Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's Cabra West like to live in?

Options
  • 21-05-2021 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Would love to hear people's honest opinions on Cabra West. I'm thinking about purchasing a house there and I'm getting mixed reviews. I've lived in Dublin 7 for years and love the area. Cabra seems to be somewhat affordable, or at least just about in my budget and I'm forever hearing to stay to the east side. There's some great options that pop up on the west side close to the broombridge luas stop around broombridge Rd/Killala Rd/Carnlough Rd and even along Faussagh Ave. Is it really as bad as people make it out to be? I've only ever visited during the day time on a number of occasions and never seen any trouble. I get that in the past parts may have been rough but you get that everywhere. Is it still fairly on the rough side? Or are there areas of the west that are also grand, and areas of the west you should avoid?

Cheers in advance for any info!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

My grandparents were in Carnlough, in the keyhole, Cabra West, unless things have changed it’s a nice community, very little trouble occurring... it’s in fact now a seriously desirable area, good public transport links to the city... Luas, bus, and a host of amenities in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Broombridge station and Bannow Road used to be absolutely awful, but have improved immensely since the primary school, Luas and Technological University Dublin have been added. Some houses looking quite unkempt, but things improving du to Luas.

Shops on Fassaugh Avenue, but supermarkets a distance away Tesco (Maple Centre, Navan Road or Phibsborough or Park Shopping Centre, Prussia Street), Aldi (Pelletstown) and Lidl (Old Cabra Road or Finglas Road).

Primary Care Centre on Navan Road, but I've not noticed many other doctors or dentists.

Variety of schools. Library on Navan Road.

Cabra Sports & Community Centre in John Paul II Park on Ratoath Road.

The local pubs look like places to avoid.

Luas, Irish Rail, bus 40e, 120, 122 or go to Navan Road / Cabra Road / Old Cabra Road for 38, 38a, 38b, 38d, 39, 39a (24 hour), 39x, 70.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

As my uncle once said, the best part of Cabra is the part thats between the old & new cabra road;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Molina

I haven’t lived there myself, but know two people who did. One lived on Dingle Road (about a decade ago, so not sure how helpful this is). He found it safe during the day, very handy for getting to town, but always got a taxi home after a night out & didn’t go near the local pubs. He was there a few years and the worst trouble he had was kids on the street yelling in the morning. They once threw stones at his windows when he had a party (I was there), but he was surprised at that.

A colleague of mine lived there recently (near Broombridge). She didn’t like the general atmosphere (Gardaí called to neighbours a few times, kids on bikes hanging around the station) so moved out after a year, but she never had any trouble either. She thought it was a bit rough by the shops after a certain time.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 doneyrotten

Nice one folk! Really appreciate the info! Thanks!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

On the other side, google "Inside the K"; which was a Virgin Media "reality TV thing last year, that the Garda K district is the busiest in Ireland and Covers Cabra, Blanch, and Finglas.

While lots of Cabra is great, there are bad egg's there for sure..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

West Cabra up by Broombridge is just a bit of a dead zone.

Heading down towards Swilly Road, etc., nearer to the Big Tesco, is quite nice, good amenities and handy transport links. I'd say south of Fassaugh Avenue is better but it's a bit of an arbitrary distinction. Also remains to be seen how all the new construction on the old railway land affects the area, but probably for the better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

On the other side, google "Inside the K"; which was a Virgin Media "reality TV thing last year, that the Garda K district is the busiest in Ireland and Covers Cabra, Blanch, and Finglas.

Yes I saw that show and it didn't paint Cabra in a good light..in fact it was a quite depressing show on lawlessness in the area. However it probably isn't like that in reality in all areas...that's the issue with those types of shows..paints the whole place with the same brush..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Very little of the show was set in Cabra.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Would love to hear people's honest opinions on Cabra West. I'm thinking about purchasing a house there and I'm getting mixed reviews. I've lived in Dublin 7 for years and love the area. Cabra seems to be somewhat affordable, or at least just about in my budget and I'm forever hearing to stay to the east side. There's some great options that pop up on the west side close to the broombridge luas stop around broombridge Rd/Killala Rd/Carnlough Rd and even along Faussagh Ave. Is it really as bad as people make it out to be? I've only ever visited during the day time on a number of occasions and never seen any trouble. I get that in the past parts may have been rough but you get that everywhere. Is it still fairly on the rough side? Or are there areas of the west that are also grand, and areas of the west you should avoid?

Cheers in advance for any info!
    I bought in Carnlough in November - absolutely no trouble whatsoever so far, neighbours are lovely, and it's quiet. Great transport links and good shop access too. Biggest problem I've had is the amount of dog poo on the streets, which as bad as it is, shows that there's not really a lot of issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

Very little of the show was set in Cabra.

agreed, only two scenes :

fellas on scramblers

a mental health crisis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Re: pubs.

The Homestead is a lovely quiet, comfortable, cosy pub that I'd have no bother going for a pint in any time.
    Crowd are grand, but more importantly, the place is well run.

Well, it was the last time I was there, which admittedly is a while.

The other places are "interesting." The Oasis (not its name, just known as that by everyone) was always wild, videos of people bringing horses into it etc.
    My lasting memory was that everyone smoked in it long after the smoking ban was introduced.

As a place to live, I'd have no hesitations, although I'd have my wits about me moving around late at night, and also make sure I didn't upset the local scrotes, if it could be avoided.
    They can make anyone's life difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would be far from certain the Oasis/Cabra House will reopen, it was sold for redevelopment.

Advertisement