Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Caquas

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Boots are now offering Janssen one shot vaccines to over 50s.
    https://www.boots.ie/covid-vaccination?

So much for “take the vaccine you’re offered when you’re offered it”.

I took the AZ in early May, shuffling along in a queue at the Aviva for over an hour, then a sleepless night with flu-like symptoms and I’ll be lucky to get my second shot by mid-July I.e. immunity in August.

If I waited, I could get this single shot from Boots and head off for my summer holidays. Instead, I’ll spend July contemplating my naivety. Plenty of others will feel the same, especially those in the most vulnerable groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Caquas wrote: »

I took the AZ in early May, shuffling along in a queue at the Aviva for over an hour, then a sleepless night with flu-like symptoms and I’ll be lucky to get my second shot by mid-July I.e. immunity in August.

If I waited, I could get this single shot from Boots and head off for my summer holidays. Instead, I’ll spend July contemplating my naivety. Plenty of others will feel the same, especially those in the most vulnerable groups.

You can still go on holidays with one or no jabs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

There's no reason why boots and other pharmacies couldn't have delivered astrazeneca but your reaction is a good thing, although it probably didn't feel like that at the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I got the first dose of AZ in mid May and was thrilled and very grateful for it .

I know people who got it early May and have appointments for next week . You wont be waiting until July

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

mossie wrote: »
    Yeah, I had a "friend" who kept sharing crap like that. She's gone quiet lately though. The last post was back in March about how the vaccines would attack our bodies after 30 days and there would be millions of deaths because of this. Anyway I see her list of friends on FB has dropped by 75% since she started posting antivaxer and "COVID-19 is fake" stuff.

I noticed two large car parks in Mayo last weekend that had a leaflet left on every car window with something similar to that example among other anti vaxxer rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It is interesting that you have dismissed the 6 weeks you've been covered by 1 shot ahead of most people in the country. There will also be nowhere near enough J&J in pharmacies to cover a significant amount of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There's no reason why boots and other pharmacies couldn't have delivered astrazeneca but your reaction is a good thing, although it probably didn't feel like that at the time
    MVCs had it covered and could respond more flexibly to the inevitable AZ delivery issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Duff

Sorry if this has been asked already, but has there been any update on when the 30-39 category can register? I thought it was this week but had a quick Google and it seems that was misinterpreted by the media? Thanks.

Duff wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked already, but has there been any update on when the 30-39 category can register? I thought it was this week but had a quick Google and it seems that was misinterpreted by the media? Thanks.
    Soon, says Paul Reid, an announcement on it later this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Duff

is_that_so wrote: »
    Soon, says Paul Reid, an announcement on it later this week.

Great. Cheers for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭JPup

As well as having had a good level immunity for an extra 6 weeks, the two dose regime of AZ will provide you with better protection than one dose of J&J most likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,199 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So I got my first dose today and a day early lol. I had looked at the time on the text this morning but not the day. Thankfully they were all good with it. There was other people there trying to get the Astra Zenica Vaccine on the days they were not doing it and they had to tell them only Friday or Saturday for that.
    15:08 I got mine and then got out of the place at 15:23 lol.

All good so far thankfully.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

mossie wrote: »
    Yeah they'll believe anything that comes from an "expert" on FB.

Seem to recall a certain 'expert' on boards loosing it because I said I felt safe working during the first lockdown, saying C-19 was an airborne virus and there'd be bodies in the streets too.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Just got my text - dose #2 AstraZeneca on Sunday in CityWest, 8 weeks and 5 days after dose #1 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

I am sorry you feel that way but you took a decision based on what was current and right for you at that time. The vaccine situation has changed practically everyday. What if you had waited for one shot only to find that you couldn't have it for what ever reason, then wait further again.

Its a bit like if only I had bought that phone now, instead of earlier as it's €60 cheaper etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

vienne86 wrote: »
    Just got my text - dose #2 AstraZeneca on Sunday in CityWest, 8 weeks and 5 days after dose #1 :D

Hooray, good news indeed.

JPup wrote: »
    As well as having had a good level immunity for an extra 6 weeks, the two dose regime of AZ will provide you with better protection than one dose of J&J most likely.
    They all do as desired on serious illness and hospitalisation. This kind of menu based approach encourages people to be fussy and make medical choices they are not qualified to make. It's really as simple as take the vaccine coming your way!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭d0157063

Any recent exp with queues in Aviva, mine is tomorrow at 13:00, till now mixed reviews of "quickly done" Vs "waiting for > 3 hrs".....need to accordingly book time off from work, thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Caquas

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I got the first dose of AZ in mid May and was thrilled and very grateful for it .

I know people who got it early May and have appointments for next week . You wont be waiting until July

I’m glad to hear this but I called the HSE hotline the other day and they said I would be waiting until early July at least and more likely mid-July.

Not the end of the world, of course, but it does make a mockery of that plan for 16 cohorts that was produced with such effort a couple of months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Still no word on when us 35-39s might get to register? "this week" is getting shorter :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,065 ✭✭✭✭josip

d0157063 wrote: »
    Any recent exp with queues in Aviva, mine is tomorrow at 13:00, till now mixed reviews of "quickly done" Vs "waiting for > 3 hrs".....need to accordingly book time off from work, thanks in advance

1 hour yesterday

I’m glad to hear this but I called the HSE hotline the other day and they said I would be waiting until early July at least and more likely mid-July.

Not the end of the world, of course, but it does make a mockery of that plan for 16 cohorts that was produced with such effort a couple of months ago.
    The best laid plans as they say! There have been at least 30 enforced changes to our vaccination programme because of supply problems. Early July is in two weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭mossie

bladespin wrote: »
    Seem to recall a certain 'expert' on boards loosing it because I said I felt safe working during the first lockdown, saying C-19 was an airborne virus and there'd be bodies in the streets too.

Yeah, I remember someone on one of the early Covid threads justifying why he/she was hoarding food (ever since the virus first appeared in China) saying that this was the end of civilisation. Nutters on both extremes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,053 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

mloc123 wrote: »
    Still no word on when us 35-39s might get to register? "this week" is getting shorter :)

It looks like next week now according to Fergal Bowers on Six One (hopefully early in the week for those who are waiting).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

My aunt had an reaction 10 minutes after her AstraZeneca jab. Shaking, difficulty breathing, she was given 2 shots spaced apart to counter act it as the first shot didn't do much. She wasn't taken to the hospital but almost was, they treated her in the vaccine centre. She was shook up for a couple of days but had no further issues.

They told her in the vaccine centre that she could get her second jab in a controlled environment. She was called for her second jab next Wednesday but is hesitant as her Doctor advised her against it. She's at a loss as to what to do. She rang the HSE helpline but they told her to speak to her Doctor.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,285 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My mother's got her second AZ appointment for Friday, I believe exactly 9 weeks after the first. Fairly certain they're going to meet that target to not need or want any deliveries after mid-July

Well I found out today that one of the inventors / founders of mRNA technology has serious reservations about them. He is also a doctor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_NNTVJzqtY

https://twitter.com/RWMaloneMD

One of his concerns is around the selection of the dosage level, particularly for Moderna, the tracking of data related to adverse effects, the circulation of the vaccine components through the body, and the potential long term effects of the vaccines.

Nice. I was looking for a three hour video to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

mloc123 wrote: »

I moved one year closer to the top of the 30s list today so I feel I've gotten closer to a vaccine even if I haven't got to register yet. Would have been a nice bday present to even get a date to register but won't be long now...

And yeah;
    Me: When can I register??
    HSE: soon enough.
    Me: that's not soon enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭JayRoc

d0157063 wrote: »

Approx 1.5hrs this evening

• Advertisement

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    My aunt had an reaction 10 minutes after her AstraZeneca jab. Shaking, difficulty breathing, she was given 2 shots spaced apart to counter act it as the first shot didn't do much. She wasn't taken to the hospital but almost was, they treated her in the vaccine centre. She was shook up for a couple of days but had no further issues.

They told her in the vaccine centre that she could get her second jab in a controlled environment. She was called for her second jab next Wednesday but is hesitant as her Doctor advised her against it. She's at a loss as to what to do. She rang the HSE helpline but they told her to speak to her Doctor.

Any thoughts?

If it was an allergic reaction I don't think there's anyway to give her the second dose, I'm pretty sure AZ 's own guidance states that.

She may have to wait for NIAC to allow vaccine mixing.

Advertisement