Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Very surprising how poor the Curevac results are compared to Pfizer and Moderna. Was expecting similar if not better results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

How are we looking for winter booster jabs if it comes to that?

Hopefully Moderna will be running at much bigger capacity by then. Haven't Pfizer front loaded Q4 vaccines to Q2?

Pfizer should have plenty of production, only one jab is needed as a booster, not two. The EU has basically signed up with Pfizer/Biotech, the only issue is that EU boosters might stop other places getting a first shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,109 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Very surprising how poor the Curevac results are compared to Pfizer and Moderna. Was expecting similar if not better results.

Can you cite a study of Pfizer or Modena against the lambda variant? Otherwise the results are not comparable.

It seems curevac use un-modified mRNA, different to the other two

Lumen wrote: »
    Can you cite a study of Pfizer or Modena against the lambda variant? Otherwise the results are not comparable.

Only 21% of cases in the study were lambda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That just leaves Novavax, who plan to apply for FDA approval in Q3.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Are they opening the 30-39 group in one go?

You should find out today at the HSE briefing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Last week they said that 35-39 would open initially. That may have changed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭omega man

I've seen a couple of my Facebook contacts who I'd know for years go totally off the wall on anti vaxxer stuff in recent weeks and not people I'd have expected tbh

One in particular is posting all sorts of conspiracy theory garbage from the US and elsewhere and was getting absolutely no responses or likes (just an awkward silence) and was annoyed because several people just unfriended her.

Strange times and you'd feel sorry for some people. They're incredibly gullible and perhaps not that bright when it comes to highly technical topics like this.

It really isn’t about high intelligence (presumably there’s link to level of education though) but just a willingness to inform yourself on the subject by using reputable sources.

Unfortunately for many of these people once they go down the rabbit hole it’s quite hard to return and you’ll find most are drawn into a world of conspiracy theories.
    It’s quite sad actually and I’ve experienced it with a family member who has lost so many friends and is isolated from family too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I doubt it, I expect it'll be like the 40-49 cohort. Half will open, then a break of a few days, then the other half.
    Their aim is that most people will have an appointment within 3 weeks of registering, so I think the main purpose of that break is just for breathing room.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,051 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

What do people think about one of the inventors of mRNA expressing concerns about the vaccines?
    Threadbanned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Bit surprising indeed, while they are using much smaller doses, the bigger culprit could well be the unmodified RNA use in their construct. They published a paper not too long ago about how the modified RNA version performs vs the unmodified and it was a night and day difference. The mod version (like Pfizer/BNT and Moderna) was performing much better in neutralization tests than the un-mod version. The un-mod version is most likely being destroyed far too soon to have a nice big volume of the S protein being produced. The very strong Novavax results with a straight up S protein are making me think that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

omega man wrote: »
    It really isn’t about high intelligence (presumably there’s link to level of education though) but just a willingness to inform yourself on the subject by using reputable sources.

Unfortunately for many of these people once they go down the rabbit hole it’s quite hard to return and you’ll find most are drawn into a world of conspiracy theories.
    It’s quite sad actually and I’ve experienced it with a family member who has lost so many friends and is isolated from family too.

I see it in a very simple way, that doesn't even need doing much research.

We only have two options:
    1. No plan & this never ends - see Italy's & Spain's darkest days as for what to expect
    2. Giving our joint support to the only plan that the world was able to come up with
    Who in their right mind would go for option #1 even if option #2 has unknowns?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Know a few people in their 30s who have chanced their arm calling their GP for a vaccine and both got it within 2 days.

No underlying conditions , maybe some history of depression in 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,475 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

First Pfizer jab done this morning at Croke Park MVC - am in early 40s.
    No running commentary from Marty or national anthem from the Artane Boys Band alas :(

I was jabbed by a paramedic who joked "Don't worry, I can do this going around a corner at 60mph."

If you are going to Croke Park, entrance is on Jones Road (junction with Russell Avenue).
    Car parking is free, to the rear of the Croke Park Hotel.
    There is a portaloo in the car park but none at the MVC itself by the looks of things.

It's a bit cramped inside the MVC, they have a sheltered outside waiting area I thought they should have let the queue build up there and only let people into the MVC as booths are ready.
    To expedite things when you get in, write or print out your name, address, DOB, PPS number, mobile number on a piece of paper. It's a bit noisy inside the MVC and the sign-in person is behind screens and a mask so avoids you having to shout all your details in public.

Note that there is a walk-in test centre off the Clonliffe Road, so don't end up there by mistake - there are signs along the road for both destinations. If you are wondering why there are so many Gardai in the area it's because the Courts Service also has a temporary home at Croke Park.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

35-39 begins on Sunday. Says 39 Sunday, 38 Monday and so on. I am assuming the so on does not continue down to 30 as of yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

wardides wrote: »
    35-39 begins on Sunday. Says 39 Sunday, 38 Monday and so on. I am assuming the so on does not continue down to 30 as of yet though.

Its getting close........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Super stuff, just one more age bracket til I can register :pac:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭kg703

I'm actually so so freaking annoyed. All week from Stephen donnelly and MM they said 30-39. Now it's 35-39. It'll be weeks again before the register opens up. Really really disappointed

• Advertisement

kg703 wrote: »
    I'm actually so so freaking annoyed. All week from Stephen donnelly and MM they said 30-39. Now it's 35-39. It'll be weeks again before the register opens up. Really really disappointed

Getting registered is only one hurdle. I registered 17 days ago and I don't have my first appointment yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Responder XY

Disappointing, but not surprising. I think when they said 30s it was always going to be in the same pattern as before. Hopefully they will just roll straight through to the 30-34 group with a minimum break.

Thats the way its been done the whole way down

It was obvious that it would be a five year age group to start with, like they did with the 40s. There was a two week gap between 49 year olds and 44 year olds registering. There are a lot of people in the 35-45 bracket to get through, if you let early 30s register now they'd be waiting a lot longer than three weeks for a vaccine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Getting registered is only one hurdle. I registered 17 days ago and I don't have my first appointment yet.

Pretty similar. Registered 15 days ago and still no word, but loads of people in Wicklow of similar/younger ages have been getting their appointments. Won't worry too much until it's gone past three weeks since registration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,389 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

So this time next week i can register, sweet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭kg703

Flying Fox wrote: »
    It was obvious that it would be a five year age group to start with, like they did with the 40s. There was a two week gap between 49 year olds and 44 year olds registering. There are a lot of people in the 35-45 bracket to get through, if you let early 30s register now they'd be waiting a lot longer than three weeks for a vaccine.

Yeah they did the 50s all in one go though straight through. I just don't know why they would announce it like 30-39 when it was always going to be 35-39. I understand the wait and the quantities that have to be gotten through. I'm just very excited to get my vaccine and disappointed that they got my hopes up that I might get one in the next couple of weeks.

Allow me my misery and moaning please :)

Big numbers of second doses to manage over the next few weeks so a need to split that group. It'll come your way soon enough.

• Advertisement

Yeah they did the 50s all in one go though straight through. I just don't know why they would announce it like 30-39 when it was always going to be 35-39. I understand the wait and the quantities that have to be gotten through. I'm just very excited to get my vaccine and disappointed that they got my hopes up that I might get one in the next couple of weeks.

Allow me my misery and moaning please :)
    They are a much smaller decade than what's below them.

Advertisement