Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

My husband got his 1st dose of Pfizer’s and when he asked when he’ll be getting 2nd dose they told him that 2nd doses might be pushed out to 6weeks as they are trying to get 1st doses into as many people as possible
    This was PuC in Cork has anyone else been told similar?

That would be misinformation from someone who has not got a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

At the end of next week? Shouldn't registration be open mid-week like the other cohorts? Why are they dragging their heels with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

At the end of next week? Shouldn't registration be open mid-week like the other cohorts? Why are they dragging their heels with this?

Cos they are still doing 40+. Opening it too early will just lead to longer wait times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Cos they are still doing 40+. Opening it too early will just lead to longer wait times.

Some centres are vaccinating early 40s. So what then, give them a break until they start 35-39 age group? Like the virus takes a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Pentecost

bazermc wrote: »
    Any 1980’s babies got an appointment yet? I’m still waiting on my appointment

I got mine in the centre during the week but I know of a local doctor who apparently did 250 jabs the other day and any of their patients who are over 18 could get one. Not the first time I've heard about younger people getting it through their GPs either. Ultimately seeing as most over 40s have gotten it or are now getting it I don't have a particular issue with GPs using up whatever supplies they can get. But I might have a different view if I was high risk and was still waiting for mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Husband and I both vaccinated this week in North-East and told 2nd dose might be in 3 weeks but not later than 4 weeks.

Same I was vaccinated on Tues just gone and was told it would be in 28 days give or take a day or so.

Edit: Pfizer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Sizeable % decrease in Pfizer suppliues from July because Q4 deliveries were frontloaded to Q2, but sure we'll be switching the focus to exclusively 2nds in July anyway rather a split with 1st and 2nds.

E3sK_2aWEAAl5G2?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,374 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Some centres are vaccinating early 40s. So what then, give them a break until they start 35-39 age group? Like the virus takes a break.

They can help out with surrounding areas that aren’t as far along and do plenty of second jabs. There is plenty of scope to keep moving without going down the numbers. It could be argued that a few days doing these things would be beneficial to the lists

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

FYI, Mrs Skygord (cohort 4) has got a text for her 2nd AZ vaccine for next Tuesday :-) - so that'll be 11 weeks & 1 day interval between doses. Happy day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There are an awful lot of second shots to do, especially AZ. All centres now seem to have specific vaccine days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Sizeable % decrease in Pfizer suppliues from July because Q4 deliveries were frontloaded to Q2, but sure we'll be switching the focus to exclusively 2nds in July anyway rather a split with 1st and 2nds.

I didn't think the fall would be a big as that. It looks like if you don't have your 1st dose by 1st week of July, you'll be waiting until mid August

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭eoinbn

If accurate then there will be hardly any first doses given in July. Most under 35 will be waiting until August.

However those Pfizer figures have never been accurate. Hopefully the EU have planned ahead and have another agreement to bring the remaining Q4 doses forward as well as front loading the Q3 doses into July and August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Caquas

Pentecost wrote: »
    I got mine in the centre during the week but I know of a local doctor who apparently did 250 jabs the other day and any of their patients who are over 18 could get one. Not the first time I've heard about younger people getting it through their GPs either. Ultimately seeing as most over 40s have gotten it or are now getting it I don't have a particular issue with GPs using up whatever supplies they can get. But I might have a different view if I was high risk and was still waiting for mine.

What about all those older people waiting for their second jab of AZ?

Remember all the fuss about cohorts? They sliced and diced the population into sixteen different cohorts who were going to get inoculated in a precise order based on risk. Then they dumped that and substituted 9 cohorts based largely on age. The teachers and the Guards were threatening to strike when their priority was lost.

https://www.thejournal.ie/vaccine-overhaul-government-ireland-5396168-Mar2021/

Turns out that was all BS. What matters is which vaccine you get. If you got AZ, you're on the slow train. Many younger people with no special risks are now getting J&J . One jab and you’re home and hosed. I got my first jab of AZ six weeks ago, the HSE can’t say when I’ll get my second appointment but it could be late July.

The weird thing is, it’s probably for the best. Most cases now are among the young. Not that the geniuses who cooked up the 16 cohorts had a clue about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Pentecost

The younger people aren't getting AZ so it makes no difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,108 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I didn't think the fall would be a big as that. It looks like if you don't have your 1st dose by 1st week of July, you'll be waiting until mid August

Ah, but what about vaccine stocks?

According to the EU tracker we have 944,806 doses distributed but not yet administered.

image.png

Source: https://vaccinetracker.ecdc.europa.eu/public/extensions/COVID-19/vaccine-tracker.html#national-ref-tab

Caquas wrote: »
    What about all those older people waiting for their second jab of AZ?

Remember all the fuss about cohorts? They sliced and diced the population into sixteen different cohorts who were going to get inoculated in a precise order based on risk. Then they dumped that and substituted 9 cohorts based largely on age. The teachers and the Guards were threatening to strike when their priority was lost.

https://www.thejournal.ie/vaccine-overhaul-government-ireland-5396168-Mar2021/

Turns out that was all BS. What matters is which vaccine you get. If you got AZ, you're on the slow train. Many younger people with no special risks are now getting J&J . One jab and you’re home and hosed. I got my first jab of AZ six weeks ago, the HSE can’t say when I’ll get my second appointment but it could be late July.

The weird thing is, it’s probably for the best. Most cases now are among the young. Not that the geniuses who cooked up the 16 cohorts had a clue about that.

You are pretty exposed to Delta until 2 weeks after your 2nd Az shot and even at that it's 60% coverage against getting symptomatic
    Its way better than last year but very sub optimal
    The only bright side is AstraZeneca with the Alpha variant grew protection over time and the hope is over months it will too with delta
    Thats still sub optimal though and it's also unknown even if it will yet
    100's of 1000's in that boat ,many in vulnerable cohorts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,050 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

You are pretty exposed to Delta until 2 weeks after your 2nd Az shot and even at that it's 60% coverage against getting symptomatic
    The only bright side is AstraZeneca with the Alpha variant grew protection over time and the hope is over months it will too with delta

I guess the point here would be that with a fully vaccinated population (comprising all vaccines), there would be very little Delta variant circulating among the public, so it might not be that important in a couple of months' time whether AZ is 60% or 70% or 80% effective.

Strazdas wrote: »
    I guess the point here would be that with a fully vaccinated population (comprising all vaccines), there would be very little Delta variant circulating among the public, so it might not be that important in a couple of months' time whether AZ is 60% or 70% or 80% effective.

Yup ,my thinking too
    Its just a very valid concern in the interim
    Valid enough in the UK for to delay their next stage for another month

Lumen wrote: »

According to the EU tracker we have 944,806 doses distributed but not yet administered.

image.png

Source: https://vaccinetracker.ecdc.europa.eu/public/extensions/COVID-19/vaccine-tracker.html#national-ref-tab

4 days ago we had 3.1million done, so at current rates we are at 3.3+ as of today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,108 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

4 days ago we had 3.1million done, so at current rates we are at 3.3+ as of today

Hmmm. The only thing worse than no data is bad data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Micky 32 wrote: »
    That is 60% preventing you getting the sniffles. Was Mr Mills eager to talk about the % it prevents you from getting seriously ill and ending up in hospital??

That's a Prof. mills, a professor of immunology. Are you better at interpreting papers than he is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

That's a Prof. mills, a professor of immunology. Are you better at interpreting papers than he is?

What are you waffling on about? Maybe i’m not better at interpreting papers than he is but i’m quite clued in about efficacy figures and facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Caquas

It seems the political pressure to start vaccinating overrode any consideration of the merits of the various vaccines. The absurdity of giving AZ to high risk cohorts is evident now - they will be inoculated after low risk age groups and even when they get their second jobs, their protection will be lower.

I don’t know if other countries managed this better and I always felt that what mattered was getting everyone inoculated, not the sequence in which they got their jabs. But you would never have guessed that listening to our politicians and NEPHET.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

Over a 7 day period we are doing top end 280k vaccines. We've got 16 days supply in stock(likely 19days but let's go lowest estimated numbers), capacity is an issue. I really don't get why no questions are being asked about why we've stagnated at 250-280k per week

Yes the roll out has been good until now but there hasn't been the expected ramping in June as promised. June should have been pinnacle month for vaccines and potentially early July. That hasn't happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Caquas wrote: »
    It seems the political pressure to start vaccinating overrode any consideration of the merits of the various vaccines. The absurdity of giving AZ to high risk cohorts is evident now - they will be inoculated after low risk age groups and even when they get their second jobs, their protection will be lower.

I don’t know if other countries managed this better and I always felt that what mattered was getting everyone inoculated, not the sequence in which they got their jabs. But you would never have guessed that listening to our politicians and NEPHET.

Politics didn't really play any part in it, the decisions were all medically driven, data at at the time lead to the decisions at the time, the authorities on all the vaccines still advise that the best vaccine is the one you are offered first and the real world data supports this (if you look beyond the newspaper headlines and scaremongers, Mills should know better than not clarifying the difference between efficacy and prevention of severe COVID, but he has had form in this area).
    duffman13 wrote: »
    Over a 7 day period we are doing top end 280k vaccines. We've got 16 days supply in stock(likely 19days but let's go lowest estimated numbers), capacity is an issue. I really don't get why no questions are being asked about why we've stagnated at 250-280k per week

Yes the roll out has been good until now but there hasn't been the expected ramping in June as promised. June should have been pinnacle month for vaccines and potentially early July. That hasn't happened

It's very hard to tell without the daily updates right now, there is a significant amount of second doses due which will skew the vaccine supplies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

Just got 2nd dose appointment for AZ 5 days before its due. Moved from Citywest to UCD so maybe getting a move on now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCvqdB2oeb8

Listen to this for a bit of perspective.

Tim Spector in UK.

His attitude is balanced and logical.

Your attitude seems a little knee jerk.

AZ is and was always slower to build immunity (1st dose/2nd dose etc) than Pfzier.

Everyone needs to be careful until fully vaccinated (two doses) irrespective of vaccine.

AZ in real world studies does catch up with Pfzier.

Real world study published mere weeks ago showed tiny differences, in his mind statistically immaterial.

If you look after yourself (exercise/good diet/enough sleep/dont abuse alchohol/dont smoke/dont take drugs etc./not overweight) then you have little to worry about.

He suggests the above in bold is far far more important than different brands of vaccines you have got when fully vaccinated.

Focus on your health.

Get your second shot.

After that the people who get hospitalised of covid or die of covid with two doses of any vaccine are incredibly vulnerable people.

No vaccine will save everyone.

All people with underlying conditions will have worries fully dosed no matter what vaccine.

Some benefits of AZ may be longer term t cell immunity than Pfzier.

This will take months if not years to be sure, but the science would lend itself to this idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Polar101

Lumen wrote: »

If you look at the overview page at..
    https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/covid-19/vaccine-roll-out-overview
    ..It shows "no report" for the past three weeks in the Ireland column. And the number of administered vaccines is around 2.6 million, which we know isn't the correct number. So it stands to reason there is no stock of a nearly million doses, but a lot of it has already been adminstered (considering we are doing up to 300k a week).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭eoinbn

duffman13 wrote: »

Promised by who? People in the media? It has been obvious since the middle of April that the Q2 target wasn't going to be hit yet the media are still 'blaming' supply issues. Even if we had unlimited J&J and AZ we have hardly anyone to give it to as we have restricted it to certain age groups. For some reason people can't seem to get their head around that fact.

As for why we have so much Pfizer in stock...
    If the tweet in IRISHSPORTSGUY post is correct then we are going back to ~200k doses per week of Pfizer in July. That means we cannot give more than 200k first doses per week currently as won't be able to make second doses in July from supply alone.
    Once in July we can start using our stockpile to keep first doses ticking over, but still at a much slower rate than currently.
    We could use some of it, but we cannot use all with our current 4 week gap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭political analyst

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/taoiseach-says-70-of-adults-fully-vaccinated-by-end-of-july-1139568.html
    Some 70 per cent of adults in Ireland will have been fully vaccinated against Covid-19 by the end of July, Taoiseach Micheál Martin has said.

Speaking on Newstalk radio, Mr Martin acknowledged the initial target of 82 per cent of adults with a first dose by the end of June was not going to be met.

“I think we are in a good position. I think the target we are aiming for is by the end of July – and this is a target dependent on supply – is that we will have 70 per cent fully vaccinated.”

The recent decision to shorten the interval between AstraZeneca doses would help the HSE hit the new target, he said, which was in line with where Europe “wants to be by the end of July.”

I guess this means all adults will be fully vaccinated before the end of the school holidays. Will vaccines be approved for children in this country by September?

Advertisement