Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A difficult entrance

Options
  • 23-05-2021 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

I have a gate into the back garden that's difficult to get into on the bike. I've cut down a tree to ease access, as it was leaning across the space.
    But I'm still having problems with steps. They're not huge, but the sequence is a problem.
    First I have to get up the kerb off a narrow but busy main road. Then up a step from kerb to garden. Then, amost immediately another, so the front wheel is hitting it at the same time the rear is on the previous one. It's exhausting even describing it!
    Then the rear spins and I'm burning rubber and travelling sideways in a narrow space, half in, half out of the garden. Then I give up.
    I tried rubber ramps but when they arrived found they were plastic junk that flew back into the traffic.
    Wondering if anyone knows of any magic fix for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭goblin59

Breezin wrote: »
    I have a gate into the back garden that's difficult to get into on the bike. I've cut down a tree to ease access, as it was leaning across the space.
    But I'm still having problems with steps. They're not huge, but the sequence is a problem.
    First I have to get up the kerb off a narrow but busy main road. Then up a step from kerb to garden. Then, amost immediately another, so the front wheel is hitting it at the same time the rear is on the previous one. It's exhausting even describing it!
    Then the rear spins and I'm burning rubber and travelling sideways in a narrow space, half in, half out of the garden. Then I give up.
    I tried rubber ramps but when they arrived found they were plastic junk that flew back into the traffic.
    Wondering if anyone knows of any magic fix for this?

Could you take a picture?

A steel folding ramp might be your best option.
    What we use sometimes when working stage crew to fire cases up steps quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Breezin

goblin59 wrote: »
    Could you take a picture?

A steel folding ramp might be your best option.
    What we use sometimes when working stage crew to fire cases up steps quickly
    Folding ramp sounds a good idea.
    Will stick up a pic tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Duh...whats wrong with going through the house...are you a scardy cat..........:P

Duh...whats wrong with going through the house...are you a scardy cat..........:P
    I love that Max Headroom is contributing to a thread on access. :D
    House has steps up front and back. Not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

Sounds like a great reason to buy a multistrada

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭con747

Folding ramp sounds a good idea.
    Will stick up a pic tomorrow.

Have a look at this type if any good to you. https://tradewest.ie/product/2-3m-folding-motorcycle-loading-ramp/

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Why not just concrete in ramp into part of the steps. Like 25%of the step is ramp.

Sounds like a great reason to buy a multistrada

Ah no. Things aren't that bad!

con747 wrote: »
    Have a look at this type if any good to you. https://tradewest.ie/product/2-3m-folding-motorcycle-loading-ramp/

I have one of those. But I need to get my feet down each side to support the bike. It's too tight to walk up.

listermint wrote: »
    Why not just concrete in ramp into part of the steps. Like 25%of the step is ramp.

Can't concete the first step as that would be on the public footpath and invite eejits to trip over it for compo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭con747

I have one of those. But I need to get my feet down each side to support the bike. It's too tight to walk up.

Ok, so as was said above with the concrete but leave the step on the road as is and that should suffice no? A bag of ready mix would do the job.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Move house. Bosh.

zubair wrote: »
    Move house. Bosh.

Believe it or not, I've thought of it. Not on with SWMBO at the moment.

pix would help us understand the issue..in my head you live in a castle.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I keep seeing the title and thinking I've wandered into the Sex & Sexuality forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

A wide ramp. Almost triple width available.
    Remove or modify the internal step.
    Install a winch.
    Get a trail bike.

Pic of said entrance to my castle. :p (IMG tag not working for me... maybe permissions?)

There are actually four step-ups, including the kerb, not three, now that I look at it. As you can see, they're not high. But it's the combination of the first two in the pic that's stopping me.

Might look at wide ramps. I'm reluctant to concrete over because there's an ancient drain pipe under there, with a trap that sometimes needs attention. But I suppose if there isn't a magic wand solution, then I'll do it.

https://imgur.com/a/o7L2yiF

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭GBX

One thing id start with is keeping the steps clear of any crud/leaves. Will help with traction. Another option might be to secure some sort of thick rubber mat to one or two of the steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

That doesn't look too difficult at all.
    Those steps arnt as high as I imagined.
    As mentioned above I'd brush the loose leaves and earth away.
    You could also get some 2x2 or 3x3 timber and cut them along the diagonal to make little triangulated wooden ramps.
    These could be screw fixed into the corners.
    Have you got a turning space at the top so you don't have to reverse the bike down?

As above on the crud...Is it your house.?..If so i'd chamfer across the middle of each step 6 inches to get rid of the sharp edges..but deffo powerhose the crud away,,,might be all you need to do..

• Advertisement

The crud is not the problem. I wish it were. Already tried it when the whole setup is squeaky clean and dry. Yes, it's looking like concrete is the way forward -- the 6" suggestion is a good one, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Instead of adding a small concrete ramp to the step at the gate, you could cut into it and create a ramp that wouldn't stick out onto the footpath.
    You could do the same for the step inside the gate as well so the gate can open freely no matter where you put the ramp.

Take out the steps with a breaker. And put in smooth concrete. That incline appears tiny. Steps are unnecessary based on that image.

Take out the steps with a breaker. And put in smooth concrete. That incline appears tiny. Steps are unnecessary based on that image.

What's a breaker?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Google Kango Hammer Hire.

Smooth concrets...winter....rain....ice....ouch...:p

I have a sloapy paved entrance...lethal in winter...

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Run a brush over width ways to finish the concrete before it’s set to provide grip

Smooth concrets...winter....rain....ice....ouch...:p

I have a sloapy paved entrance...lethal in winter...

Thats a drainage and lack of cleaning problem not a concrete problem

Thats a drainage and lack of cleaning problem not a concrete problem

OUUUU..check out the big brain on Brad......:p

Setts are always kept clean.....;)

• Advertisement

Update (or, talking to the Internet for therapy): Concrete installed and problem partially resolved. :(

The bike needs to go in diagonally in order to get the handlebars through. Now, if I had a straight run, it would make it up, but I haven't so I would need to cut off the bike's left peg and my own.

Need a wider gate. A brief scan of the websites yields more or less expected results... plenty of standard sizes but no one offering a custom option. If anyone knows of a good gate guy, let me know!

A gleaming workshop space awaits me and the bike if we can just get past this fuggin' obstacle! Onwards and upwards... but not sideways.

Advertisement