be a good post if we knew the full story of the 12 that died. Even so come July/August things will be a lot different as the months pass by. There will be a huge amount more vaccinated say by August.

Because certain parties love making mountains out of molehills while ignoring the real issues because that would actually involve applying some logical reasoning?

Closing a mass vaccination centre in a city where there's a spike in numbers and with concerning variants on the horizon, in the middle of a pandemic, all to facilitate a horse race.

Yup that's totally reasonable (rolls eyes). Nothing to see here! Anyone who says otherwise is just a trouble maker...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

12 deaths so far of Fully vaccinated people from the delta variant in England according to BBC news
    Thats actually a lot
    And that's the big problem. If they're all over 80, or severly compromised with comorbidities then it's of course a personal tragedy for them and loved ones, but otherwise means little enough.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Closing a mass vaccination centre in a city where there's a spike in numbers and with concerning variants on the horizon, in the middle of a pandemic, all to facilitate a horse race.

Yup that's totally reasonable (rolls eyes). Nothing to see here! Anyone who says otherwise is just a trouble maker...

It’s not being closed, it just wasn’t planned on being used tomorrow. In the real world this vaccination centre only opened this week to replace the one at the radisson which in fact will still be operating tomorrow maintaining the 7 day vaccine programme for the people of Limerick. Doesn’t stop the needless frothing unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Thats actually a lot
    I'd be prepared almost to bet its AstraZeneca

No it doesn't say what conditions they had, nor does it state the vaccine.
    Pfizer and AZ are c33% efficacy against Delta at one dose, Pfizer c83+, AZ expected to be 80-90% range (slow burn etc).

One thing I did read recently, because of Delta, fully vaccinated and protected, may not be 2-3 weeks as before, but 4-5 weeks, is being reviewed. But wasn't sure of the source validity. It will be interesting to see results. One thing for certain, the vaccines are working, take the second jab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

No it doesn't say what conditions they had, nor does it state the vaccine.
    Pfizer and AZ are c33% efficacy against Delta at one dose, Pfizer c83+, AZ expected to be 80-90% range (slow burn etc).

One thing I did read recently, because of Delta, fully vaccinated and protected, may not be 2-3 weeks as before, but 4-5 weeks, is being reviewed. But wasn't sure of the source validity. It will be interesting to see results. One thing for certain, the vaccines are working, take the second jab.

The efficacy of J&J on this variant seems to have been disregarded.
    I cant find a word about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,263 ✭✭✭✭L1011

JimmyVik wrote: »
    The efficacy of J&J on this variant seems to have been disregarded.
    I cant find a word about it.

So little of it has arrived its barely relevant.

Advertisement