Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great myths of housing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Brian? wrote: »
    Honest you're delusional. When I lived in Ireland my family income was over 150k, but we had 2 kids. A 400k house was about the most we could afford to live in. 320k mortgage at 4.5%.

I moved to the Netherlands, first year here my wife didn't work and my income was about 90k. Bought a house with a 100% mortgage at 1.3% for 375k. Could have had a mortgage as high as 550k at 1.3%.

I was paying more to live in a 3 bed in Celbridge than I am to live in a 4 bed near the centre of Eindhoven.

There is no area I can't afford to live in here. There are houses I can't afford to buy though obviously. If I moved home I would eliminate most of Dublin from my search because I can't afford it. Even with close to 150k savings.

The market in Ireland is broken. It needs massive surgery to fix.

Ok, so if your moved home - why look in Dublin only? You could probably get a lovely house in Cork, or Donegal.

Your giving an example of what it's like in Eindhoven - if you moved to London you might say different. It was your choice to live where you are living.

Should someone who is on the average wage be afford to buy a house in ANY area of Dublin or Ireland that they want to

• Registered Users Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Augeo wrote: »
    Folk sh1tting on about most people earn €30/€50k so they can't buy a €1m house.

But most people couple up also so if most are on €30/€50k they can therefore buy a €240 to €380k ish house which provides plenty options.......... but then the sh1tters on will sh1t on about the single person on €20k for life, forever single and forever not progressing.......... etc etc ...........yawn yawn

Could not agree more, another one of the property programs was a 30 something single journalist living in a house share they implied that they have to live in Dublin turned off after they implied they have to live in Dublin.

What don't those programs have the couple on 35k each who saved for years and brought in Bettystown or Lucan which is much more reflective of reality?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,050 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i never said anything about expensive areas.

you are taking my posts out of context then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭ec18

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    once again, the big picture, what has in fact caused our current situation of high property price inflation v's low wage inflation, this didnt just happen out of the blue?

35k each, you d be lucky to buy a shed for that!

I just don't get what you want? people to be paid more? uniform house prices?

what's the ideal scenario for you?

mariaalice wrote: »

What don't those programs have the couple on 35k each who saved for years and brought in Bettystown or Lucan which is much more reflective of reality?

Populist horsesh1t has no interest in reality.

Recent primetime or Claire B or some crap had folk in their late 30s on, these people have always worked and done "everything right" etc etc but can't buy now so it's everyone else's fault.

Where the fnck were they 2013 to 2016 if they had done everything right? Probably renting at loony low rates and sneering at folk who had bought in the boom I imagine.

• Advertisement

ec18 wrote: »

Every waster getting sorted is the ideal for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,043 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Ok, so if your moved home - why look in Dublin only? You could probably get a lovely house in Cork, or Donegal.

Your giving an example of what it's like in Eindhoven - if you moved to London you might say different. It was your choice to live where you are living.

Should someone who is on the average wage be afford to buy a house in ANY area of Dublin or Ireland that they want to

Because cities cannot function with only tech workers or financiers.
    Cities need teachers, gardai, nurses, doctors, chefs, bar staff, binmen, and a massive amount of other jobs that keep things moving. A lot of these people can no longer afford to buy in Dublin (though in the past most of the could have).

Do you think they should just leave and those jobs go unfilled? because thats the alternative.

Populist horsesh1t has no interest in reality.

Recent primetime or Claire B or some crap had folk in their late 30s on, these people have always worked and done "everything right" etc etc but can't buy now so it's everyone else's fault.

Where the fnck were they 2013 to 2016 if they had done everything right? Probably renting at loony low rates and sneering at folk who had bought in the boom I imagine.

Saving maybe or struggling to get a job? Like most of us at that time. Not even 10 years ago and already we have revisionist history going on. Banks were very reluctant to lend back then, borrowing was even harder than it is today, and a lot of people found themselves out of work.

The only one sneering here is you

timmyntc wrote: »

The only one sneering here is you

Not at all, there was no mention of these folk being out of work......... saved for years etc etc
    Again, the presenters of the program are happy to go with the flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

once again, the big picture, what has in fact caused our current situation of high property price inflation v's low wage inflation, this didnt just happen out of the blue?

35k each, you d be lucky to buy a shed for that!

You can get three bed semi's in Dublin for sub €300k which is achievable with two incomes of €35k or so each.

You appear to think there is some reason property is the price it is and wages are not? Perhaps you could comment on this particular point and we could examine the merits of same!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

its clearly obvious that our political ideologies have largely failed over the last couple of decades, but we are insisting on continuing with them, we must recognise and accept these fundamental failures, in order to move on, to try resolve these failures, are we re all toast, including current property owners. so first step, acceptance, we re still struggling with this one, and it looks like we will be for some time yet, so.....!

as others have pointed out, theres really no easy fixes here, this is one hell of a complex mess, and we re not really sure how to move forward with it, but one thing is clear, the debts required to build must largely remain on the public balance sheet for the foreseeable, but we re not even at this realisation just yet, only some of us are, but not many!

so.......

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I say Dublin because that's the only place I'm likely to get the job I want. I get paid well to do the thing I'm experienced in. I thought that should be obvious, I'm hardly going to change industry and expect to be paid well.

Ha, why cite London? It's property market is even more broken than Dublin.

Yes, they should. Mixed cost developments work exceptionally well. It means people can live close to where they work. Including people at the lower end working in the service industry.

Do you think it's sustainable for a barber or a butcher to have to commute an hour to work in a more affluent area? I don't.

We are a million miles from that though. I earn 3-4 times the average wage and I'm excluded. What chance does a supervalu worked have?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Not at all, there was no mention of these folk being out of work......... saved for years etc etc
    Again, the presenters of the program are happy to go with the flow.

Theres your answer - they saved for years, presumably also through the downturn. Before you buy a house you have to save - they were unlucky they hadnt enough saved to buy when things were cheaper.

Whats your problem with that?

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/dun-eimear-eastham-road-bettystown-meath/4014227

Well within the range of a couple on an income of 35k each.

You can get three bed semi's in Dublin for sub €300k which is achievable with two incomes of €35k or so each.

You appear to think there is some reason property is the price it is and wages are not? Perhaps you could comment on this particular point and we could examine the merits of same!

its important to realise, these facts arent actually truly allowed or encouraged to be expressed here, but any how, i ll try again, yes we in fact are experiencing a catastrophic failure of political ideologies and their related policies, hence these outcomes

timmyntc wrote: »
    Because cities cannot function with only tech workers or financiers.
    Cities need teachers, gardai, nurses, doctors, chefs, bar staff, binmen, and a massive amount of other jobs that keep things moving. A lot of these people can no longer afford to buy in Dublin (though in the past most of the could have).

Do you think they should just leave and those jobs go unfilled? because thats the alternative.

I know that - but yesterday a poster said he was only looking at the south side because that's where his support bubble and friends are. Despite being able to afford on north side or commute belts he wouldn't entertain the idea.

You should buy where you can afford, not where you want - it's the want that is driving up the prices of houses as people want an area and that's final.

In the past some of the people you mention couldn't buy. Should a deliveroo driver be able to buy a house in Dublin? Genuine question? and if not why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Honest you're delusional. When I lived in Ireland my family income was over 150k, but we had 2 kids. A 400k house was about the most we could afford to live in. 320k mortgage at 4.5%.

I moved to the Netherlands, first year here my wife didn't work and my income was about 90k. Bought a house with a 100% mortgage at 1.3% for 375k. Could have had a mortgage as high as 550k at 1.3%.

I was paying more to live in a 3 bed in Celbridge than I am to live in a 4 bed near the centre of Eindhoven.

There is no area I can't afford to live in here. There are houses I can't afford to buy though obviously. If I moved home I would eliminate most of Dublin from my search because I can't afford it. Even with close to 150k savings.

The market in Ireland is broken. It needs massive surgery to fix.

Eindhoven is 130km from Amsterdam & about the same distance from the hague. Are you seriously saying it you went 130km outside dublin you wouldn't find cheaper properties?

The only solution is loads of social housing ........... but folk want people to pay €400k+ to live next door to someone who gives the kids scramblers for Christmas after they get the forever home for free. The later won't work and folk won't accept the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Conor Skehan has been criticised for comments such as the housing crisis is all quite normal.

While those views sound incendiary, I think they are delivered with bearing on what is happening elsewhere and that in reality, Dublin is no different. Go to any other major city in the Western world, and you will hear the same affordability issues since the financial crash and the difficulties for many to secure good quality and affordable (to a maximum of 30% costs to income) housing. You will also see homeless people in the streets. If you think we have it bad, have many of you seen US cities over the last decade?

I think we have it in spades because added to the above, we also have a much poorer transport infrastructure and Dublin's very unique and now well documented low density aspect. We also have wedded to the market being there to sort it all out principle, and coupled with the fact we are so attractive to FDIs - sure there was great value to be had once we had hit rock bottom .

So, it is normal, sort of, but in real time, it certainly isn't.

The only solution is loads of social housing ........... but folk want people to pay €400k+ to live next door to someone who gives the kids scramblers for Christmas after they get the forever home for free. The later won't work and folk won't accept the former.

nope, a combination of social and public housing, and please leave the prejudices out of the conversation!

• Advertisement

I say Dublin because that's the only place I'm likely to get the job I want. I get paid well to do the thing I'm experienced in. I thought that should be obvious, I'm hardly going to change industry and expect to be paid well.

Ha, why cite London? It's property market is even more broken than Dublin.

Yes, they should. Mixed cost developments work exceptionally well. It means people can live close to where they work. Including people at the lower end working in the service industry.

Do you think it's sustainable for a barber or a butcher to have to commute an hour to work in a more affluent area? I don't.

We are a million miles from that though. I earn 3-4 times the average wage and I'm excluded. What chance does a supervalu worked have?

I chose London because large amounts of Irish move there and live. How many move to the Netherlands to live?

Where are these developments going to be built in south city center region?
    The issues at hand here isn't living closer to where you work, it's owning a house close to where you live. Very different.

The side that believe they have this right to live anywhere - be in Tallaght or Howth, have yet to give a reasonable way of doing it - other than blame the government. The land isn't available to build houses in the areas that people are looking for.

mariaalice wrote: »

Where do you live Maria?

Bettystown is nice enough, though a lot of the city is difficult to travel to. But these kind of solutions are not sustainable or sensible. The solution is people not being able to buy in Dublin is not buying in Meath.

I chose London because large amounts of Irish move there and live. How many move to the Netherlands to live?

Where are these developments going to be built in south city center region?
    The issues at hand here isn't living closer to where you work, it's owning a house close to where you live. Very different.

The side that believe they have this right to live anywhere - be in Tallaght or Howth, have yet to give a reasonable way of doing it - other than blame the government. The land isn't available to build houses in the areas that people are looking for.

Nobody has ever argued the right to live in Howth, or “everywhere”. Just a reasonable house in the city they work in. On the other hand the other side are suggesting Meath.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭hometruths

I know that - but yesterday a poster said he was only looking at the south side because that's where his support bubble and friends are. Despite being able to afford on north side or commute belts he wouldn't entertain the idea.

You should buy where you can afford, not where you want - it's the want that is driving up the prices of houses as people want an area and that's final.

In the past some of the people you mention couldn't buy. Should a deliveroo driver be able to buy a house in Dublin? Genuine question? and if not why not?

I wonder why is it that the being close to the family support bubble seems to be most important to people who grew up in SCD?

I mean, loads of people grew up in Carlow but they don't all feel a burning desire to move back to Carlow to be close to the family support bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭ec18

fvp4 wrote: »
    Nobody has ever argued the right to live in Howth, or “everywhere”. Just a reasonable house in the city they work in. On the other hand the other side are suggesting Meath.

That's the point for your statement to be true both the above have to be. For example I'm a secretary for an accountant who's office is in Kilmainham therefore I should be able to buy a house in that area.

See how both things can't be true? Just because you work in an area or are from an area doesn't mean that you have a right/entitlement/option to buy a house there.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

We are also really behind the curve on being realistic. Many are very late coming to the party that Dublin, like any other capital city, is now very expensive to live in, whereas up until 2008, just about anyone on an average wage, or 2 of them combined, could have been able to buy something within the M50.

It was more exacerbated here because in the Celtic Tiger years banks gave mortgages to many who couldn’t in the end afford to make monthly payments.

It is this shock that is slowly registering with many. That they cannot afford where they want to be, even though there are 2 good jobs and they have deposits in place. That is a very common occurrence now across many cities in other countries.

If I was 40 years younger, I’d be getting a job elsewhere in the country or I’d be heading off to northern England or Scotland. Of course, it all depends what work you do. At the same time, the city needs new social and affordable housing. Key workers – nurses, teachers, shop workers, ambulance drivers, hospital porters, bin men. The list could go on and on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

its important to realise, these facts arent actually truly allowed or encouraged to be expressed here, but any how, i ll try again, yes we in fact are experiencing a catastrophic failure of political ideologies and their related policies, hence these outcomes

Your answer is vague so I will ask you to be specific about what political ideologies you are specifically referring to?

Where do you live Maria?

Bettystown is nice enough, though a lot of the city is difficult to travel to. But these kind of solutions are not sustainable or sensible. The solution is people not being able to buy in Dublin is not buying in Meath.

Kind of agree with you, but it's not the worst place and it has got the sea not everyone works in the city center and with flexible remote working it would be grand.

This a bit of a cliched answer but like most cliched answers there is some truth to it.

There is a difference between, I can't buy anything within an hour or so commute to work versus I cant buy where I want.

The voices in the public square have a million different answers to the housing issue in the greater Dublin area and all the answers contradict each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Where do you live Maria?

Just out of curiosity this morning I searched for 2+ bed properties in Dublin with max price of 250k. Myhome.ie returned 276 properties, mix of apartments & houses, some 3 beds, some with f&b gardens.

• Advertisement

That's the point for your statement to be true both the above have to be. For example I'm a secretary for an accountant who's office is in Kilmainham therefore I should be able to buy a house in that area.

See how both things can't be true? Just because you work in an area or are from an area doesn't mean that you have a right/entitlement/option to buy a house there.

Theres a huge difference between buying in Kilmainham and buying in Meath.
    Someone on average salary or higher should absolutely have some expectation of buying a house or apartment in Dublin. People earning below that amount should qualify for cost-rental or social housing, and people with no employment should get housed in less desirable/central areas - but thats a whole other discussion.

You can't seriously expect every household earning less than 100k to have to move to Kildare or Meath?

Advertisement