Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Does it Cost More to Build a House in Dublin than Other Counties?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Villa05 wrote: »
    So what, your pension is the most diversified investment product on the market, or at least should be

I'd doubt if a cleaner is being paid much more in Dublin compared to Limerick for example

Rent allowance and Family income supplement makes up the difference
    Yet another example of how unaffordable property is a drain on the state

I'm referring to a domestic cleaner someone that comes to your house 3 hours a week not a salaried commercial cleaner.

TheSheriff wrote: »
    From reading the previous points, I don't believe that's what was proven at all.

So you don't think the Meath builder will charge me more for work in Dublin rather then Cavan?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

bubblypop wrote: »
    So you don't think the Meath builder will charge me more for work in Dublin rather then Cavan?

They may, and as the Builder is an independent trader, they are entitled to quote you what they think you will pay. Free enterprise, it’s a bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

I am not sure what point you are trying to prove here?

Of course the Meath builder will charge you more for work in Dublin rather than Cavan.

As pointed out several times, this increased cost of work in Dublin is likely justified with the builders increased cost for conducting work in a capital city in combination with the free market.

Not sure where you are going with this; there is no reality where a capital city project should cost the same as a rural project. This is head in the sky stuff.

I am not sure what point you are trying to prove here?

Of course the Meath builder will charge you more for work in Dublin rather than Cavan.

As pointed out several times, this increased cost of work in Dublin is likely justified with the builders increased cost for conducting work in a capital city in combination with the free market.

Not sure where you are going with this; there is no reality where a capital city project should cost the same as a rural project. This is head in the sky stuff.

You seem to be completely missing the point!
    What increased costs are there for a Meath builder doing work in Dublin as opposed to doing the same work in Cavan?
    They can charge whatever They want, and they do. The point is, if they can build a house for 200K in the countryside, then they can build the same house in Dublin for 299K.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

That's not true. It will cost the same. If it is the same fast food restaurant,it will be exactly the same, drink and everything.

No they do not costs the same. Invidual restaurants with group chains charge different prices similar to Centra and SuperValu's. They are independent operators using a franchise. Franchise owners cannot set prices as it's generally seen anti compeditive. They may at times set headline prices

https://www.corkbeo.ie/culture/food-drink/cheapest-most-expensive-mcdonalds-restaurants-16064095

As well smaller independent fast food restaurants will more often have larger portion sizes of chips/ fries and give you a can instead of a cup

Slava Ukrainii

What increased costs are there for a Meath builder doing work in Dublin as opposed to doing the same work in Cavan?
    They can charge whatever They want, and they do. The point is, if they can build a house for 200K in the countryside, then they can build the same house in Dublin for 299K.

You are asking how free enterprise works and why some traders charge more than others. In reality, you nor I have any way of knowing how the Builder arrives at their quote outside of knowing that it is material costs plus labour. What the Builder charges for their labour is no more quantifiable than what your barber/hairdresser charges for his/her labour. Constantly asking why one person puts a higher value on their service than another is futile, because it is their personal decision. All you can do as a purchaser is compare prices and quality, then decide if the higher price is worth it.

I’m not going to say anymore about the costs of building in Dublin v Leitrim/Cavan, this has been explained to you clearly by a number of posters.

The Meath builder is unlikely to get the job in Cavan. A Cavan builder will undercut him.on price as the job is local. The Meath builder if looking for work not local to him will price Jobs in Dublin as he can recover his extra costs associated with time and labour in that market

Slava Ukrainii

The Meath builder is unlikely to get the job in Cavan. A Cavan builder will undercut him.on price as the job is local. The Meath builder if looking for work not local to him will price Jobs in Dublin as he can recover his extra costs associated with time and labour in that market

Allegedly, Cavan people might be a little more difficult to negotiate a price with. 😜

Dav010 wrote: »

I’m not going to say anymore about the costs of building in Dublin v Leitrim/Cavan, this has been explained to you clearly by a number of posters.

The only explanation is that they can charge more because they feel like it.
    And that's fine, no issue with people charging whatever they want.
    But, posters are adamant that a house cannot be built for the same price, when clearly they can!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

But, posters are adamant that a house cannot be built for the same price, when clearly they can!

I gave you 5 reasons in post 31. Sounds like you’re happy in your echo chamber

You've literally been told the opposite several times, its not only because they can charge more.

This is a strange cross to carry, you are wrong, let it go.

Meath borders cavan.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

thread split from Irish Property Market Chat

You've literally been told the opposite several times, its not only because they can charge more.

This is a strange cross to carry, you are wrong, let it go.

I am not wrong, I asked a question and as yet, no-one can actually answer it, other then builders can charge whatever They want.
    Which is fair enough, but doesn't actually mean costs are more.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What sort of nonsense thread is this.

The OP knows full well salaries are not the same in Dublin versus Leitrim or Waterford or Limerick.

They know this full well they were even given stats already which they chose to ignore.

This waffle about charging what they like because they can is just that. A builder in Dublin has higher input costs the end.

The end.

listermint wrote: »
    What sort of nonsense thread is this.

The OP knows full well salaries are not the same in Dublin versus Leitrim or Waterford or Limerick.

They know this full well they were even given stats already which they chose to ignore.

This waffle about charging what they like because they can is just that. A builder in Dublin has higher input costs the end.

The end.

I employ a builder in Meath to do a job in Dublin
    I employ the same builder to do the same job in Cavan
    Does he charge me the same for both jobs?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

No, the builder will take the Dublin job.

The Cavan job will probably go to a local builder that prefers to work locally.

:rolleyes:

This has been answered already, several times now.

Meath borders cavan.

And it will depend on what part of Meath the builder is from and what part of Cavan the builder is from. They will both price work that is adjacent to them. However the Cavan builder will have access to labour especially if he is from the Northern half of Cavan that us less influenced by Dublin building labour costs than the Meath builder. 10-20 miles nearer to Dublin makes a difference not to mind 40-50.

No small or mid sized builder has electricians or plumbers directly on the books. He subcontracts them in. The builder from North Cavan will have cheaper lads he know local compared to the builder from Meath.

If you were a self employed trades person would you charge exactly the same for work that is ten minutes from you as work that will take 90 minutes travelling each way morning and evening.

I know I wouldn't have especially if there was demand for my services. I make hay while the sun was shining

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Here's why it's so expensive to build in Dublin;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn8HSjitKYQ

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,981 ✭✭✭hometruths

If I own a site in Dublin, outright.
    And I own a site in Leitrim, outright.
    Can I get a house built for the same price on either site? If not, why not?

If Sisk own a large site in Dublin, outright.
    And Sisk own a large site in Leitrim, outright.

Can Sisk get a housing estate built for the same price on either site? If not, why not?

It is definitely not because of the difference in labour rates between north and south Cavan!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

Everyone knows land is more expensive in dublin.
    I am well aware that things cost more in Dublin, like I said, I'm here since 93.

By now you answered my initial argument with Props yourself. Why private builders would not build for the same price in Dublin:
    The value of land value is more + higher construction costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Swindled

I am not wrong, I asked a question and as yet, no-one can actually answer it, other then builders can charge whatever They want.
    Which is fair enough, but doesn't actually mean costs are more.

It's called the law of supply and demand. Housing and Builders are in more demand in Dublin, and in lower supply. Everything in Dublin is generally more expensive, again due to the laws of supply and demand. Any business will charge the maximum price people will pay before they go elsewhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply_and_demand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Swindled wrote: »
    It's called the law of supply and demand. Housing and Builders are in more demand in Dublin, and in lower supply. Everything in Dublin is generally more expensive, again due to the laws of supply and demand. Any business will charge the maximum price people will pay before they go elsewhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply_and_demand

Otherwise known as gouging.

Mav11 wrote: »
    Otherwise known as gouging.

Otherwise known as a free market. Isn’t gouging when you are forced to pay high price for something you need? Few people who build houses get only one quote, and you are not required to accept the highest.

Dav010 wrote: »
    . Isn’t gouging when you are forced to pay high price for something you need?

Correct and providing a home falls squarely into that category.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

But you can buy a house/home for any price you want in Ireland. You might not be able to buy in the area you want - but that's a choice/want, and not the issue of others.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    But you can buy a house/home for any price you want in Ireland. You might not be able to buy in the area you want - but that's a choice/want, and not the issue of others.

I’m sure that you could do the same in azerbaijan or outer mongolia but that’s not the point, is it?

Also I would dispute the notion that you could buy a home for any price you want in Ireland and a quick browse of Daft would support that.

• Advertisement

No it doesn’t. You do not have to build a house, and you do not have to go with the highest quote. If all quotes are similar, that is the market rate, not gouging.

Advertisement