Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner / Novice tabard question.....

• 23-05-2021 2:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭

So, a query on L or N tabbards...

My young had passed his A1 test last year and so wears an N tabbard.

Today he started out on A2 LP. Its been suggested he needs to back to an L one.

Now my understanding is that you only wear an L once. That, having passed a test you are officially an N rider.

Anybody come across this or got a link to something relevant on the subject??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

I would assume its classed as another licence so he has to? I mean if you passed your car test 10 years ago and went driving a bike you'd be on an L?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

galwaytt wrote: »

Now my understanding is that you only wear an L once. That, having passed a test you are officially an N rider.

Anybody come across this or got a link to something relevant on the subject??

Yes, whoever advised you is correct, back to the L. If he passes his A2 test and 2 years have passed since he passed his A1 then no need for an N vest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭goblin59

Can confirm from last summer when I did my motorcycle Test.
    I was told after my test by the examiner I didn't have to wear the N vest as I had a full license for another category already (Car).
    he will have to wear the L hi-vis while riding in the category he is learning for.
    But once he passes the test, as he already held a license for a year previously he shouldn't need to go to a N tabbard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,027 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If he's only worn the N for a year and then goes back to the L, he'd need to wear the N again when he passes if it is within the 2 years from the original licence being issued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

We really like repeating the same information in different ways on here XD

Please let the weather clear so we can go for a ride rather than hitting refresh on boards all day lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

galwaytt wrote: »

When he's riding an A2 bike then he's on a learner permit, needs L, no motorways, no pillion, no going over the border

If he rides an A1 bike the full licence applies. None of the above restrictions. N tabard for 2 years if it's the first full licence of any class he's held.

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement