Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

rm212 wrote: »
    Ah ****e, I hope I’m not in for a week of feeling like crap. Thanks for sharing your experience with it.

I had friends who had AZ and had no symptoms or just one day . Best wishes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭JRant

seamus wrote: »
    Yeah, the Irish Times led with a story saying that 35-39 would open Monday (today). Colm Henry quickly came out and said that they were looking at the numbers and would make a decision on opening for 35-39 towards the end of this week.
    So everyone is assuming that means Friday.

Late 30s here myself and seeing more and more people who are my age or slightly younger getting vaccinated by GP overspill. So I'm champing at the bit.

Yeah, they know the 40-44 cohort is a large one to try get through so are rightly taking their time before announcing the next age group.

I've heard a few people get calls from their GP in the area who would be in the younger age group. I haven't set foot in my GP's practice in years so I would be completely off their radar. Happy enough to wait my turn. It's not like I'm going anywhere :)

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

Has anyone on here had the 2nd dose of Moderna yet? and any side effects

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

JRant wrote: »
    I've heard a few people get calls from their GP in the area who would be in the younger age group. I haven't set foot in my GP's practice in years so I would be completely off their radar. Happy enough to wait my turn. It's not like I'm going anywhere :)

Jaysus are we that bad for the “who you know” piece in this country that it’s extending to doctors!

I really hope not. They should be just working off a list instead of trying to remember who they saw last week.

Jaysus are we that bad for the “who you know” piece in this country that it’s extending to doctors!

I really hope not. They should be just working off a list instead of trying to remember who they saw last week.

It is most definitely going on . I am hearing it over and over .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Why are UK slowing down their vaccine drive especially now with the delta surge ?

To be honest, from what I've heard it's GPs just looking to use up additional vaccines left over and I've no problem with that.

This is Ireland, so it's always about who you know :)

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Why are UK slowing down their vaccine drive especially now with the delta surge ?

They are focusing on second doses. Not really slowing down per say but trying to get as many second doses done as they can at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I think you might still have issues there.

Your PPS number is the unique identifier.
    I dont think you have have two appointments on the one PPS number. You will probably just get an error filling in the registration form.

And then the DOB is to verify when you arrive that your ID matches with the PPS number thats booked.

Having said that, they might see reason when you explain it, but the guy i was beside wasnt getting much action from them. By the time i left, it was looking like he was having to go home to wait for a new text.

I'll see how I get on later in the week when my age group opens. There was a thread about a week or two ago about someone making a mistake with their phone number when registering. All they did was re-entered the correct number and different email. So not sure how it works with the ppsn part of things.

Here's the thread
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058183305/1/#post117353586

Still waiting on an appointment for the wrong info anyways. I'll sit and wait a few more days and see how it works out registering again. Otherwise, I will have to make a phone call to the HSE helpline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

To be honest, from what I've heard it's GPs just looking to use up additional vaccines left over and I've no problem with that.

That’s complete BS imo.

Glad to see the doses not go to waste but this who you know bollix is not right.

So just cause I don’t need to go to the doctor normally I’m not top of the list.

Should be a lottery system. Here’s 100 names. Throw a dart see where it lands, boom.

• Advertisement

It is , but it shouldn’t be . Its wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭embraer170

Also a good point and shows how this is a very tricky issue both ethically and from a pure healthcare perspective. Though I'd highlight German experiences, where rapid antigen tests are widely used, the predominant rollout is/was age-based, but there is a shift to demand-led rollout, and there was comparatively early access to a proven vaccine that could be administered if a qualified doctor thought it was appropriate despite side effect risks.

It's worth heeding this as we make our way out of the pandemic while case numbers are still dropping slowly.

Yes, good points. The demand led approach seems to be working with those at a higher exposure level (because of jobs, social interests etc.) sometimes going out of their way to find a doctor with spare vaccines.

Testing is also at a totally different level in Germany. I was in Berlin recently and people are being offered incentives to get tested: a free FFP2 mark, bottle of disinfected and ice cream (probably a sign of overly generous government funding of tests).

Germany's 7 day incidence rate is now 16.6!

TomSweeney wrote: »

They're not - daily doses is pretty constant - just a lot of people to get second doses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Late 30s here myself and seeing more and more people who are my age or slightly younger getting vaccinated by GP overspill. So I'm champing at the bit.

In the same boat, I know two healthy 38yo got it from gp as they had plenty spare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, they know the 40-44 cohort is a large one to try get through so are rightly taking their time before announcing the next age group.
    It's not an especially large group. Every year has about 60,000 people, give or take 10%. They opened the 40-49 list while they had barely started on the 50-54, so I think they have a relatively large backlog that they'd prefer to burn down.
    There was also a suggestion that takeup was a bit slower in the 40-49 age group, so they probably want to get as many of them done as possible before moving on.
    Should be a lottery system. Here’s 100 names. Throw a dart see where it lands, boom.
    Sure, but it's the administration of that lottery system, how does that work? Where do the 100 names come from? They all have to be local, appropriately aged, and not already vaccinated. Who's going to compile that list? Not the GP.

It is unfair that just knowing the GP gets you a vaccine, but it is the most efficient use at a population level. I have no real issue with, "This person is in here with chronic illness all the time, isn't in cohort 7, but I have some vaccines left over".

It's the phone call from your cousin who's a GP 50km away and has set aside a dose for you, that boils my piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭twiglet24

Yes - had mine on Saturday. I felt ropey (tired and nauseous) yesterday and have been getting headaches and joint pain (I have Rheumatoid Arthritis though, so think that contributes), and my arm has been sore and very red and swollen since Saturday evening. It is gradually improving though and paracetamol keeps the headaches under control.
    Feeling a good bit better today. 😊

twiglet24 wrote: »
    Yes - had mine on Saturday. I felt ropey (tired and nauseous) yesterday and have been getting headaches and joint pain (I have Rheumatoid Arthritis though, so think that contributes), and my arm has been sore and very red and swollen since Saturday evening. It is gradually improving though and paracetamol keeps the headaches under control.

Sorry, this was in reply to the person who asked about the 2nd Moderna jab! I messed up quoting!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

Sorry, this was in reply to the person who asked about the 2nd Moderna jab! I messed up quoting!

Ah yes I guessed it was replying to my post,glad you are better today

At least you know you got enough vaccine now ! I know you were worried about leakage . Glad to see it is working

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    At least you know you got enough vaccine now ! I know you were worried about leakage . Glad to see it is working
    Haha - I know - I was never so relieved to get side effects! ��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

BTW, if you get a leftover dose, are you risking having invalid vaccination in case the next time your GP has another left over dose for your 2nd jab is outside of the acceptable "time window"?

...or a leftover dose will get you a guaranteed 2nd dose just in time when you need it? This would make the "leftover" term a bit misleading in my view.

(In any case, I think it's a good thing to try and vaccinate as many ppl as possible via all possible channels.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

39 year old friend, managed to register as she's turning 40 later in the year, vaccinated last Thursday in Aviva, which I thought was quite quick.

Know more than a few people in their 30s who skipped up North for Pfizer, then realised they're stretching it to 3 months between doses, who are now planning on registering here to get their second dose down south, as their first republic dose, if that makes sense. They'll likely just fill in a date 3 weeks after on their vaccine card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

xboxdad wrote: »
    BTW, if you get a leftover dose, are you risking having invalid vaccination in case the next time your GP has another left over dose for your 2nd jab is outside of the acceptable "time window"?

...or a leftover dose will get you a guaranteed 2nd dose just in time when you need it? This would make the "leftover" term a bit misleading in my view.
    You'll be guaranteed the second dose. The GP will get the same delivery again in 4 weeks time and will call back all the same people he vaccinated that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

You'll be guaranteed the second dose. The GP will get the same delivery again in 4 weeks time and will call back all the same people he vaccinated that day.

Ah, then it's only the 1st one that's an "innocent" leftover dose. The 2nd one is a liability on the system that makes you jump the queue, guaranteed.
    In any case it makes more sense than making invalid vaccinations by trying to keep it fair for the 2nd dose too.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

You are pretty exposed to Delta until 2 weeks after your 2nd Az shot and even at that it's 60% coverage against getting symptomatic
    Its way better than last year but very sub optimal
    The only bright side is AstraZeneca with the Alpha variant grew protection over time and the hope is over months it will too with delta
    Thats still sub optimal though and it's also unknown even if it will yet
    100's of 1000's in that boat ,many in vulnerable cohorts

AZ against Delta is expected to grow to c80-90%. 60% mentioned is at day 21.
    Its a slow burner as is known.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

OwlsZat wrote: »
    Is there a theory for that? I'd be surprised if that's the case. Same t memory cells can't see the logic?

Think there is a pre-print published about this, will see if I can dig out. Mac n Chise twitter account had something pinned I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Philipmcnill

Is Pfizer safe? Cannot contact my doctor and I take Trmpfya for skin psoriasis. Anyone know anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Was talking to a friend today whose sister works for HSE. She was saying that despite the EMA approval for Pfizer in Ages 12-15 that it is not yet approved in Ireland for those ages and is only approved in Ireland for 16-18 if they are very/high risk. She was also saying that Ireland may not approve any Vaccines for general use in under 18s at all.

I understand that not every Parent want their kids to be vaccinated but I really thought that there would certainly be an opt-in for Parents to have their kids vaccinated.

Has anyone read anything on this ?

Also, what are the UK and other EU Countries doing on Ages 12-15 and 16-18?
    I know that the US are vaccinating all those age groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Was talking to a friend today whose sister works for HSE. She was saying that despite the EMA approval for Pfizer in Ages 12-15 that it is not yet approved in Ireland for those ages and is only approved in Ireland for 16-18 if they are very/high risk. She was also saying that Ireland may not approve any Vaccines for general use in under 18s at all.

I understand that not every Parent want their kids to be vaccinated but I really thought that there would certainly be an opt-in for Parents to have their kids vaccinated.

I'd imagine if the US are vaccinating those aged 12 and over we'll do the same. To not do so would be both incomprehensible and idiotic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Is Pfizer safe? Cannot contact my doctor and I take Trmpfya for skin psoriasis. Anyone know anything?

It doesn't look like there's an issue, but contact another doctor to be sure:

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/9587/smpc#gref

4.5 Interaction with other medicinal products and other forms of interaction
    Interactions with CYP450 substrates

In a Phase 1 study in subjects with moderate to severe plaque psoriasis, changes in systemic exposures (Cmax and AUCinf) of midazolam, S-warfarin, omeprazole, dextromethorphan, and caffeine after a single dose of guselkumab were not clinically relevant, indicating that drug interactions between guselkumab and substrates of various CYP enzymes (CYP3A4, CYP2C9, CYP2C19, CYP2D6, and CYP1A2) are unlikely. There is no need for dose adjustment when co-administering guselkumab and CYP450 substrates.
    SusanC10 wrote: »

This is from the HSE, expect NIAC to approve relatively soon but not an issue at the moment as we're probably at least 6 weeks out from having the supply to start vaccinating them. The sister's friend who works for the HSE sounds like they were talking through their hoop.
    HSE wrote:
    The European Medicines Agency (EMA) has approved Comirnaty® (Pfizer/BioNTech) to be used in those
    aged 12-15. Previously it was only approved for use in those aged 16 and over.
    They reviewed trial data which is summarized in the next section. During the clinical trial the vaccine was
    found to be 100% effective against symptomatic disease. The side effect profile was similar to those
    experienced by adults (most being mild to moderate).
    Currently the National Immunisation Advisory Committee (NIAC) have not issued recommendations on the
    use of Pfizer vaccine in 12-15 year olds and so Pfizer vaccine should continue to be given to those aged 16
    years and above in Ireland.

Advertisement