Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Can anyone explain to me how they’ll work through age groups come July with only 200k arriving weekly?
    It’ll be dog slow?
    I’m getting increasingly frustrated as I see perfectly healthy people in their twenties who work at home get vaccinated before me,
    I’ve been at the Coalface of this pandemic from start working in a supermarket.
    Booked an appointment with my GP for a check up who has previously refused to put me on a standby list for next Tuesday. There’s also been an outbreak at my workplace with 8 people testing positive.
    I’m right today that I am worried I’ll bring covid home with me, I certainly don’t want to with two young children and my wife.
    I’ll be putting my case forward to be jabbed if his got any spare.
    The outbreak at work has annoyed me more then anything!

I gave my thoughts on it here. In short it will grind to a halt in early July. It will pick up again in early August.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Cork2021

eoinbn wrote: »
    I gave my thoughts on it here. In short it will grind to a halt in early July. It will pick up again in early August.

Thanks EoinBn

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

Are Pfizer expected to deliver more per week in August than the 200,000 doses per week in July? And has it been known before now that there would be only 200k p/w to start Q3 from Pfizer?

Taoiseach only told his parliamentary party last night that we'd be doing 340000 a week going forward. Spoofer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭rameire

Two friends age 41, both got texts late this afternoon.
    Vaccinations are this coming Monday and Tuesday at the Helix.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement

Lyle wrote: »
    Are Pfizer expected to deliver more per week in August than the 200,000 doses per week in July? And has it been known before now that there would be only 200k p/w to start Q3 from Pfizer?

Taoiseach only told his parliamentary party last night that we'd be doing 340000 a week going forward. Spoofer

We aren't expected to get an increase from Pfizer in August. We might get one from Moderna as they will have finished their original contract with the US. Sweden is expecting 3m doses in Q3 from Moderna. Ireland might not have taken up all of our Modena allocation so I can't say how much we would get in Q3. It is possible that we could get 100-150k per week in the second half of Q3.

The reason why first doses will jump in August is as follows...

If we need to use our supply for second doses in July then we won't be doing many first doses in July. No first doses in July means no second doses in August which means we can use August's supply for first doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭deeperlearning

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I know it for an absolute fact as their mother told me and said they were not in cohort 7 . She asked about my daughter in cohort 7 because hers are not and got called .

You do not know for an absolute fact.

Not every young adult shares every aspect of their medical details with their mother. If they are over 18, their mother does not have access to their medical files.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 aigne

Thanks for all the information on this Board.

Disappointed that it sounds like the pace will be plateauing or reducing in July. A long road still it seems until the youngest adults are vaccinated, with a lot of them with a) jobs that with high exposure and b) the most to lose socially in those formative years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭omicron

I reckon if first doses for under 30s don't start til August it'll be very hard to get herd immunity. Healthy people.in their 20s aren't worrying too much about covid from their own point of view, and the excitement and eagerness to get vaccines as society still isn't open will have waned. Summer foreign holidays won't be possible as second doses won't start til September which could result in much poorer uptake than forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

I have to say all those people who said the HSE would make a mess of this before we got any supply and then went on to say fine they are doing ok now in the first fee weeks but will make a mess of this when we big weekly numbers have been proven wrong.

By all those people i mean myself!

i was on here complaining about a few individual things about the rollout but that was based in an individual GP, in general a very good job has been done to date.

I know job is only half done but Mr McCraith and all involved, good stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

We aren't expected to get an increase from Pfizer in August. We might get one from Moderna as they will have finished their original contract with the US. Sweden is expecting 3m doses in Q3 from Moderna. Ireland might not have taken up all of our Modena allocation so I can't say how much we would get in Q3. It is possible that we could get 100-150k per week in the second half of Q3.

The reason why first doses will jump in August is as follows...

If we need to use our supply for second doses in July then we won't be doing many first doses in July. No first doses in July means no second doses in August which means we can use August's supply for first doses.

With that considered it sounds like we might hit a similar scenario as we get into September where we're prioritising second doses for the 30 - 34 cohort? Doesn't inspire massive confidence in getting doses down into the twenties before summer is out and with all the talk from Harris of third level resuming as normal in September as well as major events like Electric Picnic that'll be overwhelmingly attended by the people in their twenties, it's not ideal.

Very frustrating, feeling quite blindsided by this, never considered that the rollout would end up slowing in the coming months. We have no indication what threshold we need to get past before Holohan and the government decide to let us loose properly so this might end up dragging on for weeks or months longer than I thought it would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

You do not know for an absolute fact.

Not every young adult shares every aspect of their medical details with their mother. If they are over 18, their mother does not have access to their medical files.
    This is all a bit of a red herring. A few friends of mine have all been offered spare doses / put on "reserve lists" for the day and I guess I can only take their word that they were not vaccinated yet because they had no underlying conditions, but why would they lie about that? Most of them if they had susceptible conditions, would have been vaccinated a month or so before, like one friend's husband.

It seems to me like the most likely explanation is that doctors, for better or worse, are picking additional people to add to their list for vaccine orders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

This is all a bit of a red herring. A few friends of mine have all been offered spare doses / put on "reserve lists" for the day and I guess I can only take their word that they were not vaccinated yet because they had no underlying conditions, but why would they lie about that? Most of them if they had susceptible conditions, would have been vaccinated a month or so before, like one friend's husband.

It seems to me like the most likely explanation is that doctors, for better or worse, are picking additional people to add to their list for vaccine orders.

No secrets in my local GP, they are doing everyone over 18. Nurse told me they got all their vulnerable patients done and are getting a steady supply of Pfizer.

I'm 24 no underlying illnesses and have been jabbed. So have almost all 20 years olds in my town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,066 ✭✭✭✭josip

No secrets in my local GP, they are doing everyone over 18. Nurse told me they got all their vulnerable patients done and are getting a steady supply of Pfizer.

I'm 24 no underlying illnesses and have been jabbed. So have almost all 20 years olds in my town.

I thought the GP orders the vaccine doses?
    Why would the GP continue to order doses if all of their Cohort 7 patients are done?
    It sounds like they're trying to curry favour with their own patients, instead of letting the Pfizer supply go to the MVCs where it's needed to get through older people.
    And/or I think some of the GPs are trying to maximise the money they're getting for doing vaccinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

I thought increased Pfizer was on the way after the increase in capacity in the Puurs plant in Belgium roughly 3 weeks ago. It said at the time there would be an immediate impact but reading over the last couple of pages its looking quite bleak if you want vaxxed and are young for the majority of the summer.

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    I thought increased Pfizer was on the way after the increase in capacity in the Puurs plant in Belgium roughly 3 weeks ago. It said at the time there would be an immediate impact but reading over the last couple of pages its looking quite bleak if you want vaxxed and are young for the majority of the summer.

Usually those increases are already factored in well in advance. At the end of May the EMA officially green lit the changes that increased our supply from 180k to 280k. That increase in supply was forecast as early as April, if not earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No great gain? So we shouldn't do it? I think it might be harder to prioritise those who had no confirmed covid infection, unless administration was done on an ongoing basis with GPs who knew what patients they could rule out via positive test results. Sounds unworkable tbh, but I like the idea in principle.
    The original proposal was to stop older groups being put at risk and vaccinations have taken care of that. As we are now about to register the 35-39, all it would do is just swap in the under 30s instead. That really makes no sense now in a system working downwards in age but it did as a possible option back in February.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Same in my GPS. Myself and my husband were done last week. Both mid 30s with no underlying conditions. The day we were there they were doing our age, the previous day they were doing those a year older and so on. We have our second appointment for early July. They are flying through vaccinations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

‘The morning after the night before’: I’m happy to report zero side effects since having my second shot of Pfizer yesterday. Just a slight tender arm.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

josip wrote: »
    Why would the GP continue to order doses if all of their Cohort 7 patients are done?
    It sounds like they're trying to curry favour with their own patients, instead of letting the Pfizer supply go to the MVCs where it's needed to get through older people.
    And/or I think some of the GPs are trying to maximise the money they're getting for doing vaccinations.
    Your post is as sour as can be and is now becoming a common one among those who are still not jabbed.

Unless you work in or part of a GP practice, you really have no idea what the protocols are for a GP ordering doses. There is currently no supply issues in MVCs, and if a GP has covered everyone in cohert 4 and 7, and if our older people are covered nationally, then it makes sense for GPs to continue doing what they are doing.

Overall it means the next groups will have less people who require a jab and it supplements the MVC process. But continue to think GPs are going rogue if you like, keeping it a secret from the HSE, just to get some extra cash.

• Advertisement

delly wrote: »
    Your post is as sour as can be and is now becoming a common one among those who are still not jabbed.

Unless you work in or part of a GP practice, you really have no idea what the protocols are for a GP ordering doses. There is currently no supply issues in MVCs, and if a GP has covered everyone in cohert 4 and 7, and if our older people are covered nationally, then it makes sense for GPs to continue doing what they are doing.

Overall it means the next groups will have less people who require a jab and it supplements the MVC process. But continue to think GPs are going rogue if you like, keeping it a secret from the HSE, just to get some extra cash.

Er, there are protocols for GPs at the moment, they're only meant to be organising doses for over 70s, cohort 4 and 7. If they're done with them then they shouldn't be getting doses.

If they are getting doses for 4 and 7 and end up with spares then fair enough, but ordering doses for everyone on the books is taking the piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Er, there are protocols for GPs at the moment, they're only meant to be organising doses for over 70s, cohort 4 and 7. If they're done with them then they shouldn't be getting doses.

If they are getting doses for 4 and 7 and end up with spares then fair enough, but ordering doses for everyone on the books is taking the piss.

None of the above is true. They have been asked to move through the age groups also since the start of June. And they are not required to wait for whatever age the local MVC is at either, just get them out as quick as they can.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    None of the above is true. They have been asked to move through the age groups also since the start of June. And they are not required to wait for whatever age the local MVC is at either, just get them out as quick as they can.

Not true. GPs can give can spare doses to younger people to avoid wastage. They cannot order doses for those people.

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/gps-get-power-to-use-spare-vaccines-on-younger-cohorts-40489901.html

Not true. GPs can give can spare doses to younger people to avoid wastage. They cannot order doses for those people.

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/gps-get-power-to-use-spare-vaccines-on-younger-cohorts-40489901.html

Well they have been allowed to do so since the start of June, and have been doing so, regardless of what any article on the Independent says. ICGP confirmed this to all GPs in late May.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Well they have been allowed to do so since the start of June, and have been doing so, regardless of what any article on the Independent says. ICGP confirmed this to all GPs in late May.

ICGP don't call the shots. As far as I am aware there has been no change in official policy.
    Doesn't really bother me that much. I have no issue waiting a month longer. Others might feel different.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

That article is nearly 3 weeks old and in the current post cyber attack period and delta, it may as well be 3 months old. As I said, unless you are connected to the process, any views of it being right or wrong are conjecture. But if practices are not making it a secret, you can be damn sure it's done with HSE approval.

It doesn't stop the begrudging attitude though, of what is a logical approach to increasing jabs that would otherwise have to wait.

ICGP don't call the shots. As far as I am aware there has been no change in official policy.
    Doesn't really bother me that much. I have no issue waiting a month longer. Others might feel different.

I'm well aware ICGP don't call the shots, but they are going to provide GPs with the correct information and not disseminate something they made up on the fly.

Fact of the matter is that GPs have been asked to assist, on a voluntary basis since the start of this month, with the age based rollout if they are finished their at risk groups, and can move down the age groups as quickly as their practice capacity can allow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,382 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

josip wrote: »

Because they are paid to do it! It might skirt outside the edges and I wish I’d known it was available but ultimately those practices which can efficiently do this are probably assisting the rollout although it will be out of the published order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

What's the current projection for end of July vaccine wise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Saw from the NPHET briefing yesterday that NIAC will issue advice soon on whether or not Ireland should offer vaccines to the under-16 age group (and presumably 12+ as per EMA authorisation)

Wondering what they will decide ?

Personally, I would like Parents to have the choice to vaccinate their own children.

Advertisement