Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import fees/VAT on frameset from UK

Options
  • 22-05-2021 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

I know this is somewhere on the Brexit threads here but could find it.
    What are the duties and VAT due on getting frameset shipped from UK?
    From private seller rather than company.
    Help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Depends. Is the seller stating that they can deliver it duty paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Alanbt

bazermc wrote: »
    Depends. Is the seller stating that they can deliver it duty paid?

No. Haven’t gone as far as finding courier yet. Posted in separate thread looking for someone with recent experience
    Looking to ascertain likely hit on top of price to see if feasible

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Broadly speaking:

Customs value = cost of item + shipping charges + insurance

Customs duty = Customs value * customs duty rate

...the customs duty rate depends on the category of item. There is a TARIC database which details all of the categories, I've tried to use the database in the past and I find it head-melting to try to find the right category. If the frameset "originates" in the UK then I believe that no customs duty applies, I guess this would be the case if the frameset was manufactured in the UK. And no customs duty applies if the cost of the item is less than €150.

VAT charge = (Customs value + Customs duty) * VAT rate

Admin fee = whatever the shipping company applies (An Post charge €10, not sure what others charge)

So the cost to you is: Customs duty + VAT charge + Admin fee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Alanbt

doozerie wrote: »
    Broadly speaking:

Customs value = cost of item + shipping charges + insurance

Customs duty = Customs value * customs duty rate

...the customs duty rate depends on the category of item. There is a TARIC database which details all of the categories, I've tried to use the database in the past and I find it head-melting to try to find the right category. If the frameset "originates" in the UK then I believe that no customs duty applies, I guess this would be the case if the frameset was manufactured in the UK. And no customs duty applies if the cost of the item is less than €150.

VAT charge = (Customs value + Customs duty) * VAT rate

Admin fee = whatever the shipping company applies (An Post charge €10, not sure what others charge)

So the cost to you is: Customs duty + VAT charge + Admin fee

Cheers for that. Yeah it’s a pain in the arse to figure this stuff out. I pulled out of buying it as estimated additional charges would be too much.
    Frameset manufactured in USA so per above customs duties would apply. Plus VAT.
    Annoying as UK second hand market has some decent options

Advertisement