Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

What's going on with Kingston Mills lately? He seems to have a real bee in his bonnet over AZ. Did he not see the PHE report yesterday evening, which categorically stated that the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine is 92% effective against hospitalisation after 2 doses.

I think he's had a bee in his bonnet about AZ all along. He's in the 60-69 cohort himself and the morning he was going for his first AZ shot, he was moaning on Morning Ireland. I am in that cohort, but when I hear him 'make a case' for us, I somehow just wish it was someone else talking, as I see him as someone having a vested interest.

I was happy to get any vaccine at the time, but I did lose a bit of faith when it was suddenly announced that we could consider ourselves fully vaccinated four weeks after the first dose - I have yet to see any convincing scientific basis for that. But I was delighted to see that PHE report yesterday, and would happily wait the 12 weeks for my second shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Stevek101 wrote: »

Here's my theory on why they're waiting to open this age group.

They were splitting the decades in half. One half 49-45, two weeks later it was 44-40.

If they done the same with 30-39 year olds, it means 34-30 year olds will be registering on last day of June or early July.

My theory is they will group the early 30s with the late 30s to make it look like they are moving down in age quickly. But they can't open it too quickly because it means some people will be waiting alot longer than the 3 weeks they say it should take to get the first vaccine shot. So they might open registration next week for this age group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

vienne86 wrote: »
    I think he's had a bee in his bonnet about AZ all along. He's in the 60-69 cohort himself and the morning he was going for his first AZ shot, he was moaning on Morning Ireland. I am in that cohort, but when I hear him 'make a case' for us, I somehow just wish it was someone else talking, as I see him as someone having a vested interest.

I was happy to get any vaccine at the time, but I did lose a bit of faith when it was suddenly announced that we could consider ourselves fully vaccinated four weeks after the first dose - I have yet to see any convincing scientific basis for that. But I was delighted to see that PHE report yesterday, and would happily wait the 12 weeks for my second shot.

The "vaccine bonus" dates seemed to be more based on human behavior than science (i.e. try and keep people isolating for 2 weeks after a shot but after that they're a lot less likely to hit severe issues), it's no surprise it's being walked back this soon and happens to coincide with about when the second shots are becoming due.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

vienne86 wrote: »

Hhhmm, he does appear to have some sort of bee in his bonnet about AZ. We are all guilty at sometimes remembering how far we have come - quick to forget how desperate things were, never mind could have been - it's already been tragic enough as it is we needed vaccines and medications to help in the fight with Covid and long Covid. I must admit, I do not recall ever being told that we were fully vaccinated on one dose. AZ have been always been clear that two doses were needed. One dose would give strong protection, but the second was the key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,196 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Did the GP ring or who rang ?

It was not my GP as he is not doing it was from the Vaccine centre itself whoever was in charge there. She spoke very low.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Hhhmm, he does appear to have some sort of bee in his bonnet about AZ. We are all guilty at sometimes remembering how far we have come - quick to forget how desperate things were, never mind could have been - it's already been tragic enough as it is we needed vaccines and medications to help in the fight with Covid and long Covid. I must admit, I do not recall ever being told that we were fully vaccinated on one dose. AZ have been always been clear that two doses were needed. One dose would give strong protection, but the second was the key.

We were definitely told we were considered fully vaccinated for the vaccine bonus after 1 dose of AZ .

AMKC wrote: »
    It was not my GP as he is not doing it was from the Vaccine centre itself whoever was in charge there. She spoke very low.

Thats interesting , great you are getting it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Maybe they were looking for people to vaccinate?

Sure we better hold off from opening the next age group.

Maybe they were looking for people to vaccinate?

Sure we better hold off from opening the next age group.
    The 60-69 year old need a second dose of AZ asap . My guess it they will hold off on the 30-40 and get that group done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sounds odd. I'd do a sanity check and have a look at your registration online to confirm that there is an appointment booked in. If it's not there, I'd ring the helpline and query it with them.

My concern is that it's someone taking the piss. The people in the vaccine centres wouldn't have the time to be ringing thousands of people a day. But maybe it's the case that the system spits out some registrations for a manual booking or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭eoinbn

How long do we reckon it will take to get through 30-39? Would we say early July is game on for 20/29 age cohort registration to open?

If you the supply of Pfizer drops to 200k per week in July then 30-39 won't be complete until sometime in August.
    Best case scenario would be early in the second half of July for under 30s. That would require deliveries to stay around 300k and to start using up some of the stockpile.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

seamus wrote: »
    Sounds odd. I'd do a sanity check and have a look at your registration online to confirm that there is an appointment booked in. If it's not there, I'd ring the helpline and query it with them.

My concern is that it's someone taking the piss. The people in the vaccine centres wouldn't have the time to be ringing thousands of people a day. But maybe it's the case that the system spits out some registrations for a manual booking or something.

I think the MVCs have backup lists that they are furnished to be used if there are no shows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭mossie

Stheno wrote: »
    I think the MVCs have backup lists that they are furnished to be used if there are no shows

Yes, a colleague lives near the MVC in Mallow and was called like that, however she had previously been called to ask if she would be happy to go on standby list.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

mathie wrote: »
    Sorry if asked before but where is the best place to park for Aviva?
    Is it Gate 8 to aim for?
    thanks

Park in the underground walk straight up the ramp and you will be in the queue to get into the building. Took about 70 minutes from the moment I parked the car to the moment I drove out. Very well organised

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭JPup

zebastein wrote: »
    Donnelly is good at sending numbers that are outdated.

We had 50% adults vaccinated end of may
    We were aiming at 80% end of june, so the maths is simple: you need to increase 1% per day.

3rd june: 53% reached (https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/almost-2-9-million-vaccinations-administered-in-ireland-1137109.html)
    7th june: 55% reached (https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40308176.html)
    9th june: 57% reached, 3.1millions doses given overall (https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/rollout/).

And now we are the 6 days later, and Donnelly posts about 56% vaccinated. :rolleyes:

The site of the ECDC gives us at 58.6% adults vaccinated first dose. That is still not amazing, only 8.6% done in half a month, so we'd finish the month at "only" 66-67% at this rate

The 80% with one dose target for the end of June was ditched a couple of weeks ago I thought when it became clear that J&J had let us down. The new target seems to be 70% fully vaccinated by the end of July.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    We were definitely told we were considered fully vaccinated for the vaccine bonus after 1 dose of AZ .

I was just saying I don't recall that, that is all. I do recall back in April that there was mention of some under 50's to be considered fully vaccinated after one dose of Pfizer/Moderna (back in April).

JPup wrote: »
    The 80% with one dose target for the end of June was ditched a couple of weeks ago I thought when it became clear that J&J had let us down. The new target seems to be 70% fully vaccinated by the end of July.
    We can run a couple of rough figures at this stage with 15 days left in June. If we assume a weekly average of 300k doses, then we can assume about 640k doses to the end of the month.

That'll bring us up to 3.85m doses overall. Assuming a 6.5:3.5 ratio, that's about 2.5m doses, or about 64% first doses by the end of June.

70% by the end of July sounds very pessimistic, given where we should be at the end of this month. Where did you see that?

I was just saying I don't recall that, that is all. I do recall back in April that there was mention of some under 50's to be considered fully vaccinated after one dose of Pfizer/Moderna (back in April).
    People who got AZ can consider themselves vaccinated for the purposes of the guidelines, after 4 weeks. This was so that people wouldn't reject AZ based on the 12-week gap.

They still wouldn't be considered fully vaccinated for international travel, but are allowed to mix indoors maskless with other vaccinated people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭feelings

any more news on when portal will open for the 30+ (or 35+?).

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭JPup

We can run a couple of rough figures at this stage with 15 days left in June. If we assume a weekly average of 300k doses, then we can assume about 640k doses to the end of the month.

That'll bring us up to 3.85m doses overall. Assuming a 6.5:3.5 ratio, that's about 2.5m doses, or about 64% first doses by the end of June.

70% by the end of July sounds very pessimistic, given where we should be at the end of this month. Where did you see that?

I’d have thought it was quite optimistic based on what you just wrote. If we are 64% first doses by the end of June then it’ll be approximately 65% second doses by the end of July (4 week gap) plus the number of one and done J&Js.

• Advertisement

People who got AZ can consider themselves vaccinated for the purposes of the guidelines, after 4 weeks. This was so that people wouldn't reject AZ based on the 12-week gap.

They still wouldn't be considered fully vaccinated for international travel, but are allowed to mix indoors maskless with other vaccinated people.

Exactly, I don't recall it being considered 'fully vaccinated' for AZ .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

There was me a few weeks ago thinking id be just about as covered by my one pfizer jab as my friends who got J&J at this point.
    Now it seems its only 30% effective against the Delta Variant, so Ive to wait for a couple of weeks after jab 2 now.
    Is this ever going to end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

JimmyVik wrote: »
    There was me a few weeks ago thinking id be just about as covered by my one pfizer jab as my friends who got J&J at this point.
    Now it seems its only 30% effective against the Delta Variant, so Ive to wait for a couple of weeks after jab 2 now.
    Is this ever going to end.
    One week after jab two you're fully vaccinated. And why would they be the same efficacy? Completely different technologies

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Has there been any update from the HSE as to when figures and vaccine arrivals etc. will be back uptodate following the hack yet? thanks

One week after jab two you're fully vaccinated. And why would they be the same efficacy? Completely different technologies

After each dose it takes 2-3 weeks to build up (mRNA) and 4-5 weeks (AstraZeneca).

MRNA optimal protection probably takes from first injection 2 months.

AZ optimal protection probably takes from first injection 4 months.

Why would it be some arbitary time like one or two weeks after each second dose. Its like the two metre rule or covid can live on surfaces for 3 days. Its just a made up time period for government thats close enough.

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1404485738469675014

This lad seems to know his stuff and thinks real world they (MRNA/AZ) are on par for infection reduction and protection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,052 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It looks though like a large number of people will have received the second AZ dose by July 19th, so the international travel factor may not be that important by then.

What's going on with Kingston Mills lately? He seems to have a real bee in his bonnet over AZ. Did he not see the PHE report yesterday evening, which categorically stated that the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine is 92% effective against hospitalisation after 2 doses.

He lost the head with AZ 2-3 months ago.

Whatever data comes out he does'nt care.

Hes like some of the european countries.

Losing their heads without reading the data.

Luke O'Neill in fairness is driven by the data and evidence.

Pragmatic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

AZ trial of monoclonal antibody treatment not that effective.

AstraZeneca (AZN.L) said on Tuesday a late-stage trial failed to provide evidence that its COVID-19 antibody therapy protected people who had contact with an infected person from the disease, a small setback in its efforts to find alternatives to vaccines.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/astrazeneca-says-its-antibody-treatment-failed-in-preventing-covid-19-exposed-2021-06-15/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Also some news of a booster trial in Cambridge called COV-Boost. Apologies if it's been posted already.
    Clinical trials have begun in Cambridge to see which Covid-19 vaccine works best as a third "booster" jab.

Researchers at the Addenbrooke's Hospital site are recruiting about 180 participants for a national trial, which will test seven vaccines.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-57467632

• Advertisement

After each dose it takes 2-3 weeks to build up (mRNA) and 4-5 weeks (AstraZeneca).

MRNA optimal protection probably takes from first injection 2 months.

AZ optimal protection probably takes from first injection 4 months.

Why would it be some arbitary time like one or two weeks after each second dose. Its like the two metre rule or covid can live on surfaces for 3 days. Its just a made up time period for government thats close enough.

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1404485738469675014

This lad seems to know his stuff and thinks real world they (MRNA/AZ) are on par for infection reduction and protection.

What is your proposal? Continuous antibody tests on everyone post vaccination until peak is achieved? Because that’s the only other option in establishing when “full” vaccination is reached other that an arbitrary time selected based on the general

Advertisement