Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Railways

• 22-05-2021 7:12pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

See the UK is ending rail franchising and bringing all it's train operations under one brand through a new tendering system similar to TFL. Wonder what people's thoughts on this. Don't like the name myself something like UK Rail or Rail UK would sound better if they want to avoid reintroducing the British Rail name.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

GT89 wrote: »
    See the UK is ending rail franchising and bringing all it's train operations under one brand through a new tendering system similar to TFL. Wonder what people's thoughts on this. Don't like the name myself something like UK Rail or Rail UK would sound better if they want to avoid reintroducing the British Rail name.

Well that would be wrong because it only covers Britain, not the whole of the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,808 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

GB Rail would work... easier for branding.

When I hear Great British Railways I am expecting Portillo to pop up in a colourful blazer....

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I am not sure it will achieve its objective and might not ever be fully implemented as announced.

Lots of people have a problem with privatisation but to a degree these companies have been the scapegoat for all the problems when its not the case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    I am not sure it will achieve its objective and might not ever be fully implemented as announced.

Lots of people have a problem with privatisation but to a degree these companies have been the scapegoat for all the problems when its not the case.

Not really as this system is already operating in the UK atm as since covid the UK government has taken the revenue hit not train operators basically what this is confirming that the current model with covid is what is going to continue long term.

The trains will still be run by private operators just they will be put out to tender and will operate under the Great British Railways brand like the way Go-Ahead run bus routes under contract for the NTA. All the farebox revenue will go Great British Railways now instead of partly going to the train operators.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Well that would be wrong because it only covers Britain, not the whole of the UK.

Actually coming to think about it they could've just kept the National Rail brand and operated train services under that brand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭SeanW

They probably want to keep National Rail solely focused on infrastructure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,411 ✭✭✭✭L1011

National Rail was a bookings and info service. Network Rail is the infrastructure operator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

GT89 wrote: »
    Not really as this system is already operating in the UK atm as since covid the UK government has taken the revenue hit not train operators basically what this is confirming that the current model with covid is what is going to continue long term.

The trains will still be run by private operators just they will be put out to tender and will operate under the Great British Railways brand like the way Go-Ahead run bus routes under contract for the NTA. All the farebox revenue will go Great British Railways now instead of partly going to the train operators.

Doesn't matter who runs the services. Delayed Trains, Overcrowding, Schedule Screw Ups, Infrastructure Cuts, High Fares (particularly into the future), Service Cuts (very possible), Work Practice Reforms will not just disappear.

Will it improve things prehaps however I think the changes will not deliver what the passengers expect no matter how its spun.

I do like the commitment reduce repetitious and annoying pre-recorded announcements on services and eradicate uncomfortable ironing-board seating. Not something IE or NTA management give a second taught to here as they have the luxury of not having to use PT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

We can discuss the branding etc, but there is a serious issue which affects not just railways in (G) Britain, but also railway service here in Ireland.
    Since the relaxation of covid restrictions, road traffic is almost up to pre-covid levels. Rail passenger occupancy is only running at about 10% of capacity. Station car parks are almost empty, both Irish Rail and Luas.
    This is because the public are voting with their feet, they perceive public transport as risky, while the private car is safe.
    Regardless of whether the government permits 50% or 100% occupancy, actual numbers of passengers will remain very low, possibly for many years.
    When the government starts to come to terms with the growing debt, it may not be willing to continue funding empty trains.
    Just a thought, we can't take everything for granted.

Advertisement