Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    My aunt had an reaction 10 minutes after her AstraZeneca jab. Shaking, difficulty breathing, she was given 2 shots spaced apart to counter act it as the first shot didn't do much. She wasn't taken to the hospital but almost was, they treated her in the vaccine centre. She was shook up for a couple of days but had no further issues.

They told her in the vaccine centre that she could get her second jab in a controlled environment. She was called for her second jab next Wednesday but is hesitant as her Doctor advised her against it. She's at a loss as to what to do. She rang the HSE helpline but they told her to speak to her Doctor.

Any thoughts?

I have had anaphylactic shock , not to a vaccine but to a medication . No way would I take a second dose of anything I reacted to .
    By a controlled environment they mean a hospital with IV Fluids drawn up , an IV line inserted , oxygen at the ready and adrenaline and anti histimine IV ready to be given .

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

What do people think about one of the inventors of mRNA expressing concerns about the vaccines?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,053 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

L1011 wrote: »
    My mother's got her second AZ appointment for Friday, I believe exactly 9 weeks after the first. Fairly certain they're going to meet that target to not need or want any deliveries after mid-July

The AZ thing is great news : looks like we might see a good 10%+ of the population fully vaccinated by this route alone in the next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,468 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What do people think about one of the inventors of mRNA expressing concerns about the vaccines?

Is he one of the inventors?
    He seems to have done some of the early research in the 1980s but when I search for him as being 'one of the inventors' ... well I only get hits on his own website, profiles or posts.
    So what do the other 100 people who did similar work say?
    And the ones who invented the vaccines?

If he has that much knowledge in the area shouldnt he be able to do more than just 'express concerns' but prove them to the medical authorities and other scientists?
    This is not something for the court of public opinion.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

• Advertisement

I'd question your motivations first.

I'd question your motivations first.

None other than doing my research having already registered for an mRNA vaccine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,053 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Lucas Hood wrote: »

50,000 vaccinations a day is phenomenal : well over 1% of the adult population every day.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Is he one of the inventors?
    He seems to have done some of the early research in the 1980s but when I search for him as being 'one of the inventors' ... well I only get hits on his own website, profiles or posts.
    So what do the other 100 people who did similar work say?
    And the ones who invented the vaccines?

If he has that much knowledge in the area shouldnt he be able to do more than just 'express concerns' but prove them to the medical authorities and other scientists?
    This is not something for the court of public opinion.

He says quite a bit here (early part of the video): https://youtu.be/-_NNTVJzqtY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,468 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

He says quite a bit here (early part of the video): https://youtu.be/-_NNTVJzqtY

Yeah so he has nothing solid and is now just shilling on dodgy youtube videos.
    I refer you to my previous post.

Fact checked as false
    https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/jun/16/youtube-videos/no-sign-covid-19-vaccines-spike-protein-toxic-or-c/

Maybe upgrade your fact check radar before making disingenuous claims with nothing to back them up with than these kinds of youtube videos.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭eoinbn

I haven't watched the full podcast, I have been trying for the last few days but the guy on the right is hard to stomach, but that wasn't take.
    He doesn't have an issue with mRNA or mRNA vaccines. He has an issue with vaccines that target the Sars 2 spike protein as the spike protein is toxic. The vaccine makes the body produce the spike protein so effectively it is creating a toxin which can have serious side effects.
    So he has the same concerns for most other covid vaccines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

Has anyone had discomfort under armpit a week after vaccine !
    I noticed it last night in the arm I got vaccine in . When I was lying on it in bed. Still there today . I googled and it is a known side effect but I assumed it would have been more immediate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Have an appointment for the Aviva tomorrow at 3pm..anyone know the current situation with wait times/queuing etc? Trying to figure out what time i should aim to be there for.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

jaja321 wrote: »
    Have an appointment for the Aviva tomorrow at 3pm..anyone know the current situation with wait times/queuing etc? Trying to figure out what time i should aim to be there for.

Thanks

Appointment at 3!aim to be there at 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

eoinbn wrote: »
    I haven't watched the full podcast, I have been trying for the last few days but the guy on the right is hard to stomach, but that wasn't take.
    He doesn't have an issue with mRNA or mRNA vaccines. He has an issue with vaccines that target the Sars 2 spike protein as the spike protein is toxic. The vaccine makes the body produce the spike protein so effectively it is creating a toxin which can have serious side effects.
    So he has the same concerns for most other covid vaccines.

Is this where the flying spike protein idiocy started or just a continuation of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Announcing 30-39 year olds HSE briefing tomorrow?

https://twitter.com/micheallehane/status/1405234213285158914?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Vox using a picture of crowds on South William street in their latest video on variants.

https://youtu.be/Ha6yUxze1vk?t=358

Kaitlin kariko or Drew Weissman said no such thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Curevac seems banjaxed
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-06-16/curevac-covid-shot-falls-short-with-47-efficacy-in-early-result

The German company CureVac delivered disappointing preliminary results on Wednesday from a clinical trial of its Covid-19 vaccine, dimming hopes that it could help fill the world’s great need.

The trial, which included 40,000 volunteers in Latin America and Europe, estimated that CureVac’s mRNA vaccine had an efficacy of just 47 percent, among the lowest reported so far from any Covid-19 vaccine maker. The trial will continue as researchers monitor volunteers for new cases of Covid-19, with a final analysis expected in two to three weeks

Only one case was the original variant with a lot of cases of the lambda variant and this likely explains at lot of the poor results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,044 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

None other than doing my research having already registered for an mRNA vaccine!

You were told in the thread you opened on this point where you should take it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Caquas wrote: »
    I’m glad to hear this but I called the HSE hotline the other day and they said I would be waiting until early July at least and more likely mid-July.

Not the end of the world, of course, but it does make a mockery of that plan for 16 cohorts that was produced with such effort a couple of months ago.

The dose gap was known at the time you were given your first shot. Now they are pushing back first dose deployment to accommodate all those AZ second jabs and bring the timelines in. So, while you have your first shot and very likely to have a second in the next couple of weeks there is still a large percentage of the population with no vaccine and being pushed out further to accommodate the older cohorts again. Looks like the best of both worlds really.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,044 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

He can say all he likes but he's not the inventor, nor one of them. He's an early researcher at best and 40 years behind. But he suits your narrative.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    He can say all he likes but he's not the inventor, nor one of them. He's an early researcher at best and 40 years behind. But he suits your narrative.

In the early days of the internet I had the idea to have a unique online barcode from an post that you could print out at home for your post. I neither had the drive or the ability to do anything more. If I was like Dr Malone I could claim I invented the postage stamp.

Curevac seems banjaxed
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-06-16/curevac-covid-shot-falls-short-with-47-efficacy-in-early-result

The German company CureVac delivered disappointing preliminary results on Wednesday from a clinical trial of its Covid-19 vaccine, dimming hopes that it could help fill the world’s great need.

The trial, which included 40,000 volunteers in Latin America and Europe, estimated that CureVac’s mRNA vaccine had an efficacy of just 47 percent, among the lowest reported so far from any Covid-19 vaccine maker. The trial will continue as researchers monitor volunteers for new cases of Covid-19, with a final analysis expected in two to three weeks

Only one case was the original variant with a lot of cases of the lambda variant and this likely explains at lot of the poor results.

Ouch. It was expected to be much weaker than the other 2 mRNA vaccines but 47%... I was expecting 65%-70%.
    Have we any figures for other vaccines against the lamba variant?
    If the vaccine is just rubbish then production should be stopped and the facilities given to other manufacturers.
    They do have another version in production which looks much better in lab trials. Now we know why they made that info public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,065 ✭✭✭✭josip

At this stage about the same as Tony expressing concerns tbh.
    I don't care if I never hear that expression again in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

josip wrote: »
    At this stage about the same as Tony expressing concerns tbh.

Tony expressed concerns about the vaccines?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

eoinbn wrote: »
    Ouch. It was expected to be much weaker than the other 2 mRNA vaccines but 47%... I was expecting 65%-70%.
    Have we any figures for other vaccines against the lamba variant?
    If the vaccine is just rubbish then production should be stopped and the facilities given to other manufacturers.
    They do have another version in production which looks much better in lab trials. Now we know why they made that info public.

I seem to recall that they had some provision that if they didn't make it, and they might not even submit it for approval at those levels, then they would subcontract to produce the Biontech vaccine. Doing this and concentrating on version 2 might be the best thing to do.

I seem to recall that they had some provision that if they didn't make it, and they might not even submit it for approval at those levels, then they would subcontract to produce the Biontech vaccine. Doing this and concentrating on version 2 might be the best thing to do.

I remember reading the same. I would still support the EU helping to fund their vaccine program, if needed, as we need options.
    This had been on the cards. Rumours as far back as November suggested than it had under performed in comparison to BioNtech in triggering the effective immune response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Curevac seems banjaxed

How are we looking for winter booster jabs if it comes to that?

Hopefully Moderna will be running at much bigger capacity by then. Haven't Pfizer front loaded Q4 vaccines to Q2?

Advertisement