Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

I'd imagine if the US are vaccinating those aged 12 and over we'll do the same. To not do so would be both incomprehensible and idiotic.

I hope you are right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭eoinbn

I'd imagine if the US are vaccinating those aged 12 and over we'll do the same. To not do so would be both incomprehensible and idiotic.

Massive over simplification. As far as we know healthy kids are virtually immune to covid so the only reason to vaccinate them is to protect older people who are already very well protected by been vaccinated.

Also western kids getting vaccinated takes vaccines away from older people in other countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Was talking to a friend today whose sister works for HSE. She was saying that despite the EMA approval for Pfizer in Ages 12-15 that it is not yet approved in Ireland for those ages and is only approved in Ireland for 16-18 if they are very/high risk. She was also saying that Ireland may not approve any Vaccines for general use in under 18s at all.

I understand that not every Parent want their kids to be vaccinated but I really thought that there would certainly be an opt-in for Parents to have their kids vaccinated.

Has anyone read anything on this ?

Also, what are the UK and other EU Countries doing on Ages 12-15 and 16-18?
    I know that the US are vaccinating all those age groups.
    No news means that NIAC have not made a decision. Apart from the high risk groups there is no urgency to it, especially as we have quite a way to go with the adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭JRant

seamus wrote: »
    It's not an especially large group. Every year has about 60,000 people, give or take 10%. They opened the 40-49 list while they had barely started on the 50-54, so I think they have a relatively large backlog that they'd prefer to burn down.
    There was also a suggestion that takeup was a bit slower in the 40-49 age group, so they probably want to get as many of them done as possible before moving on.

Sure, but it's the administration of that lottery system, how does that work? Where do the 100 names come from? They all have to be local, appropriately aged, and not already vaccinated. Who's going to compile that list? Not the GP.

It is unfair that just knowing the GP gets you a vaccine, but it is the most efficient use at a population level. I have no real issue with, "This person is in here with chronic illness all the time, isn't in cohort 7, but I have some vaccines left over".

It's the phone call from your cousin who's a GP 50km away and has set aside a dose for you, that boils my piss.

I've seen that comment a few times recently, most notably on RTE just this lunchtime but no numbers were provided to back up that claim. I would have assumed that the large percentage of second doses being done now has slowed down new first doses and this is why the next cohort is being held back a little.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

mollymae12 wrote: »
    Hi, I texted NEW 9 days ago on my vaccine appointment, which was scheduled for May 20th at the Aviva. I still have not got a new date. Has anyone else been waiting this long for a reschedule?

I would also like to know the answer to this one. We texted "new". Anyone know how long it is before we get a new appointment?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭bullpost

Is Pfizer safe? Cannot contact my doctor and I take Trmpfya for skin psoriasis. Anyone know anything?

Just anecdotal but might be worth mentioning, was told by a friend recently about his uncle who broke out in a rash which was getting worse two weeks after he got the pfizer vaccine. So check with your GP as has already been mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Vicxas wrote: »
    Any word on that vaccine being produced in Newcastle? Was it Novavax?

late trials reported today

Novavax two-dose vaccine showed 93 per cent efficacy against the variants of concern and the emerging variants of interest, which represented the vast majority of cases. It was 91 per cent effective for people in high risk groups, such as the over-65s and those suffering from underlying conditions.

It is 100% effective in protecting against moderate and severe disease

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-novavax-jab-100-effective-in-protecting-against-moderate-and-severe-disease-trial-results-suggest-12332248

eoinbn wrote: »
    Massive over simplification. As far as we know healthy kids are virtually immune to covid so the only reason to vaccinate them is to protect older people who are already very well protected by been vaccinated.

Also western kids getting vaccinated takes vaccines away from older people in other countries.

Massive over simplification.

The effectiveness of vaccines is reduced the older and more vulnerable you are. To achieve levels of immunity in society that will prevent those vulnerabilities being exposed a significant potion of those under 18 will also need to be vaccinated.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

forestgirl wrote: »
    Has anyone on here had the 2nd dose of Moderna yet? and any side effects
    2 good mates in the US had Moderna.
    One was fine. The other spent a day in bed with fever and chills.

Is Pfizer safe? Cannot contact my doctor and I take Trmpfya for skin psoriasis. Anyone know anything?
    Try researching information online about this issue;

https://www.papaa.org/news/the-headlines/covid-19-vaccination/

The effectiveness of vaccines is reduced the older and more vulnerable you are. To achieve levels of immunity in society that will prevent those vulnerabilities being exposed a significant potion of those under 18 will also need to be vaccinated.

It's going to be a tough sell to have parents get their children under 10 vaccinated.

• Advertisement

JRant wrote: »
    It's going to be a tough sell to have parents get their children under 10 vaccinated.

Why?
    Age Vaccine Number of Injections Where
    2 Months
    6 in 1 + MenB* + PCV +Rotavirus

3 + Oral vaccine

GP
    4 Months
    6 in 1 + MenB* + Rotavirus

2 + Oral Vaccine

GP
    6 Months
    6 in 1 + PCV + MenC

3 GP
    12 Months
    MMR + MenB

2 GP
    13 Months
    Hib/MenC + PCV

2 GP
    Junior Infants" '

4 in 1 + MMR

2 School

https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/pubinfo/currentschedule.html

Parents are well used to their children getting vaccinated

Why?

Fully aware of the current vaccination program for children, as my own are fully up to date on theirs. All the diseases mentioned there are actually harmful to young children, COVID is not.

JRant wrote: »
    Fully aware of the current vaccination program for children, as my own are fully up to date on theirs. All the diseases mentioned there are actually harmful to young children, COVID is not.

HPV is one given to children that they will never be exposed to until the are older.

Many of the viruses on the schedule are ones that are more serious when older.

Building up immunity to SARS-CoV-2 in childhood is of benefit for the individuals future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Yes, there are loads of factors to consider - hence why it is nonsense to say that if the US start vaccinating then so should we.
    Another factor - we are likely to have far more adults vaccinated than they US will. It will also be more uniform. It might not be required for us to vaccinate kids to reach here immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Why?

People are well used to those vaccines, personally I would be cautious with mRNA use in young children for no other reason than it has no track record. It hasn't existed very long so can't have been well tested in children. If Covid was a serious risk to them then it would be a case of balancing that risk and perhaps I'd be more likely to get them vaccinated. I think there will be a lot of parents (in under 12's in particular) sitting on the fence for a while with this one.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

HPV is one given to children that they will never be exposed to until the are older.

Many of the viruses on the schedule are ones that are more serious when older.

Building up immunity to SARS-CoV-2 in childhood is of benefit for the individuals future

My children are all fully vaxxed and get their flu vax. They will get the HPV vax as I have suffered an awful time over HPV and I know they will be exposed to it as adults, however once exposed a vaccine is no use to them. This is not the case with covid however and they won't be getting a vaccine when I have seen children with CysFib sail through covid with no Symptoms even. Will some children get a bad dose and end up in hospital, yes, just like some kids get bad bronchitis and need a trip to a and e for nebulizers. The risk of covid in children is not worth them getting a vaccine. Not to mention they spent this year in school and have not got it (we are one of the highest infected areas in dublin) Weve been on a LOT of public transport, they wear no masks and tbh they're disgusting boys who although sanitise in school, they lick the windows of Dublin bus.However, I would not discourage others from vaccinating their children as that will protect mine too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Ms2011

rm212 wrote: »
    Absolutely dying today after getting 2nd dose of AstraZeneca yesterday. Horrible brain fog and lightheadedness, sick stomach, feeling absolutely shattered. Needless to say, I’ve called in sick.

Anyone else have a similar reaction to AZ dose 2?
    iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I had a day of that brain fog feeling and tiredness . Then three days with a frontal headache . On day 5 i got up and was dizzy and dizzy on and off all day

Due my second one on Friday, had a rotten headache after and some dizziness, not looking forward to a repeat performance :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I would not discourage others from vaccinating their children as that will protect mine too.

What a selfish attitude

What a selfish attitude

Not at all. I'm fully vaxxed and protecting others who refuse the vaccine. This is part of herd immunity.

Also, my children receiving their mmr for example is.protecting other people's children who aren't allowed the MMR because it 'Causes Autism

What a selfish attitude
    It was a very reasoned post and it is a personal choice even if you feel a stirring of outrage about it. When we get to that point there will be many parents making such decisions about children that are not yours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Also, my children receiving their mmr for example is.protecting other people's children who aren't allowed the MMR because it 'Causes Autism

That claim has been debunked decades ago. The doctor who made the claim (based on less than 20 subjects) has lost his license.

is_that_so wrote: »
    It was a very reasoned post and it is a personal choice even if you feel a stirring of outrage about it. When we get to that point there will be many parents making such decisions about children that are not yours.

And if I was to discourage other parents sure then I'd be an anti vax loonatic, who literally do exactly that. When in reality I'm making a personal decision for my children.

Tenger wrote: »
    That claim has been debunked decades ago. The doctor who made the claim (based on less than 20 subjects) has lost his license.

Yes I know, I don't believe Vaccines cause autism at all sorry I did put " to show my sarcasm. As I say my kids have all their vaccines, I've even paid to have the eldest 2 MenB vax as it was not on the schedule for them at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

is_that_so wrote: »

Hoping that others get their children vaxxed in order to protect your own children is the definition of selfishness. It is what it is

Tenger wrote: »
    Sure, but there are still those pushing that line and persuading some parents that it is true.

Hoping that others get their children vaxxed in order to protect your own children is the definition of selfishness. It is what it is
    Well, it's one line out of a fairly long detailed post but if that's what you got from it fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,804 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Haven't been following thread lately so apologies if covered already but has there been any official announcement yet from NIAC or HSE on what vaccines people under 50 will be getting? Guess decision would be needed fairly soon with registering of people in 40s.

I am not hoping others will or wont nor will I actively encourage others to. I will not discourage either. I know what herd immunity is but it's each parents own choice. The benefits do not out weigh the risks, however if at age 12 13 14 any of my children said they wanted to get it I'd book them straight in.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Haven't been following thread lately so apologies if covered already but has there been any official announcement yet from NIAC or HSE on what vaccines people under 50 will be getting? Guess decision would be needed fairly soon with registering of people in 40s.
    AZ is really for second shots and the very small J&J totals look like it will just be over 50s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

So many people in their 30’s are getting contacted by GP’s with ‘spare’ vaccine doses…really wish they’d open up 35-39, at least to avoid more people trying to get it done through the back door of the local who the GP knows system.

Advertisement