Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Caquas wrote: »
    The Irish Mail’s front page story today is about those waiting for a second dose of AZ

Linked to fears of the Delta variant

The same RTÉ have been whipping up the frenzy on AZ.

What is different in Ireland v UK is that we broadly followed recommendations on the dosing regime of both Pfizer and AZ.

Arising from the Delta variant, the timeframe between shots for AZ has been shortened. I can understand why people would be frustrated now in terms of AZ and hopefully supplies will allow that acceleration to happen.

I should add that I have empathy with anyone who is worried about not being vaccinated after one dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Any news on vaccinating those in group 7, the high risk group? They are very concerned with the Delta variant, so how are they still putting us off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Any news on vaccinating those in group 7, the high risk group? They are very concerned with the Delta variant, so how are they still putting us off?

It is a disgrace. I suggest follow up with your GP. If GP not doing it ask for a referral. If they refuse then change GP.

I would suggests following up with your GP. Group 7 are being vaccinated, by GP's.

My own wife qualifies as group 7 but heard nothing from GP despite a couple of requests. It appears some GP's are very proactive in getting as many of thier patients as possible the vaccine, while other dont want the hassle of large vaccination clinics. Thankfully she has appointment at MVC for age based vaccine on Saturday(40)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Some of those might have underlying conditions that are not obvious to the general public .
    I know lots of 20 year olds that fall into that category , and they wouldn't tell their mates that that is why they are getting their shot.

I know two very well both in the 20's who definetly have no underlying conditions who were vaccinated by their GP .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It is a disgrace. I suggest follow up with your GP. If GP not doing it ask for a referral. If they refuse then change GP.
    There is a planned pathway say the HSE, as they said a few weeks ago. The ransomware attack saw to it being deferred but they also said something will happen very shortly. Not sure about the jumping GP approach, some may be very good in normal times, just not capable of dealing with this, through size, interest or ability to organize.

is_that_so wrote: »
    There is a planned pathway say the HSE, as they said a few weeks ago. The ransomware attack saw to it being deferred but they also said something will happen very shortly. Not sure about the jumping GP approach, some may be very good in normal times, just not capable of dealing with this, through size, interest or ability to organize.

By the time they sort it the vast majority will have registered online and got it through their age group .What happened with cohort 7 is nothing short of a disgrace that has to be accepted and addressed or it will happen again in the future . A mistake made because of various circumstances but a mistake nonetheless and should be now looked at and corrected for future needs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Caquas wrote: »
    The Irish Mail’s front page story today is about those waiting for a second dose of AZ

Linked to fears of the Delta variant
    This is what you get when you announce a graduated reduction in the gap of AZ, people expect the 8 weeks now and react accordingly. Amazing how many people feel the need to use the emotive "forgotten" in all of this. There is a very large AZ delivery expected by the end of the month so they can be "unforgotten".

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Why does the UK seem to be the only western country badly affected by the Delta variant?

Is it an inherent weakness in the AstraZeneca vaccine?
    -Lots of business links between the two.
    -Massive Indian population in the UK. With multiple flights per day to/from India from several airports in the UK.
    -UK Govt not putting a ban on travel from India in the hopes of getting a trade deal. (having already banned travel from Pakistan and Bangladesh)
    -UK focus on massive surge in 1st dose while stretching out the gap until the 2nd dose.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I know two very well both in the 20's who definetly have no underlying conditions who were vaccinated by their GP .

I know a friend of my wife's in her late 30's who 10 years ago had hypertension during pregnancy, but has been perfectly fit and healthy since, who's GP put her down for a high risk dose due to pre-existing hypertension, Some GP's are trying to get as many of their patients on the list as possible by whatever means they can, while some are only doing the very high risk as the dont want the hassle. I have no problem with GP's getting as many as they can however they can. They are doing the best by their patients and every dose delivered is a step closer to the end. Everyone who needs one is getting one in the next few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Buddy of mine, same age as me (under 30), no underlying conditions, got his first Pfizer dose last week. Not sure why but era, I don't really mind at all.

Just curious as to how the bugger got it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

So a few days ago several papers said that registration will open for 30-39 this week.

However in the mean time in a staff update Paul Reid says he doesnt know when it will open.

https://healthservice.hse.ie/staff/news/coronavirus/covid-vaccine-rollout-update-11-june.html

Talk about mixed messages....

I know a friend of my wife's in her late 30's who 10 years ago had hypertension during pregnancy, but has been perfectly fit and healthy since, who's GP put her down for a high risk dose due to pre-existing hypertension, Some GP's are trying to get as many of their patients on the list as possible by whatever means they can, while some are only doing the very high risk as the dont want the hassle. I have no problem with GP's getting as many as they can however they can. They are doing the best by their patients and every dose delivered is a step closer to the end. Everyone who needs one is getting one in the next few weeks

I have absolutely no problem with that if they have their cohort 4 and 7 sorted .That is the huge issue not being addressed

• Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Buddy of mine, same age as me (under 30), no underlying conditions, got his first Pfizer dose last week. Not sure why but era, I don't really mind at all.

Just curious as to how the bugger got it :pac:

Does the vaccine portal actually *stop* someone outside of the current cohort from registering for a vaccine? ie if I put in my DOB (early 30s) will it kick me out and say "sorry we're only accepting registrations from these dates etc", or will it let someone go ahead?

I've heard of people who were able to register without issue before outside of their cohort, but don't know if it was updated since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

It's always going to happen unfortunately with vaccines being used out of turn. Mates mother works in GP surgery and is scheduling people in. Most of her family have been done the basis of no shows. He said they are doing 200 doses in a clinic with between 10 and 20 failing to turn up. They've a reserve list of 20 and she said they've often struggled to get 10 so anyone they can get after the reserve list is fair game to not waste a vaccine. I was initially a bit annoyed by this but its fair enough.

On the flip of that my wife is Cohort 7, took 6 weeks for her own GP to finally order more vaccines and give her an appointment. A large surgery and they've only being doing about 50 or 60 vaccines every two weeks but everyone who gets them are in need of them.

I'd much prefer surgery 1s approach of getting as many done as possible. Cohort 4 & 7 almost done in one surgery but people done out of turn not to waste vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Does the vaccine portal actually *stop* someone outside of the current cohort from registering for a vaccine? ie if I put in my DOB (early 30s) will it kick me out and say "sorry we're only accepting registrations from these dates etc", or will it let someone go ahead?

I've heard of people who were able to register without issue before outside of their cohort, but don't know if it was updated since.

Good question! Not sure myself!

I only met him in passing last night as I was leaving work so I didn't ask him too much. He could've gotten his through his GP, dunno :)

Got my 2nd dose of AZ yesterday in UCD after a first in Citywest in March. UCD wasn't as efficient but still an hour from start to finish which wasn't too bad. A lot more relaxed in UCD too which was good. Pretty much 90% of the people there were Healthcare workers between 10 and 12 weeks since first vaccination so look like a drive to get 2nd doses done.

A slight headache this morning but nothing in comparison to dose one sweats and chills:)

It will tell you that you aren't eligible at this time. You can try yourself though, take two mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I presume it will let you register but it won’t get you a jab any quicker and you will have to wait your turn .
    The reason they ask people to wait for correct age group is to prevent the system being overwhelmed.
    It’s really pointless registering before your age group is called .
    I know a few people are the getting the jab from GPs you have spare vaccines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

It stops you registering.
    First screen asks for DOB. If it's earlier than 1981 it doesn't let you go further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

So a few days ago several papers said that registration will open for 30-39 this week.

However in the mean time in a staff update Paul Reid says he doesnt know when it will open.

https://healthservice.hse.ie/staff/news/coronavirus/covid-vaccine-rollout-update-11-june.html

No mixed messaging here - there was never an official statement given about registration opening this week, those reports in newspapers saying 30-39 came from anonymous 'sources'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

There's no mixed messages, it was the papers thinking they were smart and predicting when the next category would open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Ignore the papers, go directly to the source for information, the papers are woeful at the moment.

Mills was on the radio this morning putting fear into people about the adenovirus vaccine vector with the take away being that the second shot of AZ was less effective then the first :confused:

That just isn't true and they've conflated immunity to the adenovirus itself (which could happen after many doses, they're not sure yet but it's more than 2 and they can vary the adenovirus anyway) vs. a 2 dose vaccine regimen that has a very proven high efficacy and effectiveness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭mossie

Got second Pfizer yesterday slightly tired this morning but nothing major. Arm less sore this time than first time around. Otherwise all fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭larchielads

Lookin for more of an uptake in that age group? How long does that go on while other people in the younger categories are left waiting and longer exposed to covid cos Johnny and Mary in their 40's can't be bothered to take the vaccine? Roll it out and be done. The people in their 40's can still register if they want to.
    Government givin out about the hoards of people gathering outdoors on a sunny day but yet hold up the roll out to the people who are doing the gathering. Vaccinate em and let them gather

https://healthservice.hse.ie/staff/n...e-11-june.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Lookin for more of an uptake in that age group? How long does that go on while other people in the younger categories are left waiting and longer exposed to covid cos Johnny and Mary in their 40's can't be bothered to take the vaccine? Roll it out and be done. The people in their 40's can still register if they want to.
    Government givin out about the hoards of people gathering outdoors on a sunny day but yet hold up the roll out to the people who are doing the gathering. Vaccinate em and let them gather

There just isn't the vaccine supply to do that at the moment, take up of the vaccine has been very high (which is good) which means it will take longer to get to the younger age groups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

mossie wrote: »
    Got second Pfizer yesterday slightly tired this morning but nothing major. Arm less sore this time than first time around. Otherwise all fine.

How long was that since your first?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Lookin for more of an uptake in that age group?

It's an odd way of phrasing it when he could just have said that they're still working their way through the current groups and want to clear them down further before committing to the next group. There's loads of people in the 40-44 group awaiting notification of an appointment.

https://healthservice.hse.ie/staff/n...e-11-june.html

I said it once, I'll say it again.

I'm 40 and I haven't even gotten an appointment yet. You'll be waiting a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭celt262

ixoy wrote: »
    It's an odd way of phrasing it when he could just have said that they're still working their way through the current groups and want to clear them down further before committing to the next group. There's loads of people in the 40-44 group awaiting notification of an appointment.

Yep i'm waiting and away a few days towards end of next week and knowing my luck that's when i will get it for !

Advertisement