Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

What is your proposal? Continuous antibody tests on everyone post vaccination until peak is achieved? Because that’s the only other option in establishing when “full” vaccination is reached other that an arbitrary time selected based on the general

I'm not proposing anything.

Its just helpful to know the above.

We now have greater understanding.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    There was me a few weeks ago thinking id be just about as covered by my one pfizer jab as my friends who got J&J at this point.
    Now it seems its only 30% effective against the Delta Variant, so Ive to wait for a couple of weeks after jab 2 now.
    Is this ever going to end.

First world problem.;)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,051 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mackD

feelings wrote: »
    any more news on when portal will open for the 30+ (or 35+?).

Wondering the same.
    It seems the only news so far this week is about the pharmacies giving out vaccines to the 50+ while any news about registration for under 40s has been quietly swept under the rug again.
    Sigh..

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Apologies if this has already been posted.
    Good news on additional vaccines and results.

https://twitter.com/vacciworld/status/1404379906054701064?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

mackD wrote: »
    Wondering the same.
    It seems the only news so far this week is about the pharmacies giving out vaccines to the 50+ while any news about registration for under 40s has been quietly swept under the rug again.
    Sigh..
    There was never any news to begin with, just the media publishing someone's thoughts. Reid or Donnelly are likely to give the real dates.

is_that_so wrote: »
    There was never any news to begin with, just the media publishing someone's thoughts. Reid or Donnelly are likely to give the real dates.

So it was never officially announced for this week then?
    The media have a lot to answer for publishing false timelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭JPup

JimmyVik wrote: »
    There was me a few weeks ago thinking id be just about as covered by my one pfizer jab as my friends who got J&J at this point.
    Now it seems its only 30% effective against the Delta Variant, so Ive to wait for a couple of weeks after jab 2 now.
    Is this ever going to end.

Where are you getting that 30% from? Data published yesterday showed Pfizer more than 90% effective against delta variant after one dose. I’d be very surprised if J&J is meaningfully better than that.

mackD wrote: »
    So it was never officially announced for this week then?
    The media have a lot to answer for publishing false timelines.
    No, it wasn't, it was "expected to be next week". However, there are indications they might say when exactly this week.

JPup wrote: »
    Where are you getting that 30% from? Data published yesterday showed Pfizer more than 90% effective against delta variant after one dose. I’d be very surprised if J&J is meaningfully better than that.

33% of infections stopped by either vaccine after dose one by new variant.

Hospitalisations prevented much greater % after one dose.

• Advertisement

33% of infections stopped by either vaccine after dose one by new variant.

Hospitalisations prevented much greater % after one dose.

Ok. So the latter is clearly much more important. Do we have the equivalent figures for J&J?

is_that_so wrote: »
    No, it wasn't, it was "expected to be next week". However, there are indications they might say when exactly this week.

I see, thanks for the response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭amandstu

What data?Very good news if true but I doubt it strongly.

EDIT see it has been answered.Ignore

Ok. So the latter is clearly much more important. Do we have the equivalent figures for J&J?

Listen to this guy.

He talk's after J&J and new variant.

Probably 95% hospitalisation prevention per his guesstimate.

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1404485738469675014

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

69 year olds now getting text for 2nd dose Az . 8.5 weeks after dose 1
    Good news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭coolperson05

Hi All,

Interested to hear this chat about AZ. My situation - I'm 31 - waiting on the portal to open for registration. Got a call from my GP saying there's an appointment for AZ this Friday if I want it. Then second AZ in 8 weeks.
    I'm very pro-vax and all for get the first one you're offered. However reading here about boosters and the roll out timeline, should I just wait for my call for an mRNA vaccine (probably early July??). Timeline doesn't really matter but thinking longterm/protection/etc. Thoughts?

amandstu wrote: »

Just a quick question, but may I ask why you would doubt it very strongly or put another way, what has led you to doubt it strongly?

Woody79 wrote: »
    Listen to this guy.

He talk's after J&J and new variant.

Probably 95% hospitalisation prevention per his guesstimate.

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1404485738469675014

Couldn't agree more strongly about Mac n Chise, explains everything rationally and in a non sensationalist layman's terms for real world.

Hi All,

Interested to hear this chat about AZ. My situation - I'm 31 - waiting on the portal to open for registration. Got a call from my GP saying there's an appointment for AZ this Friday if I want it. Then second AZ in 8 weeks.
    I'm very pro-vax and all for get the first one you're offered. However reading here about boosters and the roll out timeline, should I just wait for my call for an mRNA vaccine (probably early July??). Timeline doesn't really matter but thinking longterm/protection/etc. Thoughts?
    If there is a jab available then take it unless you really want to wait for an mRNA one. Portal at this stage may be about the same time to do 2 doses as we have no start date for your age group yet.

amandstu wrote: »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/15/the-covid-delta-variant-how-effective-are-the-vaccines

That article has the figures for the delta variant. One dose of Biontech/Pfizer gives 36% protection against symptomatic disease and 94% protection from hosipitalisation. After two doses its 88% and 96% respectively. So it's a fantastic result showing that the delta variant does not escape the Biontech/Pfizer vaccine which is the main one being used in Ireland. The reopening of society can continue as planned over the next couple of months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭deeperlearning

Lumen wrote: »
    Donnelly linked to the EU vaccine portal so I assume it's fairly up to date.

It says 34.9% with one dose in the 25-49 age group, in which we have 1.75m people, so that's 610k people.

In the 40-49 group there are 750k people.

610/750 = 81%. OK, so that's not bad since there are still people waiting.

https://vaccinetracker.ecdc.europa.eu/public/extensions/COVID-19/vaccine-tracker.html#age-group-tab

Not all of the 610k vaccinated are in the 40-49 age cohort. Many of those 610k vaccinated are aged 25-39 and were vaccinated because they were
    a. frontline healthcare workers (group 2)
    b. people aged 16 to 69 who are at very high risk (group 4)
    c. people aged 16 to 64 who are at high risk (group 7)
    d. pregnant women between 14 and 36 weeks

Hi All,

Personally, I'd take whatever vaccine I am offered first and as soon as possible- Delta is so much easier spread, the numbers are increasing and you will get some protection sooner rather than early July. If GP offered an appointment, snap it up.
    All the vaccines are looking at boosters for future, but as this is a moving situation, 'fluid' in management speak, we can only act on what we know currently. But that is me.

Hi All,

Its a tough one.

Wouldnt want to give medical advice tbh.

MRNA offers quicker protection than AZ.

No one knows long term.

They both seem to even out in the medium term.

See biggest real world study of AZ vs. Pfzier against Alpha Variant in UK by PHE with literally millions of people.

https://www.indiatoday.in/science/story/pfizer-astrazeneca-vaccines-provide-similar-protection-against-symptomatic-covid-19-study-1805037-2021-05-21

I was in your situation in April and took the AZ, rather than waiting for slightly better Pfzier.

Getting second jab next week.

Reasonably happy with my decision.

Although I'm never truely happy, but thats me..

As said above, its a fluid situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWyxxGd3xpM

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Responder XY

Hi All,

I thought AZ could not be offered to U-50 as a 1st vaccine in any circumstance (and 50-60s need additional consent?)

I'd take it if it was me though. By the time the portal opens for 31 year olds + wait to get an appointment, 8 weeks would be fairly optimistic for being fully done with an MRNA one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,196 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Maybe they were looking for people to vaccinate?

Sure we better hold off from opening the next age group.
    Ye maybe.
    seamus wrote: »
    Sounds odd. I'd do a sanity check and have a look at your registration online to confirm that there is an appointment booked in. If it's not there, I'd ring the helpline and query it with them.

My concern is that it's someone taking the piss. The people in the vaccine centres wouldn't have the time to be ringing thousands of people a day. But maybe it's the case that the system spits out some registrations for a manual booking or something.
    Good point. How do I go about doing that?

Was just on the HSE website and could not find anything.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Couldn't agree more strongly about Mac n Chise, explains everything rationally and in a non sensationalist layman's terms for real world.

Absolutely.

Many people have biases or angles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Boots has a COVID vaccine booking portal, but there's nothing to stop any age booking.
    Tried it there, I clicked options for my age group (25-34) and entered my DOB.

I thought something would stop me, but I'm booked in for next Monday apparently.
    Gonna call now and find out if this is right. It's definitely too good to be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Boots has a COVID vaccine booking portal, but there's nothing to stop any age booking.

I thought something would stop me, but I'm booked in for next Monday apparently.
    Gonna call now and find out if this is right. It's definitely too good to be true.

It says Jansen vaccine for anyone ages 50 and over when I looked just now

Boots Logo

The Janssen COVID-19 vaccine is now available for those aged 50 years and over. If you are not in this group, please do not book an appointment as it will be cancelled. If you attend for an appointment, we will always check eligibility at this stage. Ineligible patients will not be vaccinated.

Padre_Pio wrote: »

Exact same thing happened in UK Boots and all appointments were cancelled in due course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Woody79 wrote: »
    Exact same thing happened in UK Boots and all appointments were cancelled in due course.

Thought so, vaccine centres can give Janssen can be given to under 50's but I don't think pharmacies have permission to give it yet.

Advertisement