Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

Is there any list of chemists participating in JandJ rollout ?
    It’s impossible to find any info.
    I rang the main chemist in nearby town and they said they weren’t and was the first they heard about it
    Have finally convinced an elderly relative to get one and want to get them booked in
    It’s one shot or nothing for them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

km79 wrote: »
    Is there any list of chemists participating in JandJ rollout ?
    It’s impossible to find any info.
    I rang the main chemist in nearby town and they said they weren’t and was the first they heard about it
    Have finally convinced an elderly relative to get one and want to get them booked in
    It’s one shot or nothing for them!

There was originally 1000 pharmacies signed up but a lot pulled out due to logistical issues of being confined to over 50s which have majority been done.

What part of the country are you and I can fire a few suggestions. I know a couple in different parts of the country. First arrivals next Monday so would imagine there will be more detail from others then

duffman13 wrote: »
    There was originally 1000 pharmacies signed up but a lot pulled out due to logistical issues of being confined to over 50s which have majority been done.

What part of the country are you and I can fire a few suggestions. I know a couple in different parts of the country. First arrivals next Monday so would imagine there will be more detail from others then

30km the mayo side of Galway city
    Headford, Tuam , Ballinrobe would be the nearest towns with pharmacies

km79 wrote: »
    30km the mayo side of Galway city
    Headford, Tuam , Ballinrobe would be the nearest towns with pharmacies

Balla or Kilkelly, there's two pharmacies owned by the same fella. Coffeys Life Pharmacy, one of them (possibly both) has J&J for delivery next week. That's probably the nearest to you I'd know of to be honest. I'm sure one of the big chains in your area will probably offer them too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Posted this in main thread, but perhaps more a question for here:

Kingston Mills, Professor of Immunology at Trinity College Dublin, today:

“The AstraZeneca vaccine is not as good as the mRNA vaccines, you know, around 60 per cent effective compared with 88 [per cent] for the Pfizer [vaccine] against the Delta variant, even with two doses,” he said.

“So that is a significant concern for those who have been vaccinated with the AstraZenenca vaccine if the Delta variant gets a hold here in Ireland, like it has in the UK.”

A lot of people on here have said that it shouldn't matter what vaccine you've got. But with statements like this, (perhaps debatable), have views changed? I have friends in their 60s, and they are all concerned about the risks and begrudging Pfizer recipients at this stage!

For HCW, it remains an issue too presumably, and whether a mix/match approach would be more suitable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

“The AstraZeneca vaccine is not as good as the mRNA vaccines, you know, around 60 per cent effective compared with 88 [per cent] for the Pfizer [vaccine] against the Delta variant, even with two doses,” he said.

“So that is a significant concern for those who have been vaccinated with the AstraZenenca vaccine if the Delta variant gets a hold here in Ireland, like it has in the UK.”

A lot of people on here have said that it shouldn't matter what vaccine you've got. But with statements like this, (perhaps debatable), have views changed? I have friends in their 60s, and they are all concerned about the risks and begrudging Pfizer recipients at this stage!

For HCW, it remains an issue too presumably, and whether a mix/match approach would be more suitable?

That is 60% preventing you getting the sniffles. Was Mr Mills eager to talk about the % it prevents you from getting seriously ill and ending up in hospital??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

My local GP has announced that they have rolled through the at risk coherts and are now asking anybody else to register their interest. Unofficially they are basically proceeding to now vaccinate anybody else. Very slick operation for a GP practice to be fair.

Kingston Mills has an issue with AZ since the start. In January he criticised the government for calling it a game changer and saying it was important in the rollout. It was and we'd no choice there. In the same interview he hails novovax as the best vaccine which was in early trial stages and still hasn't come to market

https://twitter.com/TonightVMTV/status/1354921176741666816?s=20

Hes regularly cited that awful SA variant study in relation to AZ. He's openly said Sputnik is a brilliant vaccine while ignoring concerns his peers have about the trial data. AZ and Sputnik both use Adenovirus tech, but he massively prefers one over the other.

Kingston Mills and his views on AZ are not impartial imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,108 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Thanks for posting it here so I don't have to venture back into that dumpster fire of a thread. :D

I feel absurd contradicting a Trinity Professor of Immunology, but his reported comments appear to be a misinterpretation of the PHE study from which his numbers are presumably drawn.

Effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines against the B.1.617.2 variant
    https://khub.net/documents/135939561/430986542/Effectiveness+of+COVID-19+vaccines+against+the+B.1.617.2+variant.pdf/204c11a4-e02e-11f2-db19-b3664107ac42

First note the limited scope of the Conclusions.
    Conclusions
    After 2 doses of either vaccine there were only modest differences in vaccine effectiveness with the B.1.617.2 variant. Absolute differences in vaccine effectiveness were more marked with dose 1. This would support maximising vaccine uptake with 2 doses among vulnerable groups.

I think this means that if you have two doses of a vaccine, you have similar protection against both variants, but if you have only one dose, the Indian variant is more of a threat.

Note, however, that the Conclusions do not state that AZ has worse two-dose efficacy than Pfizer. To understand why, read the Interpretation section.
    Interpretation
    These findings suggest a modest reduction in vaccine effectiveness. Nevertheless, a clear effect of both vaccines was noted with high levels of effectiveness after two doses. Vaccine effects after two doses of ChAdOx1 vaccine were smaller than for BNT162b2 against either variant. This is consistent with reported clinical trial findings. However, rollout of second doses of ChAdOx1 was later than BNT162b2 and the difference may be explained by the limited follow-up after two doses of ChAdOx1 if it takes more than two weeks to reach maximum effectiveness with this vaccine. Consistent with this, 74% of those who had received 2 doses of ChAdOx1 had done so between 2 and 4 weeks prior to symptom onset compared to 46% with BNT162b2[/B] (supplementary figure 1).

A previous PHE study which found that the AZ is slower to induce immunity, but that the rise goes on longer and is more durable, which is why we have a far stricter dosing schedule for Pfizer.

To slightly confuse the issue, it then goes on to say
    Numbers of cases and follow-up periods are currently insufficient to estimate effectiveness against severe disease, including hospitalisation and mortality, however, previous vaccine effectiveness estimates with other variants have shown higher levels of effectiveness against more severe outcomes (10, 14, 28). Therefore, higher levels of effectiveness against severe disease may be anticipated with the B.1.617.2 vaccine.

I've not sure what that last sentence is trying to say. B.1.617.2 is a variant, not a vaccine. Maybe that's why the study has Preprint watermarked all over it in two-inch high letters. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭amandstu

The figures given for the Astra vaccine against the Delta variant are around 30% for symptomatic disease/ Is that as good (not so bad ,actually it seems to me) as it gets or does the performance continue to improve in the weeks leading up to the second jab?

I assume that 30% figure is something of a snapshot ,perhaps 2 weeks or so after the first jab.I think I heard that it can take a long time for the protection to build up after a jab....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,388 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Any word on that vaccine being produced in Newcastle? Was it Novavax?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

amandstu wrote: »
    The figures given for the Astra vaccine against the Delta variant are around 30% for symptomatic disease/ Is that as good (not so bad ,actually it seems to me) as it gets or does the performance continue to improve in the weeks leading up to the second jab?

I assume that 30% figure is something of a snapshot ,perhaps 2 weeks or so after the first jab.I think I heard that it can take a long time for the protection to build up after a jab....

That figure is taken 3 weeks after the first dose, but don't think there is anything published based on effectiveness after 3 weeks, but logically it would increase to a point I would expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭amandstu

delly wrote: »
    That figure is taken 3 weeks after the first dose, but don't think there is anything published based on effectiveness after 3 weeks, but logically it would increase to a point I would expect.

Any comparative figures for the earlier (or original) variants?

amandstu wrote: »
    Any comparative figures for the earlier (or original) variants?

For the old school Covid, see below
    Exploratory analyses showed that vaccine efficacy after a single standard dose of vaccine from day 22 to day 90 after vaccination was 76·0% (59·3–85·9)
    https://pharmaceutical-journal.com/article/feature/everything-you-need-to-know-about-covid-19-vaccines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭techdiver

duffman13 wrote: »
    Kingston Mills has an issue with AZ since the start. In January he criticised the government for calling it a game changer and saying it was important in the rollout. It was and we'd no choice there. In the same interview he hails novovax as the best vaccine which was in early trial stages and still hasn't come to market

https://twitter.com/TonightVMTV/status/1354921176741666816?s=20

Hes regularly cited that awful SA variant study in relation to AZ. He's openly said Sputnik is a brilliant vaccine while ignoring concerns his peers have about the trial data. AZ and Sputnik both use Adenovirus tech, but he massively prefers one over the other.

Kingston Mills and his views on AZ are not impartial imo

I think a massive issue since the start of this is the deference paid to "experts". Anyone with any qualification in virology or immunology is cited as an expert and cannot be questioned. Now lets apply that to any field and especially to positions of "leadership" and "management". We all know people in our own areas of industry that have risen through the ranks and are complete idiots. A position or "qualification" does not an expert make. We have seen time and again throughout this that we have an over abundance of overly titled and under skilled people in these positions.

This especially applies to academia, whereby many if these individuals have never worked in the real world before. And before anyone jumps down my throat, I'm not apply this assessment to all "experts", but there has to be an acknowledged that some are just loons who appear more qualified than they actually are.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

techdiver wrote: »
    I think a massive issue since the start of this is the deference paid to "experts". Anyone with any qualification in virology or immunology is cited as an expert and cannot be questioned. Now lets apply that to any field and especially to positions of "leadership" and "management". We all know people in our own areas of industry that have risen through the ranks and are complete idiots. A position or "qualification" does not an expert make. We have seen time and again throughout this that we have an over abundance of overly titled and under skilled people in these positions.

This especially applies to academia, whereby many if these individuals have never worked in the real world before. And before anyone jumps down my throat, I'm not apply this assessment to all "experts", but there has to be an acknowledged that some are just loons who appear more qualified than they actually are.

True! So tired of ppl repeating conspiracy theories over and over based on YouTube videos & articles published by professors/doctors. Unfortunately they're just human and want their 15 minutes of fame like the rest of us...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,382 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

My local GP has announced that they have rolled through the at risk coherts and are now asking anybody else to register their interest. Unofficially they are basically proceeding to now vaccinate anybody else. Very slick operation for a GP practice to be fair.

Is it a practice with a big GmS list and few private patients I wonder. That would mak€ s€ns€.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That's part of it, but IMHO what's more in play is experts dealing with something seen as new. The same experts would be well qualified and able to give advice on existing diseases, but many wouldn't have the extra brain horsepower to deal with the novel. That requires far more than memory. Plus they're looked up to and expected to know the unknowable.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Vicxas wrote: »
    Any word on that vaccine being produced in Newcastle? Was it Novavax?

They are expected to submit in Q3. They seem to have the same issue as AZ in the US where they are trying to get their EMA studies to be allowed for FDA approval. AZ had to do a a completely new trial in the US or give back the operation warp speed funding. They do say it’s effective though.

Speaking of which AZ should have released their 6 month data from that trial by now. It should have been released a few weeks ago, coincidentally when the time for dosing was reduced in Ireland and Boris said that boosters were being planned… throw in a new study of 3 month booster with AZ, these results will be interesting to say the least. My clinical trial experience has massive red flags raised here.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Is it a practice with a big GmS list and few private patients I wonder. That would mak€ s€ns€.

Yeah, I'd say that's a fair assessment of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭political analyst

Some people who got the first dose in March and were thus meant to have appointments for the second dose haven't been given those appointments because the cyber-attack means that the HSE can't access their details.

Can those people submit the documents they were given to prove they had been given the first dose to their GPs along with all other relevant information about themselves so that they can get the appointments?

It is of critical importance that they get the second dose as soon as possible to protect them against the Delta variant of the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭political analyst

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0611/1227582-covid-longread-fergal-bowers/
    At the end of next week, the HSE hopes to be in a position to say when vaccination registration for people aged 30-39 will begin. This will start with the 35-39 age group.

The recommended reduction of the gap between the first and second dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine from 12 weeks to eight weeks will come into effect, on a graduated basis, from next week. So some people will start to get fully vaccinated faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Any 1980’s babies got an appointment yet? I’m still waiting on my appointment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Actually, the real issue is that we may have 100 experts in a field and 98 of them have a broad consensus on an aspect of Covid, yet 1 of them is invited onto television / radio to discuss with 1 of the 2 experts with a contrarian view. Similarly, media and social media makes it appear as if there is an active debate on the core science of covid and public health approaches when it’s really a ~90:10 conversation.

That’s the real problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Are GPs still getting supplies of the vaccine even after all the vulnerable are done, or are they only using up existing stocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

rang helpline very nice chap, made a new appointment cud be 3 weeks maybe less.

rang helpline very nice chap, made a new appointment cud be 3 weeks maybe less.

Was your first jab through the Mvc or GP?

I’m going to be in same situation and GP only vaccinates every two weeks and may not be able to accommodate me !
    I did notice yday that my portal registration updated to reflect that o had received vaccine one from GP. So I’m hoping/assuming I can go through Mvc for second jab if I have to

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

My husband got his 1st dose of Pfizer’s and when he asked when he’ll be getting 2nd dose they told him that 2nd doses might be pushed out to 6weeks as they are trying to get 1st doses into as many people as possible
    This was PuC in Cork has anyone else been told similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

My husband got his 1st dose of Pfizer’s and when he asked when he’ll be getting 2nd dose they told him that 2nd doses might be pushed out to 6weeks as they are trying to get 1st doses into as many people as possible
    This was PuC in Cork has anyone else been told similar?

Husband and I both vaccinated this week in North-East and told 2nd dose might be in 3 weeks but not later than 4 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Actually, the real issue is that we may have 100 experts in a field and 98 of them have a broad consensus on an aspect of Covid, yet 1 of them is invited onto television / radio to discuss with 1 of the 2 experts with a contrarian view. Similarly, media and social media makes it appear as if there is an active debate on the core science of covid and public health approaches when it’s really a ~90:10 conversation.

That’s the real problem.

100%. The tinfoil hat crowd keep shouting about getting Delores Cahill on a talkshow debating with another expert. To be truly balanced it should be herself and 1 other loony facing off against 8-10 medical experts.

Advertisement