Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing 6 GU 5.3 Halogen Spots with LED Equivalents?

Options
  • 22-05-2021 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭

Want to replace 6 Halogen GU 5.3 spots in the ceiling of my Kitchen with LED's but research is giving conflicting information. Some say I need to replace the Halogen AC/DC 12v Transformer/s for an LED compatible one otherwise they'll flicker or not work at all apparently, while others say its a straight swap.

The Halogen fittings were installed during renovations in 2010. The Halogens have never lasted very long. Back in 2010 I don't think any made it to 2011 alive and we stopped using them. However, last year I changed them all to new Halogen bulbs and 4 of the 6 stopped working within days while 2 still work a year later. We're all 10 years older in this house and eyesight starting to deteriorate with age as we hit middle age and could do having brighter light for reading etc on the Ceiling spots side of the kitchen, which is why I want to start using the ceiling spots again having not bothered to turn them on for most of the last decade. Hoping LED spots are more reliable/have greater longevity than the trash Halogens.

Is it one transformer for the 6 bulbs or does each bulb have its own transformer. Is the transformer/s in the Fuse box or are they beside one or all of the actual bulb locations. ie. would one remove the halogen bulb and fitting from the ceiling and fish out the transformer through the hole in the ceiling?

Is this DIY'able?

Should I just buy a replacement set of GU 5.3 LED's to replace my ceiling GU 5.3 Halogens and try them. If they work perfect then great, if they flicker or don't work at all it means I need to change the transformer/s too?? I'm not going to permanently damage anything or create a fire risk by trying the GU 5.3 LED's as a straight swap first before going down the new transformer/s route?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,746 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I would probably just swap out with GU10 spots, I've a bunch of GU5.3 in the kitchen that will or won't take an LED bulb depending on the transformer (noting some are 20-30 years old), I've been swapping them over slowly as we renovate the house (and move the better transformers to the remaining GU5.3).

In my case, each fitting had it's own transformer, it will depend on the transformer rating how many bulbs they can handle each (and beware of following that rating as they get hot and can cause fires).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I swapped out some 12v MR11 bulbs for 12v LED MR11 bulbs. I beleive you want actual wire wound step down transformers, not the electronic ones. I mostly have the former, and even so, the failure rate has been about 40% withiin 3 years.

IMO, LEDs are expensive, highly prone to their power circuitry failing and don't get anywhere near their supposed LED lifespan and will never pay for their considerable cost through reduced energy consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

I'd say the reason your halogens never lasted is that they were handled by naked hands.

They get hot and oils from skin burn on the glass creating more geat which kills the bulb

Always wear gloves or use a tissue when changing halogens.

Obviously leds are the future but if your transformers dont suit leds, this knowledge could be handy if you can't change the drivers immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

jumbone wrote: »
    I'd say the reason your halogens never lasted is that they were handled by naked hands.

They get hot and oils from skin burn on the glass creating more geat which kills the bulb

Always wear gloves or use a tissue when changing halogens.

Obviously leds are the future but if your transformers dont suit leds, this knowledge could be handy if you can't change the drivers immediately

This is not an issue for sealed quartz hallogens of the MR 11, GU 5.3 type. The bit sensitive to skin oils is the quartz bulb envelope which is sealed away inside so it can't be touched by bare fingers. The external pyrex/glass envelope is not sensitive to bare fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

cnocbui wrote: »
    This is not an issue for sealed quartz hallogens of the MR 11, GU 5.3 type. The bit sensitive to skin oils is the quartz bulb envelope which is sealed away inside so it can't be touched by bare fingers. The external pyrex/glass envelope is not sensitive to bare fingers.

You know, that makes perfect sense but I never realised before now!

I don't have any gu5.3 lights but I've always handled halogen gu10s with gloves based on my experience with short lived g4s in my cooker hood before I was told about the oils

• Advertisement
Advertisement