Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many appliances can i connect to a single breaker?

Options
  • 23-05-2021 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭

I have a double outlet in a room and i'd like to connect a number appliances to it.
    such as:
    Laptop
    Monitor
    Router
    Speakers
    Couple lamps
    Desk Fan
    Dehumidifier
    Treadmill

How do i determine if this is too much?
    It's a back shed/office space so bringing in more power on an additional breaker may not be very easy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

BluePlanet wrote: »
    I have a double outlet in a room and i'd like to connect a number appliances to it.
    such as:
    Laptop
    Monitor
    Router
    Speakers
    Couple lamps
    Desk Fan
    Dehumidifier
    Treadmill

How do i determine if this is too much?
    It's a back shed/office space so bringing in more power on an additional breaker may not be very easy.

Find the power rating (watts) of each item an divide by 230 (voltage) and that's a starting point on what your current draw will be.

Then you'll need to find out if it's a dedicated circuit ran in or is it taped off of another circuit. If the later what else is on this circuit?

There are other factors aswell which this thread will likely get lost in, cable length, cable size, isolation, losses etc but tick off the easy ones above first and more answers will come.

I wouldn't be too worried about the smaller items it's the dehumidifier and treadmill will likely have the largest power rating.

In all likelyhood what you've listed should be fine but I would get some additional sockets added instead of using those multi leads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Prev.

You can distribute to smaller loads no problem

The larger loads as said above, treadmill and dehumidifier you need to check the rating

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Once i find out the estimated draw, what is the capacity of the actual breaker?

Once i find out the estimated draw, what is the capacity of the actual breaker?

You'll have to see for yourself at your board. If a modern installation it could be 20A if an older board it could be a 16A fuse. The circuit to the shed could be coming off of a spur fused at 13A. How old is the house?

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    You'll have to see for yourself at your board. If a modern installation it could be 20A if an older board it could be a 16A fuse. The circuit to the shed could be coming off of a spur fused at 13A. How old is the house?
    Well the house is very old but the electricity doesn't look too old.
    The breaker says:
    Hager
    MV 120
    B 20
    230/400V

• Advertisement

Well the house is very old but the electricity doesn't look too old.
    The breaker says:
    Hager
    MV 120
    B 20
    230/400V

It's a 20A mcb so, Does anything else go off when you switch it off?

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    It's a 20A mcb so, Does anything else go off when you switch it off?
    The breaker is for everything in the back garden.
    Normally there's nothing on unless i switch something on, like garden lights or use an outlet for a power tool.

The breaker is for everything in the back garden.
    Normally there's nothing on unless i switch something on, like garden lights or use an outlet for a power tool.

You should be good to go so. The house was likely rewired at some point and they must've allowed for power to the back garden/shed.

At a rough guesstimate your dehumidifier is probably less than 500w and treadmill less than 800w along with the other things you've mentioned I doubt you'll touch 10A.

I have similar set up less the dehumidifier and no issues on a stand alone circuit. As for the multi leads they should be fine as they're fused themselves probably at 13A and some will have surge protectors built in.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

20a breaker and in a shed is likely to be a radial

You can have up to 10 double sockets on a radial

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

A double socket will be rated for 20 amps typically. They arent fused at 20a but you shouldnt pull more than 20a through it continuously. Although that advice is more pertinent in the case of say a 32a ring given that your breaker would trip with even a momentary 20a load

• Advertisement
Advertisement