Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's not a conspiracy as such BB, more human nature mixed with politics and a media that needs copy to fill the pages and airwaves. Fear can motivate both and to hell with science and facts. That affects both the actual conspiracy nuts and the more extreme among the fearful we're dooooooooooo *breath* ooooooooomed I tells ya! folks. Long covid will almost certainly become a headliner for a time at least. It may well prove to be real, or at least real with some, like the poor the hypochondriacs will always be with us, but the medical facts as it stands are thin on the ground. We just don't know. Yet.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    It's not a conspiracy as such BB, more human nature mixed with politics and a media that needs copy to fill the pages and airwaves. Fear can motivate both and to hell with science and facts. That affects both the actual conspiracy nuts and the more extreme among the fearful we're dooooooooooo *breath* ooooooooomed I tells ya! folks. Long covid will almost certainly become a headliner for a time at least. It may well prove to be real, or at least real with some, like the poor the hypochondriacs will always be with us, but the medical facts as it stands are thin on the ground. We just don't know. Yet.

So it's probably best not to treat such claims as axiomatic. If people wish to do that, then my link is the appropriate place for such reasoning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,770 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,
    Got my appointment for next Thursday. Is it possible to push back a week? 28 days from next Thursday I’ll be travelling. If I could move back a week I’d reschedule but I’ll make it work if I’m likely to be put back a few weeks.
    It says in the text to respond with new if you want W different appointment but is it likely to be around the same day?
    Cheers,
    Mick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

If you’re tired maybe you should take a nap? :rolleyes:

Btw it was Liberal Democrat MP Layla Moran that up about long covid which in turn i posted here out of sarcasm.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    If you’re tired maybe you should take a nap? :rolleyes:

Btw it was Liberal Democrat MP Layla Moran that up about long covid which in turn i posted here out of sarcasm.

Perhaps I should stop engaging with boring people who claim to have all the answers, yet frame their theories as " asking questions".

I think I'll start right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Perhaps I should stop engaging with boring people who claim to have all the answers, yet frame their theories as " asking questions".

I think I'll start right now.

That would be splendid if you would do that. Speaking of boring it does get boring reading waffling replies to my posts.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

is_that_so wrote: »
    Lack of action does not really mean anything when it comes to AZ where it's supplies once again. If the rumoured large delivery transpires they will fly through them.

It's not supplies, there is ample supply of AZ in stock to get the majority of dose twos done or at least a significant proportion

Genuinely surprised a journalist hasn't asked the question of how much vaccine is currently in the country at the present time.

On another note, a few pharmacies (around 40) in rural locations have gotten the call to provide Pfizer so that will help and hopefully be expanded

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭JPup

Hi folks,
    Got my appointment for next Thursday. Is it possible to push back a week? 28 days from next Thursday I’ll be travelling. If I could move back a week I’d reschedule but I’ll make it work if I’m likely to be put back a few weeks.
    It says in the text to respond with new if you want W different appointment but is it likely to be around the same day?
    Cheers,
    Mick

Why not get your first dose now and if your second clashes with your trip postpone that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

How good are they to stick to the 4 weeks from your first dose? And how soon the second dose scheduled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

Galego wrote: »
    How good are they to stick to the 4 weeks from your first dose? And how soon the second dose scheduled?

From family experiences in Citywest it was 4 weeks exactly although notification on both occasions was short enough at 2-3 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I just got the text for my second appointment which is 29 days after the first. Scheduled between 3 and 7 days before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,382 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Wibbs wrote: »

Myalgic encephalopathy for the 21st century.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Myalgic encephalopathy for the 21st century.

What about the ME that’s already in the 21st century.

“Long Covid” and ME are likely the same thing triggered by severe viral infection and the dysfunctional immune response that a small number experience. There will be a disproportionately large number of these cases now because of the large number of severe viral infections in a short period

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,770 ✭✭✭micks_address

JPup wrote: »
    Why not get your first dose now and if your second clashes with your trip postpone that?

I figured it would be better to ensure the 4 weeks apart?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mossie

Got my text yesterday for second dose on Monday exactly 4 weeks from first dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭JPup

I figured it would be better to ensure the 4 weeks apart?

All the advice I’ve seen is it’s better to get the first dose as soon as you can. Pfizer advice is 4-6 weeks between doses but in UK and several other European countries they extended by between 8-12 weeks. If anything the extra time between doses seemed to give a better immune response from what I read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

For those who have rescheduled, how far forward has new date been pushed?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Caquas

revelman wrote: »
    From same press conference above:

I’m surprised by this. I had thought that by mid-June we would be doing closer to 400k a week.

You’re right, that’s what we were told a couple of weeks ago. We seem to be stuck at half the numbers we had planned and no sign this will accelerate.

It is frustrating to be waiting for my second jab of AZ. I got the first in early May and was told today it could be late July before I’m fully vaccinated. My wife got Pfizer three weeks ago and will be fully vaccinated tomorrow. I might be stuck at home while she goes travelling abroad this summer.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/state-hits-2-5-million-vaccinations-earlier-than-expected-1.4575202

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,922 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Got 1st dose of Pfizer today at noon.

Zero delays - appointment was exactly when I was done.

Zero side effects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭political analyst

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0611/1227603-j-j-contamination-supplies/
    On the issue of the doses which had been contaminated, the European Medicines Agency (EMA) did not say today how many shots were affected.

The EMA said it was aware a batch of the active substance for J&J's Covid-19 vaccine had been contaminated in April with materials for the AstraZeneca vaccine also made at the site in Maryland owned by Emergent Biosolutions, ruining a reported 15 million J&J doses.

The production of J&J's vaccine at the site was halted by US authorities and J&J was put in charge of manufacturing at the plant.

Why did J&J and AZ choose the same factory to manufacture materials for their vaccines? Did nobody think of the risk of cross-contamination taking place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭higster

Just got text for 2nd AZ shot on Weds, 10 weeks after first on the nose (Limerick). Good sign!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0611/1227603-j-j-contamination-supplies/

Why did J&J and AZ choose the same factory to manufacture materials for their vaccines? Did nobody think of the risk of cross-contamination taking place?

I don't believe J&J nor AZ had a choice. Emergent was awarded the contract from the US government. Part of the defence production act, j&j and AZ say they need capicity, government give out a contract and puts them all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭newboard

I've been hearing conflicting information about when registration is opening for the next cohort - it was first said by Irish times that registration will open next week, then I read that they'll know by end of next week when registration will open, but then on Pat Kenny today they said registration was opening next week?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

newboard wrote: »
    I've been hearing conflicting information about when registration is opening for the next cohort - it was first said by Irish times that registration will open next week, then I read that they'll know by end of next week when registration will open, but then on Pat Kenny today they said registration was opening next week?
    I thought Paul Reid said they'll be in a better position to say at the end of next week. Which leads me to believe it'll be Monday of the following week. There's a lot in the 40-44 group who've had no appointment yet so I think they want to get them organised before opening it further.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

I got my first injection yesterday. Moderna. No side effects worth talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

higster wrote: »
    Just got text for 2nd AZ shot on Weds, 10 weeks after first on the nose (Limerick). Good sign!

They said this would happen : AZ second doses would be phased down to eight weeks soon enough, so it looks like the process is underway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

k so 44 2nd jab galway tuesday. away till thursday. how long to reschedule?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Thread has been going off topic in a number of different directions this evening. Can we please get back to discussing the vaccination rollout as per the op?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

k so 44 2nd jab galway tuesday. away till thursday. how long to reschedule?

This is going to become more and more of an issue as the summer goes on and people have trips around the country planned

Please report back when you have rescheduled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

First dose today, at the Helix. Pfeizer.
    Registered last week. I was nicely surprised how quickly I got the text.

Have to say, it's very well organised. Runs very smoothly and there was some good vibe. Like no bossy shouty staff.

Advertisement