Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

It seems due to the huge demand for 2nd AZ doses, vaccinators rather than vaccines are slowing down the 40s and under roll out. Perhaps the pharmacies can help speed things up when they get their Pfizer supply. Does anyone know how sign up for Pfizer in the pharmacy will work? Still through the portal or something else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

SJFly wrote: »
    It seems due to the huge demand for 2nd AZ doses, vaccinators rather than vaccines are slowing down the 40s and under roll out. Perhaps the pharmacies can help speed things up when they get their Pfizer supply. Does anyone know how sign up for Pfizer in the pharmacy will work? Still through the portal or something else?

I think supplies are still a factor. The MVCs have additional capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭eoinbn

civdef wrote: »

Pfizer are expected to deliver over 300k doses next week. Even at the low end of 250k, plus Moderna and AZ we should be doing over 350k.
    Questions do need to be asked as to what the current strategy is.
    Why have we the most doses stocked in western Europe?
    Is 300k our max capacity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

JRant wrote: »
    Exactly, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a large amount of people in the 40-44 group waiting even longer than the 3 weeks stated on the portal. They have changed tac mid group to focus on second doses and bring the gap down from 12 to 8 weeks. It's unfortunate for those of us in that group but with the limitations on the vaccine program we seem to be maxed out at around the 300k per week.

Unfortunately for everyone under 40 AZ could supply us a million doses a month from July but they will be getting donated and not used here.
    We'll get the job done with Pfizer and Moderna so it looks like we may not even need CureVac. There is little appetite to continue to deal with an unreliable supplier and once we, and the EU, get what's contracted AZ will be free to take care of the rest of the world.

eoinbn wrote: »
    Pfizer are expected to deliver over 300k doses next week. Even at the low end of 250k, plus Moderna and AZ we should be doing over 350k.
    Questions do need to be asked as to what the current strategy is.
    Why have we the most doses stocked in western Europe?
    Is 300k our max capacity?
    They've talked about 400K so that has been mapped out, it's still that supply issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭eoinbn

is_that_so wrote: »
    They've talked about 400K so that has been mapped out, it's still that supply issue.

How is supply the issue when we are only going to admin 200k mRNA vaccines next week and expect to receive 340k mRNA vaccines?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭JPup

Supply seems to be the issue alright from what the HSE are saying. The second doses of AZ being given out over the next month shouldn't slow down the roll out of mRNA vaccines for younger age groups. When Pfizer and Moderna shipments come in, we will use them promptly.

JPup wrote: »
    Supply seems to be the issue alright from what the HSE are saying. The second doses of AZ being given out over the next month shouldn't slow down the roll out of mRNA vaccines for younger age groups. When Pfizer and Moderna shipments come in, we will use them promptly.
    The sheer numbers require specific AZ days in centres, plus some of the mRNA are needed for second doses. Even at 400K a week that's a challenge and with the focus now on fully vaccinating people a slower rate of progression in first vaccines in the remaining groups is inevitable for a few weeks. The gap to adding 30-39 is a prime example of this, however, from mid July we should be absolutely flying through people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,456 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Boots are now offering Janssen one shot vaccines to over 50s.
    https://www.boots.ie/covid-vaccination?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

eoinbn wrote: »
    How is supply the issue when we are only going to admin 200k mRNA vaccines next week and expect to receive 340k mRNA vaccines?
    It's the AZ supply and the need to give over days to that in centres. Pfizer can be trusted but AZ is the perennial slacker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Strazdas wrote: »
    Seems the plan is literally to finish up with use of AstraZeneca in Ireland by July 19th - all doses will have been delivered by that point

https://twitter.com/Mark_Coughlan/status/1404897027541147654

So, no more Janssen vaccine jabs either ?

So, no more Janssen vaccine jabs either ?
    Nope, the EU declined to order more and we've never really used it outside that one age group.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭darem93

I'm 28 and I'd say it'll be at least August at this rate before I get my first dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

It's the AZ supply and the need to give over days to that in centres. Pfizer can be trusted but AZ is the perennial slacker.

Janssen delivery been poor too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

There is additional capacity in terms of booths but still trying to recruit vaccinators in a lot of centres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

https://www2.hse.ie/Apps/Services/PharmaciesServiceList.aspx

Not sure if it's been posted but these are the pharmacies currently vaccinating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Boots are now offering Janssen one shot vaccines to over 50s.
    https://www.boots.ie/covid-vaccination?

There's 100s of pharmacy's participating

County list above

Around 300 of these have been allocated Pfizer from late June/early July with capacity to deliver between 30,000-50,000 doses a week initially. No clarification on whether they'll be allocated patients or contact their own

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

I’m just wondering why are there over 50s still unvaccinated? It seems like a cohort that ought to have been fully complete with MVCs?

Was there poor uptake? Certainly didn’t get that impression from the figures last month.

I’m just wondering who these over 50s going to pharmacies are.

If we could get enough supply of Pfizer or Modena to use the pharmacy network it would really ramp things up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

duffman13 wrote: »
    There's 100s of pharmacy's participating

County list above

Around 300 of these have been allocated Pfizer from late June/early July with capacity to deliver between 30,000-50,000 doses a week initially. No clarification on whether they'll be allocated patients or contact their own

You can book online for Boots already for over 50’s

I’m just wondering why are there over 50s still unvaccinated? It seems like a cohort that ought to have been fully complete with MVCs?

Was there poor uptake? Certainly didn’t get that impression from the figures last month.

If we could get enough supply of Pfizer or Modena to use the pharmacy network it would really ramp things up.
    It seems to be more like a mopping up exercise. Not everyone lives anywhere near an MVC plus there are probably some who have not got round to it. Pharmacies make that a lot easier. There is talk of Pfizer going into them I believe but not immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

duffman13 wrote: »
    There is additional capacity in terms of booths but still trying to recruit vaccinators in a lot of centres.

Where I am we have loads of vaccinators, but not enough supplies to utilise them fully every day.

Where I am we have loads of vaccinators, but not enough supplies to utilise them fully every day.
    Heard this was an issue for The Helix from someone working there and that they could do a lot more daily but could get no extra shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Dickie10

when are people in thier 30s up for vaccination??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Going by a straw poll of the people I know in that age group(all in the Dublin area) a couple are just avoiding vaccines entirely and you will always have them, two have had their first shot, but are refusing the second after feeling like crap from the first, another couple haven't had the time apparently, one for some reason seems to have had problems with getting a booking and three want the one jab J&J instead of the two jab Pfizer types. I'm one of those three and also had booking issues so the pharmacy route for me.

Like is_that_so notes you'll have people not living in urban areas who may find it hard to get to a centre so they'd add to the numbers.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    when are people in thier 30s up for vaccination??
    Next month sometime - could be mid-month. The big batch of AZ to do will affect things.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Wibbs wrote: »
    a couple are just avoiding vaccines entirely and you will always have them
    To add to those two, their partners and kids won't be getting vaccinated either and talking with one of them I know well, he tells me a few of his friends and neighbours and work colleagues are also of the same mind. Birds of a feather and all that. So I'd imagine you'll have a minority who will remain unvaccinated. What the size of that minority is I have zero clue. I wouldn't be too shocked if it weren't hundred odd thousand though.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭Apogee

JRant wrote: »
    Paul Reid talking on RTE there. Approximately 300k per week for the next 2 weeks. A third of this will be AZ second doses, coupled with the 50-59 cohort due a second mRNA dose we could be looking at quite a slowdown in first doses over the next 2/3 weeks at a minimum.

Some more info:
    -Have firmed up supply lines with AZ
    -450K people scheduled to have second AZ
    -AZ dosing will be complete by week commencing 19th July (was previously mid-August)
    -90K AZ distributed this week (and ~100K each week thereafter)
    -Additional 366K AZ scheduled for rest of June

-310-330K doses this week
    -Same next week
    -Strong supply lines in general next 2 weeks

-3.25M total doses administered
    -58% 1 dose
    -28% 2 doses

-Early July forecast "higher 60% dose 1's, well into 30% dose 2's"

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21968615

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Wibbs wrote: »
    To add to those two, their partners and kids won't be getting vaccinated either and talking with one of them I know well, he tells me a few of his friends and neighbours and work colleagues are also of the same mind. Birds of a feather and all that. So I'd imagine you'll have a minority who will remain unvaccinated. What the size of that minority is I have zero clue. I wouldn't be too shocked if it weren't hundred odd thousand though.

Yes . Have heard a lot of younger people who say they will " wait and see" !
    Despite the massive amount of real world data available for these vaccines ...
    Had one in particular telling me about infertility issues , bloodclots and myocarditis ( with all vaccines!) and that none of the information had basis in fact , was very muddled and from an antivaxx Facebook site .
    Not saying all young people are like that but many would not , for example read newspapers, watch TV news or read these threads !
    Hopefully the reality of trying to go back to college or work unvaccinated will encourage some to go for it .
    Travel to some countries does not require vaccination only antigen testing , so if that is not going to be the encouraging factor , what is ?
    If under 12 s remain unvaccinated and possibly many 12 to 15year olds , don't we need most of our adults vaccinated to get to the magic herd immunity ?

Mark Coughlan did a good piece on it last week . https://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/2021/0608/1226962-covid-19-ireland-herd-immunity/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Apogee wrote: »

-3.25M total doses administered
    -58% 1 dose
    -28% 2 doses

-Early July forecast "higher 60% dose 1's, well into 30% dose 2's"

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21968615

So we're definitely going to miss the "80% with first dose by end June" target then. I know that promise was on the basis of reliable supply lines, and with AZ only getting their act together recently and J&J proving to be a flop at supply, it's not surprising that we are going to miss that target. But I don't want it just to be glossed over - if we miss a publically stated target then that should be acknowledged by the government.

I mean, it's quite a big miss. 60% instead of 80% with first vaccine.

• Advertisement

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Yes . Have heard a lot of younger people who say they will " wait and see" !
    Despite the massive amount of real world data available for these vaccines ...
    Had one in particular telling me about infertility issues , bloodclots and myocarditis ( with all vaccines!) and that none of the information had basis in fact , was very muddled and from an antivaxx Facebook site .
    Not saying all young people are like that but many would not , for example read newspapers, watch TV news or read these threads !
    Hopefully the reality of trying to go back to college or work unvaccinated will encourage some to go for it .
    Travel to some countries does not require vaccination only antigen testing , so if that is not going to be the encouraging factor , what is ?
    If under 12 s remain unvaccinated and possibly many 12 to 15year olds , don't we need most of our adults vaccinated to get to the magic herd immunity ?

Mark Coughlan did a good piece on it last week . https://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/2021/0608/1226962-covid-19-ireland-herd-immunity/
    Our data suggests that we could currently be heading for about 90% overall of the adult population. That's almost measles territory!

Advertisement