Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Henry Cavill has been cast in The Highlander reboot

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,342 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Highlander II is one of the worst sequels ever made. I don't mean that flippantly it is utter Battlefield Earth Zardoz level nonsense.

Completely ignored by anything that came after.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Zardoz is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,696 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Reported budget of 100+ million? JFC does Hollywood learn nothing bomb to bomb? And Blumhouse are right over there, knocking out cheap hits and making bank off tiny budgets. Exorcist notwithstanding?

As preemptive as it might be, am gonna stick my neck out and say this is gonna flop cos Highlander was many things but it started as relatively cheap 80s trash - not some tentpole IP redo.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Will they try and reuse Queen or will they try and modernise it by using someone like Taylor Swift or Harry Styles?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

A while back I rewatched the original film, having been quite fond of it (and, for my sins, a fair bit of the TV series) when I was younger.

It is not a good film, and relies a lot on good music and mood to get by. And it only gets worse with the sequels (though I haven't seen the most recent one).

I honestly don't understand why someone would think this is a smart play for a big-budget film project. A constrained budget with a clever, innovative team who are given creative freedom (possibly coupled with a TV rather than film format) might have a better chance, but this feels like it's going to land on its arse and a bunch of execs will stand around wondering how that's possible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A constrained budget with a clever, innovative team who are given creative freedom (possibly coupled with a TV rather than film format) might have a better chance, but this feels like it's going to land on its arse and a bunch of execs will stand around wondering how that's possible.

Pitched it as a theory before but. Substitute Highlander for Terminator, Aliens, RoboCop, Halloween, Predator, etc etc... it keeps happening that there's this belief you can take a previously scrappy, low budget films with sometimes subversive hearts and turn them into corporate, executive driven projects. Or you give it to David Gordon Green and it goes to shít in a different way?

I see they're trying to do Toxic Avenger again, and it's supposedly gonna be a hard R so maybe some people remember to keep the heart of these things intact.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It's just mindboggling - even the first film didn't do particularly well financially against its estimated $16M budget, so the notion of throwing ten times that at it (and doing the increasingly-common franchise-first approach) makes no sense to me.

The Toxic Avenger remake has a good cast but the more important thing is having Lloyd Kaufman of Troma involved; it's not a guarantee of a good end result, but it at least suggests an attempt to get it right.

To be honest Highlander was better as a TV series and Duncan was better than Conor.

$100m is crazy money to spend on it considering the same team made the first two John Wick movies for about $35m each and were only given bigger budgets for 3&4 when the box office for 2 made a huge profit

Well that makes a huge difference then regards the Toxic Avenger, cos having original voices and creative forces is preferable to some later fanboy obsessed with iconography over depth or context - though Ridley Scott returning to the Alien universe kinda blows out my own theory.

As @Agent Coulson says it's a concept possibly better suited to a TV series than a, snort, 100 million dollar blockbuster. One that was done already with Mark Wahlberg's rather terrible Infinite.

• Advertisement

Netflix also did it with Charlize Theron in The Old Guard which has a sequel coming soon.

The Old Guard had a $70m budget which is a Netflix throw money at everything budget.

I wll say I did enjoy The Old Guard.

Oh yeah forgot the Old Guard. Think a lot of that money was on Theron cos I thought it looked like a TV pilot half the time.

Yeah, the Old Guard was a bit of a swing and a miss for me - but then, between a lack of confidence in its own material in the writing and the original comic being nothing much to write home about, I didn't think it was ever going to be great...

• Registered Users Posts: 86,695 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

New Lionsgate film(s) confirmed at CinemaCon 2024

Highlander directed by Chad Stahelski.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭p to the e

Lizzo has been cancelled I'm afraid. Hopefully Busted get back together for it.

Who would have thought that Highlander really would be immortal. Despite some valiant attempts (The Quickening, The Source) it just won't die.

The movie is absolutely amazing but its got that inexplicable 80's movie thing that just somehow worked in that moment in time. I loved the TV show (don't know if it holds up) but it's also a movie series famous for one of the most terrible sequels ever and over has more bad incarnations than good.

Very brave and probably stupid to try recreate the kind of magic that was the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Right you are, forgot about her backup danger sage. We might be able to reform McBusted for the soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,695 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Drew McIntyre needs to be in it, even just a cameo

• Advertisement
Advertisement